PDA

View Full Version : What do you think happens to Griffey in 2009?

redbuck
08-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Griffey is under contract through 2008. I wonder what will happen with him in 2009 when that contract is finally lifted off the Reds' back. Will he...

1. Retire?

2. Re-sign with the Reds for a bargain price? (1 year/$1.5 million, something like that)

3. Sign with another team?

I bet he retires. Two more years left in Griffey's career. Well, he would probably come back in '09 if he was stuck on 599 HRs, but it's a moot point because he will get there by '08.

solo-baric
08-08-2006, 12:14 AM
if i were the reds i would not sign him. He's well past his prime. If he's smart he'll search for a DH job in the AL. But i don't see him being a red. I liked him way back when but now he's useless. He WON'T run. Can't hit. And can no longer play center. Every fly ball he takes 3-5 steps back. That's not how you play. Hell he rarely dives for balls any more. I say DFA right now!

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 12:14 AM
put him at first base..it'll save his legs and keep him healthier..and giving him the strength in his legs to drive the ball better

Dunner44
08-08-2006, 12:24 AM
He'll most likely retire. Unlike Bonds, Griff didn't juice, which means his shelf life won't go to 42 like Barry. If he's still prooductive and hitting .260 with 20-25 homers, I bet he can get a DH job with a mediocre AL team looking to draw fans. But at that point in his career, is that something he wants? I'm sure Griffey wants a title, and would decline to extend his career if it means being on another horrible losing team.

Razor Shines
08-08-2006, 12:38 AM
I think it will depend on if he gets 600 before then. He'll probably end this year with 32 or 33 (apparently that's worthy of a DFA) and that will leave about 28 or 29 to 600 which he will probably get next year if he stays healthy. I really hope he gets 600 in a Reds uniform, and I'll do my best to be at that game. In the age of steriods he is one guy that did it the right way and is worthy of his 600th home run being made into a big event, but sadly because of others using steriods Jr. getting to 600 home runs won't be as big a deal as it should be. I am still proud to have him as a Red.

vic715
08-08-2006, 01:16 AM
If I'm not mistaken the Reds have an option on Griffey for 2009.Not sure though.

reds44
08-08-2006, 01:50 AM
I don't want Griffey back next year, much less 2009.

WVRedsFan
08-08-2006, 02:00 AM
I don't want Griffey back next year, much less 2009.

Ok. Let's say we trade or DFA him (if we trade we'll probably get more junk middle relievers). Who's going to pick up his production of runs batted in? Any candidates?

I'll take Junior in his lessened condition than a host of other junk we could come up with in center. The team who scores the most runs wins. Regardless of how good your pitching is. Just ask Houston. They have a problem.

reds44
08-08-2006, 02:10 AM
Ok. Let's say we trade or DFA him (if we trade we'll probably get more junk middle relievers). Who's going to pick up his production of runs batted in? Any candidates?

I'll take Junior in his lessened condition than a host of other junk we could come up with in center. The team who scores the most runs wins. Regardless of how good your pitching is. Just ask Houston. They have a problem.

Griffey has a .296 OBP and is a defensive liability in CF. He can flat out NOT hit lefites. He is hitting .196 vs. LHP. He drives in a good amount of runs, I will give you that. However he is in no way worth his contract. You could use his money and go buy someone that would out perform him.

This team is being built around Dunn and Encarnacion. That is plenty of run production right there. Go get yourself a decent RF with a fair amount of pop (Kearns would have been ideal but oh well), and a leadoff man in CF that is solid defensively. No not Ryan Freel.

Anybody have a list of upcoming free agents this year?

WVRedsFan
08-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Griffey has a .296 OBP and is a defensive liability in CF. He can flat out NOT hit lefites. He is hitting .196 vs. LHP. He drives in a good amount of runs, I will give you that. However he is in no way worth his contract. You could use his money and go buy someone that would out perform him.

I'm not really being difficult here, but all this OBP stuff is not important when you drive in 100 real runs. You can OBP at 1.999 and if it doesn't result in runs, you lose. And his contract is his contract, which BTW, is less than the going rate for even Griffey. You have to find a way to replace the runs. We've seen that with the Washington trade and with the reluctance to play your favorite Encarnacion while playing an aging Aurilia.

This team is being built around Dunn and Encarnacion. That is plenty of run production right there. Go get yourself a decent RF with a fair amount of pop (Kearns would have been ideal but oh well), and a leadoff man in CF that is solid defensively. No not Ryan Freel.

That message hasn't been received by Jerry Narron. Edwin has been benched at every opportunity in favor of Aurilia, Castro, etc. That's a fable. And watching recent maneuvers by our GM tells me that no one is safe. The LT contract was before he realized he needed middle relief more than he needed runs. The only safe player is one who is perceived as a good fielder with experience. Yes, i'm disgusted.

Anybody have a list of upcoming free agents this year?

Forget about that. Free agents need not apply. Just like always.

reds44
08-08-2006, 02:28 AM
Narron doesn't decide who stays and who goes, Krivsky does that. Edwin will be here in 3 years, Rich and Castro won't.

If Narron doesn't run the team how Krivsky wants it run, he won't be here. Simple as that.

WVRedsFan
08-08-2006, 02:32 AM
Narron doesn't decide who stays and who goes, Krivsky does that. Edwin will be here in 3 years, Rich and Castro won't.

If Narron doesn't run the team how Krivsky wants it run, he won't be here. Simple as that.
I totally agree which is part of the problem. I never thought I'd ever say that.

Always remember, that driving in and producing runs is the name of the game. You can have Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn, Tom Seaver, Roger Clemmons, and Randy Johnson as your rotation, but if you do not score runs, you lose every time.

reds44
08-08-2006, 02:34 AM
I totally agree which is part of the problem. I never thought I'd ever say that.

Always remember, that driving in and producing runs is the name of the game. You can have Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn, Tom Seaver, Roger Clemmons, and Randy Johnson as your rotation, but if you do not score runs, you lose every time.
True, but one the game is centered around is making outs. You don't make outs, you score runs.

Griffey is having issues not making outs this year.

KronoRed
08-08-2006, 03:38 AM
2008 will be his last season.

ChatterRed
08-08-2006, 08:00 AM
I still like the trade on paper.

Magic's numbers were good with the Nationals. For whatever reason, he isn't pitching as well now. Is it fatigue? Is he hurt? Who knows. But you can't argue that Bray and Magic weren't two of the best three relievers the Nationals had. Theoretically, it should have worked out, but it hasn't.

On the other hand, I still think Kearns and Lopez are and will end up being average players. Average players aren't hard to replace.

beb30
08-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Every fly ball he takes 3-5 steps back. That's not how you play. Hell he rarely dives for balls any more. I say DFA right now!

Um not sure if you've ever played baseball before, but when I learned how to use fundamentals I was taught to first take a couple of steps back before making a play.....

And to say DFA right now whether you are joking or not is just ignorant.

Jr's Boy
08-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Way too far ahead to decide what to do with Junior.

2001MUgrad
08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
He'll live happily ever after near Barry Larkin in Florida :)

Rob Dicken
08-08-2006, 12:09 PM
if i were the reds i would not sign him. He's well past his prime. If he's smart he'll search for a DH job in the AL. But i don't see him being a red. I liked him way back when but now he's useless. He WON'T run. Can't hit. And can no longer play center. Every fly ball he takes 3-5 steps back. That's not how you play. Hell he rarely dives for balls any more. I say DFA right now!

Yeah, that makes tons of sense! Let's DFA him so we can eat his contract! :thumbdown

That was a lame post.

No, he's not what he used to be. That's what happens with age. But, the fact is he can still drive in around 80-100 runs a year and hit 30-35 homers. That's better than a LOT of talent in the league.

No, he doesn't need to be in Center, but he does need to be in the starting line-up and playing everyday (whether it's RF or 1B). Regardless of this OBP stuff, you can have the best OBP in the world, but if you're not scoring then the point is moot.

Um not sure if you've ever played baseball before, but when I learned how to use fundamentals I was taught to first take a couple of steps back before making a play.....

That's the way I was taught.

redsupport
08-08-2006, 12:10 PM
He will bat third, play centerfield, 86 percent of reds fans will claim he is great because he is a good family man. They will still refer to this homers while at San Bernandino as an attestation to his greatness. he will cover the amount of ground inside the head of a pin

Rob Dicken
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
He will bat third, play centerfield, 86 percent of reds fans will claim he is great because he is a good family man. They will still refer to this homers while at San Bernandino as an attestation to his greatness. he will cover the amount of ground inside the head of a pin

How you are continually allowed to post crap on this site is beyond me! Everytime you post, you never support yourself other than what YOU attest to, let alone anyone else.

registerthis
08-08-2006, 12:21 PM
I still like the trade on paper.

Magic's numbers were good with the Nationals. For whatever reason, he isn't pitching as well now. Is it fatigue? Is he hurt? Who knows. But you can't argue that Bray and Magic weren't two of the best three relievers the Nationals had. Theoretically, it should have worked out, but it hasn't.

On the other hand, I still think Kearns and Lopez are and will end up being average players. Average players aren't hard to replace.

Wrong thread?

Will M
08-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Griffey in 2006 should be platooning in RF with Deno & batting ~6th

Griffey in 2009 should be retired

- Will

REDREAD
08-08-2006, 01:19 PM
I think he'll retire. I think he'd rather be with his family at this point in his life.

I don't see him hanging around and being a PH/spot starter like Tony Perez did, even though I still think he'd be productive (if healthy).

Also, it's not like he's gotten that warm of a welcome with this whole "coming back to Cincy" thing.

If the Reds were really close to contending, he might be tempted to stay around.

Also, I doubt Jr really cares about numbers like 600 HR. He just doesn't seem to be a big ego guy on milestones (unlike Bonds, Henderson, etc).

Falls City Beer
08-08-2006, 01:24 PM
He should retire. It would be a sad state of affairs to see him only get offered one-year deals for tiny amounts. His career has been badly tarnished because of injury; he'd be wise to listen to reliable counsel who says hang it up when the time comes.

RedsManRick
08-08-2006, 01:31 PM
If he's still playing in 2009 I'll be positively shocked. We're seeing the beginning of the end here. He's "healthy" and he's still lost a ton of foot AND bat speed. Next year will be even worse. I hate to be a downer, but I expect a total of about 800 more plate appearances as he winds down his career. He'll hit #600 and ride off in to the sunset after 2008.

Chainer
08-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I gotta say that I believe Griffey will end his career in a Reds uniform. He's made enough money over the years to compensate him for the rest of his life.

Come 2009, we will see Junior retired. Sad, but true.

lo ryder
08-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Anyone remember a healthy Austin Kearns?:thumbup:

Redhook
08-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Griffey in 2006 should be platooning in RF with Deno & batting ~6th

Griffey in 2009 should be retired

- Will

I wouldn't mind JR. in right field, but platooning with Deno is beyond ridiculous. Have you watched Deno at the plate? He can barely hit the ball out of the infield and if he does it's very weak. JR. should and will be in there almost every day. I believe he'd be best in the cleanup or 5th spot.

vic715
08-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Guys I'm certainly not the smartest guy on this forum but let me ask What Griffey are we talking about here. The Guy missed most of the first 6 weeks of the season comes back and hits several game winning HRs got a big walkoff hit against Milwaukee a couple weeks back. He' been in a slump but in the last week he's come out of it.The guys on a pace to drive in 100 runs and all anyone can worry about is his ops and obp and his shabby play in centerfield.Take his presence out of this lineup and see how this offense goes then. When Griffey was signed and brought in here everybody was estatic that we had him and locked up for 9 years. Now did you all expect him to be hitting 45-50 hrs and playing flawlessly for all those years ecpecially as he got older.Only Bonds got better as he got older and we all know why.I don't remember if his so called shabby play in centerfield has cost us a game this year or not but our infield defense has cost us a few along with a weak bullpen so to be constantly ragging Griffey and that contract we all were for the most part glad to give is getting old.I will say however that moving him next year to a corner outfield position might be a good idea.

Chainer
08-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Guys I'm certainly not the smartest guy on this forum but let me ask What Griffey are we talking about here. The Guy missed most of the first 6 weeks of the season comes back and hits several game winning HRs got a big walkoff hit against Milwaukee a couple weeks back. He' been in a slump but in the last week he's come out of it.The guys on a pace to drive in 100 runs and all anyone can worry about is his ops and obp and his shabby play in centerfield.Take his presence out of this lineup and see how this offense goes then. When Griffey was signed and brought in here everybody was estatic that we had him and locked up for 9 years. Now did you all expect him to be hitting 45-50 hrs and playing flawlessly for all those years ecpecially as he got older.Only Bonds got better as he got older and we all know why.I don't remember if his so called shabby play in centerfield has cost us a game this year or not but our infield defense has cost us a few along with a weak bullpen so to be constantly ragging Griffey and that contract we all were for the most part glad to give is getting old.I will say however that moving him next year to a corner outfield position might be a good idea.

I gotta agree on every aspect you just mentioned, although it was a strain on my eyes to read. :eek:

I knew Griffey, for the first few seasons might hit 45-50 homers. But as time progressed, I knew he would ventually dwindle down quite a bit. He's everything FAR from spectacular right now....but he's definitely not bad, nor does he need DFA'd which I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread. He's still a VERY GOOD player that put up some good numbers.

And the corner outfield would be a great position for him. :thumbup:

Will M
08-09-2006, 05:48 PM
avg .197
obp .248
slg .426
ops .674

these #s are horrible

- Will

Will M
08-09-2006, 05:58 PM
avg .294
obp .429
slg .353
ops .782

- Will M

Captain Buckeye
08-09-2006, 11:57 PM
I think Griffey should tell all the haters to F off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand some of the bashing and disapointment,but much of the rest is just ignorance. Sad.:duel:

Chainer
08-10-2006, 12:13 AM
avg .294
obp .429
slg .353
ops .782

- Will M

Deno has batted about 300 At-Bats less than Griffey too.

- Chainer :laugh:

EddieMilner
08-10-2006, 10:36 AM
avg .197
obp .248
slg .426
ops .674

these #s are horrible

- Will

Vs. Lefties
123 AB 26 RBIs

Vs. Righties
216 AB 37 RBIs

It looks like he drives in runs no matter who is pitching to him.

Also, other things to note, Griffey is much better on the road and during day games. So maybe if we never play him vs. lefties, at home, and at night we would be using him most effectively.:rolleyes: