PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals Announcers

runfreelrun
08-17-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't know how many of you have had the great honor of watching the Reds on the Cardinals channel the last two nights, but let me tell you it has been frustrating. During the first two games Al Herbosky has been nothing less then a frightened homer. Comments like "Phillips doesn't hustle" and "they aren't playing like a contender" and "Dunn making circus catches out there" have permeated the airwaves. It really makes me sick to listen to them, the Brewers crew, and the Astros just to name a few as the all are so brain washed that their squad does nothing wrong the the visiting team can do no right. After this year I have come to appreciate Welsh and Grande more and more as they are honest and tough and don't play favorites to the point of being annoying.

westofyou
08-17-2006, 10:21 AM
During the first two games Al Herbosky has been nothing less then a frightened homer.

True, Al was hitting new lows in his attempt to boost the Birds at the expense of the Reds, it was almost as painful as listening to George shine the Cardinals silver all night while telling them how nice and rare it was.

flyer85
08-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Hrabosky is bad. While on vacation last week I had to listen to the Cardinal boobs. Honestly, they aren't any better than GG and the Creeper.

redsmetz
08-17-2006, 10:26 AM
True, Al was hitting new lows in his attempt to boost the Birds at the expense of the Reds, it was almost as painful as listening to George shine the Cardinals silver all night while telling them how nice and rare it was.

I guess MLB uses the home announcers for the highlight film on each team's website. The call the other night on Castro's run scoring double sounded like his dog had died.

IowaRed
08-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Hrabosky is a notorious homer. In my opinion there is no more annoying announcer in all of baseball than Hrabosky, and it's been that way for awhile.

Last night both Cards announcers briefly commented on how the Reds ballpark was a big factor in the disparity between the amount of HR's the Reds have hit vs. how many the Cardinals have hit. I don't know the exact stats and what they say about GABP, they may be correct, but it was really nice to see the Reds pound 5 in STL.

cumberlandreds
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Hrabosky goes out of his way to denigrate the opposing team. He is terrible and one reason I don't watch the Cards very much when the Reds aren't playing. I think the people who really get onto Grande and Welsch don't listen to other teams announcers. They are usually much more informed with better comments than probably 70% of the announcers out there. Sometimes they just go out of their way a little too much to seem impartial.

Heath
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM

It took painful steps to get George Grande to smile on Reds Wrap after the game.

It's excruciating to listen to FSN. Even though I have a radio delay, I still listen.

lollipopcurve
08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
I was going to post on this. These guys may be the worst. The comment about the Reds not hustling and hardly resembling a contender -- wow. Who's breathing down the Cards' neck? How about when Hrabosky sniffed over EdE's low HR totals "for a cleanup hitter." Does he have any idea how EdE's season has gone? I loved it when Dunn homered while they were banging on him for the play in LF and his error total.

Really, I think they may be the worst on Fox. They were even whining about how the Cards had lost players like Sanders and Grudzielanek and Larry Walker. Like, it's an insult to have to broadcast in August without a double-digit lead.

One thing I like about several of the Fox teams is that they are knowledgeable about and appropriately complimentary of their home team's opponent. They realize there are many fans of that opponent watching. The Cards guys are as unaware as it gets -- spoiled by years of coasting, defensive, insulting, and poorly informed. Hack city.

TRF
08-17-2006, 11:06 AM
I really like the Astros announcers. very knowledgable.

But the White Sox announce team is the worst. ever.

danforsman
08-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I completely agree, having watched the last two nights' games on MLB EI. It did get a little better as the two announcers began naming all the players that are gone from the Cardinals, almost getting teary-eyed trying to figure out how they ended up with outfielders like Taguchi, Spezio and Perez in place of Walker and Sanders and relievers like Sosa and Looper instead of King, Kline Taverez and Calero.

VR
08-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I prefer the announcers that bag on the other team and pimp their own.

Carin4Narron
08-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Dudes, just turn the sound down. If you don't like the delay on the Reds broadcast. Just do what I do, watch the game with no sound. I find it less frustrating that way hearing no insane comments from anybody.

oneupper
08-17-2006, 11:49 AM
I kind of like the guys who do the Braves games. They're Homers without being despective of the opposing team.

Big Klu
08-17-2006, 11:50 AM
I kind of like the guys who do the Braves games. They're Homers without being despective of the opposing team.

I agree. I enjoy watching TBS telecasts when the Reds play the Braves.

goreds2
08-17-2006, 11:52 AM

The Braves radio crew are also good. Those TV and Radio broadcasters have so much class it makes me sick. :laugh:

registerthis
08-17-2006, 11:53 AM

Yeah, this is one of those times when I wish I could get my MLB audio synced with the TV. The cards announcers have been practically unbearable. The "they aren't playing like contenders" line last night was ridiculous. Oh, what, the Cardinals are?

MaineRed
08-17-2006, 11:55 AM
No matter how bad the announcers are, I have to have the sound on. Watching a baseball game in silence is nothing I would call fun.

I want to hear the crack of the bat, the crowd, etc, etc.

It would be nice if these proffesional announcers were a little more professional.

westofyou
08-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Dudes, just turn the sound down. If you don't like the delay on the Reds broadcast. Just do what I do, watch the game with no sound. I find it less frustrating that way hearing no insane comments from anybody.
Baseball is an all senses sport, the game emits sounds that aren't just announcers droning on and on.

cumberlandreds
08-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I would really like to watch a game with just the sounds of the ballpark. I would think this would be good to try for a game or two. I know they tried this with football but don't know if they have with baseball.

Big Klu
08-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Baseball is an all senses sport, the game emits sounds that aren't just announcers droning on and on.

True. Last spring I watched the World Baseball Classic, and some of the games were on ESPN Deportes. Now I got pretty good grades in Spanish back when I was in school, but that was 16 years ago, so I didn't understand anything they were saying, other than a few stray words here and there. (They spoke too danged fast!) But I couldn't watch without the sound turned down--I had to be able to hear the crack of the bat and the roar of the crowd.

BCubb2003
08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
I would really like to watch a game with just the sounds of the ballpark. I would think this would be good to try for a game or two. I know they tried this with football but don't know if they have with baseball.

This happens about once a year on mlb.com, when they have a weekday day game that neither team's broadcasters are carrying. it's odd at first to view the games with no broadcasters or graphics, just the PA announcer and the sounds of the ballpark, but it's really nice.

Jr's Boy
08-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Hrbosky sounds like he's had a few drinks,or like he's about to fall off asleep.

CTA513
08-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Cardinals fans have something to say about the Reds announcers:

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cardinals&msg=60416.1&ctx=0

:laugh:

Wheelhouse
08-17-2006, 12:59 PM

UGH. TBS has to have the most boring gamecast on TV. I find it to be a sedative.

BCubb2003
08-17-2006, 01:09 PM

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cardinals&msg=60416.1&ctx=0

Interesting perspective. They think Grande and Welsh are too critical of the Cardinals.

RedFanAlways1966
08-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Wow... not playing like contenders? Gee, I guess playing like a contender means having a LOSING record w/in your own division or getting swept by the team with by far the worst record in the NL?!?!?

:confused: :rolleyes:

cumberlandreds
08-17-2006, 01:19 PM
This happens about once a year on mlb.com, when they have a weekday day game that neither team's broadcasters are carrying. it's odd at first to view the games with no broadcasters or graphics, just the PA announcer and the sounds of the ballpark, but it's really nice.

Thanks! I remember hearing about this. One of the days I will have high speed internet intead of the dial up and be able to subscribe to this package.

Gizmo
08-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Wow... not playing like contenders? Gee, I guess playing like a contender means having a LOSING record w/in your own division or getting swept by the team with by far the worst record in the NL?!?!?

:confused: :rolleyes:

I'd rep you if I could.

TeamBoone
08-17-2006, 02:02 PM

I was pleasantly surprised when I watched the Reds on TBS. I thought they did a good job as well.

Wow! then they must really really hate all the others.

Fat_Strat
08-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Bag on Hrabosky and McLaughlin all you want. Most Cardinal fans can't stand them either, so you're preaching to the choir... and I have to listen to him 162 games a season.

If he calls So Taguchi a professional hitter one more time, I think I'll just go ahead and throw up.

The radio guys, Shannon and Rooney, are much better. Most fans of other teams don't like Shannon, but there's a lot of history and stories there with him.

killuminati35
08-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I've had to listen to Al Hrabosky on TV and Mike Shannon call games my entire life, and they are just down right terrible. They are the most negative and nasty announcers I have ever seen. They waste no time in bad mouthing the opposing team. Al Hrabosky even went on to say that he think God is a Cardinal fan...

Rocket_Fuel
08-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Interesting perspective. They think Grande and Welsh are too critical of the Cardinals.

What are they smoking. Personally think those guys are having a secret love affair with the Cardinals. I think Welsh had to clean himself up when Edmonds went over the wall and made a play at GABP about a year or so ago. Reds radio is obviously the best, the Braves are outstanding as well. The Cubs aren't to bad either. I love broadcasters who are homers and knowledgeable but give the other team respect.

Rocket_Fuel
08-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Bag on Hrabosky and McLaughlin all you want. Most Cardinal fans can't stand them either, so you're preaching to the choir... and I have to listen to him 162 games a season.

If he calls So Taguchi a professional hitter one more time, I think I'll just go ahead and throw up.

The radio guys, Shannon and Rooney, are much better. Most fans of other teams don't like Shannon, but there's a lot of history and stories there with him.

I think that's how it is with most teams. The T.V. guys are annoying, but the radio guys are solid. I know people love Vin Scully, but I can't stand listening to a one man booth.

BoomerSoonerRed
08-17-2006, 11:15 PM
I've had to listen to Al Hrabosky on TV and Mike Shannon call games my entire life, and they are just down right terrible. They are the most negative and nasty announcers I have ever seen. They waste no time in bad mouthing the opposing team. Al Hrabosky even went on to say that he think God is a Cardinal fan...
Having to hear Shannon on XM radio today makes me wonder why XM doesn't let fans listen to the broadcast of both teams, like Sirius does with the NFL. And since our town carries the Cardinal broadcasts on one of the radio stations, I thought I was running away from Mike Shannon when I got XM. Turns out I was wrong.:bang:

KalDanielsfan
08-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey Mods, can we move this thread to the "Thanks Captain Obvious" Forum?

gm
08-18-2006, 01:37 AM
I'd take a McLaughlin for Grande trade in a heartbeat. George would get to stroke his man-crush on Edmonds and Albert every night, and the Creeper's commentary would help make the plain-vanilla McLaughlin sound listen-to-able

I overheard that "God is a Cardinal's fan" comment from the Mad Hungarian as well...here's hoping Al will have some soul searchin' to do, come October