PDA

View Full Version : Homer = The next K-Rod??? (THT)

dabvu2498
08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
The premise of the article:

Every season there seem to be at least one rookie who comes from out of nowhere and gives his team a boost down the stretch or in the postseason. Last season, Bobby Jenks didn't pitch in his first Major League Baseball game until July 6, but ended the season pitching in 32 of Chicago's last 80 games, racking up six saves and a 2.75 ERA along the way. During the playoffs, he served as White Sox closer, saving four of the White Sox's 11 wins en route to a World Series title.

Four years ago that player was Francisco Rodriguez, who came up in September, pitched in just five games in the regular season, and ended up winning five games in the playoffs as the Angels surged to their first ever World Series victory.

Now that the trade deadline has passed, calling up prospects will be the only practical way for teams to potentially add an impact player; see the Andruw Jones saga for a primer on the folly of trying to pass a star through waivers. As I noted in last week's column, projecting minor leaguers and prospects is an iffy proposition, but nonetheless, here are five young guys whom you might not have heard of (so no Jered Weaver, who's a victim of his own early success, in this case) who could be one of this season's breakout rookies.

Homer Bailey, SP, Cincinnati Reds

OK, so he's the long shot pick here. I could have gone with Philip Hughes or Craig Hansen here, but Homer Bailey has simply been a better player this season and will at least tempt the Reds with the idea of using him to solidify their bullpen in September. The hard-throwing right hander has been putting together a monster season that stands up to the one being notched by the more heralded Hughes.

After dominating Single-A to open the season, Bailey has shown no signs of letting up at Double-A, which is traditionally a hard jump for prospects to make. Rather than struggling, Bailey has put up a 1.51 ERA in 35.2 innings, to go along with 35 strikeouts, just eight walks and a miniscule one home run allowed. Bailey's 97-mile-per-hour fastball and power curve should play anywhere, and Baseball America's #11 pitcher coming into the season could shine if given a chance to come out of the bullpen and dominate for an inning.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/who-wants-to-be-the-next-k-rod/

Funny stuff. Discuss.

RedsManRick
08-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Side stepping the obvious question about whether or not it would be a smart move, the best way to accomplish this is to have a guy go on the DL before the playoffs, allowing us call up somebody on the 40 man. Weathers, Mercker, I'm looking at you!

Falls City Beer
08-09-2006, 10:09 AM
It's a perfect storm: Krivsky needs political help after the Majewski oversight and the Reds need a reliever (actually, they need a starter; but baby steps...).

Make it happen.

LincolnparkRed
08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
I think you can just move Claussen to the 60 day DL and then you would have a spot for homer

jmac
08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
i am quickly losing confidence with lizard and loshe is still in "try him as #5" so i'm not sure i wouldnt rather have him in rotation. i mean if you bring him up...he's here anyway so put him in.just thinkin

Heath
08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
If Homer Bailey is the future, why risk the present? Isn't also Homer on some type of "Innings Cap" as well? Sure the carrot's in front of the horse, but at some point the carrot gets eaten.

I think the patience shown by the Reds will pay off in the end for Homer Bailey. JMO.

thatcoolguy_22
08-09-2006, 10:29 AM
i am quickly losing confidence with lizard and loshe is still in "try him as #5" so i'm not sure i wouldnt rather have him in rotation. i mean if you bring him up...he's here anyway so put him in.just thinkin

i agree with the lizard and loshe statements but, Homer shouldn't be a starter yet. Remember the ridiculously strict pitch count that he is on in AA ball... However an inning in clutch situations would be phenomenal also it would be great to give him a taste to "further motivate" him... :)

Heath
08-09-2006, 10:33 AM

Lohse is just fodder for now, I wouldn't give up on Lizard, he's still relatively young and he's learning. He'll be a very good 3/4 type but once he regains some confidence in his stuff and be a little more aggressive on the mound, he'll be just fine.

jmac
08-09-2006, 10:36 AM
i agree with the lizard and loshe statements but, Homer shouldn't be a starter yet. Remember the ridiculously strict pitch count that he is on in AA ball... However an inning in clutch situations would be phenomenal also it would be great to give him a taste to "further motivate" him... :)
you may have a point there but that that means i still have my lizard/loshe worries......as you said tho,bailey comin in for an inning or 2,could just rare back and let her fly !

HBP
08-09-2006, 10:42 AM
If Homer Bailey is the future, why risk the present? Isn't also Homer on some type of "Innings Cap" as well? Sure the carrot's in front of the horse, but at some point the carrot gets eaten.

I think the patience shown by the Reds will pay off in the end for Homer Bailey. JMO.

I believe Krivsky stated that he wanted Bailey to get in around 150 IP. If that's the case, he has approximately 32 innings left this year, as he has now thrown 118 IP in 2006. Using 6 innings as an average start, that would mean Homer only has about 5 starts left.

I imagine we'll see him throw more than 150 this year.

BTW, ERA is down to 1.14 with a WHIP of 0.97 in Chatty.

Falls City Beer
08-09-2006, 11:32 AM
If Homer Bailey is the future, why risk the present?

Because Wayne is waist-deep in an ugly "present."

What's great is that the fans might come out winners in this whole thing.