PDA

View Full Version : Franklin must be moved into the rotation for EZ

5TimeWSChamps
08-12-2006, 08:40 PM
After tonight's performance combined with his previous two starts in August, it's obvious Ramirez has hit a wall. Whether it be tipping pitches, poor location, or lack of confidence, EZ needs a break, we can't afford to be using the bullpen in the 2nd inning every game he pitches.

Dunner44
08-12-2006, 08:42 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50078

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50038&page=2

I agree. I think Franklin was already advised to be prepared to start, this would be the turning point.

(Mods, can we just get one mega thread? 3 threads discussing EZ today is enough)

BoCcc2832
08-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I agree. Franklin has looked like he's been in control of his stuff and Elizardo has completely fallen off the map. Maybe he needs to go back to AAA to re-identify his pitches and resume play here in September.

keeganbrick
08-12-2006, 08:46 PM
How about this slower throwing version of Roger Clemens we got on the mound tonight?

3 IP, 0 H so far

Team Clark
08-12-2006, 09:08 PM
I like Franklin and Lohse in the Rotation. Just not back to back. Same type of pitcher.

5TimeWSChamps
08-12-2006, 09:13 PM
I like Franklin and Lohse in the Rotation. Just not back to back. Same type of pitcher.
I agree with this assumption, however, if you put Milton between the two of them, what does that really do? Lohse has looked phenomenal in his two starts, pitching as a #5 pitcher should. As much as I feel like we NEED Bailey to come up in order to get into the playoffs, I'm not holding my breath on this one.

dieselman44
08-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Hell why not pitch this guy out there right now.

Team Clark
08-12-2006, 09:18 PM
I agree with this assumption, however, if you put Milton between the two of them, what does that really do? Lohse has looked phenomenal in his two starts, pitching as a #5 pitcher should. As much as I feel like we NEED Bailey to come up in order to get into the playoffs, I'm not holding my breath on this one.

That's a really good question. I would want to see the pitching charts for all three guys for their last two appearances and take a closer look. Lohse in Between Arroyo and Harang, followed by Franklin then Milton I could live with. Of course you just can not do that and screw everyone up.

Team Clark
08-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Hell why not pitch this guy out there right now.

He's not looking too bad if you ask me. A ton of movement on his stuff.

Dunner44
08-12-2006, 09:23 PM
TC, in your opinion, how much is Michalak benefiting from the Phils not having a scouting report on him (or a hastily assembled one). I'm assuming that since he is a career AAA guy and because he was only added to the 40 today, that the phils hitters didn't scout him that much before the game.

Belisle kind of had the same thing going for him a few years back. He's do horribly in scheduled starts, but when he had to spot start, he'd pitch jems. Now is that lack or a scouting report or indicitive of how Belisle prepares, i don't know.

Team Clark
08-12-2006, 09:34 PM
TC, in your opinion, how much is Michalak benefiting from the Phils not having a scouting report on him (or a hastily assembled one). I'm assuming that since he is a career AAA guy and because he was only added to the 40 today, that the phils hitters didn't scout him that much before the game.

Belisle kind of had the same thing going for him a few years back. He's do horribly in scheduled starts, but when he had to spot start, he'd pitch jems. Now is that lack or a scouting report or indicitive of how Belisle prepares, i don't know.

I think it has a pretty big impact. I was waiting for a few Phillies hitters to see him for a second or third time before I made judgement. His best asset is his movement on his pitches. He does throw strikes. That's half the battle.

Belisle... I think a lot of his success is his mental state. When he spot starts he doesn't have to think about it.

5TimeWSChamps
08-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Agreed, Belisle's game is all mental

dieselman44
08-12-2006, 10:25 PM
90% of the game is half mental

howyoufreelin
08-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Do you think Michalak could be nearly this effective everytime he pitches or do you think once players have a chance to scout him, he'd be hammered?

2001MUgrad
08-12-2006, 10:33 PM
I think its tough to use this start is a basis for taking EZ out of the rotation, last time out he was horrible, no doubt. But, I'm not sure what Narron expected today after last nights debacle.

5TimeWSChamps
08-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I think its tough to use this start is a basis for taking EZ out of the rotation, last time out he was horrible, no doubt. But, I'm not sure what Narron expected today after last nights debacle.
He had a good run earlier in the year when he wasn't getting any run support, but now, it's almost like with Arroyo; teams are seeing him more and he's not fooling anyone lately; maybe it's coincedence since Valentin is always the one who catches him, perhaps Ross should catch him next time. I dunno, I'm fresh out of ideas.

Dunner44
08-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Michalak would do well to move to the long relief spot. Belisle may or may not be ready, but no reason to rush him. How many hitters do in depth scouting on the long reliever? Top set up me and closer, yes, but not the long guy.

Team Clark
08-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Do you think Michalak could be nearly this effective everytime he pitches or do you think once players have a chance to scout him, he'd be hammered?

Great question. Pitchers that have a tremendous amount of movement on their pitches are difficult to scout. i.e. Scott Sullivan. Everybody knew what Scott had but for years he was pretty damn good. Not that Michalak is Scott Sullivan just giving you a familiar name to compare. Just about everything I saw the guy throw tonight started int eh zone and darted out. That's a REAL GOOD thing. I would need to see another 5-7 innings of him to really get a feel. For all we know he may have had the best outing of his life tonight.

EZ... sometimed I want to be in the dugout waiting for the pitcher and catcher. I would have smacked Javy right upside the head tonight. First of all, EZ rarely shakes Javy. Tonight that was a bad idea. EZ's FB was poo poo. Who can blame him? I saw him hitting 85 MPH last night then he has to come in and start today. EEEKS. My point is, most of the HARD hits he gave up tonight were on change ups. A majority of them were up in the zone. His change was innefective for two reasons. 1)Not enough difference in speed between his FB and CH. 2) EZ, clearly has a tired arm. Watching him "push" the ball tonight I was willing to bet my house his breaking ball and change would be up in the zone. Bingo.

I would have to look at the stats but I'm not sure if he does this every year or what his deal is. He needs abotu 10 days off.

5TimeWSChamps
08-13-2006, 04:20 AM
TC, I agree with you; that's why I feel like Valentin has to take some of the blame also for the way he calls the game. On Monday night, 9 pitches into the game, it was 5-0 Cardinals and EZ had thrown all fastballs, they were just digging in and just pounding him.

SanDiegoRed
08-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I posted this on another thread...Randy Jones won a Cy Young award as a soft tossing junk throwing left hander...so go figure..

Team Clark
08-13-2006, 03:09 PM
I posted this on another thread...Randy Jones won a Cy Young award as a soft tossing junk throwing left hander...so go figure..

With A LOT of movement on his pitches. If I am not mistaken he had an outstanding breaking ball and an even slower change. Pete Rose called it "slop".