PDA

View Full Version : Wake up call

cincrazy
08-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Well before I start rambling, let me first say that I'm 21 years old, and haven't seen that much success from the
Reds. I don't remember 1990, and vaguely remember 95, but I really didn't fully grasp the game of baseball or the Reds until 1998, so 1999 is really the only true experience I have as far as winning baseball is concerned. Before the game tonight, I had butterflies, and those butterflies quickly turned to a sickening feeling after about 10 pitches.

With that being said, I truly do believe that this game tonight could be good for the team. Obviously, it could also be disastrous, and spell the beginning of the end for our ballclub. But the way I look at it is, ever since Krivsky started all of this wheeling and dealing, all this team has heard is how good they are, how improved they are, how they're giving the Cards a run for their money, how they're now the prohibitive favorite in the Wild Card, and on and on. This loss is a wake-up call. This loss reminds us that the Cardinals are still the team to beat until we beat them, and we haven't accomplished a damn thing yet. I think it will show them how far they are away, and how hard they'll have to work the rest of the way. But hopefully this game is the kick in the butt that this team needed. I'll be at that game tomorrow, and I'll be there with my head held high, knowing that we still at least share the lead in the Wild Card, and that tomorrow is a whole new day with which to work with. It was an awful game... but a game that might serve as motivation the rest of the way. At least I hope...

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 12:22 AM
its a wake up call to all the "experts on this board who didnt see that we A) got no starting pitching B) gave up waaay too much and C) the bullpen was overrated by EVERYONE on this board except me and now you see your mistakes

*grinning with smug look on face*

cincrazy
08-08-2006, 12:24 AM
It's one game out of 162 my friend. Besides, with Kearns and Lopez this team was a little over .500, and without them they're STILL a little over .500, so I can't blame any recent slide on that trade.

RedsMan3203
08-08-2006, 12:39 AM
They came out flat for a big game... it happens.... Its only 1 game... We play them tomorrow... We have our horses coming up....

If Milton can some how find out how to keep that one inning to a minimal and Jerry Narron doesn't keep him in to long ... we'll be fine....

Just gotta sit back, relax and watch baseball...

deltachi8
08-08-2006, 12:41 AM
its one game.

its an exceptionally poor year in the NL.

last I checked, there was still plenty of season left.

vic715
08-08-2006, 12:50 AM
its a wake up call to all the "experts on this board who didnt see that we A) got no starting pitching B) gave up waaay too much and C) the bullpen was overrated by EVERYONE on this board except me and now you see your mistakes

*grinning with smug look on face*
You may and are probably right on the pen and the trade but our top 3 starters Harang, Arroyo and Milton are 28-19 and thats not to bad.

fearofpopvol1
08-08-2006, 01:21 AM
its one game.

its an exceptionally poor year in the NL.

last I checked, there was still plenty of season left.

You can't continue to say that. Every game is absolutely crucial at this juncture. We are tied for the wildcard now with the Dodgers. A loss tomorrow, and we not only fall back further to the Cards, but we're also likely to fall out of first place for the wild card.

Yeah, there's still a lot of baseball left and yeah, we're not going to win them all. But, we have to play better baseball than what was shown tonight. With the lineup we had tonight (pretty strong), 1 run for the game with run inflated Jeff Weaver on the mound is pathetic. The starting pitching was terrible and relief wasn't great either, but the effort was poor (if not non-existent).

cincrazy
08-08-2006, 01:24 AM
I read McCoy's recap of the game a few minutes ago. Ramirez was EXTREMELY nervous in the bullpen warming up before the game. Not exactly the message that you want to send to your teammates before the game. You're right, every game is crucial, whether it be this late in the season or even April, but the team just has to find a way to get over it and pick itself up off the mat. Remember when Milwaukee hammered us like 11-0 earlier in the year? Then Harang came right back and shut them out, and we won 11-0, or whatever the score was. This team has battled back before, hopefully they can do it again.

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 01:43 AM
You may and are probably right on the pen and the trade but our top 3 starters Harang, Arroyo and Milton are 28-19 and thats not to bad.

what's arroyo's record post ASB???

what i mean is, is that the total lack of intelligence on WK's part made him tweak out and get average middle relief for the bullpen (how many crappy lefties do we have now in the pen again???) instead of a #3 or #4 (or maybe a second tier #2) for lopez/kearns.

Blinded by hope....everyone..including the media.. i would have rather have kept our original pre-asb team, and maybe given up a prospect plus lopez OR kearns for a SP and some bullpen help.

ridiculous.

cincrazy
08-08-2006, 01:47 AM
Krivsky's lack of intelligence also brought in Ross, Phillips, Hatteberg, and Arroyo. Take those four out of the equation, and we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now. There's no doubt that we gave up a lot in the trade. And also no doubt that it's not working the way we would have liked. But give it more time. I think Bray is going to be something special for us, in whatever role we use him in.

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Krivsky's lack of intelligence also brought in Ross, Phillips, Hatteberg, and Arroyo. Take those four out of the equation, and we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now. There's no doubt that we gave up a lot in the trade. And also no doubt that it's not working the way we would have liked. But give it more time. I think Bray is going to be something special for us, in whatever role we use him in.

oh im sorry, i forgot Ross, Phillips, hatteburg, and arroyo are having career years.. yeah krivsky totally didnt guess and get lucky. he knew they wre gonna begin their HOF careers in Reds uni's..

:laugh:

nobody wanted ross, cleveland who almsot made the playoffs last year didnt want phillips, hatteburg had a garbage year last year, and arroyo is a #5 starter / middle reliever in the American League.

yeah executive of the year!

RedsMan3203
08-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Arroyo a 5th starter/middle reliver in the AL?

psshhh... I can see why you have the rep standing you do.

The man is only supporting a 3.47 ERA, and 127k's ... That isn't no 5th starter/middle reliver type of stats.

I bet you any amount of cash you want if you asked the Indians GM if he wanted Phillips back he'd do it in a heart beat... no questions asked... he got hosed.

Ross? A daimond in the ruff....

Hatteberg just plays baseball...

This team isn't nearly as bad as you think it is....

Whatever your smoking.. please... put it down... and leave it alone.

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Arroyo a 5th starter/middle reliver in the AL?

psshhh... I can see why you have the rep standing you do.

The man is only supporting a 3.47 ERA, and 127k's ... That isn't no 5th starter/middle reliver type of stats.

I bet you any amount of cash you want if you asked the Indians GM if he wanted Phillips back he'd do it in a heart beat... no questions asked... he got hosed.

Ross? A daimond in the ruff....

Hatteberg just plays baseball...

This team isn't nearly as bad as you think it is....

Whatever your smoking.. please... put it down... and leave it alone.

Dude. I was a red sox fan waaaay before I was a reds fan and im actually more of a sox fan than I am a reds fan and i have followed the red sox waaaay move in depth than you have and trust me, everybody in boston knew he was a #5 and was actually going to stay in the bullpen this year til the deal was made.

to argue my analysis of arroyo is to argue everyone in baseball who follows the red sox. no AL team wanted him.

RedsMan3203
08-08-2006, 02:39 AM
Then please... Leave us be... Go back to ur "Red Sox Nation" and leave us be....

To have the right to complain about something and whine and cry about something you need to be a REDS FAN.

Not a mix. Give it a break.

KalDanielsfan
08-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Then please... Leave us be... Go back to ur "Red Sox Nation" and leave us be....

To have the right to complain about something and whine and cry about something you need to be a REDS FAN.

Not a mix. Give it a break.

i love the reds too. i was born and raised in Ohio..i was simply validating the point i made about arroyo. Your futile attempt to argue was amusing though. nice try. im an arroyo fan as well, but i'm one of the few realists on this board.

and i think being honest while being a reds fan is the best way to support your team.

i

MaineRed
08-08-2006, 06:40 AM
They came out flat for a big game.

They? The Lizard came out flat. You can't say the entire team did. The Cards had 4 doubles to lead off the game. And then it got worse.

That sinks a team, any team, not just the Reds.

Always Red
08-08-2006, 07:03 AM
very disappointing, to say the least.

The baseball season is a crawl, not a sprint, and today is a new day.

I can understand the anger from the fans on this forum, I can understand the frustration, the disappointment and the angst that comes from losses like last night's, but I really don't understand the smug laughing, and rubbing it in, from folks who profess to be fans.

RedsMan3203
08-08-2006, 08:33 AM
They? The Lizard came out flat. You can't say the entire team did. The Cards had 4 doubles to lead off the game. And then it got worse.

That sinks a team, any team, not just the Reds.

Yes, the entire team came out flat... period... When you only score 1 run and get six hits off their 5th stater... then the whole team came out flat... Don't blame it all on the Lizard.

REDREAD
08-08-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm not so sure the team was overconfident and needed a wake up call. If being swept by LA wasn't a wake up call, nothing is going to "wake" them up.

We still have a shot at winning the wildcard, but Ariz and LA are going to make us earn it. We're going to have to overcome our weakness and try to win some games. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.

We're in the position now where we need to split the Cards series. Taking 2 out of the next 3 isn't going to be easy. IMO, at this stage of the season, you can't just shrug off losses.. I think we've gone 3-7 in our last ten games (maybe it's 4-6).. Thats not going to get it done. We had a decent 4-5 game lead in the wildcard. That's evaporated now. Time to win.

minus5
08-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Your futile attempt to argue was amusing though. nice try. i

Seriously, are you auditioning to be a bad guy on Star Trek or something? :rolleyes:

RedsMan3203
08-08-2006, 10:42 AM
It wasn't a wake up call... it was a kick to the jimmy.

cincrazy
08-08-2006, 11:18 AM
There's no doubt it was an awful game. But it was a reality check, and sometomes that can serve as a good thing. And Kal, as far as Arroyo being a #5 starter/reliever in the AL, the guy was one of their key components in 2003/2004. The only reason he was slotted so slow in the rotation was BECAUSE of that rotation and the other guys in it. He's certainly not a #1 over there, but he's way better than a reliever, and even a #5. Just because I'm not one of the five billion bandwagon Red Sox fans in the world doesn't mean I don't know that. Any Boston fan will tell you how much he meant to that team.