PDA

View Full Version : Booing in St. Lew?

Phhhl
08-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Tonight, there were some boo birds in the greatest baseball town in the history of the world? Funny how some of that magnanimous class takes a hike when faced with a little adversity.

It's just like anyplace else.

2.5 back...

KalDanielsfan
08-04-2006, 11:01 PM
who claimed ST Lou to have the greatest fans and greatest baseball town..by far its the red sox with the cubs a close second...i've been to fenway and wrigley and the old busch and there's no comparison.

Phhhl
08-04-2006, 11:06 PM
who claimed ST Lou to have the greatest fans and greatest baseball town..by far its the red sox with the cubs a close second...i've been to fenway and wrigley and the old busch and there's no comparison.

SI, ESPN just about every night, a lot of folks here on Redszone... but, not me.

Newman4
08-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Tonight, there were some boo birds in the greatest baseball town in the history of the world? Funny how some of that magnanimous class takes a hike when faced with a little adversity.

It's just like anyplace else.

2.5 back...

Of course, they probably think they boo better than everyone else too. Isn't it physically difficult for the St. Louie fans to boo with your nose that far in the air and your head so big? :evil:

MWM
08-04-2006, 11:13 PM

Actually, the people of St. Louis will tell you themselves.

Always Red
08-05-2006, 12:11 AM
No way! Booing in St. L? the Mecca of MLB? The Nirvana of the baseball world? I don't believe it for a minute!

Actually, I do. Cards fans are normal people (I think), like the rest of us, critical of bad baseball.

I lived in Chicago for 5 years. Cubs fans do not know baseball at all- they are there strictly for the show and the party.:cool:

White Sox fans were MUCH more knowledgable about the game:thumbup:

Highlifeman21
08-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Actually, the people of St. Louis will tell you themselves.

And if they don't, George Grande sure as heck will...

oregonred
08-05-2006, 02:12 AM
I remember spending a summer in Colorado in '97. Had the fortune to go to some Rockies games the same weekend that the first boo-birds came out for the first time in franchise history. The 4.5 year honeymoon was over...

STL is a great bball town, but if their fanbase had to put up with the horsecrap that the knowledgeable Reds fanbase have been forced to endure from ownership and on the field since the early 90s, they'd be stuggling at the gate as well.

Phhhl
08-05-2006, 02:46 AM
I remember spending a summer in Colorado in '97. Had the fortune to go to some Rockies games the same weekend that the first boo-birds came out for the first time in franchise history. The 4.5 year honeymoon was over...

STL is a great bball town, but if their fanbase had to put up with the horsecrap that the knowledgeable Reds fanbase have been forced to endure from ownership and on the field since the early 90s, they'd be stuggling at the gate as well.

That's pretty much what I am getting at, too. Though I despise the Cards, I really have nothing against St. Louis or it's fans. But, winning tends to make a pretty happy fanbase. Cleveland sold out the Jake for several seasons in a row in the mid 90's, but it's not exactly that kind of baseball wonderland these days. I remember the Reds playing to some paltry crowds in St. Louis back when they stunk. Reds attendance has not been great, but it will gain steadily as the product improves. Why the media seems to need to prop up some of these cities to be something they're not is beyond me.

oregonred
08-05-2006, 03:02 AM
One fanbase that keeps showing up at the gate despite a long losing run is the Orioles.

Playing 18 home games a year vs. the Yanks/Red Sox serves as a nice buffer as I'm sure most of those sell out with opposing fans. Camden serves as a draw, but it is pretty impressive that they've been in the 30K range during some awful years.

Besides the A's (forever the stepchild in Bay Area and in a crappy location) The Twins have been one that's baffled me on the bad side. THey still can barely draw 2M. I know the Metrodome is a dump, but they've won three division titles in the last four years. Maybe too many competing interests (4-sport, Big Ten school) in a relatively mid-size market.

Cleveland's fairweather-ness has been amazing to see. They went from 3.5M a year in the late 90s to hoping to find 2M since.

macro
08-05-2006, 10:39 AM
SI, ESPN just about every night, a lot of folks here on Redszone... but, not me.

...and Jeff Brantley said they were, too...

TDHND
08-05-2006, 10:40 AM
The door is being left open for us to come back and take the division,now we just need to take advantage of it.

StillFunkyB
08-05-2006, 10:48 AM
I went to a Reds/Cards game in St. Louis earlier this year.

I really don't think you can say ANYONE has the best fans, etc. However I did notice that when the Reds made a nice play you could hear fans clapping.

Also, not one single person made a smart remark about me wearing Reds gear. Overall, it was a nice expierience. I have gotten crap in Chicago for wearing Reds gear when I wasn't even at the game.

RBA
08-05-2006, 10:17 PM
I watch the end of the Cardinals game tonight. The pbp guy said "The Greatest Baseball Town has a winner again" when the Cardinals won. I think I shall refer to St Louis as "The Greatest EGO Town"

KalDanielsfan
08-05-2006, 10:18 PM
I watch the end of the Cardinals game tonight. The pbp guy said "The Greatest Baseball Town has a winner again" when the Cardinals won. I think I shall refer to St Louis as "The Greatest EGO Town"
agreed

kheidg-
08-05-2006, 10:23 PM

A bit argumentive tonight there Kal?

Newman4
08-05-2006, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=RBA]The pbp guy said "The Greatest Baseball Town has a winner again"QUOTE]

:barf:

pahster
08-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Also, not one single person made a smart remark about me wearing Reds gear. Overall, it was a nice expierience. I have gotten crap in Chicago for wearing Reds gear when I wasn't even at the game.

My experience was actually the opposite. Nobody in Chicago bugged me at all, and in St. Louis the only people who said anything were some idiot drunks outside the stadium before the game (a day game. Nice).

My experience in Cincy and Covington was actually the worst. Several people made snide comments towards my girlfriend, who was wearing a Cubs shirt. How classy of them.

MWM
08-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, the whole "greatest baseball town" thing would carry a little more weight if they weren't the ones constantly bringing it up.

I used to really enjoy Cards fans, but they're starting to approach Cubs or UK basketball as teams I can't stand simply because of their fans. UK basketball, Cubs, Braves, and Dallas Cowboys are the only teams I've ever loathed simply by exposure to their fans. Cards fans are so caught up in their own virtue they are close to joining that list.

MWM
08-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Cubs fans in Chicago aren't that bad. Cubs fans outside of Chicago are insufferable.

Newman4
08-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, the whole "greatest baseball town" thing would carry a little more weight if they weren't the ones constantly bringing it up.

I used to really enjoy Cards fans, but they're starting to approach Cubs or UK basketball as teams I can't stand simply because of their fans. UK basketball, Cubs, Braves, and Dallas Cowboys are the only teams I've ever loathed simply by exposure to their fans. Cards fans are so caught up in their own virtue they are close to joining that list.

The Pittsburgh Steelers bandwagoners say don't forget us!

MWM
08-05-2006, 10:57 PM
I've never had a problem with Stiller fans (until this past post-season when they basically REFUSED to admit that their win against the Bengals had ANYTHING whatsoever to do with Palmer's injury. And Cowher's bush league who-dey chants doesn't help either). It takes large sample sizes and years worth of angst before I consider adding them to my list.

BoomerSoonerRed
08-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Even though my town is closer to Arlington, Texas and Kansas City, Missouri (and my Astro co-worker/friend says Houston's closer as well), for some reason we're a freakin' Cardinal stronghold. The Cards are the only team that is broadcast on any of our radio stations and they're the only team talked about on the local TV stations. At least our local paper, while running AP stories on the Cardinals, runs a good amount of Rangers/Royals stories. Most (but not all) Cardinal fans I know think that baseball was invented in St. Louis and that they truly believe they are "the greatest baseball fans in the world."
For the record, not only am I a Reds fan, but I'm a Rangers fan as well. What disgusts me is that our local media and most of the people here in town go ga-ga over the Cowboys but not the Rangers (and I'm a Cowboy fan, too) while they also go ga-ga over the Cardinals but not the Rams. But let the record state that the last team from St. Louis to win a world title was the Rams back in '99.
What made tonight's game tolerable for me was that I work with one of the very few Cardinal fans I actually like, so tonight wasn't exactly doing time in a Turkish prison (but pretty close). But I probably would've got into fistfights with other Cardinal fans after tonight's performance.

foxfire123
08-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Try living here. You'll just see how "good" of baseball fans they really are. I've had insults thrown at me, beer dumped down my back or other basic jacka&& attitude displays of some sort nearly *every* time we've been to Busch.

Granted, since they're successful, you're getting alot of fair weather fans right now who are on the bandwagon, but overall, I just can't see where the Cardinals fans are "the best fans in baseball". I've met very few people I'd consider true baseball fans while living here--they're all Cardinals or nothing.

I wish I had a nickle for every one of them that's told me I "have to be a Cardinals fan now that I live here". I could afford to retire and move back home to Ohio.

Foxfire123

CrackerJack
08-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Granted, since they're successful, you're getting alot of fair weather fans right now who are on the bandwagon
Foxfire123

Ah, sounds like pro football season in Cincinnati now.

So many problems at games they had to institute a complaint # for games so that fans could report others immediately who are out of line.

If they can pick out which of the #85 jersies in the stands is the right wrong-doer. :)

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Cubs fans in Chicago aren't that bad. Cubs fans outside of Chicago are insufferable.

I never thought about it that way but you are absolutely right. To hear people out here singing the praises or Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville - having never even been to Chicago, mind you - is beyond pathetic.

STL doesn't strike me as anything special either. Nice baseball team and ballpark - that's about it.

CardsFanInChiTo
08-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey all, Cards fan here!

I’ve noticed there as been a lot more booing this year. I attribute that fact to the new ballpark drawing more lightweight bandwagon fans.

Personally I’ve never considered St. Louis to have “The Best Fans in Baseball” because it’s a completely subjective label.

MWM
08-09-2006, 09:20 PM
I've met very few people I'd consider true baseball fans while living here--they're all Cardinals or nothing.

That's a good point. Honestly to god true story here, but I met someone last year in grad school who was a huge Cards fan. I'm not sure how the topic was raised, but somehow Johnny Bench was brought up and I kid you not that this guy asked me who Bench played for. Granted that's just one person, but I used to travel to St. Louis a couple of times year for business and there were a lot more Cards fans than baseball fans. Although to be fair, that's probably the same as in Cincinnati or most baseball towns. It's just that Cards fans aren't any different and certainly aren't better baseball fans.