PDA

View Full Version : Harang for Cy Young?

bebo03
08-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Just happened to be looking at pitchers stats this morning. He's tyed for the lead in wins,first in complete games and 2nd in strikeouts. I really dont think he is getting the credit he deserves.

Johnny Footstool
08-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Just happened to be looking at pitchers stats this morning. He's tyed for the lead in wins,first in complete games and 2nd in strikeouts. I really dont think he is getting the credit he deserves.

He'll get some votes, but I bet the award goes to someone with name recognition like Chris Carpenter. Unless, of course, Harang hits that magic number of 20 wins.

crazybob60
08-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Name recognition and also because he doesn't pitch in a large-market city. Now say that this would be his second or third season pitching like this with him being that high in all those categories, I seriously think that then, he would receive his due credit. But alas, that is how much of this voting goes, in my opinion.

Tom Servo
08-11-2006, 01:10 PM
I don't like this thread. The "Bronson Arroyo Cy Young watch" thread is proof enough of a jinx for me.

princeton
08-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I personally don't think that we should trade Harang for a long-dead HoF pitcher, but there are other Reds that might make such a deal palatable to me

RichRed
08-11-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't like this thread. The "Bronson Arroyo Cy Young watch" thread is proof enough of a jinx for me.

Agreed. Let's start an "Eric Milton is terrible" thread to appease the baseball gods.

westofyou
08-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Harang for Cy Young?
I'd do that trade.

BCubb2003
08-11-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd do that trade.

I'd want an MRI first.

cumberlandreds
08-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I'd do that trade.

I don't think I would. There are rumors that Young has a dead arm.

KalDanielsfan
08-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I like Harang a lot but Brandon Webb has garnered alot of media this whole year from the EPSN/sporting news -types.

I hear ya though on harang. the media doesnt say much about him.

and because of that i think webb will get it (leader in wins and era)

joshnky
08-11-2006, 01:23 PM
He'll get some votes, but I bet the award goes to someone with name recognition like Chris Carpenter. Unless, of course, Harang hits that magic number of 20 wins.

That would certainly get him the Cy Young because he'd have to win almost if not all of the games he has remaining. That would certainly be amazing!

CaiGuy
08-11-2006, 01:24 PM
I like Harang a lot but Brandon Webb has garnered alot of media this whole year from the EPSN/sporting news -types.

I hear ya though on harang. the media doesnt say much about him.

and because of that i think webb will get it (leader in wins and era)
I think that Webb is more deserving anyways, but it would be awsome if Harang would get it.

Benny-Distefano
08-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Rumor has it that Cy Young would need cortisone before being able to pitch, and may need some time on the "DL."

vaticanplum
08-11-2006, 01:33 PM
His ERA is not really impressive enough -- down in twelfth place in an inferior league (still behind Arroyo, among others). He's an excellent pitcher and a workhorse, our ace no doubt, and we're lucky to have him, and I agree that he's very underrated. But he's not Cy Young material just yet. That is a realm of (ideally) terrifying dominance which he just hasn't entered yet.

however, the good thing about Harang is that he really does seem to work to improve every year, and I believe he has the potential to enter that realm with some good work and luck.

RedsBaron
08-11-2006, 01:35 PM
It depends who holds the rights to Cy Young's contract. If Jim Bowden has the rights, I wouldn't make the trade; Young probably has physical problems that Bowden will fail to disclose.
I think the Reds still hold the rights to Christy Mathewson. Maybe we should propose a trade of Mathewson, rather than Harang, for Cy Young.

RedFanAlways1966
08-11-2006, 02:25 PM
It depends who holds the rights to Cy Young's contract. If Jim Bowden has the rights, I wouldn't make the trade; Young probably has physical problems that Bowden will fail to disclose.
I think the Reds still hold the rights to Christy Mathewson. Maybe we should propose a trade of Mathewson, rather than Harang, for Cy Young.

:laugh:

You think there might be a lab somewhere in Arizona with the abilities to re-create these guys from DNA extracted from their frozen corpses?? Might as well get a good LH hitter like Ted Williams while we are at it.

Dunner44
08-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Rumor has it that Cy Young would need cortisone before being able to pitch, and may need some time on the "DL."

Dead list? ;)