PDA

View Full Version : Wilson

tomred
08-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Just read on MLB web site that the Astros cut Preston Wilson that is a surprise to me :confused:

CTA513
08-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Just read on MLB web site that the Astros cut Preston Wilson that is a surprise to me :confused:

I guess they figured he could be cut since Luke Scott has been playing pretty good.

He is a right hander with some pop that plays the outfield.
He might be worth checking out, but hes another guy that strikes out alot and I believe he has bad knees.

Royals Fan
08-12-2006, 06:43 PM
This will be an nice pick up by anyone in the Wildcard race- I would make an offer to the Astros- but im sure he wont traded to any NL team in the race.

Newman4
08-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Does he have to pass through waivers to be traded since he was DFA?

RedLegSuperStar
08-13-2006, 09:37 AM
This will be an nice pick up by anyone in the Wildcard race- I would make an offer to the Astros- but im sure he wont traded to any NL team in the race.

That doesn't make sense because he can just be picked up by any team in 10 days or until he is officially cut by the Astros. If a team offers them something half way decent I think they will except knowing that team that is trading for him is on the hook for his contract unless cash is involved from the Astros.

RedLegSuperStar
08-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Does he have to pass through waivers to be traded since he was DFA?

No, he is anyones game and a team doesn't have to part with someone on the 40 man roster.

Newman4
08-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Wilson > Hollandsworth IMO

By the way, Wilson's .819 OPS the last three seasons before this one is better than Austin Kearns .785. Wilson would be a nice addition IMO.

RedLegSuperStar
08-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Wilson > Hollandsworth IMO

By the way, Wilson's .819 OPS the last three seasons before this one is better than Austin Kearns .785. Wilson would be a nice addition IMO.

I agree but whos spot does he take? The only place I could think of is one of the catchers.

Newman4
08-13-2006, 08:52 PM
I agree but whos spot does he take? The only place I could think of is one of the catchers.

Well, if RA is going to play SS regularly then I guess Castro or Rolls Royce is expendable. Hollandsworth isn't too precious either. Ditto Larue. Whichever they can get something for and pass through waivers.

dougflynn23
08-13-2006, 09:52 PM
:) Preston Wilson is not a valuable part to a winning team. He is entirely too streaky to play a part time role. He needs to go to a team with a hole in the OF, preferably LF, and play every day. I could see him end up in St. Louis except for Houston won't deal him there, so probably Minnesota or Milwaukee.

BEETTLEBUG
08-16-2006, 12:12 AM
I saw Astros Waived him so could Reds DFA Clayton and get a Bucket of baseballs for Larue and sign Preston Wilson?

boognish
08-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Does Wilson really have pop? .405 SLG seems to suggest his power has considerably waned...especially considering the short porch in left at Minute Maid Park. His OPS is also .693 against RHP, and he has never been a selective hitter in his career. The reason there may not be many takers is that with his creaky knees, he is now a corner OF whose only above average attribute may have abandoned him.

The market for right-handed hitters has been established somewhat...the Pirates were only able to get an injured Shawn Chacon for a superior Wilson, Craig.

Cause: Our bench already has too many guys who hit LHP better than RHP
Effect: We sign Todd Hollandsworth

KalDanielsfan
08-16-2006, 09:24 AM
wilson, like castilla, was a product of the Colorado Rockies and their ballpark.

nuff said.

registerthis
08-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Effect: We sign Todd Hollandsworth

...whose OPS resides somewhere in Royce Clayton territory. Personally, I'd rather see Wilson than Hollandsworth in a Reds uni, although Hollandsworth brings better 'D than Wilson does, I'm certain that played a factor.

boognish
08-16-2006, 10:11 AM
...whose OPS resides somewhere in Royce Clayton territory. Personally, I'd rather see Wilson than Hollandsworth in a Reds uni, although Hollandsworth brings better 'D than Wilson does, I'm certain that played a factor.

I'm not saying Hollandsworth was a good pick-up, or that he will produce anything of value for the Reds...just look at last season's numbers as the everyday LF of the Cubs; the guy is not a good hitter.

However, I do think that in the FO's mind that Hollandsworth precludes Wilson. I will say that I shuddered when Freel was HBP last night...I envisioned Hollandsworth starting in RF the rest of the St. Louis series. :help: