PDA

View Full Version : If Reds miss wild card by one game?

redsupport
08-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Which game so far was the most winnable?
The 8-7 game with Weahters pitching to PUjols
The Majewski debacle losing to tthe Braves
The Ryan Howard homer of Hammond?
Blowing a 5-1 lead to Astros?

redsfan30
08-11-2006, 11:01 AM
My first thought was the Weathers/Pujols bottom of the ninth game.

Joseph
08-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Any game Joe Mays was allowed to start.

SunDeck
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Someone once said that a wasted pitch in the first game of the season could be the difference between winning a division and finishing second. I think that's what I love about baseball- every ball in play is important.

Sure, this doesn't contribute one iota to the thread, but the topic brought this to mind...

....continuing to be bored at work.

redsmetz
08-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Someone once said that a wasted pitch in the first game of the season could be the difference between winning a division and finishing second. I think that's what I love about baseball- every ball in play is important.

Sure, this doesn't contribute one iota to the thread, but the topic brought this to mind...

....continuing to be bored at work.

I can think of a number of wasted pitches in that first game and it was cold as the dickens too! Brrrr!!!!

goreds2
08-11-2006, 11:51 AM
The Brewer series before the ALL STAR break was a KILLER.

ochre
08-11-2006, 11:52 AM
half empty/half full

Which game that they 'shouldn't have won' did they go on to win?

HotCorner
08-11-2006, 11:53 AM

Agreed. Especially the game where the bullpen blew two extra inning leads.

RedsBaron
08-11-2006, 11:54 AM
half empty/half full

Dunn's grand slam walk-off winner against Cleveland. I just replayed Marty's HR call earlier this morning.

ochre
08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Dunn's grand slam walk-off winner against Cleveland. I just replayed Marty's HR call earlier this morning.
it was a nice call to go along with a nice moment, wasn't it?

MaineRed
08-11-2006, 12:13 PM
The game against the Cubs that the Reds lost on a Friday night to end the 8 game winning streak.

The Reds has the bases loaded with nobody out in the 9th, down a run and they couldn't get the guy in from 3rd. A win there would of been 9 in a row and might have stopped the slide that began that night with that loss.

redsupport
08-11-2006, 12:42 PM
excellent I forgot that one. How about the Braves game where they scored five in the ninth but standridge could not retire one batter in extra innings

jesusfan
08-11-2006, 01:04 PM
The game against the Cubs that the Reds lost on a Friday night to end the 8 game winning streak.

The Reds has the bases loaded with nobody out in the 9th, down a run and they couldn't get the guy in from 3rd. A win there would of been 9 in a row and might have stopped the slide that began that night with that loss.

Ask the Braves how that feels...

crazybob60
08-11-2006, 01:05 PM
The games we blew when Majewski was put out there, evidently pitching hurt. That hurt us. Also, the games against the Brew Crew right before the break!

Tom Servo
08-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I still have nightmares over those games.

Ltlabner
08-11-2006, 01:25 PM
The games we blew when Majewski was put out there, evidently pitching hurt. That hurt us. Also, the games against the Brew Crew right before the break!

Ummm...if we miss by one game how can you say the one(s) with Majeski were somehow more "important" losses than any other loss of the season?

If we fall one short no one loss will be any more or less important. The fact will be we fell one short. We can go back through the season and play "coulda, woulda, shoulda" but what a waste of time that would be. "But if we made this pitching change sooner...or if we would have had this line up....or if only EE had been in more games.

crazybob60
08-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Ummm...if we miss by one game how can you say the one(s) with Majeski were somehow more "important" losses than any other loss of the season?

If we fall one short no one loss will be any more or less important. The fact will be we fell one short. We can go back through the season and play "coulda, woulda, shoulda" but what a waste of time that would be. "But if we made this pitching change sooner...or if we would have had this line up....or if only EE had been in more games. Talk about living in fastesy land.

I was just answering the question that was asked. I just think those games that he appeared in and also the ones against the Brewers right before the break were definitely ones that we could have pulled out and should have won. That was just my opinion. It was only my thoughts on the matter.

redsupport
08-11-2006, 02:23 PM
The brewers games were devastating, coming from behind multiple times, even taking the lead and still faltering

Ltlabner
08-11-2006, 02:25 PM
That was just my opinion. It was only my thoughts on the matter.

As was I.

There are lots of games we "should have won". There are also a number of games we "shouldn't have won". Those have a tendency to ballance each other out over the course of a season.

So to pick one specific game, or one specific player's mistake and somehow hang the entire season on that one game/player, is a waste of time, IMO.

There are many factors that go into a winning or losing season.

crazybob60
08-11-2006, 03:31 PM
As was I.

There are lots of games we "should have won". There are also a number of games we "shouldn't have won". Those have a tendency to ballance each other out over the course of a season.

So to pick one specific game, or one specific player's mistake and somehow hang the entire season on that one game/player, is a waste of time, IMO.

There are many factors that go into a winning or losing season.

I have no problem in what you just said, actually I whole-heartedly believe what you just said is fact and they do pretty much balance each other out for the entire season, but I was just trying to answer the question in the thread.

No biggie though....

lo ryder
08-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Two words come to mind: Rick White

princeton
08-11-2006, 04:31 PM
if we get that close, you're all going to complain about missed opportunities?

I'll say this about these Reds: they've tried to seize all opportunities

MaineRed
08-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm not going to complain. But if someone brings up the topic, makes you think of the one that got away.

For me it is that Chicago game. But as someone pointed out, the Reds won a game where the other team had the tying run on 3rd with no outs so if both games go as perhaps they should have, the Reds are 1-1 in those games, just as they are in reality.

Should we have beaten the Cards the other night when Ross hit the HR?

It is a long seaosn, it all balances out, somewhat for most teams that are .500 or better.

OnBaseMachine
08-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Milton blowing a four or five run lead to the Royals?

FoReel
08-11-2006, 09:01 PM
half empty/half full

This was a nice devils advocate. Like the saying goes you win some and you lose some. If the reds actually do lose the WC by one game you can't look back at one moment in time.

KYRed
08-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Maybe tonight if we don't pull this out! A great start by Lohse, huge chance in the top of the 8th...

reds1869
08-11-2006, 11:43 PM
We just watched it in my opinion. I'll remember this loss for a long time.

EKURed
08-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Tonight

cincy jacket
08-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Don't forget about the Detroit game where Griffey had that homer and then Weathers blew it in the bottom of the 9th. Or something like that happened it has been so long since that series.

ochre
08-12-2006, 01:53 AM
seize
that might be the word to describe the season all the way around.

reds44
08-12-2006, 01:54 AM
How about having the bases loaded with 0 outs vs. Dempster down by 1 and not getting a run?

REDREAD
08-12-2006, 02:15 AM
The sweep by LA is going to look pretty big if they end up grabbing the WC.

oregonred
08-12-2006, 02:45 AM
15-6 vs. the Cards/Astros

44-51 against everyone else (1-15 vs. LA/Philly/DBacks/White Sox)

I can't remember a year with so many highs (Dunn's GS, Ross's walk-off jack, DenOs squibbler vs. the Rockies, Griffey's jack vs St Louis) and some devastating lows

Another one not mentioned was the game in ATL where the Reds scored five in ninth to tie and proceeding to let the Braves win in the bottom of the ninth.

The Milwaukee series before the AS Break was criminimal. Sunday vs. the Braves w/Smoltz and tonight blowing a lead twice were two devastating losses at exactly the wrong time.

I agree that the Cubs loss with the 8-game winning streak and at the 36-24 high water mark and first place possesion seemed to be a turning point. Next thing you knew they lost 8/9 on a homestand when they had all the momentum and buzz.

KYRed
08-12-2006, 02:59 AM
(1-15 vs. LA/Philly/DBacks/White Sox)

Hey, it's bad enough, we don't have to make it any worse than it is! :laugh:

We're actually 2-14 against those 4. I only remembered that we had won a game in each series against the D-Backs.

oregonred
08-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Hey, it's bad enough, we don't have to make it any worse than it is! :laugh:

We're actually 2-14 against those 4. I only remembered that we had won a game in each series against the D-Backs.

You are correct -- I was thinking we got swept at home.

ThatPitchIsDunn
08-12-2006, 08:35 AM
That Braves where Majewski faltered bigtime surely hurt quite a bit, but I'll go back to the Tigers game where Junior hit the grand slam off Zumaya to tie it up. Granted, all we did was tie that game up, but Lopez throwing the ball away was just an awful way to lose that game.

As for the one we probably had no business winning, I'll say Deno's game winner against the Rockies. I know Barmes had to charge, but for a ball that barely reached the OF grass to bring home 2 runs was kinda crazy to watch.