PDA

View Full Version : What current or former Dodger do you dislike the most?

bigdaddy
08-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Mine is Steve Gravey.

westofyou
08-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Tommy Freaking LaSorda

NJReds
08-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Ron Cey

Chip R
08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Davey Lopes

Red Leader
08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Tommy Freaking LaSorda

Amen.

I'm also not a big fan of Jeff Kent, Rafael Furcal, or J.D. Drew

I do like Russ Martin, though.

Rex Argos
08-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I'll say Bill Russell, just to complete the old infield.

Roy Tucker
08-16-2006, 12:34 PM
You could put the whole '77 and '78 Dodger teams in a bus and drive it over a cliff and I'd be happy. Put Garvey, Lopes, Cey, Dusty Baker, and Don Sutton in the front seats.

Later on, Derrel Thomas was a punk.

And I never liked Orel Hershiser stealing the Cy Young from Danny Jackson.

I think it could be safely said I have never really liked the Dodgers.

dabvu2498
08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Tommy Freaking LaSorda
:thumbup:

Crosley68
08-16-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm in the Ron Cey hate club as well.......he seemed to always get the big hit against us in the 70's.
As far as attitide, Sutton's arrogance still wears on me as much today as it always did. Baker the same.

puca
Myron White without a doubt

Red Leader
I hated Mike Scoscia as a player as well. I like him as a manager, though.

IowaRed
1-Steve Garvey
1A-Dusty Baker, Ron Cey, Davey Lopes
1B-all the rest of the Dodgers from the 70's or 80's

Razor Shines
08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
You could put the whole '77 and '78 Dodger teams in a bus and drive it over a cliff and I'd be happy. Put Garvey, Lopes, Cey, Dusty Baker, and Don Sutton in the front seats.

Stealing? Yeah, it's not like he did anything amazing to get the Cy Young that year.

Dusty Baker.

RichRed
08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Tommy Freaking LaSorda

Me freaking too.

Not a big fan of Dusty either.

flyer85
08-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Lasorda

dabvu2498
08-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Add Pedro Gurrero and Ken Landreaux to the mix as well.

George Anderson
08-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Bill Russell, I felt like he was very overrated!!

Blimpie
08-16-2006, 12:48 PM
I hated Mike Scoscia as a player as well. I like him as a manager, though.One of my favorite moments from the 1990 season was Norm Charlton de-cleating Mike at home plate.....while wearing his stylish Reds warmup jacket.

:cool:

RedFanAlways1966
08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Joe Ferguson (just to be different!)

Red Leader
08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
One of my favorite moments from the 1990 season was Norm Charlton de-cleating Mike at home plate.....while wearing his stylish Reds warmup jacket.

I was at that game. I was in high school and that was our first trip to Riverfront unaccompanied by parents. We found a way to purchase alcohol at the game. They showed us on ESPN after that play. Needless to say, we all got busted when we got home that night. Luckily, we were smart enough to have a designated driver, so our punishment wasn't too harsh.

RedFanAlways1966
08-16-2006, 12:55 PM
One of my favorite moments from the 1990 season was Norm Charlton de-cleating Mike at home plate.....while wearing his stylish Reds warmup jacket.

Whenever there is mention of that collision I always like to mention that Scoscia helped defeat the REDS in the game before that one by blocking Eric Davis from scoring the tying run at home. Davis beat the throw in plenty of time, but Scoscia's block stopped him from touching the plate when he slid feet first. IIRC Pinella went bonkers on the homeplate ump and got tossed b/c he thought ED was safe.... jumped up and down while doing a safe call with his arms while screaming at the ump. A classic Pinella tirade! So Norm's "tackle" had purpose and payback.

Always Red
08-16-2006, 12:55 PM
I've always hated Mr. Wonderful, Steve Garvey, with a passion.

Tommy Freaking LaSorda comes in a close 2nd.

Confession- I always liked Ron Cey- tough guy.

westofyou
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Living in the Bay Area intensified my hatred of all things Dodger.

Other guys I despised.

Brett Butler
Mike Marshall (2nd one)
and Bob Welch (not the one with album called "French Kiss")

IowaRed
08-16-2006, 01:14 PM
some other names that deserve special mention: Forster, Reuss, Hooton, Hatcher, Howe, Fernando, Sax, Guerrero.

Red Leader
08-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Steve Sax. Doh! How could I forget that turd.

dabvu2498
08-16-2006, 01:21 PM
He was only a Dodger briefly, but add Jeffrey Leonard. Throw Rafael Landestoy in as well.

Red Leader
08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
He was only a Dodger briefly, but add Jeffrey Leonard. Throw Rafael Landestoy in as well.

Rafael Landestoy was the first player I remember seeing a baseball card of that had gone to another team from the Reds. I remember looking at that baseball card and thinking: TRAITOR!

I had that same feeling when I saw an SI issue that had pictures of Dave Collins and Ken Griffey, Sr in a Yankees jersey.

dabvu2498
08-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Rafael Landestoy was the first player I remember seeing a baseball card of that had gone to another team from the Reds. I remember looking at that baseball card and thinking: TRAITOR!

Good trade for the Reds though:

May 9, 1983: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the Los Angeles Dodgers for John Franco and Brett Wise (minors).

Red Leader
08-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Good trade for the Reds though:

May 9, 1983: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the Los Angeles Dodgers for John Franco and Brett Wise (minors).

Yeah, but I didn't know that when I was 10. :laugh:

Chip R
08-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Steve Sax. Doh! How could I forget that turd.

Last I heard he was arrested because of some unsolved murder in New York City. ;)

tsj017
08-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Steve Garvey, by a wide margin.

Razor Shines
08-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Last I heard he was arrested because of some unsolved murder in New York City. ;)
Good for him. Glad to see he's adjusted well to life after baseball.

cumberlandreds
08-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Garvey. I knew he was a fraud back in the 70's. Not Mr. Perfect like he was portrayed. He proved it later by going on a sex rampage and getting multiple women pregnant.

Always Red
08-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Garvey. I knew he was a fraud back in the 70's. Not Mr. Perfect like he was portrayed. He proved it later by going on a sex rampage and getting multiple women pregnant.
Mr. Phoney-Baloney.:barf: :barf:

I always hated that guy and his fake smile, and his Reds-killing ways.

MartyFan
08-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Without needing a minute to think about it...Dusty Baker.

dman
08-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Kirk Gibson
Ron Cey
Steve Garvey

camisadelgolf
08-16-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm going with Mike Piazza. He had a press conference to specifically state that he's not homosexual.

lo ryder
08-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Definitely Fernando, he of the 83 mph fastball.

RollyInRaleigh
08-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Don Sutton

OesterPoster
08-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Pedro Guerrero for me. No question.

Ltlabner
08-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Tommy Lasagne; any time he is talking and trying to sound ohhhhh so serious and knowledgeable about baseball all I can think about is him in that assinine wizzard outfit from "The Baseball Bunch" in the very early '80s.

Team Clark
08-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Mike Marshal and his silly wife that used to call in to all of the Radio shows.

REDREAD
08-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Tom Nedienfeurer and Pedro Guerrero.

I just got tired of seeing LA on "game of the week" every week and hearing the lovefest the announcers had for those two guys.

KalDanielsfan
08-16-2006, 11:35 PM
alfredo griffin...just hated his name.

deltachi8
08-16-2006, 11:47 PM

Were talkin softball
Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw
Steve Sax and his run in with the law
Were talking Ozzie, Homer and the Straw

marcshoe
08-17-2006, 12:21 AM
L.A.sorda, Fernando (talk about stealing the Cy Young!), pretty much all of 'em except for Mariano Duncan and Eric Davis.

bigdaddy
08-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Well, this thread is winding down and confirms my earlier statement. If your a true Reds fan, you do not like the Dodgers. About this, what if play them in the first round of the playoffs. Both teams division champions. Now, that would be fun!
GO REDS

goreds2
08-17-2006, 01:31 PM
I would have to say Steve Yeager is who I dislike the most after reading a Baseball Digest article in the mid-1970's. It was titled, The Catcher Who Says He Is Better Than Bench. :eek:

Mario-Rijo
08-17-2006, 01:57 PM
In specific order:

5. Mike Scoscia- Just didn't like him because Norm Charlton didn't, not so much now I guess.

4. Steve Garvey- Just always seemed so darn smug.

3. J.D. Drew- Any unproven guy that holds his team hostage for more $$$ than is reasonable, and then goes back into the draft the next year and goes to another team should be exiled from the sport.

2. Tommy Lasorda- Sometimes now he cracks me up, but my Grandpa could not stand and so I developed a strong dislike for him. I never laughed so hard when he was 3rd base coach at the AS game a few years back and got knocked on his keester by a foul ball. Feet up in the air hat on his face and all, sorta reminds me of a Weeble Wobble. I guess they do fall down.

1. Kal Daniels- Yeah I know he was Red, and much like the previously stated Landestoy deal this had a great degree of why Kal ranks so high. That and I remember him flexing his muscle and running his mouth in the dugout after he hit a bomb against us after that. I just never liked him much even as a Red, although he was a pretty good hitter.

Big Klu
08-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Darryl Strawberry

redhawkfish
08-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Mike Marshall(the outfielder not the pitcher)

I remember a quote that said "he wen't on the DL for getting shampoo in his eyes!":D

redsupport
08-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Rafael Landestoy and Daryl Spencer, possibly John Franco and Tim Leary

RollyInRaleigh
08-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Mike Marshall(the outfielder not the pitcher)

I remember a quote that said "he wen't on the DL for getting shampoo in his eyes!":D

Didn't like the brainiac pitcher, either.

Spitball
08-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Mike Marshall (the pitcher) because he reportedly used to mock Tony Perez. The slimebag couldn't have carried Perez's Hall of Fame jockstrap.

Nancy Marshall, his wife, and Bobbie Bouton, Jim's wife, wrote a book about their sleazy husbands called Home Games.

RedsBaron
08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Garvey's sexual escapades came to public knowledge around the same time that Pete Rose was banned from baseball for gambling. There was a joke going around stating that Rose had bet on the Breeder's Cup, and Garvey had won it.

RedsBaron
08-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Bill Russell, I felt like he was very overrated!!
I dunno, Russell's Celtics won a lot of NBA titles.

RedsBaron
08-17-2006, 08:25 PM

While Hershiser deserved the 1988 Cy Young award, I otherwise agreed with the above post. There probably hasn't been a Dodger player that I liked since Sandy Koufax.
Probably my least favorite Dodger is Lasorda. Everytime I think that Tommy Lasorda is in the Hall of Fame and Pete Rose is not, I want to puke.

Team Clark
08-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Garvey's sexual escapades came to public knowledge around the same time that Pete Rose was banned from baseball for gambling. There was a joke going around stating that Rose had bet on the Breeder's Cup, and Garvey had won it.

NOW THAT is funny!:laugh:

LINEDRIVER
08-17-2006, 10:16 PM
I hated the Dodgers back in the 70's when the Reds and Dodgers were in the NL West. That was a big rivalry. But looking back at these names, I cant say I ever hated any one guy in particular. It was fun watching the best go up against more of the best. Well, come to think of it, I think Davey Lopes stole second base one time when the Dodgers were lucky enough to be up by 6 or 8 runs. After pulling that stunt, I hated his guts for awhile. LOL

I remember seeing a GREAT game at Riverfront somewhere around 1979-1980. 'Twas a Friday night, the place was packed. The Dodgers are starting to rally. Reds mgr John McNamara gets hard-throwing reliever Doug Bair up and throwing. Within a couple minutes, Bair is throwing bullets to the bullpen catcher. Despite all the noise, and there was MUCH MUCH more noise than normal, I could still hear Bair's pitches POP loudly into the bullpen catcher's mitt. It was magic, you had to be there. Steve Garvey came to the plate with his bat and those "Popeye" arms. Garvey got his pitch and sent a screaming liner over the leftfield wall. I'm not sure if he hit that off Bair or before Bair got in the game. I relayed the story to Doug Bair when I ran into him about 5 yrs ago. He liked talking baseball with somebody who recognized him, but he didnt recall Garvey crushing a HR off him in Cincinnati.

some history....

SEPTEMBER 3, 1975 … The Los Angeles Dodgers lick their wounds after receiving a good ole’ fashion butt-whippin’ by the Big Red Machine Cincinnati Reds in the opener of a two-game series in Cincinnati. The Reds erupt for a ten-run offensive explosion in the fourth-inning after there are two outs and without the help of a HR. The Reds humiliate the Dodgers with a 13-2 final score. Gary Nolan picks up the win, Andy Messersmith takes the loss. The Reds sit high atop the NL West with a 92-46 record, 19 ½ games ahead of the second-place Dodgers.

AUGUST 8, 1976 … The Big Red Machine Cincinnati Reds complete a four game sweep of the rival Dodgers in Los Angeles. The Reds are cruising at the top the NL West with a record of 73-39, 13 games ahead of the second-place Dodgers.

Can you imagine what that was like going into THEIR ballpark and kicking THEIR butts in front of THEIR fans and leaving with a four game sweep??

crazybob60
08-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Mike Marshal and his silly wife that used to call in to all of the Radio shows.

I will second this Mike Marshall listing....I was thinking about this very thread today and his name was the first one that popped into my mind and actually one that I hadn't seen listed yet and thought I might be the first to bring it up....but I was beaten to the punch....for some reason, I could never stand the guy.

Although I don't know much about his wife and her calling into radio stations.

marcshoe
08-18-2006, 12:13 AM
I would have to say Steve Yeager is who I dislike the most after reading a Baseball Digest article in the mid-1970's. It was titled, The Catcher Who Says He Is Better Than Bench. :eek:

I remember that article.

Yeager's a distant cousin of my stepsisters, and was born down the road in West Hamlin (no matter what his baseball card says), delivered by a doctor I used to visit.

But he was a Dodger, so none of the rest matters. :angry:

Unassisted
08-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Gotta be Marvy Garvey at the top of the list. I remember talk while he wore the Blue that he would probably run for the Senate after his playing days were over. I prefer the abject humiliation that a career of serial womanizing delivered.

I'd probably go with Orel Hershiser next. Holier than thou and too often a Reds-killer according to my memory bank.

For some reason, I never despised Lasorda. I guess I figured at the time that his teams were winning in spite of him. Plus I found him much more charming than most of the Reds managers of that era.

I look forward to the "least favorite Astro" thread. I'll bet I've got one that nobody would come up with. ;)

crazybob60
08-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Has Chan Ho Park been mentioned yet??? He is yet another that I just couldn't stand...

And then there were three other pitchers as well...Pedro Astacio, and the Martinez brothers of Pedro and Ramon.

gm
08-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Fernando (talk about stealing the Cy Young!)

Word. Like the RoY award wasn't good enough? Seaver was 18 and frickin' 1

'81 was a disaster for Red's fans. Best record in the NL, but no room on the dance card in October.

RedsBaron
08-18-2006, 07:04 AM
Word. Like the RoY award wasn't good enough? Seaver was 18 and frickin' 1

'81 was a disaster for Red's fans. Best record in the NL, but no room on the dance card in October.
You can make good arguments on behalf of three pitchers for the 1981 NL Cy Young award. Fernando Valenzuela won it. He had a 13-7 record with a 2.48 ERA, a 134 ERA+, 11 complete games, 8 shutouts, 192.3 innings pitched, 140 hits allowed, 61 base on balls allowed, and 180 Ks.
Tom Seaver went 14-2 (not 18 and frickin' 1) with a 2.54 ERA, a 140 ERA+, 6 complete games, 1 shutout, 166.3 innings pitched, 120 hits allowed, 66 base on balls allowed, and 87 Ks.
Steve Carlton went 13-4 with a 2.42 ERA, a 150 ERA+, 10 complete games, 1 shutout, 190 innings pitched, 152 hits allowed, 62 base on balss allowed, and 179 Ks.
I look at those numbers now, 25 years later, and I still don't know who I would have voted for.
By the way, I discovered something else while I was looking up those stats. I of course knew that the Reds had the best record in baseball that strike-interrupted 1981 season, yet didn't make the playoffs. What I didn't know was that the Reds Pythagoream record was not nearly as good as their actual record, which means they may have been somewhat lucky. While the Reds went 66-42, they scored 464 runs and gave up 440, for a Pythagoream record of 57-51. The 1981 Dodgers scored 450 runs and allowed 356, for a Pythagoream record of 67-43 as opposed to their actual 63-47 mark.

RedFanAlways1966
08-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Yeager's a distant cousin of my stepsisters, and was born down the road in West Hamlin (no matter what his baseball card says), delivered by a doctor I used to visit.

But he was a Dodger, so none of the rest matters. :angry:

And Yeager played high school baseball in Dayton for Meadowdale High School.

LINEDRIVER
08-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Mike Marshall (the pitcher) because he reportedly used to mock Tony Perez. The slimebag couldn't have carried Perez's Hall of Fame jockstrap.

SEPTEMBER 7, 1974 … The National League’s biggest Western Division rivalry continues at full speed before a Saturday afternoon crowd of 50,014 fans at Cincinnati’s Riverfront Stadium. Reds’ second baseman Joe Morgan, playing with a badly sprained ankle, falls at home plate while batting against Dodgers’ ace reliever Mike Marshall in the eighth-inning. Morgan refuses Sparky Anderson’s request to come out of the game and then belts Marshall’s next pitch over the right field fence for a 2-run HR to break the 5-5 tie. Junior Kennedy replaces Morgan at second base in the top of the ninth-inning. Lefty pitcher Freddie Norman throws a scoreless ninth-inning of relief to preserve the win for Cincinnati reliever Clay Carroll. Reds 7, Dodgers 5.

redsupport
08-18-2006, 11:10 AM
I didlike John Purdin immensely, he and MIke Kekich and Dick Calmus were exceedingly successful twelfth pitchers

registerthis
08-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Kirk Gibson, just because I get sick of seeing the inevitable fist-pumping anytime ESPN does one of their "biggest HRs of all time" or something similar.

Roy Tucker
08-18-2006, 11:23 AM
And Yeager played high school baseball in Dayton for Meadowdale High School.

And he was an even better basketball player for Meadowdale. IIRC, he was the all-city player of the year as a senior (1967) and got a lot of props for that.

I thought he would go on to play college hoops and was very surprised when he was drafted and signed with the Dodgers.

Big Klu
08-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Kirk Gibson, just because I get sick of seeing the inevitable fist-pumping anytime ESPN does one of their "biggest HRs of all time" or something similar.

Better the Dodgers in the '88 Series than Tony LaRussa's A's!