PDA

View Full Version : We should just take Junior's 2009 option right now, and give him an 8 mil a year

GOREDSGO32
08-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Take the club option for 09 and give him a deal for 3 more years at 8 million a year .. what do you think? :thumbup:

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 08:12 PM
Three more years past 2009? that would nuts.

Chainer
08-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I believe 2009 will be Juniors last year. I believe the Reds will take his option for one more year. He will retire after the season.

Reds Nd2
08-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Three more years past 2009? that would nuts.

The Reds are better off taking the $4M buyout for '09.

KronoRed
08-13-2006, 10:07 PM
I think 2008 will be it, 20 years in the big leagues is something to be proud of.

WMR
08-13-2006, 10:24 PM
The Reds WILL pick up the option if Junior doesn't retire.

Bobby C. is not going to espouse the idea of 'the power of tradition' out of one side of his mouth and out of the other to refuse to utter the words that would prevent Junior from spending his last, glorious, farewell-filled tour as a Cincinnati Red.

He'll play until 2009 and then retire and will go into Cooperstown as a Cincinnati Red.

Farney
08-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Does Junior really have a chance of going into Cooperstown as a Red? I had never even considered that he wouldnt go as a Mariner.

Billy_Bearcat
08-13-2006, 10:43 PM
He accomplished Hall of Fame status with the Mariners...I think that's how he should go in. I'm a Jr. fan, but he hasn't done much in a Red's uni that is HOF worthy besides continuing his HR climb.

MasonBuzz3
08-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Does Junior really have a chance of going into Cooperstown as a Red? I had never even considered that he wouldnt go as a Mariner.
if he plays until 2009 with the Reds it would be 10 years with the Reds and 10 with the Mariners. Obviously his numbers would be better in the first ten years of his career, but a world series title in a Reds uniform could sway the decision over which hat to wear in Cooperstown. :thumbup:

ThornWithin81
08-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Considering his father's place in Cincy history, along with his desire to play in Cincinnati, there's no question in my mind that he'll go in as a Red, despite all of the success in Seattle.

OldXOhio
08-13-2006, 11:08 PM
His greatest accomplishments, his greatest play, his player of the decade, his All-Century team nomination, all in Seattle.

He'll go in a Mariner.

MaineRed
08-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I believe what cap a player dons in the HOF is overrated. The placques are a brownish bronze and the caps are not easy to distinquish. Its not as if you'll look at Junior and see a bright red hat if he goes in a Red. Nor will you see a blue Mariner cap.

The interesting one will be Roger Clemens, among others. A case could be made that he should go into the HOF as a hatless player.

Cy Youngs with four different teams (or is it 3?)
20 K games with two different teams.
Longest tenure with Red Sox.
World Series Champ as a Yank
Back to back Cy Youngs as a Blue Jay IIRC.

The hat concept at the HOF was adopted when guys played for one team. At least in most cases. In today's age their will be heated discussions about SO many players. If McGwire goes in, is it as an A, where he was a Bash Brother or a Card where he broke the HR record? Probably an A but still a discussion can be made for him as a Card. There are a lot of players like that.

MaineRed
08-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Considering his father's place in Cincy history, along with his desire to play in Cincinnati, there's no question in my mind that he'll go in as a Red, despite all of the success in Seattle.

You may already know this, but the HOF chooses what caps the players wear, not the player himself.

Griffey might choose the Reds when all is said in done. Logic says the HOF would say the Mariners.

WMR
08-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I think Junior will consider the relative worth of his cap-choice between the communities of Cincinnati and the communities of Seattle and factor that into what means more, the next enshrinement in the great line of Cincinnati Reds all-time great and beloved players or as a Seattle Mariner.

Junior's roots are Cincinnati. He was just a ballplayer to most Seattle fans.

WMR
08-13-2006, 11:23 PM
You may already know this, but the HOF chooses what caps the players wear, not the player himself.

Griffey might choose the Reds when all is said in done. Logic says the HOF would say the Mariners.

MaineRed:

Players are given WIDE berth in discussing with the Veteran's Committee what hat they will wear. No one wants a HOF'er forced to wear a particular hat if his heart is elsewhere and he has significant accomplishments with that other team.

Plenty of Junior accomplishments, both in recovery from injury and historically excellent batting abilities alongside a plethora of career milestones...

Unassisted
08-13-2006, 11:59 PM
I thought Gary Carter wanted to go in as a Met, but was overruled and forced to go in as an Expo. (Good choice, in retrospect, since there may not be anymore Expo HOFers, unless Andre Dawson gets in.)

Chainer
08-14-2006, 12:11 AM
I thought Gary Carter wanted to go in as a Met, but was overruled and forced to go in as an Expo. (Good choice, in retrospect, since there may not be anymore Expo HOFers, unless Andre Dawson gets in.)

When Jose Vidro retires....which should be a long while....he will be. And, I would have to say that Vlad Guerrero would be as well.

KronoRed
08-14-2006, 12:24 AM
His greatest accomplishments, his greatest play, his player of the decade, his All-Century team nomination, all in Seattle.

He'll go in a Mariner.
Agreed, short of some mid 90 like seasons in the next few years he will go in as a Mariner and that is how it should be.

KronoRed
08-14-2006, 12:27 AM
He was just a ballplayer to most Seattle fans.
Whoa now I have to disagree with that, it's debatable if the mariners would even still be in Seattle if not for the accomplishments of Mr.Jr.

Brutus
08-14-2006, 01:13 AM
I've always taken the approach that a player should go in with the cap that got him to the Hall of Fame. Since Griffey's accomplishments with the Reds alone would not be sufficient to be a Hall of Famer, it would only be fitting that he goes in as a Mariner.

KySteveH
08-14-2006, 01:26 AM
When Jose Vidro retires....which should be a long while....he will be. And, I would have to say that Vlad Guerrero would be as well.
If Vidro were to do something HOF-worthy, (unlikely) it would have to be in several big seasons as a National, not an Expo.

Vlad played 6 seasons as an Expo...if he plays 8 more with someone else (either the Angels or another team) I would think he's go in with that team's cap.

Blue
08-14-2006, 01:27 AM

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but is Vidro really a future HOFer? I didn't think so, but his career OPS is better than Craig Biggio. However, Biggio has 4 Gold Gloves and 400 SBs, while Vidro has never won a Gold Glove, and has only 21 career SBs. If Vidro is an HOFer, then what about Jeff Kent?

I would think that Biggio is a first ballot HOFer, but Vidro and Kent are not. I had never really considered Vidro until reading that post. Am I alone in thinking that Vidro isn't all that close, or is Chainer alone in thinking that Vidro is a future HOFer? Or, is it debatable?

KYRed
08-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Maybe this deserves its own thread, but is Vidro really a future HOFer? I didn't think so, but his career OPS is better than Craig Biggio. However, Biggio has 4 Gold Gloves and 400 SBs, while Vidro has never won a Gold Glove, and has only 21 career SBs. If Vidro is an HOFer, then what about Jeff Kent?

I would think that Biggio is a first ballot HOFer, but Vidro and Kent are not. I had never really considered Vidro until reading that post. Am I alone in thinking that Vidro isn't all that close, or is Chainer alone in thinking that Vidro is a future HOFer? Or, is it debatable?

I agree with you. I don't think he gets in at this point. He had a really good half decade, but there's been a clear decline since '04. I think longevity is a killer for him right now.

Chainer
08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't think Vidro is a first ballot HOF'er....but I do think he will get in, eventually.

If you look at some of the players in the HOF, and their numbers, there's absolutey no reason why Vidro wouldn't make it.

EddieMilner
08-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Would Griffey make it into the hall with just his accomplishments in a Reds uniform? No possible way. He will go in as a Mariner. Unless the Reds win the WS next year and he hits 85 HRs, then a case may be made for a Reds hat on the plaque.

macro
08-14-2006, 01:12 PM
The HOF is going to have a heck of a time deciding which cap to put on Mike Morgan (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/morgami01.shtml).

:laugh:

REDREAD
08-14-2006, 03:18 PM
I really thought it was silly that the HOF decided to give themselves the power to overrule the player's pick of which hat he can wear.

I know that rule was made because Boggs sold himself to Tampa. IMO, Boggs' punishment is that he will be remembered for making a fool out of himself for a few bucks. No need to make a rule when 99% of all players make a reasonable choice on their own.