PDA

View Full Version : Question re Road Jerseys

TeamBoone
08-09-2006, 06:38 PM
I noticed last night that the Cards jerseys say "Cardinals" on the front.

Isn't it tradition (or maybe even a rule) that road jerseys state the city (CINCINNATI Reds) or geographic area (ARIZONA Diamondbacks) of the visiting team?

macro
08-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Tradition? Yes.
Regulated by MLB? No.

The Cardinals are one of a very few teams that have done this, and I'm pretty sure they have never worn their city name on their road jerseys.

The Dodgers did it for many years in the 70s, 80s, and most of the 90s, before switching back to the "Los Angeles" script in 1999. (They used this same "Los Angeles" script in the 60s.)

The Angels have had "Angels" on their road unis since the 1960s, with the exception of two years: 2002 and 2003, when they had "ANAHEIM" in block letters. In 2004 they returned to using the word "Angels". Their road jerseys said "Los Angeles" when the franchise was formed in the early 60s, but they changed them to read "ANGELS" when they became the "California" Angels four or five years later.

The Astros had "Astros" on both their home and road jerseys during the rainbow stripe era of the 70s, 80s, and early 90s.

The Royals started wearing "Royals" in script on their road powder blue uniforms in the early 80s (1983 maybe?) and stuck with that until returining to the city name on their road jerseys in the mid-90s. They had the city name in their first years as a franchise.

The Baltimore Orioles have had "Orioles" in script on their road jerseys since the early 70s.

There may be others that I'm not thinking of right now. I think the A's just had "A's" on their road green (and sometimes yellow) road jerseys at times in the days of the pullover jerseys.

Personally, I'd prefer that all teams have their geographic name on their road jerseys, including the Cardinals. But their tradition goes back to the days before most of us were born, so they're not going to change.