PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Is a miracle worker

howyoufreelin
08-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't know how this guy does it. His fastball barely hits 88, he doesn't haver great stuff, but he just gets people out. And he is immune to pressure, he can get out of any jam at any given time. And the emotion he shows on the mound. I really like to see that out of a pitcher. Wayne did a marvelous job in picking him up. :beerme:

jimbo
08-04-2006, 10:15 PM
His success comes from his heart, not his arm. You have to love the fire and intensity he brings to the team.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I like Eddie for the same reason I like Carlos Zambrano. No matter what team they're on, you have to love that fire for the game, when you can see they really care.

Great performance tonight getting out of the jam

FoReel
08-04-2006, 10:24 PM
When he is out there on the mound, he looks like a crazy homicidal maniac, that is staring dow his next victim. He does his job just like a mass murder, he does it with passion, and thats why i think he gets the job done.

goreds2
08-04-2006, 10:43 PM
His success comes from his heart, not his arm. You have to love the fire and intensity he brings to the team.

My thoughts exactly. :thumbup:

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 10:52 PM
this is why, when you add 95+ mph fastballs, we called them the Nasy Boys back in 1990

i see some randy myers in Eddie, if only he threw 10mph harder

Phhhl
08-04-2006, 10:54 PM
It is hard to understand where his success comes from. His stuff is flat and slow. Deception appears to be the key with Eddie.

I am really enjoying his celebrations after each save. They are starting to get more and more dicey, though.

Ltlabner
08-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I just got home from the game. It was an electric finish. After the bases were loaded and nobody was out I had that sinking fealing in my stomach. Deno had a nice catch and it was good to see Castro make the first part of the DP.

But Everyday Eddie is amazing. As stated while not totally overpowering he has a way of getting the job done. Doesn't get rattled. Wow.

Absoltuly amazing.

Team Clark
08-05-2006, 01:48 AM
I just got home from the game. It was an electric finish. After the bases were loaded and nobody was out I had that sinking fealing in my stomach. Deno had a nice catch and it was good to see Castro make the first part of the DP.

But Everyday Eddie is amazing. As stated while not totally overpowering he has a way of getting the job done. Doesn't get rattled. Wow.

Absoltuly amazing.

You can see the forearm is still botherng him. He just finds a way. Guys who have been in the bigs as long as he has just find a way to have success. Nice little scare tonight.

NJReds
08-05-2006, 08:17 AM
You can see the forearm is still botherng him. He just finds a way. Guys who have been in the bigs as long as he has just find a way to have success. Nice little scare tonight.

What I think could ultimately be of the most value from acquiring Eddie is his attitude out on the mound. I hope Bray and Coffey are taking notes.

Ltlabner
08-05-2006, 08:21 AM

TC, while he was throwing his warm up pitches I commented to my father that it looked like his arm was hurting and he was mearly tossing the ball up there. Lots of his warm up throws were high.

Is this really a sign of the arm troubles or is that how he normally warms up (just makes some throws and then turns up the heat when the game starts) ?

keeganbrick
08-05-2006, 09:31 AM
It is hard to understand where his success comes from. His stuff is flat and slow. Deception appears to be the key with Eddie.

I am really enjoying his celebrations after each save. They are starting to get more and more dicey, though.
Did you see Weathers' prolonged pump fist last night? It was quite refreshing to see.

Always Red
08-05-2006, 09:34 AM
The league change has also helped Eddie G; hope it does the same for Kyle Lohse!

I do admire Eddie's fire and intensity; it's definitely been a plus:thumbup:

RedsMan3203
08-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Everyday Eddie isn't no Danny Graves....

REDSEER
08-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Eddie's emotion seems to be feeding off to our other relievers. No way would I ever imagine that Weathers would get that excited in a game.....

I also read in the ESPN recap of the game that Narron held a pregame meeting telling the team to show more emotion and have more fun out on the field, which many of us here on Redszone have been calling for....

Maybe Narron is doing a little bit better of a job than most of us (including me) think....

max venable
08-05-2006, 09:40 AM
I picked Eddie up for my fantasy team as soon as he was traded to the Reds. And he's doin' me proud. :beerme:

TeamBoone
08-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Saturday, August 5, 2006

Reds get the message
Team ends losing skein, beats Braves
BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds gathered as a team before Friday's game to talk over some things.

The meeting was quick, to the point and manager Jerry Narron's calmly delivered message was well received based on what transpired during a 5-4 win against the Braves at Great American Ball Park.

"We talked about how you have to go out there and play with emotion," shortstop Royce Clayton said. "You have to play with passion.

"I think today kind of exemplified the type of character we have and the passion and the wanting to win. We're going to be tough to beat if we play with that type of passion and dedication."

A two-run home run by Clayton on a full count in the sixth inning halted a no-hit bid by Braves left-hander Chuck James, tied the game at two, and jolted the Reds to life. Three batters later, and with a new pitcher on the mound, third baseman Edwin Encarnacion added a two-run double the Reds wound up needing every bit of to end a five-game losing streak.

A sensational head-first diving catch in foul territory by right fielder Ryan Freel in the eighth inning, clutch performances by reliever David Weathers in the eighth and closer Eddie Guardado in the ninth, and a game-ending double play with the bases loaded added to the highlights.

"It was an exciting ball game," Narron said. "I'm just glad we won it."

The teams traded runs in the seventh inning, making it a 5-3 game entering the eighth.

Reds relief pitcher Rheal Cormier allowed a leadoff home run by Braves right fielder Jeff Francoeur and a double before Weathers came in to pitch.

Freel dove head-first across the right field line to catch a foul pop-up by Braves pinch hitter Matt Diaz for the first out. After pinch-hitter Adam LaRoche grounded out to second base, Weathers struck out Atlanta third baseman Willy Aybar looking.

Guardado loaded the bases with nobody out in the ninth after a single, double and intentional walk. He got a flyout followed by a game-ending double play started by third baseman Juan Castro.

"Everybody contributed tonight," said Castro, who drove in the Reds' fifth run with a single in the seventh. "... Today's win, I think, is huge for us."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060805/SPT04/608050416/1071

Weathers calms the storm
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

David Weathers, one of the old hands in the bullpen, bailed out one of the new guys Friday night.

Weathers entered in the eighth with the tying run at second and no outs after Rheal Cormier gave up a home run and a double.

Weathers went 1-2-3 - with a large assist from Ryan Freel - to preserve the lead, and the Reds went on to win 5-4 and break their five-game losing streak.

"It's been a while since I've been in a game like that," Weathers said. "I didn't know what to do with myself."

Weathers, a 37-year-old right-hander, began the year as the club's closer. His role has decreased in importance as the year has gone on and the Reds have added new arms.

"For whatever reason, I haven't been in a game in critical situation for a long time," he said. "But my confidence never wavered."

Now, Weathers is pitching very well again. His ERA is 2.16 over his last 16 appearances.

The big out for Weathers was the first one Friday. Matt Diaz lofted a pop-up toward the line in right. Freel may be the only right fielder in baseball to get to the ball and he only got to it with a head-long dive into the warning track.

"Great play. That's what you have to do," Weathers said. "Pick each other up."

Weathers got Adam LaRoche to ground out and then froze Willy Aybar for a called strike three.

"Stormy has pitched better than his numbers all year," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "Even when people were down on him, he was making pitches."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060805/SPT04/608050419/1071

TDHND
08-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Keep up the good work Everyday Eddie!

KalDanielsfan
08-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Eddie's emotion seems to be feeding off to our other relievers. No way would I ever imagine that Weathers would get that excited in a game.....

I also read in the ESPN recap of the game that Narron held a pregame meeting telling the team to show more emotion and have more fun out on the field, which many of us here on Redszone have been calling for....

Maybe Narron is doing a little bit better of a job than most of us (including me) think....

Eddie has always been fiery and emotional..I think the weathers outburst was an anomaly. just caught in the moment.

I hate to think that Narron of all people, has to be the person to get this team going. I think Dunn and Griffey and Richie A need to step up as veterans and get this team going.

these are the little things that make a huge difference on a team and make me miss the chemistry they had last year with guys like Sean Casey and Joe Randa (remember opening day with the walk off?)

TeamBoone
08-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I think Dunn and Griffey and Richie A need to step up as veterans and get this team going.

Those three names in the same sentence as veterans... even though Adam is officially in his 6th year, he only completes his fifth year at the middle of this month. I wouldn't classify him as a veteran like Griffey and Aurilia quite yet.

KalDanielsfan
08-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Those three names in the same sentence as veterans... even though Adam is officially in his 6th year, he only completes his fifth year at the middle of this month. I wouldn't classify him as a veteran like Griffey and Aurilia quite yet.

maybe in terms of age/experience he's not a vet, but he def. needs to step up and be a leader of this team....thats what i meant i guess

TeamBoone
08-05-2006, 05:01 PM
We don't know what happens in the clubhouse. Perhaps he/they ARE leaders.

Actually, I didn't realize that you were even talking about them being leaders... I thought you meant, as veterans, that they need to step up their play to get the team going.