PDA

View Full Version : Sad, sad story: Pregnant woman dies at Fenway

KalDanielsfan
08-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Wow. My heart goes out to this guy.

please watch:

http://www.cnn.com/video/partners/rss.pub/index.html?url=/video/us/2006/08/02/tucker.pregnant.woman.dies.wnyt.wnyt

redsfan4445
08-02-2006, 06:44 PM
My coworkers and i were just talking today how hot it was in the northeast and how could they play baseball during the day in the heat and how could it not affect justthe players , but the fans.. wow and to watch that my heart went out to that guy.. i am saying a prayer for him as i am sure many many people are around the country , as well as Boston are....

Ltlabner
08-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Some putz actually took his baby to the ballpark last night. They showed it on FSN. This wasn't a young kid, it was a baby. In a diaper and nothing else (Very classy, but that's a different point).

I couldn't tell but his seats looked very close to field level which had to have game time temps in the very high 90F range, perhaps over 100F. The humidity was horrible.

I'm not one of these people who thinks we should live in a bubble or wear helmets everywhere, but taking a baby to a ballgame (which I don't understand whatever the temp) on a VERY hot, humidy, poor air quality day doesn't strike me as very wise.

I can't watch the vid above as the hotel internet connection is horrible, but it sounds very heart breaking.

paintmered
08-02-2006, 06:50 PM
There really needs to be a reduced price on water during heat warnings. It would never happen (for economic reasons alone), but in the interest of safety, it would be nice to see an organization step up and make it easier for fans to keep hydrated. $4.00 bottled water does not promote proper hydration.

dougdirt
08-02-2006, 06:56 PM
There really needs to be a reduced price on water during heat warnings. It would never happen (for economic reasons alone), but in the interest of safety, it would be nice to see an organization step up and make it easier for fans to keep hydrated. $4.00 bottled water does not promote proper hydration.

$4.00 water doesnt promote anything except for greed.

KronoRed
08-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Heartbreaking :(

Gallen5862
08-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Heartbreaking :(
I agree with that feeling Kronored. That is a very tragic story.

TeamBoone
08-02-2006, 07:10 PM

Last year, the ballpark has free water stations when the temperature is in the 90's. They're small cups, but you can get as many as you want.

I don't know if they're doing it this year.

penantboundreds
08-02-2006, 07:20 PM
you can bring in unopened bottles too...coolers and all

KalDanielsfan
08-02-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure if this is the forum for this discussion but for the mother to choose between her own life and the baby's. omg My prayers go out to the father and his son for the rest of their lives.

could this guy ever go back to a ball game again???

goreds2
08-02-2006, 09:05 PM
you can bring in unopened bottles too...coolers and all

From the Reds website:

Guests are welcome to bring SOFT-SIDED coolers into Great American Ball Park provided the coolers' dimensions do not exceed the 16" x 16" x 8" inch Major League Baseball size requirement. HARD-SIDED coolers of any size are prohibited from entering the ballpark. Coolers and all carry-in items are always subject to inspection by Reds personnel prior to entrance to the ballpark or at any time while inside the ballpark.

Redsfan08
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
bad day to go baseball game

Yachtzee
08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
This is why they play night games. I wonder if the team had thought about moving the start time back to the the evening to let the temperature cool. Maybe MLB should look into recommeding that teams do that for day games where the temperature goes above a certain level. It's not like there are still ballparks without lights.

Team Clark
08-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Just awful. Not sure what else can be said.

ThornWithin81
08-02-2006, 10:53 PM
It's incredibly sad, but its also incredibly foolish going to a baseball game in 100 degree weather when you're seven months pregnant.

Sad story though.

fisch11
08-02-2006, 10:55 PM
The husband is a very strong individual. My prayers go out to him and his newborn son.

MartyFan
08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Sad, senseless, stupid, infuriating...all of those an more.

TeamBoone
08-02-2006, 11:19 PM
This is why they play night games. I wonder if the team had thought about moving the start time back to the the evening to let the temperature cool. Maybe MLB should look into recommeding that teams do that for day games where the temperature goes above a certain level. It's not like there are still ballparks without lights.

To be perfectly honest, playing a night game doesn't make much difference at this time of the year. I believe the gametime temp in Cincinnati tonight was 91 or 92... and humid as all get out, making the heat index even higher.

Yachtzee
08-02-2006, 11:28 PM
To be perfectly honest, playing a night game doesn't make much difference at this time of the year. I believe the gametime temp in Cincinnati tonight was 91 or 92... and humid as all get out, making the heat index even higher.

I'm not a medical doctor or an expert in meteorology, but I thought that being in the sun also has a lot to do with the effects of such high temperatures. I seem to recall something from boy scout camp where they said that sitting in direct sunlight will get you to heat stroke much faster than high temperatures. Combine the two and it's bad news. From what I gather, this couple was out in the bleachers. Not exactly the best location for anyone in such weather.

GoReds44
08-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Wow. What a story. Very sad.

DJF33
08-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Wow, that is sad.

I definitely have no right to call the guy's or girl's decision to go to the game stupid. My wife is due with our second son on the 20th of this month, and we took our son and two of my wife's friends to a game in early July against the Indians.

However, a couple innings in when she did not feel well either, we left her friends and went and sat in the air conditioned machine room for about 5 innings. Sure, I had to buy a lot of overpriced food to sit there that long, but now it seems worth it.

I will be thinking about that guy and his new son.

ChatterRed
08-03-2006, 08:09 AM
These kind of things make me both sad and mad.

Part of me feels like it was negligence on the part of the mother and then her husband. YOU DON'T GO TO A BALLGAME IN 90-100 DEGREE HEAT INDEX/TEMPERATURES WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT. You just don't do that. Therefore I think they were negligent.

But I am sad that she died. Wow. 29 years old, beautiful and a so much to live for. This should never have happened. Another stupid, shouldn't have happened death.

When are people going to learn. Maybe I'm more mad than sad.

Chip R
08-03-2006, 09:23 AM

Actually, they play night games so more people can go to the games. But it is tough to reschedule some of these day games because a lot of these are getaway days for one or both teams. Let's say the Reds are playing the Marlins in Miami and it's an afternoon game. The next day is an afternoon game in Chicago. You switch that FLA game to a night game and the Reds won't be getting into CHI till 2-3 in the morning. Then they have to be at the park a couple 3 hours before the game.

It gets hot in the summer. It's always hot in the summer. It's unfortunate that woman died but she could have just as easy died from going to a park or doing some other sort of outside activity. It wasn't the fact it was a baseball game that killed her, it was the weather.

REDREAD
08-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Part of me feels like it was negligence on the part of the mother and then her husband. YOU DON'T GO TO A BALLGAME IN 90-100 DEGREE HEAT INDEX/TEMPERATURES WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT. You just don't do that. Therefore I think they were negligent.

But I am sad that she died. Wow. 29 years old, beautiful and a so much to live for. This should never have happened. Another stupid, shouldn't have happened death.

When are people going to learn. Maybe I'm more mad than sad.

You can't make generalizations like that. Plenty of women that are 7 months pregnant have been outside all day in similiar conditions and lived. It's not as if she deliberately put herself in harms way. Pretty callous to call them stupid, IMO.

Sea Ray
08-03-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure if this is the forum for this discussion but for the mother to choose between her own life and the baby's. omg My prayers go out to the father and his son for the rest of their lives.

could this guy ever go back to a ball game again???

Just how did the mother make this choice? Wasn't she unconscious?

Tom B
08-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Does anyone have a link to the story instead of the video? I cant get it to play on my PC for some reason.

westofyou
08-03-2006, 10:47 AM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14152750/

ChatterRed
08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
You can't make generalizations like that. Plenty of women that are 7 months pregnant have been outside all day in similiar conditions and lived. It's not as if she deliberately put herself in harms way. Pretty callous to call them stupid, IMO.

Well, obviously my anger comes from the fact that SHE DIED. Duh. She didn't have to.

Heck, they tell average citizens to stay out of the heat when it gets this bad, so what would you expect a doctor to tell a pregnant woman? I'm sure you think they'd tell her to head to the desert and march across it with her winter coat on.

This is common sense. And if my wife was pregnant, I wouldn't be taking her to a MLB game in 90 plus degree heat with a heat index over 100. But that's just me..........maybe I'm a total idiot and we should all wait to take our pregnant wives when the heat index gets over 100. :bang:

blumj
08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Actually, they play night games so more people can go to the games. But it is tough to reschedule some of these day games because a lot of these are getaway days for one or both teams.

In this particular instance, it was the Fox Saturday game. I can't remember a game being rescheduled because of extremely hot weather, but it might not be a terrible idea. Last night, they had free water booths and misters set up at Fenway, it's a shame they didn't have them Saturday, or, if they did, that this happened anyway. It's a terrible tragedy, but perhaps it can be used to teach people how dangerous all kinds of extreme weather can be. We forget so easily.

Chip R
08-03-2006, 02:05 PM
In this particular instance, it was the Fox Saturday game. I can't remember a game being rescheduled because of extremely hot weather, but it might not be a terrible idea. Last night, they had free water booths and misters set up at Fenway, it's a shame they didn't have them Saturday, or, if they did, that this happened anyway. It's a terrible tragedy, but perhaps it can be used to teach people how dangerous all kinds of extreme weather can be. We forget so easily.

Yeah, I saw that after reading the article. It's a shame that happened but it was preventable. I don't blame the Sox or Fox or MLB. Like I said, in summer it gets hot in July and August. There are heat waves almost every year. It's not like it was something that hardly ever happens. Every time something like this (heat wave, snow storm, etc) people act like this has never happened before and they don't know what to do.

KittyDuran
08-03-2006, 02:19 PM
This coming Reds game on Saturday vs Atlanta will be a day game with the forecast at 90 degrees :help:.

REDREAD
08-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, obviously my anger comes from the fact that SHE DIED. Duh. She didn't have to.

Heck, they tell average citizens to stay out of the heat when it gets this bad, so what would you expect a doctor to tell a pregnant woman? I'm sure you think they'd tell her to head to the desert and march across it with her winter coat on.

This is common sense. And if my wife was pregnant, I wouldn't be taking her to a MLB game in 90 plus degree heat with a heat index over 100. But that's just me..........maybe I'm a total idiot and we should all wait to take our pregnant wives when the heat index gets over 100. :bang:

It's a tradegy, no doubt. But I had two of our children in the South. One of them was born at the end of summer.My wife went outside everyday for extended periods of time, even when it was 100+ (not heat index, the real temp). Obviously, she wasn't doing physical labor. The key is, she didn't let herself get dehydrated. I guess my point is that it wasn't a reckless risk to take a pregnant woman to a ballgame.

Ltlabner
08-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Still just a horrible story.

I'm suprised that more people in those LF bleacher seats don't get overheated and have issues. They just look like they are baking away over there.