PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Think Claimed Andruw Jones???

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 10:56 PM
reports show that one un-named team has claimed Andruw Jones..I thought it was peculiar that the report said that the one team is now in talks with Atlanta yet they havent named the team yet.

And it shouldnt matter at this point if the team's name is revealed, Andruw and the rest of MLB know it was a team--period.

wonder who it was

Newman4
08-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this happen quite often and the player's current team just takes them off waivers and keeps them?

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 11:03 PM
the report is that one team claimed and that atlanta is in talks with un identified team.

also you are from wheelersburg? haha I grew up in Chesapeake bro.

Chesapeake to Los Angeles..crazy huh

Phhhl
08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this happen quite often and the player's current team just takes them off waivers and keeps them?

That's basically true, but there IS a reason why these guys are put on waivers. They don't have to be. Atlanta is concerned about Jones getting his 10/5 rights and becoming, basically, untradable. I believe that is going to happen some time this month. I've heard Boston wants to deal for Jones, then move him to Houston for Roy Oswalt... or, something like that. Something could happen with him if the right team claimed him.

wojo1025
08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49688

Newman4
08-04-2006, 11:08 PM
the report is that one team claimed and that atlanta is in talks with un identified team.

also you are from wheelersburg? haha I grew up in Chesapeake bro.

Chesapeake to Los Angeles..crazy huh

Actually, originally from closer to Chesapeake than the Burg. I grew up near Rock Camp, Ohio in Lawrence Co. if you know where that is. :thumbup:

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Actually, originally from closer to Chesapeake than the Burg. I grew up near Rock Camp, Ohio in Lawrence Co. if you know where that is. :thumbup:

Of course I know where that is. good to meet ya bro. did u go to green township or rock hill or something?

my folks still live in chesapeake..havent been back to lawrence county in a couple of years

TeamBoone
08-04-2006, 11:33 PM
That's basically true, but there IS a reason why these guys are put on waivers. They don't have to be. Atlanta is concerned about Jones getting his 10/5 rights and becoming, basically, untradable. I believe that is going to happen some time this month. I've heard Boston wants to deal for Jones, then move him to Houston for Roy Oswalt... or, something like that. Something could happen with him if the right team claimed him.

George and Chris were talking about this during the game. I believe they said the date Jones becomes 10/5 eligible is August 15 or 18?

They also said the Braves weren't looking to move him, but an unidentified team is interested and Atlanta is talking to them.

And if all this is true, which I have no reason to believe it isn't with the discussion that took place during the game, what a shame that the Braves would cheat him out of his 10/5 rights just days before he becomes eligible.

steig
08-04-2006, 11:47 PM
i vote boston claimed him. They are looking for a bat and Nixon has been hurt.

Joseph
08-04-2006, 11:50 PM
I think they have 36 hours to work out a deal, so if he's not in the lineup tomorrow we might know something is close.

BrooklynRedz
08-04-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't buy the Boston rumors. I'd look to the NL if yr looking for a claim on Jones. Still don't think they'll move him unless they're blown away. Could be negotiating play by ATL to come to terms on a 2-3 yr deal with limited no-trade clause. Win-win situation for both.

Joseph
08-04-2006, 11:59 PM
The no-trade clause is a moot point in about a week as he gets 10-5, so I doubt there is negotiation of that point.

Highlifeman21
08-05-2006, 12:06 AM
I bet a lot of money that it's not the Reds.

Although, it would be convenient logistically if we did pick him up since they are in town and all.....

Oh, to dream...

BrooklynRedz
08-05-2006, 12:11 AM
The no-trade clause is a moot point in about a week as he gets 10-5, so I doubt there is negotiation of that point.

They can deal him today to Milwaukee or some other city he's not so keen on where he'll have to play next year. I'd imagine that is some incentive to get him to the table.

TeamBoone
08-05-2006, 01:04 AM
I doubt Milwaukee is in the picture. I believe they said he makes something like $13 million a year.

KalDanielsfan
08-05-2006, 01:15 AM
word out here that it is the Angels who are in talks with Atlanta. Stoneman caught a lot of flak for not adding a bat at the deadline and is making up for it now with talk of sending Ervin Santana and cash for jones

BEETTLEBUG
08-05-2006, 01:16 AM
I bet a lot of money that it's not the Reds.

Although, it would be convenient logistically if we did pick him up since they are in town and all.....

Oh, to dream...

i hope your dream is true, Jones on Reds tomorrow would be SWEET!

KalDanielsfan
08-05-2006, 01:18 AM
word out here that it is the Angels who are in talks with Atlanta. Stoneman caught a lot of flak for not adding a bat at the deadline and is making up for it now with talk of sending Ervin Santana and cash for jones

Kennedy is gettng benched, izturis to second, figgins to 3b and jones in center.

just heard it on the radio

BrooklynRedz
08-05-2006, 01:30 AM
I doubt Milwaukee is in the picture. I believe they said he makes something like $13 million a year.

Oh, I was just throwing that out there as an example.

The Angels makes sense, though.

deltachi8
08-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Whitesox

PuffyPig
08-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Santana would never make it through waivers.

REDSEER
08-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Personally, I think the team that claimed him is the Houston Astros....they are always looking for offense, and barely gained any at the deadline (Huff).

I don't think that Jones could go all the way through the NL waivers without getting picked up by a Houston or St. Louis team that needs outfield production desperately....

As for the Ervin Santana for Jones trade, it would be tough for that to happen because Santana would have to pass through the whole American league without getting claimed.....a young ace like him has almost no chance at that......that's why the non-waiver deadline is such a big story.....trades like this are almost impossible to do....

Most of the time you'll see trades like the Todd Jones for prospects a few years ago...

DannyB
08-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I think the player coming back to the Braves has to clear also.
Didnt Jim Bowden claim Mariano Duncan to break up a waiver deal?

IslandRed
08-05-2006, 10:28 AM

Exactly.

After doing some more reading on the waiver claim orders, the bit I saw the other day was probably wrong -- instead of the July 31 standings, the claim order for a player appears to be based on the standings at the time he was placed on waivers. And that same source said it's now like the draft where the AL and NL teams are mixed together; Jones would no longer have to pass through NL waivers before AL clubs could put in a claim.

If that's the case, then a deal like that could happen if Jones was claimed by the Angels and Santana was claimed by the Braves. With the Angels around .500 and the Braves below that, it's at least theoretically possible.

But the team has to make a decision to keep, trade or cut loose a claimed player pretty quickly, so any Jones trade will be done very soon or it won't happen at all.

ChatterRed
08-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Yankees. They're going to claim everyone off waivers so they can have a whole second team of starters sitting on the bench and so Steinbrenner can have his payroll go over 500 million.

KalDanielsfan
08-05-2006, 12:02 PM

actually you are right. i heard the broadcast wrong. they were talking about pre trade deadline deals and I thought they were still talking about the waiver wire.

my mistake.

Mario-Rijo
08-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Santana would not make it through. This is why you always see the said player get dealt for P(s)TBNL, and later is usually after the season so that the player cannot be claimed. That would be risky on Atl.'s part due to the fact that Santana is likely going to continue to pitch for the Halo's. Of course the Angels have a surplus of young players, do minor league players have to clear waivers?