PDA

View Full Version : Reds article in USA Today

dabvu2498
08-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Reds chug along, stay in playoff hunt
Updated 8/11/2006 3:33 AM ET
By Jorge L. Ortiz, USA TODAY

Long removed from the days of the Big Red Machine, the Cincinnati Reds are now more like the little engine that could. Or maybe could not.
In an effort to help the club reach the postseason for the first time since 1995, first-year general manager Wayne Krivsky has dealt for seven major-leaguers in less than a month, including outfielder Todd Hollandsworth on Wednesday.

Cincinnati remains atop the National League wild-card standings after splitting a four-game series with the Central Division-leading St. Louis Cardinals, and a pack of contenders is nipping at their heels.

Among the teams are the Philadelphia Phillies, who have vaulted into the wild-card race by going 6-3 in August.

The Reds, who begin a three-game series in Philadelphia on Friday, have a 4-6 mark this month after Thursday's 6-1 loss to St. Louis but not for lack of maneuvering. The club traded for closer Eddie Guardado (seven saves as a Red), right-hander Kyle Lohse and relievers Rheal Cormier, Gary Majewski and Bill Bray.

"Players who have been here for a while definitely see a change, and it starts at the top with ownership and their commitment to win," Krivsky said.

The four-game set with the Cardinals reflected the Reds' plight. For every catch by daredevil outfielder Ryan Freel or jubilant celebration of a David Ross game-ending home run, there was a deflating loss in which the NL's top homer-hitting club scored only one run.

The Reds pitching staff has a 4.77 ERA, 11th in the National League. Still, the team has gone 8-4 against the Cardinals, whom it trails by 3½ games and will meet again in St. Louis next week. Cincinnati has also fared well against other wild-card aspirants including the Colorado Rockies (5-1) and Houston Astros (7-2).

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/reds/2006-08-11-drive-for-postseason_x.htm

redsmetz
08-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Doesn't give us much credit, does he? Deflating loss?? I think this is overstating the situation. While time is certainly passing, we're not in bad shape and this is a team that just might succeed and folks like this writer can go cry in their beer that the Reds are putting a decent team on the field.

dabvu2498
08-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Doesn't give us much credit, does he? Deflating loss?? I think this is overstating the situation. While time is certainly passing, we're not in bad shape and this is a team that just might succeed and folks like this writer can go cry in their beer that the Reds are putting a decent team on the field.
The bubble was certainly less full yesterday at 3 PM than it was Wednesday at 10 PM.

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 09:13 AM

Decent doesnt take u to the playoffs or far in the playoffs.

Im not pessimistic, just a realist. Pitching and defense wins championships? well we're 22nd and 27th in the majors in each category.

I think this writer was being easy on us.

redsmetz
08-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Decent doesnt take u to the playoffs or far in the playoffs.

Im not pessimistic, just a realist. Pitching and defense wins championships? well we're 22nd and 27th in the majors in each category.

I think this writer was being easy on us.

ah, your usual breath of sunshine, no?

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 11:21 AM
ah, your usual breath of sunshine, no?

i keep you guys on your toes..you love it

redssouth
08-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I swear every time i look KalDanielsfan has gone further in the hole with his rep points.. its come to the point where i will open a thread just to see where he stands... awesome.

redsupport
08-11-2006, 11:44 AM
at -18, his point total is asymptotically approaching Mike Smith's performance as a Reds reliever

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I swear every time i look KalDanielsfan has gone further in the hole with his rep points.. its come to the point where i will open a thread just to see where he stands... awesome.

LOLLOLOLOL

You should see the lame reasons I get the negative point. oh well. liek I said, I cant help but be the voice of brutal honesty at times.

some of us live outside of the midwest and see things in a different way..and love our Reds in different ways.

i love them in an honest "tell your wife she's fat way". not in a "I just met a hot girl so I am treating her like a queen so I can have sex with her soon" kinda way.

redssouth
08-11-2006, 12:48 PM
I havent read all of your posts.. but i have never had a problem with what you are saying, granted i may think some of your thoughts are crazy, but it wouldnt be much fun if we all agreed all the time. Keep it up Kal, i wonder if you get to -200 points, you get over to the Old Red Guard???

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 01:19 PM
I havent read all of your posts.. but i have never had a problem with what you are saying, granted i may think some of your thoughts are crazy, but it wouldnt be much fun if we all agreed all the time. Keep it up Kal, i wonder if you get to -200 points, you get over to the Old Red Guard???

lol bro i see where u are from and I lived in Brookhaven for almost 4 years in a house off of North Druid Hills.

redssouth
08-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Atlanta isnt bad, im from Sidney, Oh. Moved down here about 5 years ago.. not too bad, I live way north of the city in Cumming, Ga. Who the hell gave you positive rep points!!! That Bulltish... dont they know we want to see -200!!!

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Atlanta isnt bad, im from Sidney, Oh. Moved down here about 5 years ago.. not too bad, I live way north of the city in Cumming, Ga. Who the hell gave you positive rep points!!! That Bulltish... dont they know we want to see -200!!!

i know its garbage bro.. help me out here :)

also, cumming, ga was always one of the funnier city names...ever make it down to Buckhead/Midtown?

redssouth
08-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Used to all the time... Cumming is great for a town name, what makes it even better is the Siemens water tower in Cumming... you cant make this stuff up. I worked in Buckhead for about 3 years, great restraunts... terrible traffic.

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Used to all the time... Cumming is great for a town name, what makes it even better is the Siemens water tower in Cumming... you cant make this stuff up. I worked in Buckhead for about 3 years, great restraunts... terrible traffic.

my first summer in atlanta to look for a house to buy was the last summer of Freaknik.

and I was a green, naive guy from Ohio (miami university J Crew U right?) and it scared the **($#*( out of me. i thought freaknik was just a weekly occurrence in atlanta and not a "festival." lol

redssouth
08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Black Hollywood... you should have been here for the NBA all star game. Same weekend as the pimps-n-hos playas ball!!! Two words... ghetto fabulous

ChaseReds
08-11-2006, 02:55 PM
LOLLOLOLOL

You should see the lame reasons I get the negative point. oh well. liek I said, I cant help but be the voice of brutal honesty at times.
some of us live outside of the midwest and see things in a different way..and love our Reds in different ways.
i love them in an honest "tell your wife she's fat way". not in a "I just met a hot girl so I am treating her like a queen so I can have sex with her soon" kinda way.

I doubt they are lame. I dont know any poster on this forum who takes away rep for the fun of it.

What does geographic location have to do with your "love" for the Reds? Just because you live to far to go to a game you can "rag" on them all you want. Your so called "different" point of view is really nothing more than a useless rant- expect you never have facts or stats to back them.

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I doubt they are lame. I dont know any poster on this forum who takes away rep for the fun of it.

What does geographic location have to do with your "love" for the Reds? Just because you live to far to go to a game you can "rag" on them all you want. Your so called "different" point of view is really nothing more than a useless rant- expect you never have facts or stats to back them.

I think they are lame. but thats just me. no big deal. its a fan board.

also my geographic location has to do with hearing other media outlets talk about other teams and the reds from a more objective view point..usually their analysis is fair and in the context of MLB as a whole.

Believe me, I love the Reds. I am hard on them cuz I am passionate about them doing well. thats all. People misconstrue my harsh words as malicious, when really I mean them as constructive criticism.

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Black Hollywood... you should have been here for the NBA all star game. Same weekend as the pimps-n-hos playas ball!!! Two words... ghetto fabulous

oh i was there for the nba all star game (buckhead and lennox mall was ridiculous)

also for the NCAA final four.

lol @ black hollywood.

Jr's Boy
08-11-2006, 06:10 PM
my first summer in atlanta to look for a house to buy was the last summer of Freaknik.

and I was a green, naive guy from Ohio (miami university J Crew U right?) and it scared the **($#*( out of me. i thought freaknik was just a weekly occurrence in atlanta and not a "festival." lol

Do they still have Freaknik every year?I heard they did away with it cause it had gotten out of hand.

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Do they still have Freaknik every year?I heard they did away with it cause it had gotten out of hand.

lol hell no..too much crime and voilence going on.

and thats not a racist statement..just fact.