PDA

View Full Version : Claussen out for season

TOBTTReds
08-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Per Marc:

Claussen under the knife

Answering the Brandon Claussen question left hanging in the earlier list of transactions -- he apparently will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery to repair fraying in his rotator cuff and labrum. At least, that's what he told the media earlier today; the Reds aren't saying anything until Doc Kremchek examines Claussen at some point today.

That word comes from my colleague Josh Katzowitz down at the park (I'm "off" today), and the explanation being given is that this whole rehab process that has been ongoing for more than a month was just to see if Claussen could make it back without surgery.

Matt700wlw
08-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Well, that answers that.

LexingtonRedsFan
08-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Well, that does explain alot...my hope is that he comes back with the fastball that he had back in the yankees system that caused the scouts to love him....

reds44
08-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Got to figure he goes on the 60 day DL. That would clear a 40 man spot.

hmmm

IrishDavidKY
08-07-2006, 06:52 PM
If that's the case, then I wouldn't expect to see him until mid-season next year. (Just my opinion)

keeganbrick
08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Good news!!!

KalDanielsfan
08-07-2006, 07:00 PM
see why im pissed why we didnt get a SP at the deadline??????

this just angers me ten times more

TeamBoone
08-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Good news!!!

That's a terrible thing to say. :thumbdown

Matt700wlw
08-07-2006, 07:02 PM
That's a terrible thing to say. :thumbdown

Not if your name is Homer Bailey....(I'm sure he didn't mean it in a negative way, at least I'd hope not)

Ltlabner
08-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Good news!!!

What exactly do you mean by posting "good news" when a player has to undergo surgery and is out for the season?

keeganbrick
08-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Why would you want Claussen to come back to the 25 man roster and pitch as a 5th starter with the trouble he has been having? Obviously something is wrong with him and that situation is now being taken care of.

UGADaddy
08-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I was hoping BC would be able to make it back and help us down the stretch. As for keegan's comment, give him a break. It was just a joke...

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
This could be the end for Brandon.

RedsManRick
08-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Brandon, Paul Wilson would like to speak with you...

Redsfan08
08-07-2006, 07:50 PM
He is bad anyway

StillFunkyB
08-07-2006, 08:20 PM
If that's the case, then I wouldn't expect to see him until mid-season next year. (Just my opinion)

If ever again.

Two major arm surgeries on your pitching arm is not good.

KronoRed
08-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Brandon, Paul Wilson would like to speak with you...
Even Paul got more time out of his arm

Matt700wlw
08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
It's official. Claussen is done for the year.

MartyFan
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
That's too bad....I hope he can recover.

Super_Barry11
08-07-2006, 08:49 PM
This is really a shame.... Claussen is a very nice guy. My prayers are with him!!

CougarQuest
08-07-2006, 09:27 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060807&content_id=1597841&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin
Per the Reds website

CINCINNATI -- Reds starting pitcher Brandon Claussen will have arthroscopic surgery on his left shoulder and is expected to miss the rest of the season.
On Monday, Claussen decided to have the procedure done after he spent a month on a rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Louisville. The left-hander has been on the disabled list since June 17 with what was first diagnosed as rotator cuff tendinitis.

Team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek will perform the surgery, possibly this week. It could take six weeks of rehabilitation before Claussen could resume baseball activities.

"It'll just clean out some of the 'junk' inside his shoulder that a pitcher sometimes gets and won't quite let him get over the hump," Kremchek said Monday night.

An MRI taken in June revealed damage to Claussen's labrum and rotator cuff. He took a cortisone shot and originally opted for rehabilitation.

"I want to get it fixed," Claussen said. "I knew there was a problem there before. Taking a pill is not going to reattach my labrum. I wanted to exercise every option I possibly could before I did it."

In five rehab starts for Louisville, Claussen was 0-2 with an 8.34 ERA and 31 hits allowed over 22 2/3 innings. He also struggled before his injury, going 3-8 with a 6.19 ERA in 14 starts this season for the Reds.

The final day of Claussen's 30-day rehab assignment was Monday. The club would have had to make a roster move on Tuesday if Claussen returned.

"The main thing is for him to have peace of mind and get the surgery done so he'll be ready to go at Spring Training," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "That's the best thing for him so he can get as much rehab time as possible. We would have liked to have had him available as a starter, but it's not going to happen."

Before this season, Claussen never had any shoulder problems. In 2002, he had Tommy John surgery on his left elbow to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament.

deltachi8
08-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Good news!!!

you stay classy...

:thumbdown

UK Reds Fan
08-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Another reason why Lopez/Kearns trade was so pitiful.

2 lower paid starters and you get no pitching? Not evern Armas or Patterson.

Now next year we go with Arroyo, Harang, Milton, Lizard and ???. Lohse, Dumtrait, etc...

That trade will go down as an all-time terrible idea.

Team Clark
08-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Maybe he and Paul Wilson can buy a sandwich shop together. I guess that explains why his "stuff" has been garbage.

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Maybe he and Paul Wilson can buy a sandwich shop together. I guess that explains why his "stuff" has been garbage.

I guess I don't see how this post is any better than saying, "good news."

One guy says good news, as in, good news, the guys stuff is garbage, why do we want him, and he is ripped to shreds and probably loses rep points.

Both posters are saying the guy is garbage but only one is being called out for it.

Can someone explain that?

Give the guy a break.

Team Clark
08-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I guess I don't see how this post is any better than saying, "good news."

One guy says good news, as in, good news, the guys stuff is garbage, why do we want him, and he is ripped to shreds and probably loses rep points.

Both posters are saying the guy is garbage but only one is being called out for it.

Can someone explain that?

Give the guy a break.

Not sure how you get that I am personally calling Claussen garbage. He sure pitched that way but at least everyone now knows why. The guy pitched hurt. You have to commend a guy to some degree for doing that. He still has a future in this game. Don't lump me in with somebody else. I can stand on my own.

Always Red
08-07-2006, 10:20 PM
best of luck to Brandon Claussen, he had a tough year, but was always a stand up guy about it.

keeganbrick
08-07-2006, 10:29 PM
I said "good news", thats it. Was it sarcastic, in a way I guess. The point being he is having surgery to hopefully fix part of his problem. Obviously something was wrong because he was getting killed in AAA as well. I really dont understand why everyone is getting pissed about it(well I can in a way). If I offended anyone, my apologies.

MaineRed
08-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I wasn't trying to misquote you TC. Obviously when talking about a pitcher and then using the term garbage, you are talking about his stuff, not him personally. I thought that was obvious. Sorry for any confusion.

My point was, that depending on your perception of what was said, saying, "good news", is the same as saying, "his stuff is garbage".

I was just trying to point out that you could say the same thing and nobody would blink but this other guy is getting eaten alive.

I don't think he is saying, "good news, I was hoping for an injury," but rather, "good news that there is a reason for his struggles.

No harm meant.

Team Clark
08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
I said "good news", thats it. Was it sarcastic, in a way I guess. The point being he is having surgery to hopefully fix part of his problem. Obviously something was wrong because he was getting killed in AAA as well. I really dont understand why everyone is getting pissed about it(well I can in a way). If I offended anyone, my apologies.

I read a lot of off the wall stuff on this board. A LOT! Stuff that just doesn't even make sense most of the time, BUT.. I rarely if ever say anything BECAUSE it's that person's opinion. They are entitled to it.

I read your post and did not take it any other way than it was "good news" that he was getting surgery. Short and sweet. I made a post, with a slight joke about Paul Wilson and then said at least we know why he was throwing like "garbage". Somehow you and I are now blasphemers and need to stay classy! :thumbdown Can you believe that?

Sometimes the board gets to a point where it's like a 13 year old girl smart mouthing her parents. She goes on and on maybe for weeks until a correction is made. Then she cries and does the "I hate you" dance. The board in large sections, IMO, has been really busy doing the I hate you dance. It's really sad. McGwire is a jerk, Krivksy should be fired, Phillips sucks, Hatteberg is too old, Aurilia can't hit, Freel should play SS, Clayton should retire. (Meanwhile the Reds are in the playoff hunt in August) Hardly anything positive. I am sure I have fallen victim too. Really makes you think about whether or not you want to post.

If you didn't have the quality posters out there to corral the total BS that gets put out then nobody would post here. Like RFS62 said to me a few weeks ago "It only takes one or two to make it bad for everyone else" How true.

Team Clark
08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I wasn't trying to misquote you TC. Obviously when talking about a pitcher and then using the term garbage, you are talking about his stuff, not him personally. I thought that was obvious. Sorry for any confusion.

My point was, that depending on your perception of what was said, saying, "good news", is the same as saying, "his stuff is garbage".

I was just trying to point out that you could say the same thing and nobody would blink but this other guy is getting eaten alive.

I don't think he is saying, "good news, I was hoping for an injury," but rather, "good news that there is a reason for his struggles.

No harm meant.

I wish you would have posted that instead of calling us out. All is fair in love and baseball. Let's just all agree that Claussen needs to be healthy and fulfill his potential.

Sea Ray
08-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Here's the big question:

Do you re-sign Claussen this fall?

I say no. You non tender him. I think he's done. Can anyone help me out and name a pitcher who had his shoulder scoped by Kremchek who came all the way back? How about a guy who's had TJ and a frayed rotator cuff surgery?

Turn the page on this guy. He was never Cy Young anyway. I know this sounds harsh but it's a harsh business. Tough decisions need to be made. This team does not need any more rehabilitating mediocre pitchers.

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 12:20 AM

Dont apologize. it was obvious that you were being sarcastic. **knock off the attacks and hostile attitude -ochre**
like i stated before, all u can eat crow and stop with the name calling on my reputation comment thing. (hypocrits)

harangatang
08-08-2006, 12:25 AM
As sad as it is to say the first name that comes to my head when I hear the word "labrum" is Wade Miller. Miller has never fully recovered from his torn labrum and has lost a velocity on his pitches. As Reds fans know he was quite a good pitcher with Houston. I've always heard that a pitcher never fully recovers from these types of injuries. Claussen has it real bad because he was a soft tosser anyway and had Tommy John surgery so in my mind the chances of him pitching successfully in a Reds uniform or any other major league uniform is slim to none.

gilpdawg
08-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Tough luck. He has some talent. I'd like to see him get another shot if he can make it back. Maybe a minor league deal.

deltachi8
08-08-2006, 12:31 AM
GUess my sarcasim meeter was in the off mode because I didnt detect any. I'm glad you (Keeganbrick) clarified your remarks for those like me who thought you were serious. Unfortunately, there are those out there who cheer injury.

Back to Brandon, its a shame, a nice kid by all reports. I hope he can reocver but as many have posted, its far, far from a sure bet.

dfs
08-08-2006, 10:51 AM

It's not like he'll be a free agent for 3 more years. The worst the reds would have to do is go to arbitration with him and given the numbers he put up this last year, that would work to the reds favor. Arbitrators are traditionaly not kind to injued players, but reward those with playing time and results.

While There seems to be no decision here, meaning Claussen would continue to be reds property next year, I don't expect him to throw a pitch for the reds. Narron made some comments about Brandon "only" being a starter and Claussen has not given the new regime any reason to expect him to succeed. It's not like the reds have a shortage of lefthanded pitching. I expect Claussen to be traded the second he's healthy.

Just like Hudson and Hancock...it will not be a good move for the reds.

Jr's Boy
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm really saddened to hear about this.I always thought Claussen would be an effective starter in the rotation for years to come.

Sea Ray
08-08-2006, 12:01 PM
It's not like he'll be a free agent for 3 more years. The worst the reds would have to do is go to arbitration with him and given the numbers he put up this last year, that would work to the reds favor. Arbitrators are traditionaly not kind to injued players, but reward those with playing time and results.

While There seems to be no decision here, meaning Claussen would continue to be reds property next year, I don't expect him to throw a pitch for the reds. Narron made some comments about Brandon "only" being a starter and Claussen has not given the new regime any reason to expect him to succeed. It's not like the reds have a shortage of lefthanded pitching. I expect Claussen to be traded the second he's healthy.

Just like Hudson and Hancock...it will not be a good move for the reds.

Free agency would be preferable to arbitration. Arbitrators give ridiculous sums of $$ to players. No way I risk that. Did Hancock have shoulder surgery? Hudson has been a project for the Royals and given their abysmal record they have nothing to lose but I doubt Krivsky loses any sleep wishing Luke was back on the Reds.

REDREAD
08-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Here's the big question:

Great question. He only made 370k this year. It's not like he had a good season to justify a raise. I'd try to negotiate with him and sign him for under a million (shouldn't be too hard). The main reason I do that is because pitching is so thin. If Claussen insists on going to arb, I probably nontender him because it's not worth the headache.

dfs
08-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Free agency would be preferable to arbitration. Arbitrators give ridiculous sums of $$ to players. No way I risk that. Did Hancock have shoulder surgery? Hudson has been a project for the Royals and given their abysmal record they have nothing to lose but I doubt Krivsky loses any sleep wishing Luke was back on the Reds.

With the injury you're talking about at most 500K for Brandon in arbitration. That's Rick White money. If he's not worth that to you, then you let him go. He's worth that to me.

Hancock had several leg injuries that cost him the last couple of years. He seems to be thin enough to pitch in St. Louis.

Not sure if you are aware, but since being put into KC's starting rotation Luke Hudson has turned in essentially five straight quality starts with the royals behind him.

If Krivsky isn't losing sleep over that and paying attention to his own mistakes and learning from them, we might as well all just start paying attention to football, because he'll continue to trade real prospects for Kyle Lohse and legitimate starting position players for magic beans.

Sea Ray
08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Great question. He only made 370k this year. It's not like he had a good season to justify a raise. I'd try to negotiate with him and sign him for under a million (shouldn't be too hard). The main reason I do that is because pitching is so thin. If Claussen insists on going to arb, I probably nontender him because it's not worth the headache.

I disagree. What are you hoping for? Are you hoping he'll be the pitcher he was for a month or 6 weeks in 2005? Or are you hoping he'll be the pitcher he has been for the rest of his career? Or are you thinking after another surgery he'll blossom and be better than he's ever been?

IMO, he's not going to be worth a sub million salary, a precious roster spot and all the coaching and medical resources he'll require. It's possible he'll turn into Jamie Moyer and find his niche into his 40s but that's so far off we can't invest for that now. I don't see that he has a high ceiling. I see him as another junk balling lefty.

Sea Ray
08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
With the injury you're talking about at most 500K for Brandon in arbitration. That's Rick White money. If he's not worth that to you, then you let him go. He's worth that to me.

Hancock had several leg injuries that cost him the last couple of years. He seems to be thin enough to pitch in St. Louis.

Not sure if you are aware, but since being put into KC's starting rotation Luke Hudson has turned in essentially five straight quality starts with the royals behind him.

If Krivsky isn't losing sleep over that and paying attention to his own mistakes and learning from them, we might as well all just start paying attention to football, because he'll continue to trade real prospects for Kyle Lohse and legitimate starting position players for magic beans.

To Luke Hudson's credit, he has had a good month of pitching for the Royals. Kudos to him. I wish him well. But as recently as the beginning of July he still had an ERA over 7 and if I'm not mistaken he also made trip to the minors. Bottomline is it's still way to early to say it was a mistake to cut him loose. Anybody could have had him and if the Royals can resurrect his career kudos to them. They can reap the rewards.

No question Hancock could have helped this team in 2006. They decided to make a statement with him in hopes of shaking a few others into line where conditioning is concerned. This "statement" would have been hallow if they were cutting a guy who couldn't pitch anyway. The point is "hey if we're willing to cut a guy who's not a bad pitcher, the same can be done to you."
But that's not what we're dealing with here with Claussen. The issue is whether he respresents a proper use of team resources.

lo ryder
08-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Thank you again Mr Bowden, may I have another!