PDA

View Full Version : From Your Alma Mater to the Big Leagues

RichRed
08-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Since it's an off day, I thought this might be kind of fun (maybe this belongs off-topic; if so, I apologize). Who is the best major leaguer to come from the same high school or college you attended?

For me, as a proud alum of James Madison University, it's Billy "Random" Sample, a decent OF who spent most of his career with the Rangers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/samplbi01.shtml

Others from JMU include Rich Croushore and Mike Venafro, who was a member of the Louisville Bats this year.

How about you?

justincredible
08-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Marietta College

Kent Tekulve
Terry Mullholland
Jim Tracy

Reds-aholic
08-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Well, there are 3, u tell me who u think is the best:

Rick White :laugh:
Dave Burba
Dustin Hermanson

Now thats a trio of pitchers no one can touch! :laugh:

TOBTTReds
08-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Sycamore Aviators produced the "Greek God of Walks" (even though he is Jewish), Kevin Youkilis.

Anyone know someone from the U of Dayton? I know there is a solid hitter in the Phils org. right now from UD.

Flyer85, any help?

There was this hated school down the street from mine that had a few good players come from it. Some guy named Barry, and another one named Ken. They say those are their two best. I can't remember their full names though.

Puffy
08-14-2006, 04:08 PM
LeMoyne Dolphins:

Tom Browning
Jim DeShasis

RedsManRick
08-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Let's see... given that we no longer have an NCAA squad, this list is somewhat aged. Perhaps there are a few notables... perhaps not from my alum, UW-Madison.

Harvye Kuenn
Addie Joss (played 1902-1910: 160-97, 1.89 ERA)
Lance Painter
Jim O'Toole
Paul Quantrill

Spitball
08-14-2006, 04:10 PM
My high school in Massachusetts produced Steve Bedrosian. I played with his older brother.

I did my grad work at University of Central Arkansas which produced former Red Sox pitcher Wes Gardner from the 80's and early '90's. Also, Scottie Pippen and a handful of NFL'ers.

westofyou
08-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Sycamore Aviators

Booooooo............

When I was in HS we had a wicked rivelry in soccer with Sycamore.... good times, good times.

I went to UC Santa Cruz, we didn't have sports teams.

Joseph
08-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Murray State University

Kirk Reuter

I felt like there was someone else, but can't recall off the top of my head.

RichRed
08-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Oops, forgot about Jason Dubois, who graduated from my high school, Frank W. Cox HS in Va. Beach, VA.

RichRed
08-14-2006, 04:14 PM
I went to UC Santa Cruz, we didn't have sports teams.

Pre-Banana Slugs days, I assume?

Danny Serafini
08-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Former infielder Scott Fletcher looks to be the best of the 9 Toledo Rockets to have played in the Majors. One Red also came from UT, Chuck Harmon.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Dublin (Coffman): Kent Mercker (I was JV as a Fr. his Sr. year), Doug Devore

Ohio State: Galen Cisco, Steve Arlin, Barry Bonnell, Dave Burba, Scott Klingenbeck (partied with in college), Nick Swisher, Scott Lewis, Mike Durant (played against many times in HS - once hit a HR off me in legion just above the bat handle).

My HS also produced Vince Workman and Brady Quinn in football and Chris Quinn in hoops.

LawFive
08-14-2006, 04:24 PM
A few years before my time there, Glen Este HS produced Jayhawk Owens, who caught for a few years in Colorado. He's now the AA manager.

Newman4
08-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Ohio University....um, Mike Schmidt. (undergrad)

Morehead State...Jon Rauch. (graduate)

dabvu2498
08-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Undergrad: Joey Cora
Matt Kata
Scotti Madison
Josh Paul
Scott Sanderson
Jeremy Sowers
Mike Willis
Plus about 10 others from the 10s to the 40s. And 8-10 more that are "on their way."

Graduate: Chris Hook and Scott Wiggins

High school: none

Jim
08-14-2006, 04:28 PM
La Salle HS (Cincy):

Tim Naehring

dabvu2498
08-14-2006, 04:32 PM

Dave Burba
Dustin Hermanson

Go Cougars!

RichRed
08-14-2006, 04:35 PM
The others who've made it from JMU (an inauspicious list but not so bad considering we've had a team for less than 40 years):

P Dana Allison
C Mike Hubbard
P Larry Mitchell
P Brian McNichol
P Scott Forster
P Travis Harper
OF Rich Thompson
P Dan Meyer

Meyer is the guy the A's thought to be the prize in the Tim Hudson trade. Fell on hard times after some arm problems though.

RedFanAlways1966
08-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Ohio University....um, Mike Schmidt. (undergrad)

Also catchers Steve Swisher & Bob Brenly. :)

RedFanAlways1966
08-14-2006, 04:45 PM
My grandfather managed some big leaguers while they were at Fairview HS in Dayton, OH... Mike Schmidt, pitcher Fred Scherman, pitcher Ron Nischwitz (OSU alum) & pitcher Mark Dempsey (OSU alum).

Red Leader
08-14-2006, 04:49 PM

Dave Burba
Dustin Hermanson

Kenton Ridge HS grad?

terminator
08-14-2006, 04:50 PM
High School:
Bill Wegman
Pete Rose Jr.
Scott Klingenbeck

College:
Jim Bunning
(and a few others I'd never heard of)

Grad School:
Sandy Koufax
(and a lot of others, including the infamous Skeeter Barnes)

KalDanielsfan
08-14-2006, 04:51 PM
im not for sure but at Miami U we had Tim Naehring (red sox 3b post wade boggs), Charlie Liebrandt, and Bill Doran

vaticanplum
08-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I went to an all-girls high school and a Division III college.

I lose. Big time.

Always Red
08-14-2006, 04:54 PM
St.X HS- Jim Bunning, Chris Welch

Rex Argos
08-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Here's a good combo of past and current players:

Zane Smith
Clint Barmes
Wallace Johnson
Brian Dorsett
Alex Graman

Go Trees!

BCubb2003
08-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Also catchers Steve Swisher & Bob Brenly. :)

and Dan O'Brien

Ltlabner
08-14-2006, 05:02 PM
I attended Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.

We had a pitcher make it to the A's I think. Brian Anderson (I think.....lots of memories from that time are fuzzy...from all the learning). He pitched for a while, but he may be selling used cars now for all I know.

Stamford
08-14-2006, 05:03 PM
William & Mary...

How bout Reds Bill Bray and Brendan Harris.

Non-Reds -- Curtis Pride (almost 100% deaf; great story; was close friends with my roommates...even played catch with him a couple of times).

Red Leader
08-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Centerville High School: no major league players, but there was a kid in the Marlins system that played 2B. He might have gotten flushed with the insurgence of talent to Florida this last offseason. Can't remember his name.

College: Kent State University:
Dustin Hermanson
Matt Guerrier (Twins)
Paul Hoover (Rays)
John VanBenschoten (Pirates)
Emmanuel Burris (Giants-not signed)

RichRed
08-14-2006, 05:22 PM
William & Mary...

How bout Reds Bill Bray and Brendan Harris.

Non-Reds -- Curtis Pride (almost 100% deaf; great story; was close friends with my roommates...even played catch with him a couple of times).

Pride also played basketball for W&M; I remember watching him play against JMU. Great athlete and a fantastic story.

FoReel
08-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Hamilton High school: Joe Nuxhall
Mark Lewis
Arron Cook

creek14
08-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Beaverceek High School - no one

Olivet Nazarene University - Mike Overy - played in 5 games for the Angels back in the mid 70s.

Sad.

MaineRed
08-14-2006, 05:30 PM
University of Maine:

Mark Sweeney
Billy Swift
Mike Bordick

John Henry Williams, Ted Williams son who had him frozen is also Maine grad.

I hear he loved science class.

Stamford
08-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Pride also played basketball for W&M; I remember watching him play against JMU. Great athlete and a fantastic story.

I remember those days of watching Curtis play point guard for the Tribe. Fast as heck but a pretty poor shooter. He was also an unreal soccer player (or at least I am told) -- in fact my roommates (who were very close with him) said he was on some Junior Olympic team of some sort and that soccer was probably his best sport ... not sure why he gave it up if so.

On a separate note, I happened to be watching an Expos game several years ago (I don't know why). Curtis was a rookie and had just been called up. He pinch hit late in the game and hit a double for his first ML hit. I have to admit I got chills. First, it was unbelievably cool to see a guy I played catch with in college (and partied with on at least one occasion) get his first ML hit. However, an even bigger thrill was to hear the ovation (yes, all 1000 Expo fans in attendance must have been clapping at the same time) he got. I read the story in the paper the next day and Curtis was asked about the hit and he said that while he obviously couldn't hear the applause, he could "feel" the vibrations (I guess your other senses really DO get amplified when you are deaf).

His career since then has been pretty up and down. I was watching the Yanks/Angels game the other day and he hit a double for the Angels. Pretty cool. Real nice guy. Not a great career by any means...but pretty cool to have a ML career at all I guess.

OesterPoster
08-14-2006, 05:32 PM
I attended Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.

We had a pitcher make it to the A's I think. Brian Anderson (I think.....lots of memories from that time are fuzzy...from all the learning). He pitched for a while, but he may be selling used cars now for all I know.

I had some summer classes with him when he returned for a few credit hours. I'm not sure when or if he ended up graduating, but I remember him cruising around Colonel Glenn Highway in his gray Dodge Stealth with Ohio vanity plates which said "HALOS".

We've had a few make it into the minors, such as Jon Sbrocco and Mike Mathile (I think he was WSU), and currently Joe Smith (I think that's his name), a sidewinder who's rocketing up the minors after getting drafted earlier this year.

UD has a kid pitching for the Nationals High-A team right now, Craig Stammen.

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Moeller High School

Best Ken Griffey Jr.

Others

Barry Larkin
Buddy Bell*
Mike Bell
David Bell
Bill Long
Adam Hyzdu
Len Matuscek
Stephen Larkin

* Interesting note on Buddy Bell. Moeller, of course, is a notorious football school and yet their first professional athlete was a baseball player, Bell.

Another interesting note: They've all been coached by the same coach and still current coach, Mike Cameron, one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet.

TC, did I leave anyone out?

paintmered
08-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Some guy named Sandy Koufax.

Never heard of him. :D

My high school hasn't produced a major leaguer to the best of my knowledge.

Hoosier Red
08-14-2006, 05:38 PM
never mind Metz beat me to the punch

Indiana University(much less impressive set of names)
Doug Devore
Micky Morandini
Kevin Orie

Falls City Beer
08-14-2006, 05:46 PM
University of Louisville--some stiff named Sean Green (pitches for the Mariners) :confused:

Washington University-- Come on, it's a Division III

University of Chicago--Yep, same thing.

ochre
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Not much from any of my schools, but we did produce this guy from Bull Durham:
http://suncircle.org/jeffgreene.jpg

He was a few years older than me, but I played with his brother.

sig
08-14-2006, 05:48 PM
I played elementary 7 & 8th grade basketball when Don Mattingly played 6th grade basketball. We were in the same High school feeder system in Evansville, INdiana that produced Bob Griese of the Dolphins.

Before we made it to HS, the school was closed. D. Mattingly went to a different catholic high school. i went to a public high school that later produced the Benes (andy, alan and i forget the 3rd) brothers.

Rex Argos
08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Bring me the gas! Quick bat! Quick bat!

Team Clark
08-14-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure if this list can be topped:

Archbishop Moeller High School

All Century Player, MVP, Gold Glove OF Ken Griffey JR.

MVP, Gold Glove and perennial All Star Barry Larkin

Gold Glove, All Star and Major League Manager Buddy Bell

3rd Generation Baseball Players David Bell and Mike Bell.

1st Round Draft Pick and Major Leaguer Adam Hyzdu.

Former Cubs and White Sox pitcher Billy Long.

Former Dodger and Philly Len Matuszek.

I almost forgot Steve Larkin (Barry's younger brother) 1 Game with the Reds.

27 Players drafted into Pro-Baseball since 1969. Several others have signed independently.

Keystone12
08-14-2006, 05:55 PM
This is a great thread. I went to HS at Summit CD (I don't think we have a major leaguer to my name. I suppose my university is technically a "football school" ;) but we've got a pretty decent baseball program too.

Off the top of my head:

Carl Yastrzemski
Craig Counsell
Aaron Heilman
Brad Lidge

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/college/university_of_notre_dame_baseball_players.shtml

That link claims even players like Cap Anson, Louis Sockalexis, aaannddd...

CHRIS MICHALAK!

Thank you very much, Reds fans, courtesy of your Notre Dame Fighting Irish!

Team Clark
08-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Moeller High School

Best Ken Griffey Jr.

Others

Barry Larkin
Buddy Bell*
Mike Bell
David Bell
Bill Long
Adam Hyzdu
Len Matuscek
Stephen Larkin

* Interesting note on Buddy Bell. Moeller, of course, is a notorious football school and yet their first professional athlete was a baseball player, Bell.

Another interesting note: They've all been coached by the same coach and still current coach, Mike Cameron, one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet.

TC, did I leave anyone out?

SHOOT!! I didn't see your thread. I know we are leaving someone out. I have asked repeatedly to be added to the pro players list on the web site but since I didn't get "drafted" I'm an outcast. :laugh:

Speaking of Mike Cameron. I do a lot of Radio shows and the Moeller History comes up a lot. I always refer to Cams as "Legendary Coach Mike Cameron". ALWAYS!

I had the great fortune to go back and coach with him. He's pretty darn humble. We went to the ABCA coaches convention in Nashville together and I swear on a stack of Bibles that at least 1,000 people came up to meet him. I felt more like his bodyguard than an Asst. Coach.

butlerbulldogs
08-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Butler University

current setup man for Twins: Pat Neshek
best all-time: former long time closer Doug Jones

vaticanplum
08-14-2006, 05:58 PM
This is a great thread. I went to HS at Summit CD (I don't think we have a major leaguer to my name.

Baby Bench goes there I think. Maybe he will be a major leaguer.

Although I vaguely remember that he's more into hockey. I have no idea how I know this, I must have read an article or something. Can't remember the kid's name.

Spitball
08-14-2006, 06:03 PM
University of Maine:

Mark Sweeney
Billy Swift
Mike Bordick

John Henry Williams, Ted Williams son who had him frozen is also Maine grad.

I hear he loved science class.

Most of my Grateful Deadhead friends went to U. of M. in Orono. I remember Freak Week and a neat bar called the Oronoco.

Anyway, University of Maine also produced pitcher/pitching coach John Cumberland as well as pitchers Jeff Plympton, Bert "Big Foot" Roberge, Joe Johnson, and Fred Howard (and a brother who almost made the bigs).

I remember Joe Garagiola commenting on South Portland product and former Red Sox pitcher Bob Stanley being from Maine where he said, "It's so cold there, the baseball season is from Tuesday through Thursday."

I miss Maine. I got my first job after college at a publishing company in Portland's Old Port.

Dunner44
08-14-2006, 06:04 PM
I suppose my university is technically a "football school" but we've got a pretty decent baseball program too.

Off the top of my head:

Carl Yastrzemski
Craig Counsell
Aaron Heilman
Brad Lidge

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/coll..._players.shtml

That link claims even players like Cap Anson, Louis Sockalexis, aaannddd...

CHRIS MICHALAK!

Thank you very much, Reds fans, courtesy of your Notre Dame Fighting Irish!

Yeah all you reds fans, bow to the Irish. I didn't know Michalak was a domer, but I saw Brad Lidge at the baseball spring banquet two years ago. Samardzija is pitching for the Cubs A team in Peoria right now.

I couldn't tell you if any Wyoming HS grads are playing professionally right now. I could tell you, however, that Wyoming Football produced Ahmed Plummer (recently retired - injuries) and P.J. Pope who is drawing rave reviews as a college free agent in Chicago.

GIK
08-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Washington State:

Scott Hatteberg :)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hattesc01.shtml
John Olerud
http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/olerujo01.shtml
Ron Cey
http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/ceyro01.shtml
Ed Bouchee
http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bouched01.shtml

Aaron Sele
http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/seleaa01.shtml
Gene Conley
http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/conlege01.shtml
Cliff Chambers
http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/chambcl01.shtml
Mark Hendrickson
http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hendrma01.shtml

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Geez, I think I am going to be forced to do some checking on this. Certainly no one from my era. Although I have had some NFL guys from Springfield North.

Jabbar Threats played DE at Mich. State and then played DE for Jacksonville Jaguars for a few years.

Mike Davis (who was the MAN my freshman year, he was a SR.) played shortly for the Houston Oilers and Cleveland Browns as a reserve safety/st.

Ty Myers played QB for us and then went on to Illinois as a LB and then I believe signed on with S.D. Chargers last year or the year before. LB/ST

I believe there is 1 pitcher from North who is currently in somebodys minor league system but I cannot recall who he is.

Oh yeah duh, Jimmy Journell! Also the above player is Nick Wagner a pitcher in the Devil Rays organization at Low A per the baseball cube. 2004 draft 28th Rd. Does he even have a chance TC?

Cyclone792
08-14-2006, 06:23 PM
The University of Cincinnati has Hall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax and Hall of Fame manager Miller Huggins as part of their alumni. Current players include Kevin Youkilis of the Boston Red Sox.

Additionally, we've had about 15 other guys that saw a very small amount of service in the bigs.

Edd Roush
08-14-2006, 06:25 PM
I happen to be another one of those Moeller graduates and I am actually one of the most recent alumni, having just graduated in '06. However, that adds nothing to this thread, my claim fame is, that I was last years editor in chief of Moeller's newspaper, the Crusader

Last year, we did a "Where Are They Now?" feature on Moeller alumni. Because our administration didn't want our school viewed as solely a "jock" school, we only featured one athelete. I was fortunate enough to interview David Bell. It was a phone interview and he just seemed to be one of the nicest guys I have ever talked to. We talked baseball and it was probably one of the coolest experiences I have ever had. I now feel sort of connected to David Bell and will forever more be a David Bell fan.

medford
08-14-2006, 06:28 PM
High school: Jeff Rebelut (sp?) Infielder for various teams (Orioles? Dodgers? & Indians???) in the mid to late 90s.

creek14
08-14-2006, 06:30 PM

Although I vaguely remember that he's more into hockey. I have no idea how I know this, I must have read an article or something. Can't remember the kid's name.
Bobby, named after Johnny's dad. Born in 1989. And I have no idea why I know that.

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2006, 06:31 PM
For everyone this might help!

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/high-schools/Ohio.shtml

It has every Ohio high school and their Alumni.

Edd Roush
08-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Speaking of Mike Cameron. I do a lot of Radio shows and the Moeller History comes up a lot. I always refer to Cams as "Legendary Coach Mike Cameron". ALWAYS!

Coach Cams is one of the greatest coaches Ohio High School Baseball has ever seen. Four state championships in a perenially strong baseball state and has coached some of the greats including Griffey and Larkin. I was only so lucky to play under him a couple years ago, although I must say, I didn't have much of an illustrious career.

And oh by the way, another player who soon will be added to the list is Andrew Brackman. A lanky right hander from NC State who hits 98 on the radar gun. He didn't get much recognition last year because of injuries but this summer he left his domination of the Cape Cod League to play for one of the US national teams. Watch out for Brack, I sort of know him as he is my best friend's cousin. He will be big some time soon.

Team Clark
08-14-2006, 06:38 PM

I looked at the site. Looks like they are missing 5 players from Moeller.

It also has Crable listed as going to UC. He was an All American at Notre Dame.

Mario-Rijo
08-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by ME
Also the above player is Nick Wagner a pitcher in the Devil Rays organization at Low A per the baseball cube. 2004 draft 28th Rd. Does he even have a chance TC?

TC you know much about Wagner, does he have a shot?

marcshoe
08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Lipscomb University has produced one major leaguer, Bo McLaughlin, who I remember seeing pitch for the Astros' AAA team in Charleston. There was a guy I knew when I went there (I don't remember his name) who pitched in the Mets' system, but he blew out his arm fairly early.

Next week, though, I begin classes at Marshall Graduate School, so if that counts, you can add Rick Reed and Jeff Montgomery to the list.

Team Clark
08-14-2006, 07:03 PM
TC you know much about Wagner, does he have a shot?

No I do not. I also do not see him on our rosters. Maybe he's hurt.

westofyou
08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Pre-Banana Slugs days, I assume?
Nope, Slugs since the 70's

westofyou
08-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Some guy named Sandy Koufax.

Never heard of him. :D

My high school hasn't produced a major leaguer to the best of my knowledge.Here's another.

Ethan Allen went to Withrow (when it was East High) and UC, he signed with the Reds and never played in the Minors.

westofyou
08-14-2006, 08:12 PM
This is a great thread. I went to HS at Summit CD (I don't think we have a major leaguer to my name.In Basketball you did have Dexter Baily who played for X and was drafted by the Nuggets (IIRC) one of my best buddies in HS was on that team, they were the best Single A team in the Tri State area then.

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 08:24 PM

Bench's older son goes to St. X - he's not on the baseball team (or wasn't last year).

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 08:29 PM
I happen to be another one of those Moeller graduates and I am actually one of the most recent alumni, having just graduated in '06. However, that adds nothing to this thread, my claim fame is, that I was last years editor in chief of Moeller's newspaper, the Crusader

Last year, we did a "Where Are They Now?" feature on Moeller alumni. Because our administration didn't want our school viewed as solely a "jock" school, we only featured one athelete. I was fortunate enough to interview David Bell. It was a phone interview and he just seemed to be one of the nicest guys I have ever talked to. We talked baseball and it was probably one of the coolest experiences I have ever had. I now feel sort of connected to David Bell and will forever more be a David Bell fan.

Edd Roush, in 1971-72, I was permitted to take the Journalism class with the intention of me being its editor senior year. Alas, I found a loophole for getting out of high school early and became the first guy in Moeller's history (and possibly the archdiocese) to finish high school a year early, although I walked with and am considered the class of '73. I was one of the editors of the Squire Magazine from freshman through junior year where I had the honor of working with one of the greatest teachers ever, Mr. John Masserela. I was just thinking about the newspaper because I wrote an article about the Moody Blues/Van Morrison concert, the concert I mentioned in the thread about one's first concert.

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 08:31 PM
I looked at the site. Looks like they are missing 5 players from Moeller.

It also has Crable listed as going to UC. He was an All American at Notre Dame.

And I think he was Moeller's first professional football player. Class of '74 if I remember correctly.

SunDeck
08-14-2006, 08:38 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wegmabi01.shtml

RedFanAlways1966
08-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Dustin Hermanson
Matt Guerrier (Twins)
Paul Hoover (Rays)

How about pitcher Travis Miller, RL? :)

Yachtzee
08-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Dustin Hermanson
Matt Guerrier (Twins)
Paul Hoover (Rays)

Don't forget about...
Thurman Munson
Gene Michael
Steve Stone
Bob Nieman
Rich Rollins
Jeff Tabaka

TC81190
08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Can you find players from HS?

captainmorgan07
08-14-2006, 09:05 PM
my high school produced joe and phil neikro

JTMONEY
08-14-2006, 09:06 PM
high school: Kevin Brown (the catcher played for the Brewers, Rangers, Cardinals, and Red Sox) and present coach for the baseball team, Paul Quinzer(played for the Padres) Ryan Spilman son of Harry Spilman, Matt Huff just got drafted by the Padres

WVRed
08-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Can't really claim either one, home-schooled in HS, and attending community college right now:).

But here are some local products.

Ashland Paul Blazer-Brandon Webb(SP-Arizona Diamondbacks)
Parkersburg High-Nick Swisher(OF-Oakland Athletics)
McKell(now Greenup County High)-Don Gullet(SP-Cincinnati Reds) My dad played against him in football.
Ohio Valley University-Dustin Nippert(SP-Arizona Diamondbacks)

PHS also had some players who played with Swisher who went on to play in the minors. Also, Steve Swisher attended Parkersburg South. Justincredible listed players who played for Marietta College.

paintmered
08-14-2006, 09:18 PM
My high school produced Toe Nash.

RicFlair
08-14-2006, 09:28 PM
High School (Paul G. Blazer High School)

Brandon Webb

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 09:42 PM
My high school produced Toe Nash.

No it didn't! Toe was from Louisiana and you're not! :laugh:

joshnky
08-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Oldham County High School:
Jon Rauch (the man everyone around here seems to want)

University of Louisville:
Nobody beyond the minors.

pahster
08-14-2006, 10:02 PM
University of Missouri - Ian Kinsler is the only one I can think of.

remdog
08-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Parma High School:
Rich Rollins

Bowling Green State University:
Oral Hershiser
Doug Bair
Roger McDowell
John Knox
Kip Young
Brian Koelling

Rem

Red White
08-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Saint Henry High School (Erlanger, KY): Larry Luebbers

University of Kentucky: Brandon Webb, Jim Leyritz, Joe Blanton, Doug Flynn, Cotton Nash (among others)

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 10:40 PM
University of Missouri - Ian Kinsler is the only one I can think of.

According to baseball almanac, Phil Bradley went there as did a former Cincinnati Red - Art Shamsky!

Big Klu
08-14-2006, 10:41 PM
my high school produced joe and phil neikro

And neither of them are the greatest athlete your school ever produced! ;)

RollyInRaleigh
08-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Marshall University

Jeff Montgomery and Rick Reed.

Ravenlord
08-14-2006, 10:53 PM
no one.

however, my high school did produce Quin Pitcock (freak of nature) who looks like a good bet to go in the first two or three rounds of the NFL draft after this season.

redsmetz
08-14-2006, 11:03 PM
And neither of them are the greatest athlete your school ever produced! ;)

That's amazing that such a small school developed two Hall of Famers in two different sports!

Falls City Beer
08-14-2006, 11:10 PM
That's amazing that such a small school developed two Hall of Famers in two different sports!

And right up the river a couple of miles in Havlicek's birthplace of Martin's Ferry, one of the greatest American poets James Wright grew up.

Musta been all those chemicals in the Ohio River.

Big Klu
08-14-2006, 11:14 PM
To my knowledge, my alma mater (Philo High School) has never produced a professional athlete.

My adopted high school, Cambridge High School (I work there), has produced one big-league baseball player, Duke Kenworthy, who was a 2B from 1912 to 1917 for the Senators and Browns, and also for the Kansas City Packers of the Federal League. The only other professional athlete Cambridge has produced is Doug Donley, who was an All-American WR at Ohio State and played four years at WR for the Dallas Cowboys.

My college alma mater, Ohio University, has produced the following major-leaguers:

Phillies Hall-Of-Fame 3B Mike Schmidt
Giants C Bob Brenly
Cubs & Reds OF Frank Baumholtz
Cubs C Steve Swisher
Phillies 2B/SS Terry Harmon
Angels, Brewers, & Blue Jays P Tom Murphy
White Sox & Athletics INF/OF Rich McKinney
Twins & Royals OF Joe Nossek
Tigers & Rangers P Dave Tobik
Pirates P John Morlen

BuckWoody
08-14-2006, 11:19 PM
College, I got nothin'. Ed Olwine (http://www.baseball-reference.com/o/olwined01.shtml) went to my high school and that's about all I got there.

BuckWoody
08-14-2006, 11:24 PM
The only other professional athlete Cambridge has produced is Doug Donley, who was an All-American WR at Ohio State and played four years at WR for the Dallas Cowboys.
While he was at Ohio State, our 8th grade music teacher was Art Schlichter's sister. She brought me Art and Doug's autograph on a game program once...very cool.

Caveat Emperor
08-14-2006, 11:25 PM
My high school alma mater has produced better football talent (former NFL O-lineman Roman Oben, current Denver Broncon Curome Cox) than baseball talent.

As for my college alma mater -- Tulane University of Louisiana -- well, we're clearly a better college program than a major-league talent producer.

Gerland Alexander
Jack Cressend
Jim Gaudet
Tony Giarratano
Gene Harris
Steve Mura
Mike Romano
Frank Wilis

A forgettable set of names if I've ever heard one. However, Micha Owings is in the Arizona farm system at AAA, and he should be making his big league debut shortly.

Tulane seems to be more famous, lately, for first round washouts like Michael Aubrey and Jake Gautreau (both of whom were college phenoms that, to this point, have been unable to put it together professionally). I'm hoping that Mark Hamilton, drafted this year, will shake that dubious distinction.

Big Klu
08-14-2006, 11:32 PM

For those of you who don't know, Celtics Hall-Of-Famer John Havlicek was a high-school teammate of the Niekro's at Bridgeport. I believe he was younger than Phil, but older than Joe, and therefore played high-school ball with both of them. Woody Hayes once said that, at the time, the Buckeyes had the best QB in the Big Ten, but he was playing for Fred Taylor! Paul Brown drafted Hondo in the seventh round of the NFL draft as a WR for the Browns, but Havlicek refused, politely informing Mr. Brown that Red Auerbach had drafted him in the first round of the NBA draft. Coach Brown told Hondo that he should go play basketball, but if he ever changed his mind, there would be a roster spot waiting for him in Cleveland.

And right up the river a couple of miles in Havlicek's birthplace of Martin's Ferry, one of the greatest American poets James Wright grew up.

Martins Ferry is also the home of Browns Hall-Of-Fame OT/K Lou "The Toe" Groza, and Lou's brother Alex Groza was a three-time All-American basketball player for the Kentucky Wildcats under Adolph Rupp.

Also, right down the river a couple of miles from Bridgeport is Bellaire, which is the hometown of Buccaneers WR Joey Galloway, former Browns LB Ben Taylor, and former Jets LB Lance Mehl.

KySteveH
08-14-2006, 11:38 PM
High School - Trinity HS

Trever Miller is the only player who has had a decent MLB career. Jeff Brohm is the best player to ever play there, but he played football instead.

Undergrad - Bellarmine College

Scott Wiegandt was a minor leaguer...and that's about it.

Spitball
08-14-2006, 11:38 PM
I don't know if this counts, but I attended junior high in Indian Hill with former Reds' great Eppa Rixey's grandson, Eppa Rixey III.

vaticanplum
08-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Tony Giarratano

Tony Giarratano is the younger brother of a friend of mine. He's in the Tigers' farm system (presumably at AAA, though I'm not sure) and has played in the bigs, he came up for maybe a dozen or so games last year. He's a shortstop, around 24 or 25 by now, and is being groomed to replace Guillen if all goes well. He's never been a good hitter, but is terrific defensively. In my totally unbiased opinion, the kid has the potential to be a superstar. He's a sweet kid, good-looking Italian kid from Jersey, intelligent and well-spoken and makes great plays in the infield. He idolizes Derek Jeter (so does his sister -- my friend -- though in a very different way :). And with the tigers contending as they are, hopefully for a few years, I hold out hope that Tony will evolve into Derek Jeter Lite.

edit: just looked him up. He turns 24 in November and is on the Tigers' 40-man roster. You can watch his first major-league homer here:
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=435218

Looks like he broke a 4-4 tie in doing it :)

forfreelin04
08-15-2006, 12:11 AM

Dave Burba
Dustin Hermanson

The dreaded Kenton Ridge haha. I happen to be a Northwestern Alum. You guys handled us more then we handled you but we never had a Hall of Fame coach. LUCKY! But hey it was easier to break records at my High school haha.

Keystone12
08-15-2006, 12:38 AM

I'm more of a lurker on this board, but the more I see posts that mention James Wright [or any poet, really], the more likely I am to start being an active poster.

:)

LINEDRIVER
08-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Bobby, named after Johnny's dad. Born in 1989. And I have no idea why I know that.

When Bobby Bench was born I think I read that he was named after entertainer Bob Hope. In the late 60's or so, Bench would tour military bases overseas in the off-season with Bob Hope and other entertainers and celebrities. Hope and Bench became good friends. Bench eventually bought a home in Hope's old stompin' grounds known as Palm Springs, California.

However, a few years ago I read or heard that Johnny said Bobby was named after Bob Hope and/or Bobby Knight. I'm not totally clear at this point, could of been he said Hope AND Knight. (Knight and Bench are hunting & fishing buddies)

I do know that Johnny's dad's name was Ted Bench.

realistic
08-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Oakland High School :
Ken Gerhart - Played for the Orioles in the 80's, power hitting right fielder

Players currently in the minors :Brennan King, Patrick Hicklen, Jeremy Slayden

MTSU : Dewon Brazelton, Jayhawk Owens, Chuck Taylor

Hometown hero : Jimmy Montgomery - the one time all time leading scorer in high school basketball history.

Red Rover
08-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Can't think of anyone from my HS, but I did play soccer against Jay Payton(very fast).

timmario66
08-15-2006, 12:08 PM
HS - Roger Bacon

Tommy Kramer once pitched a 1-hitter for the Indians against the Rangers. Freaking Julio Franco!!! Still get on him about that.

Also have the all-time leading receiver in the CFL - Milt Stegall

reds1869
08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
My sister casually dated Nick Swisher, I went to church with him growing up and my father played on the same team as Steve (his big league dad). Pitcher Rick Reed went to Marshall. That's about the best I can do, though Billy Crystal did attend Marshall briefly.

RichRed
08-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Ok, if we're going to throw football players into the mix (and since I started the thread, I reserve that right as well ;) ), I have to mention that James Madison U. has produced a trio of pretty notable guys:

WR Gary Clark - 699 career receptions and 2 Super Bowl rings with the Skins

DE Charles Haley - only player with 5 Super Bowl rings

K Scott "Wide Right" Norwood - solid kicker known for one BIG miss

Not bad for a school that started out as Division II in the 70s and is still playing at the I-AA level (2004 National Champs). :)

Chip R
08-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Steve Dreyer, Duane Josephson and Eddie Watt from the University of Northern Iowa.

MississippiRed
08-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Mississippi State University

Jeff Brantley (former Red)
Bobby Thigpen (one-time leader in saves per season w/ 57)
Will Clark (good career with several teams)
Rafael Palmeiro (over 500 home runs, 3000 hits, now tainted)
Buck Showalter (still holds Southeastern Conference season batting avg. record)
Del Unser (I'm pretty sure of this)
Jonathan Papelbon (could break Thigpen's record this year)
Paul Maholm (good stuff, wish he was a Red right now)
Adam Piatt (out of MLB now I think)
(I know there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.)

Moonlite Graham
08-15-2006, 02:41 PM
On a quick scan through the thread Im sure someone mentioned UK but may not have listed some of the alumni who are or once were major leaguers.

Let see if I can give this a try.....

Jeff Keener
Andy Green
Bill Vanlandingham
Scott Downs
Larry Luebbers
Jim Leyritz
Joe Blanton
Jeff Abbott
Brandon Webb
Derek Bryant
Doug Flynn
Marv Foley
Jeff Parrett
Paul Kilgus
Terry Shumpert

theres probably more but thats all I can think of

Red Leader
08-15-2006, 02:53 PM

Thanks a lot, Mario Rijo. The guy that was in the Florida system from Centerville High School appears to no longer be in the minors.

There is another. J.D. Kennard is a Centerville H.S. graduate. Numbers don't look too bad. But he's getting up there in age and hasn't advanced past AA. He's in the Yankees farm system.

Benihana
08-15-2006, 03:48 PM
HS:
Mike Hill, former Texas minor leaguer, Reds replacement player, and now GM candidate currently working for the Marlins

College:
Barry Larkin
Chris Sabo
Hal Morris (yes 2/3 of the 1990 infield)
Jim Abbott
JJ Putz (pitched on the same staff as my brother)
Drew Henson
I'm sure there are many others I just can't think of at the moment.

Don't even get me started on football ;)

15fan
08-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Barry Larkin
Chris Sabo
Hal Morris
(yes 2/3 of the 1990 infield)

So Hal McCoy learned his math at Michigan? ;)

ochre
08-15-2006, 04:11 PM
So Hal McCoy learned his math at Michigan? ;)No doubt. Morris was only like 1/6 of the infield that year.

RichRed
08-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Jerry Narron attended my brother's alma mater, East Carolina University. Every time ol' Jer makes a move I don't like, I just tell my brother it's because of that subpar education he got down there in Greenville, NC. ;)

CaiGuy
08-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Jacob cook of my old HS played for Sarasota.

On the NFL side, Matt Light from the New England Patriots. He still lives here(down the road).

marcshoe
08-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Billy Crystal did attend Marshall briefly.

On a baseball scholarship, no less, though the program disbanded before he could play a game.

OldRed1966
08-15-2006, 04:54 PM
High School (Paul G. Blazer High School)

Brandon Webb

I'm also a proud Paul G. Blazer grad, and I can't believe you forgot Drew Hall.

Number_Fourteen
08-15-2006, 06:20 PM
UC Berkeley (U of California at Berkeley) GO BEARS!!!

Jeff Kent
Andy Messersmith
Jackie Jensen
Xavier Nady
Lance Blankenship
Kevin Maas
Mike Epstein
Juan Eichelberger
Darren Lewis (only ex-Red?)
Bob Melvin
Steve Bartkowski (baseball All-American straight to the NFL!)

westofyou
08-15-2006, 06:27 PM
UC Berkeley (U of California at Berkeley) GO BEARS!!!

Jeff Kent
Andy Messersmith
Jackie Jensen
Xavier Nady
Lance Blankenship
Kevin Maas
Mike Epstein
Juan Eichelberger
Darren Lewis (only ex-Red?)
Bob Melvin
Steve Bartkowski (baseball All-American straight to the NFL!)

I used to work at Top Dog.

Number_Fourteen
08-15-2006, 07:16 PM
I used to work at Top Dog.

On Durant or by North Gate? I believe another location or two are in their chain presently. Those Hot Links & Ling-GWEE-sahs (Linguica?) were EXCELLENT! In fact, by way of Top Dog, Fat Slice, and Blondie's, I sure packed it on over the course of four years!

Possibly you were the guy who added the "Get your bike the hell outta the store!" memories to my Top Dog experience.;)

westofyou
08-15-2006, 07:27 PM
On Durant or by North Gate?

Both, worked there for 2 years and went to SFSU, quit and transfered to UCSC, and it was almost 20 years ago, so chances are no I didn't yell at you... but I did serve Whoopie Goldberg a dog and I yelled at plenty of guys.... good times.

Rojo
08-15-2006, 07:51 PM
My High School, Point Loma in San Diego, produced Don Larsen and David Wells. Until David Cone ruined it, we had a lock on Yankee perfect games.

My brother, who still lives in San Diego, saw Wells outside of a bar the other night, smoking a cigarette. My brother says, "hey, you went to my high school." Wells replies, "No, you went to my high school."

Number_Fourteen
08-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Both, worked there for 2 years and went to SFSU, quit and transfered to UCSC, and it was almost 20 years ago, so chances are no I didn't yell at you... but I did serve Whoopie Goldberg a dog and I yelled at plenty of guys.... good times.

I was at Cal 85-89, so it's possible we crossed paths every other Friday or Saturday night. Had I known the guy at the grill was such a Reds fanatic, I would have tipped with good beer. ;)

BTW, I also lived in NW Portland in '93, at NW 23rd & Irving -- nice place, hear it's really grown since. I really miss the great riding through Forest Park.

westofyou
08-15-2006, 07:58 PM
My High School, Point Loma in San Diego, produced Don Larsen and David Wells.Two of the most famous party pitchers in MLB history.

westofyou
08-15-2006, 08:02 PM
I was at Cal 85-89, so it's possible we crossed paths every other Friday or Saturday night. Had I known the guy at the grill was such a Reds fanatic, I would have tipped with good beer. ;)

BTW, I also lived in NW Portland in '93, at NW 23rd & Irving -- nice place, hear it's really grown since. I really miss the great riding through Forest Park.
You bet, we probably did... though I tried to eschew the Durant side on weekend nights, I was one of the regulars on the Northside, I lived on Channing and Shattuck and would walk there.

As for NW, yeah it's swank there now, I'm in Westmoreland, old railroad workers neighborhood... they'd freak to see the cross section of residents these days...

I do my riding at Powell Butte, going to Mt Hood later this week hopefully... have some friends from Marin vacationing there.

Always Red
08-15-2006, 08:54 PM
St.X HS- Jim Bunning, Chris Welch
How could I forget?? former Red, Chris Sexton, also from St. X HS

westofyou
08-15-2006, 08:55 PM
How could I forget?? former Red, Chris Sexton, also from St. X HS
Home of Coach Rasso...