PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't Germano be useful right now

Shaggy Sanchez
08-12-2006, 02:01 PM
I wasn't a big fan of the Cormier deal when it happened but after last night I like it even less. I know that Germano wasn't going to be a stud but I would rather have had him over Cormier on age alone. Having Germano around still would have given us more options in situations like last night. He could have come in late last night to help eat innings and give us a good shot to hold on or he could have been used to start tonight so that we wouldn't have to send a young starter out there after pitching an inning last night.

Reds1
08-12-2006, 02:03 PM
I like Cormier. I think he's pretty solid and been there. With any type of run for the playoffs I think he's more important then Germano. EZ only pitched 15 pitches. I think he should be good to go for 5-6 innings tonight. That is if he doesn't get blasted. The key start is Milton tomorrow. We need a 7-8 inning game. Seems like we do have an off day on Monday too! We'll be ok.

flyer85
08-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Comier not being able to pitch is much more useful

Reds1
08-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Comier not being able to pitch is much more useful

Just 1 game. Man! Take it easy on me! I think I read in the news he was available tonight. Also, it's not like we know when people get injured. It's part of the game.

cincrazy
08-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, with all due respect to Justin Germano, he's been traded for Joe Randa and Rheal Cormier in his career. Two guys well past their prime, and only spare pieces to a playoff run. Germano may indeed be decent in some capacity by the time all is said and done, but I can't see the guy being anything other than a spare part. Maybe he'll bounce around as a #5, maybe settle down as a decent reliever somewhere, who knows. But other than that, I just don't see much for him, so I don't regret giving him up for Cormier.

Reds1
08-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Didn't Cormier have the best ERA among relievers in the NL before the trade? I mean. If we are trying to fix the bullpen I would think that would be what you are looking for.

Ravenlord
08-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Didn't Cormier have the best ERA among relievers in the NL before the trade? I mean. If we are trying to fix the bullpen I would think that would be what you are looking for.
yes. but he also had a 3.44 BB/9 and a 3.44 K/9 at the time too. and now he doesn't have Bell, Rollins, and Utley behind him. but unlike what Narron believed (at least at the time of the trade), Cormier was being used mostly as a LOOGY.

Shaggy Sanchez
08-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I like Cormier. I think he's pretty solid and been there. With any type of run for the playoffs I think he's more important then Germano. EZ only pitched 15 pitches. I think he should be good to go for 5-6 innings tonight. That is if he doesn't get blasted. The key start is Milton tomorrow. We need a 7-8 inning game. Seems like we do have an off day on Monday too! We'll be ok.

My point was Cormier wasn't very useful for us last night and he really hasn't been all that great for us since the trade. I guess you can say that Cormier has been there and all but does this team really need more veteran experience? I know we have an off day coming up but a guy like Germano could go 6-8 innings on his own and keep from using the entire bullpen, Cormier is good for an inning or 2 at best. I'm not saying that Germano is the difference maker in us having a chance at the playoffs or anyhting but we now have a lot of guys in the pen that are only good for an inning or two at a time instead of a guy who can make a spot start if needed and actually go deep in the game.

Always Red
08-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Wouldn't Cormier and Germano (if he were still around) have totally different roles in this bullpen? I'm not sure how you can even compare them.

For sure he would have been useful last night, when I was looking through the roster trying to figure out if Aurilia or Phillips was going to pitch next, but you have to give something in order to get something back.

Germano would have had the role that Lohse has now- 5th starter/long reliever. I know they were traded for each other (Germano and Cormier) but if Kriv could have got more for Germano, it probably would have been done. I think we constantly overvalue our minor leaguers, as well as guys like Kearns and Lopez. They were not just given away. They were traded for three highly valued arms, two of which are struggling a little bit right now.

Just watch, it looks Bowden is rebuilding a Reds-type team over there in DC- all hit, average fielders, no pitch. All this in a park that you cannot hit HR's in.

Not sure why Kasten stuck with him?