PDA

View Full Version : Edwin E., your Player of the Week!

RichRed
08-14-2006, 04:09 PM
From Marc's blog:

Edwin Encarnacion has been named National League player of the week for Aug. 7-13.

Encarnacion hit .440 (11-25) with a double, four home runs and eight RBIs last week. His 24 total bases and .960 slugging percentage last week led the NL. He currently has a career-high 10-game hitting streak.

Encarnacion is the second Reds player to take P.O.W. honors this year. Brandon Phillips did it April 17-23.

flyer85
08-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Let's hope that error doesn't send him back to the bench. :D

Heath
08-14-2006, 04:12 PM
For his efforts, Rich Aurilia will be starting at 3rd Base and hitting 4th on Tuesday in St. Louis. :rolleyes:

(made you look! :D )

flyer85
08-14-2006, 04:14 PM
For his efforts, Rich Aurilia will be starting at 3rd Base and hitting 4th on Tuesday in St. Louis. :rolleyes:
Rich did hit a HR yesterday AND didn't make an ERROR.

Heath
08-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Rich did hit a HR yesterday AND didn't make an ERROR.

Did he have any fielding chances at short, or did pigeons roost on the bill of his hat?

:D

flyer85
08-14-2006, 04:17 PM
did pigeons roost on the bill of his hat? He didn't move fast enough to get them to leave. :help:

redssouth
08-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Jerry Narron: Congrats Eddie, your player of the week. There will be an awards presentation in the clubhouse in the bottom of the 3rd inning tomorrow night.
EE: Thanks, but wont I be playing 3rd base during the bottom of the 3rd...
Jerry: Dont worry Eddie, you should be able to make it.
EE: But I was player of the week... doesnt that count for anything..
Jerry: RICH!!!!

RedFanAlways1966
08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Is Player of the Week based solely on hitting stats?!?! :evil:

Just kidding!!! ;)

thatcoolguy_22
08-14-2006, 04:48 PM
well you aren't really given an error if you don't come anywhere near the ball...

Chainer
08-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Congrats Edwin! :thumbup:

BRM
08-14-2006, 04:54 PM
well you aren't really given an error if you don't come anywhere near the ball...

A simple fact that greatly benefits the likes of Clayton and Aurilia.

TOBTTReds
08-14-2006, 04:58 PM
He made some great plays in the field. Missed a couple, one of which was very costly. But without making some other plays in the field, we might not have been in that situation. He atleast dives for the ball, where as Rich lunges and doesn't get dirty.

RedFanAlways1966
08-14-2006, 05:01 PM
He made some great plays in the field. Missed a couple, one of which was very costly. But without making some other plays in the field, we might not have been in that situation. He atleast dives for the ball, where as Rich lunges and doesn't get dirty.

Absolutely. And this is what kills me... he makes some great plays and then will occasionally throw one away or boot one. Usually what ya get in a younger player. Once the glove-arm catch up to the bat, look out!

Great news for Edwin... and great news whenever any REDS player gets this award. :thumbup:

IrishDavidKY
08-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Congrats Edwin!! It's amazing what a guy can do with a little bit of playing time.

vic715
08-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I have to admit that I was somewhat supportive of AR at 3rd but only because of the defense factor. BUT not anymore ,this guys got it and he's going to be the next Tony Perez.I swear I wouldn't take Miguel Cabrera even up for this kid.I think he's gonna be better.

JTMONEY
08-14-2006, 07:44 PM
the lineup should be
Freel RF
Hatteberg 1B
Griffey CF
Encarnacion 3B
Dunn LF
Phillips 2B
Aurilia SS
Ross C
Harang P

Will be

Freel RF
Hatteberg 1B
Griffey CF
Encarnacion 3But the matchups
Dunn LF
Phillips 2B
Clayton SS
Valentine C....because Carpenter is pitching and Narron is all about the matchups
Harang P

TeamBoone
08-14-2006, 09:29 PM
08/14/2006

Encarnacion named NL's best of week
Third baseman helped Reds pull close to Cards in race
By Amanda Branam / MLB.com

While the Reds are at the top of the Wild Card heap in the National League as of Monday, they are setting their sights a little higher these days.
Reds third baseman Edwin Encarnacion was named the NL Player of the Week for Aug. 7-13 on Monday because of his part in bringing the Reds within striking distance of St. Louis in the NL Central. Cincinnati began last week with a 4 1/2-game deficit to the Cardinals, and that has been sliced to a thin 1 1/2-game lead after winning four of seven against St. Louis and Philadelphia.

In seven games between the Cardinals and the Phillies last week, Encarnacion had at least one hit in each of those games, extending his hitting streak to 10 games. In five of the seven games, the third baseman scored or brought in at least one run. He hit .440 for the week with a .533 on-base percentage.

Encarnacion brought in what at the time was the go-ahead run in the top of ninth against the Phillies on Aug. 12, his fifth RBI of the series and the eighth of the week.

"I loved the way we came out there in the ninth," Reds manager Jerry Narron said after the game, a 9-7 win for the Reds. "Encarnacion is tremendous. [He] went down and got it for a base hit. It just shows you how far Eddie has come this year."

Encarnacion led the National League last week with 24 total bases and a .960 slugging percentage, including four home runs.

It was a week of walk-offs and extra-inning games for the Reds, and despite his impressive numbers last week, Encarnacion was never the star of any of the games. However, his timely hits and home runs seemed to always put the team in a position to win the four games they won.

On Aug. 9, for example, the Reds were down, 5-0, to the Cardinals, and Encarnacion's solo homer in the fourth inning brought the Reds to within one run. The Reds then went on to rally and win the game, 8-7, thanks to a walk-off home run by David Ross.

While the postseason can sometimes be defined by the big moments, it tends to be a lot of small moments of doing the right things at the right time that can get a team there. Encarnacion did his part to bring the Reds one step closer to the postseason, be it through the Wild Card or unseating the Cardinals in the NL Central.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060814&content_id=1609738&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

jesusfan
08-14-2006, 09:34 PM
I would absolutely love the line-up to look like this tomorrow:

1.) Freel- RF
2.) Hatteberg-1B
3.) Griffey- CF (He'll step it up!)
4.) Encarnacion- 3B
5.) Dunn- LF
6.) Aurilia- SS
7.) Valentin- C
8.) Phillips- 2B
9.) Harang- P

Razor Shines
08-14-2006, 11:12 PM
That's simply not true. I have seen Rich make several diving plays this year. I have no desire to see Rich start over EE, but just because I like EE doesn't mean I have to rip RA.

A Reds' player plays his butt off and earns player of the week, and half the thread is spent ripping other people.