PDA

View Full Version : Todd Hollandsworth traded to Cincinnati

TOBTTReds
08-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Per Marc

I'm not even surprised anymore when I hear the Reds have made another trade, and they've done it again today.

The Reds have acquired outfielder Todd Hollandsworth from the Indians in exchange for a player to be named later or cash. Hollandsworth will wear uniform No. 16 and take Brandon Claussen's spot on the 40-man roster as Claussen moves to the 60-day DL. A 25-man move is pending -- I'd guess Denorfia back to Louisville.

Danny Serafini
PTBNL or cash going to Cleveland, per team press notes. Claussen goes to the 60 day DL, no 25 man roster move will be made until Hollandsworth reports.

SultanOfSwing
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Reds get Hollandsworth

I'm not even surprised anymore when I hear the Reds have made another trade, and they've done it again today.

The Reds have acquired outfielder Todd Hollandsworth from the Indians in exchange for a player to be named later or cash. Hollandsworth will wear uniform No. 16 and take Brandon Claussen's spot on the 40-man roster as Claussen moves to the 60-day DL. A 25-man move is pending -- I'd guess Denorfia back to Louisville.

Interesting. :)

TOBTTReds
08-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Not a great bat, but maybe decent off the bench ala Valentin

bthomasiscool
08-09-2006, 01:38 PM
I like it

Falls City Beer
08-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Mea culpa,
mea culpa,
mea maxima culpa

fielder's choice
08-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Pretty terrible bat, OPS under .700. Probably a better option off the bench than Denorfia, though.

Gizmo
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
don't we already have more OFers than we know what to do with? So is Freel now out in RF in favor of the older lefty?

CySeymour
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Here is his line for the year:

.248 avg .309 obp .368 slg .677 ops

Not exactly awe-inspiring.

Danny Serafini
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm guessing this has to be about "veteran presence" on the bench, because his numbers aren't anything special this year.

TOBTTReds
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
We know he mashes in Cincy. He will be good off the bench.

MikeS21
08-09-2006, 01:42 PM
The way I see it, Denorfia needs to play every day. It's obvious he isn't going to play every day here. If he rots on the bench in Cincy, the only result will be that his trade value diminishes. Send him back to Louisville, let him pump up his numbers, and use him as trade bait this off-season.

Gizmo
08-09-2006, 01:42 PM

I see .237 .253 .442 .695 which is even worse.

fielder's choice
08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
According to Sportsline, he only has 4 walks on the year, and a .253 OBP. :eek:

BRM
don't we already have more OFers than we know what to do with? So is Freel now out in RF in favor of the older lefty?

Deno goes back to Louisville and Hollandsworth becomes the 4th outfielder.

joshnky
PTBNL seems to be very popular to the Reds trading partners this year. Or maybe its Cash. He always seems to have a lot of fans.

RBA
Did Narron say he will be off the bench? Veterans start!

Chainer
08-09-2006, 01:44 PM
He's gotta be better than Denorfia. He'll be decent off the bench.

Gizmo
Deno goes back to Louisville and Hollandsworth becomes the 4th outfielder.

Deno playing full time again is the only real good I see coming out of this. But I love Deno's speed off the bench if needed. He'll be back in 3 weeks, though, so we can live with it.

15fan
We know he mashes in Cincy. He will be good off the bench.

The question is whether he will still mash in Cincy once he is no longer facing Reds pitchers.

puca
08-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Not a good hitter by any means, but probably an upgrade from what Deno was giving the Reds however I do fear he will be overused by Narron being a veteran and all.

BRM
He's gotta be better than Denorfia. He'll be decent off the bench.

He's significantly worse defensively but he's got more power.

Gizmo
The question is whether he will still mash in Cincy once he is no longer facing Reds pitchers.
:laugh:

Krusty
08-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Hate to brag, but I called this one two weeks ago.

puca
08-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Then maybe you are to blame. Perhaps Krivsky reads RedsZone.

Chainer
08-09-2006, 01:49 PM
He's significantly worse defensively but he's got more power.

Oh yeah. Denorfia's bat was lacking....to say the least.

smith288
08-09-2006, 01:49 PM
The way I see it, Denorfia needs to play every day. It's obvious he isn't going to play every day here. If he rots on the bench in Cincy, the only result will be that his trade value diminishes. Send him back to Louisville, let him pump up his numbers, and use him as trade bait this off-season.
Forget Denofria... Dudes AAAA to the max.

Gizmo
08-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Then maybe you are to blame. Perhaps Krivsky reads RedsZone.

In that case, I see us landing Zito, Peavy, Halladay, Liriano, and Verlander to shore up our rotation. :fineprint

RBA
08-09-2006, 01:51 PM

Well, if you throw enough trades agaisnt the wall, one of them is bound to stick. :eek:

Good call. :thumbup:

Razor Shines
One the brightside Hollandsworth is hitting .167 in his last ten games. And he's slow.

Always Red
...maybe we're getting ready to lose our left-handed, pinch-hitting, 3rd string catcher? Why else would we need Hollandsworth's bat off the bench? Deno runs better and plays better defense, and neither he nor Hollandsworth have hit much this year.:dunno:

Gizmo
08-09-2006, 01:52 PM
One the brightside Hollandsworth is hitting .167 in his last ten games. And he's slow.

But that's mostly off the bench, and we're bound to start him in right full time, so he'll get enough ABs to come around.

Chainer
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM

Speed doesn't get you anywhere offensively if you can't get on base.

That goes for Hollandsworth and Deno.

joshnky
08-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Just a thought for those who anticipate recalling Deno in September. Before he was promoted the Bats were rolling along in first place and are now 2.5 out. Him going down will likely boost the Bats into the playoffs. Given that GMs usually don't want to pillage their farm teams when they're in the playoffs that could delay the return of Deno and a few pitchers.

huber14
08-09-2006, 01:57 PM
mabye someone could help me out, this may be a dumb question but i never understood how teams can still trade past the trade deadline, i guess i dont know because i never bothered to ask.

jmac
08-09-2006, 01:59 PM
i like it.gives us valentin and hollandsworth as lh options.
give wayne k credit.he isnt setting on his hands.

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 01:59 PM
mabye someone could help me out, this may be a dumb question but i never understood how teams can still trade past the trade deadline, i guess i dont know because i never bothered to ask.
The players have to clear waivers. What a shock no one else picked up Hollandsworth.

BRM
08-09-2006, 02:00 PM
But that's mostly off the bench, and we're bound to start him in right full time, so he'll get enough ABs to come around.

You should be flogged for saying such things. :angry:

:p:

cincrazy
08-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Hollandsworth is a solid signing. He's been around for a long time, and I think he can help us down the stretch off the bench. His defense isn't good, but I see him more as a nice left handed bat off the bench vs. certain pitcher's. Deno needed to play every day in AAA. He clearly isn't ready for the majors yet, let alone a pennant race. The guy just doesn't have any plate discipline up here at all.

Gizmo
08-09-2006, 02:01 PM
i like it.gives us valentin and hollandsworth as lh options.
give wayne k credit.he isnt setting on his hands.

I just worry about how much it messes with chemistry in the clubhouse. We've had a group of guys overachieving together all year, and now every other day there's a shakeup. I hate to see things get so shaken up, that nothing has time to settle.

Always Red
08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Deno needed to play every day in AAA. He clearly isn't ready for the majors yet, let alone a pennant race. The guy just doesn't have any plate discipline up here at all.
that's true. I've been a big fan of Deno's, but he's not helping us right now.

huber14
08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
The players have to clear waivers. What a shock no one else picked up Hollandsworth.

thats what thought sort of. My dad is a indians fan and so sometimes i watch the indians too, Hollandsworth was nothing special in Clevland from what i remeber.

redsmetz
08-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Sometimes responses here on Redszone are just silly. Clearly Hollandsworth is coming here as a bat off the bench, some lefthanded punch. I think Denorfia goes back to Louisville to get playing time and will probably get a September call-up, but I wouldn't swear to that.

This baloney about Vet-love and all is ridiculous. This is about making the bench stronger in clear pinch hitting situations.

Royals Fan
08-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I would love to get reggie sanders but I dont think - he ever clears waivers in the AL and Nl. to the Reds.

redsmetz
08-09-2006, 02:07 PM
With so much turnover, guys like Phillips, Arroyo and Ross are becoming seasoned vets on this roster!

osuceltic
08-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Sometimes responses here on Redszone are just silly. Clearly Hollandsworth is coming here as a bat off the bench, some lefthanded punch. I think Denorfia goes back to Louisville to get playing time and will probably get a September call-up, but I wouldn't swear to that.

This baloney about Vet-love and all is ridiculous. This is about making the bench stronger in clear pinch hitting situations.
Bingo. Thank you for the voice of reason.

Good pickup. A veteran left-handed professioonal bat for the bench. We needed it.

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
His RISP numbers are .333/.345/.471 in 51 ABs.

BRM
08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Sometimes responses here on Redszone are just silly. Clearly Hollandsworth is coming here as a bat off the bench, some lefthanded punch.

I took those posts as jokes personally.

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I did too, but it's getting kind of old. Like "Narron has man love for RA." Or "Narron is in love with middle aged men."

Gizmo
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM

I know my posts are in jest, other than the stats line, which I only wish were a joke!

Not bad RISP numbers, though. Hopefully he finds his bat off the bench, as he's 1 for his last 14 off the bench.

BRM
08-09-2006, 02:13 PM
I did too, but it's getting kind of old. Like "Narron has man love for RA." Or "Narron is in love with middle aged men."

I know. I think in this case though folks were just having a little fun.

Willy
08-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I think this trade is nothing more than the Reds want Denorfia to be playing everyday and now hecan go back to AAA and do that.

Freel is the everyday RF from here on out, if Denorfia would of caught fire after the Kearns trade, and took over the RF job, this trade would have never happened.

fielder's choice
08-09-2006, 02:14 PM

Those things are actually true, though. ;)

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Those things are actually true, though. ;)
Oh man that's even funnier. If this vet love thing is true how do you explain BP playing everyday back when we still had Tony Womack? Oh that doesn't fit with your theory so let's ignore it. Or how about before he got injured D. Ross playing everyday over LaRue? We'll just ignore that one too.

fielder's choice
08-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Oh man that's even funnier. If this vet love thing is true how do you explain BP playing everyday back when we still had Tony Womack? Oh that doesn't fit with your theory so let's ignore it. Or how about before he got injured D. Ross playing everyday over LaRue? We'll just ignore that one too.

Take a joke, homes. :rolleyes:

RichRed
08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
So this "experienced lefthanded bat" we just got, the one that hits .246/.266/.478 against righties this year and .260/.324/.428 the 3 years prior, and .239/.346/.352 with RISP in '03-'05...we really needed this?

big boy
08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
One of the ptbnls in all these trades is going to end up being good.

Gizmo
08-09-2006, 02:27 PM

I don't have a problem with Narron playing the best players, be it Rich, Hatteberge, Womack (HAHA), etc. I just hate when he's constantly sitting studs, such as when EE rode the pine 5 days out of 7.

He's seemed to come to the conclusion that Encarnacion needs to be in the lineup because he's raking, and I like how he's currently juggling Rich around the infield so both bats are out there. Really, that's all we ask: Play the best players. And on topic, I don't see Hollandsworth contributing any more or less than Deno, but it is nice to have a seasoned vet lefty to come off the bench than an unproven rookie, and another righty.

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Take a joke, homes. :rolleyes:
My original point was that these jokes were getting old. That is the first time I've ever commented on any of the many jokes of this type. Ok if you were joking fine my bad. But then don't tell me that JN only likes to play older vets.

Gizmo
08-09-2006, 02:29 PM

probably, but we also like to assume that at least one of the players we recieved will be beneficial as well.

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't have a problem with Narron playing the best players, be it Rich, Hatteberge, Womack (HAHA), etc. I just hate when he's constantly sitting studs, such as when EE rode the pine 5 days out of 7.

He's seemed to come to the conclusion that Encarnacion needs to be in the lineup because he's raking, and I like how he's currently juggling Rich around the infield so both bats are out there. Really, that's all we ask: Play the best players. And on topic, I don't see Hollandsworth contributing any more or less than Deno, but it is nice to have a seasoned vet lefty to come off the bench than an unproven rookie, and another righty.
I've always supported EE getting more playing time. But I just don't think that he doesn't play because JN has vet love. I just think that in JN's mind he plays RA because he's more consistent on defense. Whether anyone agrees with that or not is something to debate. Other than that one throw the other night EE's defense has been good of late and he's been getting more playing time.

reds1869
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
I like it. He has been great with RISP this season and that's exactly when he will be used. I will take his bat over Valentin's any day of the week. This trade is about the next three months, nothing more. The PTBNL will likely be Salmon P. Chase (the old $10K bill, if you don't know).

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Perhaps Hollandsworth will find NL pitching considerably friendlier than AL pitching - particulary in a division with DET, MIN and CWS. And Cincy's bandbox shouldn't hurt either.

knuckler
08-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Left-handed bat with some pop for the bench. Nothing more.

Gizmo
08-09-2006, 02:37 PM
I've always supported EE getting more playing time. But I just don't think that he doesn't play because JN has vet love. I just think that in JN's mind he plays RA because he's more consistent on defense. Whether anyone agrees with that or not is something to debate. Other than that one throw the other night EE's defense has been good of late and he's been getting more playing time.

I don't disagree, but I'll take a couple errors for the extra offense every time, especially after the Lopez/Kearns trade. I'm also of the camp that believes EE gets to more balls than Rich, thus allowing fewer hits to get through. Not that I don't like Rich, because I do. Ideally I'd have Hatte at first, Rich at second, Phillips at short, and Edwin in the hot corner.

keeganbrick
08-09-2006, 02:38 PM
We got that left handed bat off the bench that can pinch hit or get the occasional start against certain pitchers. I think its a good move for us considering it was low risk.

redsupport
08-09-2006, 02:43 PM
the key query is whether he "knows how toplay the game the right way."

dieselman44
08-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Todd is God

redsmetz
08-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I just worry about how much it messes with chemistry in the clubhouse. We've had a group of guys overachieving together all year, and now every other day there's a shakeup. I hate to see things get so shaken up, that nothing has time to settle.

Chemistry schemistry! Wayne's now moved into Mad Scientist mode playing with a witch's brew

http://www.headliner-productions.com/images/entertainers/f_madscience.jpg

reds1869
08-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Let's not forget that Krivsky has left a pretty good team behind in Minnesota. He knows how to build a franchise in a lesser market and imo how to build it for long term success. Until he proves otherwise, I trust him. Until this move blows up in our faces (and it won't), I like it. This team is light years better than it was when he took over and we owe him some respect for that.

Edit: and yes, I know he was Asst. GM up there. But he had a huge hand in things.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-09-2006, 03:02 PM
The guy has been a pretty good pinch hitter the last few years with Chicago and Cleveland this year, from what I've seen.

mbgrayson
08-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Todd Hollandsworth facts, stats, and scouting report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proper Name: Todd Mathew Hollandsworth
Born: April 20, 1973
Dayton, OH
Height: 6-2
Weight: 225 lbs.
Bats: Left
Throws: Left
Pos: LF
Experience: 11 years
2006 Salary: $900,000

2006 stats (w/ Cleveland):
Games:56
ABs: 156
Runs: 21
Hits: 37
2B: 12
3B: 1
HR: 6
RBI:27
SB: 0
Avg: .237
OBP: .253
SLG: .442
vs. lefties: .190 in 21 ABs, 0 HR
vs. righties .244 in 135 ABs, 6 HR

2006 Baseball Prospectus:“The well-traveled fourth outfielder spent most of the year in Chicago as point man in Dusty Baker's plot to foil the development of Jason Dubois. Once that mission was accomplished, the Cubs shipped Hollandsworth to Atlanta in a waiver wire deal that netted Dusty a cattleprod to use on Matt Murton. Coming to a team stacked with left-hitting outfielders, Hollandsworth was redundant, and Cox left him off the post-season roster. A free agent, he'll find work with a club that appreciates his pinch-hitty goodness.”

VORP: (Value over replacement player)
2003: 0.0
2004: 13.5
2005 Cubs: -3.6
2005 Braves: -3.0
2006 (projected): 1.3
2006 (actual to date): -3.8

2006 Sporting News Baseball Register Scouting Reports “Hollandsworth is an experienced hitter with good power and the ability to deliver big hits off the bench. Likes the ball low and will look to pull. Combines patience with good bat speed and has become one of the league's best pinch hitters. Is a below-average runner. Can play a little right field. Has a good arm but has poor range and gets inconsistent jumps. Grade: 5.4"

2006 Bill James Handbook hitter projection:
.264 avg.
.326 OBP
.426 SLG
6 HRs

Final notes:

Wayne Krivsky has acquired a professional pinch hitter for us.

There is a trend here of picking up guys that have post-season experience, and Hollandsworth fits right into that mold. He was in the playoffs in 1995 and 96 with the Dodgers, and 2003 with the Marlins. WK must be thinking these post-season guys know how to help steer a team through August and September into the playoffs. Now 9 of Krivsky's acquisitions have post-season experience. ... See my earlier post on Reds with post-season experience HERE (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49772).

REDREAD
08-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Pretty terrible bat, OPS under .700. Probably a better option off the bench than Denorfia, though.

If it stops Castro from pinch hitting, it's a good move. Although most of the time Castro is on deck to pinch hit, he gets called back. It gets to the point where you just know Castro on deck is an attempted dupe for the opposing manager. :)

Always Red
08-09-2006, 03:14 PM
edited

redsmetz
08-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I like it. He has been great with RISP this season and that's exactly when he will be used. I will take his bat over Valentin's any day of the week. This trade is about the next three months, nothing more. The PTBNL will likely be Salmon P. Chase (the old $10K bill, if you don't know).

How many people will notice the plaque sign up a block from GABP telling the history of Chase tonight?

Falls City Beer
08-09-2006, 03:24 PM
the key query is whether he "knows how toplay the game the right way."

He's cleaned the Augean Stables.

Always Red
08-09-2006, 03:31 PM
well, he's not quite Hercules...

Falls City Beer
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
well, he's not quite Hercules...

No but he is covered in poop.

Always Red
08-09-2006, 03:36 PM
No but he is covered in poop.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Falls City Beer
08-09-2006, 03:37 PM

Great point. The trouble with this presumed "nothing for nothing" trades is that they overlook the fact that occasionally young nothings become older somethings, and older nothings become even older nothings.

Ship out enough of these kids for nothing in return and you'll get burned. I don't mind doing it if it's for something of value, but if it's not....

redsupport
08-09-2006, 03:41 PM
has be wrestled the belt of Hippolytica, or jousted with Nemean llion, or tried to reverse the Cookie Rojas for Jim Owens trade?

Team Clark
08-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Good move. I'd rather have Sweeney in SF.

col4life
08-09-2006, 03:55 PM

I think Fielder's Choice was implying that Narron and Aurilia are hooking up and that is why he is playing him. Come on, that's funny :laugh:

Barbarossa
08-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Believe Hollandsworth is from Dayton, that ought to count for something.:beerme:

Matt700wlw
08-09-2006, 04:26 PM

7 pinch hit HRs isn't such a bad thing.

BRM
08-09-2006, 04:30 PM
7 pinch hit HRs isn't such a bad thing.

He's 2 for 16 as a pinch hitter this year with no HRs.

KronoRed
08-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Todd is God
Nah, he's Todd.

KronoRed
08-09-2006, 04:33 PM
I believe that's a bat avg of poop.

James B.
08-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't see why some must complain about every move that is made. Like some has already said this is nothing more than a move for a lefthanded bat of the bench. This guy has a little pop in his bat, and I would rather see him at the plate pinch hitting, than anyone else we have.

Chainer
08-09-2006, 04:49 PM
I'd rather have Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez, Miguel Tejada, Vlad Guerrero, Gary Matthews Jr, Matt Holiday, and the list keeps going on and on...

But fact is....we got a good off the bench veteran. Something this ballclub needs.

Matt700wlw
08-09-2006, 04:51 PM

What am I smoking?

KronoRed
08-09-2006, 04:52 PM
What am I smoking?
Dunno, but share darnit.

BRM
08-09-2006, 04:52 PM
What am I smoking?

I don't know. ;)

CincyReds2003
08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I don't see why some must complain about every move that is made. Like some has already said this is nothing more than a move for a lefthanded bat of the bench. This guy has a little pop in his bat, and I would rather see him at the plate pinch hitting, than anyone else we have.

So they can complain about something.:D

Roy Tucker
08-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Wouldn't he fit better in Pittsburgh since they have 2 rivers?

redsupport
08-09-2006, 05:32 PM
the monongahela needs extra cleaning

Team Clark
08-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Sounds like the 1990 Reds. They were borderline contenders that year too.:laugh:

Topcat
08-09-2006, 05:50 PM

What chemistry the bullpens been a revolving door lol. As for Hollandsworth if he is a lefty bat of the bench great news:beerme: , he can help and weird as it seems every year some scrub makes key plays that help to get a team to the playoffs. repeat after me now 3 pinch hit game winning at bats for Hollandsworth;)

Team Clark
08-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Believe Hollandsworth is from Dayton, that ought to count for something.:beerme:

Maybe he can stay at Rick White's place.

Razor Shines
08-09-2006, 06:05 PM
I think Fielder's Choice was implying that Narron and Aurilia are hooking up and that is why he is playing him. Come on, that's funny :laugh:
Except it's about the 1000th time it's been implied on this board.

GOREDSGO32
08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm all for having more bats and veterans off the bench. Sure he has sucky numbers this year, but so did Hattebrugh, Phillips, Aurilia before joining the Reds.

IrishDavidKY
08-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Good move! Denorfia needs to play and it's not going to happen here. At least he'll play in Louisville.

Dunner44
08-09-2006, 10:50 PM
I just watched Hollandsworth whilst reliving Wily Mo bobblehead night over at ye olde top plays archive. He's no Gary Matthews Jr. in F, but he'll do as a lefty off the bench when we face righty starters (read: Hatte is starting)

shredda2000
08-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm all for having more bats and veterans off the bench. Sure he has sucky numbers this year, but so did Hattebrugh, Phillips, Aurilia before joining the Reds.

GABP..The new COORS...where washed up veterans go to rejuvenate their careers! :thumbup: