PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think Krivsky should have just stood pat with what we have?

5TimeWSChamps
08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
This acquisition today just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I like the makeup of the team right now, especially with how Lohse pitched yesterday. We hit the ball well in the Braves series with RISP and the bullpen kept us in the games with the exception of yesterday's. I feel like Krivsky is just making moves to make moves now, not that there's anything wrong with that as a lot of his moves have gone well. I don't think Ryan Franklin is going to be the difference between the World Series or not.

Thoughts?

11larkin11
08-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Franklin>HURT Majewski

Franklin is also there in case Lohse's first start was a fluke, which I dont think it was.

jimbo
08-07-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't think Ryan Franklin is going to be the difference between the World Series or not.

Thoughts?

Maybe not, but he is a better option than a pitcher (Majewski) who has been getting shelled and has a dead arm. I think this move seals up a hole in the pen.

redsfan30
08-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Not only does this move allow you to do something with Majewski, but it also gives you a long man in the pen and insurance against Lohse exploding.

You're right, he's not the difference between the World Series or not, but he's not being counted on to be that difference.

RedsManRick
08-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Assuming we don't give up another Germano (guy who is realistically as good or better than the guy we're getting), it never hurts to have too many arms. We can go from having enough to not enough very quickly, particularly if one of the four locked in the rotation guys goes down. While I'm certainly not a Franklin fan, I'd rather have him available then be forced to bring Mays back up or use a career AAA guy like Michalak.

5TimeWSChamps
08-07-2006, 02:40 PM
PRoblem is, is that Franklin doesn't like being brought out of the Pen, so who knows how he will accept it here, he didn't like it in Philly.

And why are we making so many moves with Philadelphia?

Matt700wlw
08-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Franklin's not a world beater, I said yesterday they can't keep throwing Majewski out there if he can't get people out.

Now they won't. Whether Franklin's better or not, or shows to be better, we don't know, but it's a move, it's a change, and it shows Krivsky isn't going to let this team continue to run guys out there who can't do their job.

What's wrong with that?

CincyReds2003
08-07-2006, 02:55 PM
As the Rolling Stones once said "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

Johnny Footstool
08-07-2006, 03:00 PM
One man's trash is the Reds' treasure.

Sorry but I can't get excited about a guy who had to do steroids to get close to being average.

BRM
08-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I guess Franklin can't hurt much. Personally, I'd have rather given Brad Salmon a shot but he'll probably get an opportunity in September.

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Mariano Rivera would have been a better choice.

When will we get a GM who realizes this?

BRM
08-07-2006, 03:08 PM

Nah. He's too old and too expensive. ;)

5TimeWSChamps
08-07-2006, 03:09 PM

:rolleyes: Majewski's stats coming in > Franklin's stats coming in

True Story

Raisor
08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Now they won't. Whether Franklin's better or not, or shows to be better, we don't know, but it's a move, it's a change, and it shows Krivsky isn't going to let this team continue to run guys out there who can't do their job.

What's wrong with that?

So you're in favor of ANY move. Even if it's a bad move?

Franklin is a stiff. Worse, he's a stiff that cheats. Worse worse, he's a stiff that cheats that got caught.

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Please point to one team that doesn't have stiffs.

Pete Rose is a piece of dirt, but he can come back and manage the Reds any day if its up to me.

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 03:22 PM
:rolleyes: Majewski's stats coming in > Franklin's stats coming in

True Story

And this means what to you, that Franklin is going to be worse than Majewski?

I guess there is a reason they don't call it, LogicZone.

Raisor
08-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Please point to one team that doesn't have stiffs.

The idea is to get rid of your stiffs, not to go out and get more of them.

REDREAD
08-07-2006, 03:23 PM
We needed another body. Maj is useless right now (hopefully some rest will do him good) and Guarado is hurt. Standbridge is very unreliable, and Weathers can't pitch every day.

Sadly, this was probably the best we could do at this point in the season.

5TimeWSChamps
08-07-2006, 03:26 PM
And this means what to you, that Franklin is going to be worse than Majewski?

I guess there is a reason they don't call it, LogicZone.
So now you are putting words in my mouth. Franklin hasn't been good anywhere else he's gone, why should he be good here? Majewski was serviceable in Montreal/Washington and even played for the USA in the WBC. His credentials coming in are better than Franklin's, not to mention the whole steroid suspension hanging over him.

Raisor
08-07-2006, 03:28 PM
and even played for the USA in the WBC. .

That and 3.75 will get you a latte at starbucks.

penantboundreds
08-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Wow this guy hasn't thrown an inning for us, correct? Pretty dang quick to judge. This kid has a very live arm, I'm not saying he's our Juan Guzman for this year, but he can throw. This may or may not work out, but it's very doubtful we gave up much to get him.

BRM
08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Wow this guy hasn't thrown an inning for us, correct? Pretty dang quick to judge. This kid has a very live arm, I'm not saying he's our Juan Guzman for this year, but he can throw. This may or may not work out, but it's very doubtful we gave up much to get him.

The guy has 864 career innings pitched for people to judge him on.

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I think we have gotten rid of more than a handful of, "stiffs", this year.

But in case you didn't notice, the pen still has issues/injuries and my Rivera comment was to point out, guys like him are not readily available.

I'd much rather have someone better but ..........

What do you want the Reds to do, just quit trying?

Nobody wanted Lohse out there yesterday but what in the heck are the other options? Your complaints are noted. Got any solutions?

Raisor
08-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I think we have gotten rid of more than a handful of, "stiffs", this year.

But in case you didn't notice, the pen still has issues/injuries and my Rivera comment was to point out, guys like him are not readily available.

I'd much rather have someone better but ..........

What do you want the Reds to do, just quit trying?

I'd rather he stand pat instead of brining someone like Franklin in.

There is such a thing as too much tweaking.

oneupper
08-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Franklin>HURT Majewski

Franklin is also there in case Lohse's first start was a fluke, which I dont think it was.

AAA guys>Franklin

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 03:54 PM

So you suggest that we keep Maj in the pen and continue to use him, even if he really does have a problem with his shoulder?

The Reds are trying to band aid their way to the play-offs with that bullpen. And this year it might just work.

Sure beats what has been going on the last few years.

The Cards are ahead of us and they are running Jeff Weaver out tonight. What would you have said if we signed Weaver? The same things you are saying about Franklin, I'm sure.

Is it a recipe for success? Nope. I agree. Lots of big league pitchers suck. But they are still big league pitchers and there are only so many to go around. Every team has guys that stink. The fact that we are one of them really should not be a surprise.

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 03:58 PM

I agree with Raisor

Raisor
08-07-2006, 04:42 PM
I agree with Raisor

If I had a dime for everytime someone has said that, I'd have close to 15 cents.

or something

fearofpopvol1
08-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I would've prefered Shack being brought back up...but I guess he's worth a shot. Nobody thought Lohse would look good after 1 start either.

REDREAD
08-07-2006, 05:53 PM

But if we assume the Reds are telling the truth, then Maj, Standbridge, and Guarado are hurt.

Who are you going to use to replace those guys? Mercker fills in one slot.
If you don't pick up another body, then you are making Narron work with a 5 man pen, which obviously isn't going to work with our rotation.

Not to mention that Harang just hurt his thumb. We might need a body to fill in for him as well.

When you have no one in the minors that's close to being Major League ready, you are forced to make deals like this. Obviously LA, Arizonia and the other WC contenders aren't going to let a good pitcher be available for the Reds to claim on waivers.

Handofdeath
08-07-2006, 05:53 PM

A month or so ago, the Reds had probably the worst relief staff in the NL, if not the Majors. Now they don't and it's because Krivsky went out and got better pitchers. He is doing something which is better than a lot GM's do. Don't like the price he paid? That's fine. Some of the acquisitions not quite measuring up yet? Maybe. But they are still ahead in the Wild Card and 3 1/2 behind in their division. Don't say "yeah but," the Reds are on pace to make the playoffs. Last year at this time they were 49-62. Enjoy the ride.