PDA

View Full Version : Is Narron serious?

EKURed
08-03-2006, 08:06 AM
He can't be....

"The play that Royce made to end the game the other night in Milwaukee is as good a play as you're going to see," said Narron, referring to the game-ending double play Clayton started Friday. "I know everybody, fan-wise, was disappointed that we didn't turn the double play (Tuesday) night, but the game in Milwaukee the other night, there's a lot of guys that don't make that play."

KalDanielsfan
08-03-2006, 08:28 AM
narron should work for FOX. that was foxnews-worthy SPIN right there.

i believe narron is trying to justify Clayton/Majewski/Bray as much as possible to the fans FOR Krivsky. As well as spinning it for the media outlets (espn, si.com, etc) so that THEY even overrate the past trades.

Ever since we started playing against some playoff contending teams, what has been our record? hmmm?

Always Red
08-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Here's my theory on that: all managers and GM have favorites (exactly why was Jason Romano with us in prior years-LOL).

Narron had managed Clayton before, in Texas, and in his mind, Royce is still the SS he was years ago when Narron and he were both with the Rangers.

The Reds problems right now are not Royce Clayton's fault. Heck he made a couple of nice plays and hit a HR last night. The Reds are just in the middle of a team-wide hitting slump right now, hopefully short-lived. They need to come out of it soon, or the criticism for dealing Lopez and Kearns will become even louder than it already is.

I look at Clayton as a stopgap SS, to finish out this season. They'll either find a new one for next year, or move Phillips over in the offseason- which makes more sense, as it probably is easier to find 2B than SS (didn't we just have 4 of them in April?). Clayton doesn't bother me at all, and is there basically just to make the routine throw, which Lopez struggled with and apparently drove Kriv and Narron nuts.

Always Red
08-03-2006, 08:35 AM
i believe narron is trying to justify Clayton/Majewski/Bray as much as possible to the fans FOR Krivsky. As well as spinning it for the media outlets (espn, si.com, etc) so that THEY even overrate the past trades.

I agree totally. He's just watching Clayton's back, which is a good thing for a manager to do, IMO.

smith288
08-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Or CNN for us evil conservatives... :rolleyes:

fielder's choice
08-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Clayton doesn't bother me at all, and is there basically just to make the routine throw

Too bad he can't anymore, not to mention he has the worst range of any SS I've ever watched. Lopez is 10x the shortstop Clayton is. Most of Lopez's errors were on tough plays that Clayton wouldn't even have gotten to.

smith288
08-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Too bad he can't anymore, not to mention he has the worst range of any SS I've ever watched. Lopez is 10x the shortstop Clayton is. Most of Lopez's errors were on tough plays that Clayton wouldn't even have gotten to.
10x? Out of curiosity, how did you come to that figure? ;)

KalDanielsfan
08-03-2006, 08:43 AM
hey whatever happened to Pokey Reese? did he retire?

fielder's choice
08-03-2006, 08:44 AM
10x? Out of curiosity, how did you come to that figure? ;)

Rough estimate.

Heath
08-03-2006, 08:45 AM
hey whatever happened to Pokey Reese? did he retire?

I think Pokey has a few irons in the fire, so to speak, that led him to the sidelines.

KalDanielsfan
08-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I think Pokey has a few irons in the fire, so to speak, that led him to the sidelines.

sorry im not familiar with that metaphor :confused: explain please?

also D'Angelo Jiminez...where did he go?? i liked him at 2b. We let him go last year right?

Always Red
08-03-2006, 08:55 AM

also D'Angelo Jiminez...where did he go?? i liked him at 2b. We let him go last year right?
speaking of old Reds, we could really use Kal Daniel's bat right now...:)

smith288
08-03-2006, 08:56 AM

Man...you must be a huge fan.

Jimenez went to Texas but believe he was DFAd

KalDanielsfan
08-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Man...you must be a huge fan.

Jimenez went to Texas but believe he was DFAd

actually yeah i AM a huge fan but I forgot what had happened to the guy.

KalDanielsfan
08-03-2006, 09:01 AM

any black guy named Kalvoski is pretty dope in my book

Heath
08-03-2006, 09:26 AM

Pokey has had some issues away from baseball that led him to "retire".

D'Lo's probably still with Texas or something. Not a big loss.

Heath
08-03-2006, 09:27 AM

Yeah, but I don't want his knees or waistline either.

flyer85
08-03-2006, 09:31 AM
He can't be....

"The play that Royce made to end the game the other night in Milwaukee is as good a play as you're going to see," said Narron, referring to the game-ending double play Clayton started Friday. "I know everybody, fan-wise, was disappointed that we didn't turn the double play (Tuesday) night, but the game in Milwaukee the other night, there's a lot of guys that don't make that play."I happened to listen to Skinner on the way to work this morning and he really took Narron to task for the comment. A good SS would have made the play without falling down like Royce did. BYW, Skinner also took Narron to task for the reason RA plays is defense comment. Skinner had statistic from the last 30 days which basically killed the defense argument.

It's still all about the starting pitching and I don't think the Reds have nearly enough.

BRM
08-03-2006, 09:33 AM
It's still all about the starting pitching and I don't think the Reds have nearly enough.

Sure they do. Kyle Lohse is here now.

redsmetz
08-03-2006, 09:34 AM
He can't be....

"The play that Royce made to end the game the other night in Milwaukee is as good a play as you're going to see," said Narron, referring to the game-ending double play Clayton started Friday. "I know everybody, fan-wise, was disappointed that we didn't turn the double play (Tuesday) night, but the game in Milwaukee the other night, there's a lot of guys that don't make that play."

My son and I were at that game in Milwaukee. That ball clearly looked like it was going through and the game would be tied. While Clayton didn't make it look beautiful, he smothered the ball, got up and touched second and got it on to first to END the game and preserve the win. It was a heckuva play and got my heart going again knowing we'd won the game.

Always Red
08-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah, but I don't want his knees or waistline either.
ouch!

I haven't seen Kalvoski lately, but I'm not sure he'd want my waistline, either!:)

EKURed
08-03-2006, 10:50 AM
My son and I were at that game in Milwaukee. That ball clearly looked like it was going through and the game would be tied. While Clayton didn't make it look beautiful, he smothered the ball, got up and touched second and got it on to first to END the game and preserve the win. It was a heckuva play and got my heart going again knowing we'd won the game.

I'm guessing if you watch most big league shortstops, they make that play routinely. He looks very unsure of himself if you ask me.

Razor Shines
08-03-2006, 12:18 PM

Ever since we started playing against some playoff contending teams, what has been our record? hmmm?
Since the ASB 10-8, for the season 33-33.