PDA

View Full Version : Catching Skills

Ltlabner
08-07-2006, 07:44 AM
What is the single most important skill a catcher must own to be sucessfull? This is NOT an all inclusive list so feel free to add other skill sets to the discussion.

Is it working with the pitching staff, relating to them, being able to help them calm down and work through jams with helpfull advice?

Is it being able to frame the pitches, keep the batters guessing, and help maximize the strike zone while it appears the umps are minimizing it this year (or at least are very creative with it, but that's a different thread)?

Is it his throwing arm and ability to throw runners out? Taking away scoring oportunities from the other team.

Drability? He can be medicore but if he can stand the riggors of catching he'll contribute over time?

Maybe it's something else.

Spitball
08-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Footwork and quickness are very important for the position. Also, catchers need to be able to take charge of the pitcher and direct the defense.

blumj
08-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Focus and mental toughness. The ability, with all that's required of them physically, to stay sharp enough to maintain control of the game, and keep doing so game after game, throughout the course of a full season.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Solid defense and game managerment are the two things that are most important in a catcher. If I was a GM, I'd take a guy who was mediocre with his bat as long as he could call a great game for the pitching staff and play good D behind the plate. I think that's one of the most overlooked qualities in a catcher.

Dunner44
08-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Solid defense and game managerment are the two things that are most important in a catcher. If I was a GM, I'd take a guy who was mediocre with his bat as long as he could call a great game for the pitching staff and play good D behind the plate. I think that's one of the most overlooked qualities in a catcher.

So you'd trade for Brad Asmus? I would (his bat got hot this year,though, didn't it?)

HumnHilghtFreel
08-07-2006, 10:29 AM
So you'd trade for Brad Asmus? I would (his bat got hot this year,though, didn't it?)

I would. It's nice to have offensive firepower coming from the backstop, like a Joe Mauer or even a David Ross, but on my team, whatever I get from the at the plate is an added bonus. Now, If a guy is hitting below the Mendoza line it's going to be hard to justify it, but I'm not looking for a lot there. I really think having a catcher work well with a pitcher improves the pitcher's game and if you can get that 1/2 the time then that makes up for any lack of offense, in my opinion. Then again though, I'm not a GM:)

Spitball
08-07-2006, 10:29 AM
...(his bat got hot this year,though, didn't it?)

Yep, just before it it went ice cold.

Always Red
08-07-2006, 10:37 AM
What is just as important is your back-up catcher, since he will be playing a lot. I think the back-up should have at least adequate ML catching skills, but if your primary receiver is a weak hitter (with a better glove, arm and pitcher-handling skills), you need a back-up catcher with some pop. In other words, they should not necessarily be mirror images of each other.

Team Clark
08-07-2006, 03:42 PM
What is just as important is your back-up catcher, since he will be playing a lot. I think the back-up should have at least adequate ML catching skills, but if your primary receiver is a weak hitter (with a better glove, arm and pitcher-handling skills), you need a back-up catcher with some pop. In other words, they should not necessarily be mirror images of each other.

My favorite tandem was Lavalliere and Slaught in Pittsburgh.

camisadelgolf
08-07-2006, 03:59 PM
I think good attendance is the most important thing for a catcher. If you don't have a catcher, then your pitcher is just beaning the umpire a lot and probably getting ejected.

dunner13
08-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Anyone know the ERA of the pitchers when each of our catchers is catching? Im curious if the numbers are vastly different depending on the catcher or pretty close. My guess is that larue and ross are close and valentines are really high.

15fan
08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Resilient knees.

And a strong cup.