PDA

View Full Version : Cards might go afetr Reggie Sanders if he clears waivers! Reds should block!

redsfan4445
08-17-2006, 11:36 AM
per prosportsdaily.com

Edmonds' exit creates yet another problem
August 17
St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz: "Jocketty could be more ambitious by checking with Arizona about the availability of Shawn Green or Luis Gonzalez. Reggie Sanders is due to make $5 million guaranteed next season, but if the Kansas City Royals are willing to pick up a sizable piece of that cost, perhaps Sanders can come back to energize a cold Cardinals clubhouse and jump-start his slow bat."

redsmetz
08-17-2006, 11:38 AM
I know this wouldn't be popular here, but I'd do that deal for several reasons. The first is your point, it keeps him from the Cards. Secondly, brings a presence I'd like to see on this club and bolsters the outfield corps. Finally, it gives Reggie the chance to finish his career where he started it.
Keep in mind for next year that several guys here now, aren't going to be here next year, e.g. Hollandsworth and Clayton to name a couple; probably Aurilia too.

NJReds
08-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah. I think the Reds would have to block that move.

deltachi8
08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
.244 .300 .416 .716

Not sure i'd risk a $5 price tag for a guy that may not be a difference maker to the Cards.

Puffy
08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I'd rather have Sanders over Hollandsworth. I think the Reds need a righthanded bat more than that lefty one Hollandsworth brings.

registerthis
08-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Not sure i'd risk a $5 price tag for a guy that may not be a difference maker to the Cards.

Everyone seems to play better when they get to St. Louis though. Something in the water.

pedro
08-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd rather have Sanders over Hollandsworth. I think the Reds need a righthanded bat more than that lefty one Hollandsworth brings.

word.

maniem
08-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I would be very scared if the Cards somehow get Shawn Green. The guy can still hit, and i have a bad feeling that he could be re-energized and regain his power stroke with the Cards. I hope this doesn't happen.

toledodan
08-17-2006, 11:55 AM

it wouldn't cost but a portion of the remaing salary. IMO it would be a great move and the reds could then dump hollandsworth.

redsfanfalcon
08-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Isn't Sanders on the DL? What is he on for?

Red Leader
08-17-2006, 11:59 AM
it wouldn't cost but a portion of the remaing salary. IMO it would be a great move and the reds could then dump hollandsworth.

I believe Reggie's got money tied to him for 2007 as well, so it wouldn't JUST be the rest of his 2006 salary the Reds are taking on.

That makes me think a little harder before I go putting in a claim on him. He is getting up there in age. With Dunn and Griffey most likely returning next year in the OF, I'm not so sure I'd want an aging Reggie Sanders flanking them everyday in the OF.

Big Klu
08-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Before the Todd Hollandsworth acquisition, I thought the Reds needed both a lefty and a righty bat for the bench, which is why the I was interested in the switch-hitting Jose Cruz, Jr. But I still think that Hollandsworth will be OK from the left side, his slow start with the Reds notwithstanding--I think he is 0/6 with 6 K's since joining the club.

However, I still think that a right-handed OF bat off the bench would be helpful, especially if Rich Aurilia is going to be seeing more time at SS. (Juan Castro, Royce Clayton, and Jason LaRue just don't cut it as right-handed thunder.)

Possible options:
Reggie Sanders
Jose Cruz, Jr. (switch-hitter)
Preston Wilson

dfs
08-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Green or Gonzo could be nice pickups for the cards, but why would the d'backs send them off? Given that the d'backs are right in there for the wild card, I'm not sure if shuffling their players to the cards does the reds a disservice or not.

Reggie Sanders ....being payed 5 million next season...hitting 250 this season....I don't want him on the reds roster. I'm not sure if he helps the cards or not. The way the reds have treated Freel, it would be just like them to bring in Sanders and bench Ryan.

I can't think about Hollandsworth being on the roster without seeing red. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure there's a mutual option with Rich A. I strongly suspect he's coming back next year.

Patrick Bateman
08-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Let the Cards have him. Sanders has been putrid this season. He's Juan Encarnacion without the glitz.

Sanders may be better than Hollandsworth, but not at the cost of 5M next season. The Reds simply can't afford to block the waiver deal because there is a chance we are stuck with him.

If the Cards claim him they are stuck with a veteran at the end of the ropes. I would love to see the Cards get stuck with him.

BRM
08-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Let the Cards have him. Sanders has been putrid this season. He's Juan Encarnacion without the glitz.

Sanders may be better than Hollandsworth, but not at the cost of 5M next season. The Reds simply can't afford to block the waiver deal because there is a chance we are stuck with him.

If the Cards claim him they are stuck with a veteran at the end of the ropes. I would love to see the Cards get stuck with him.

Sanders will probably OPS .850 for the Cards if they pick him up. Players seem to do that when they get to St Louis.

Patrick Bateman
08-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Sanders will probably OPS .850 for the Cards if they pick him up. Players seem to do that when they get to St Louis.

Even so, they may as well pay the guy 5M instead of the minimum and get guys like Duncan to OPS 1.000.

15fan
08-17-2006, 12:11 PM
I'd rather not make the playoffs without Reggie Sanders than make the playoffs with Reggie Sanders.

Been down that road before.

2 for 16 with 10 Ks.

Johnny Footstool
08-17-2006, 12:15 PM
If the Cards want to pay him that much, they can have him.

dsmith421
08-17-2006, 12:16 PM
I'd rather not make the playoffs without Reggie Sanders than make the playoffs with Reggie Sanders.

Been down that road before.

2 for 16 with 10 Ks.

You've got to be kidding me. If Sanders can help us get to the playoffs and Castellini is willing to pay the extra dosh, then why not? It's been eleven damned years. I could care less what Reggie did against Atlanta in 1995.

I would prefer we didn't sign him, but if we did and he helped us, then good for the ballclub.

redsmetz
08-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Reggie Sanders is due to make $5 million guaranteed next season, but if the Kansas City Royals are willing to pick up a sizable piece of that cost...

The above statement was part of the original premise and that was part of my affirmative response. Besides, Reggie has proven to be a lucky charm for teams in the past. If we'd have to eat much of his 2007 salary, I don't know that I would do it, although, it's not a dealbreaker. I like a Reggie Sanders as sort of a player/role model/coach with our club (and that's not a huge factor either).

Z-Fly
08-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Everyone seems to play better when they get to St. Louis though. Something in the water.

See Mark Molder, Ponson, Weaver, Looper. Should I go on?

Team Clark
08-17-2006, 09:37 PM

That's a great point. Soriano yes, Green Maybe, Sanders :thumbdown

If the Cardinals should go after anybody on the Royals I would say Grudzielanek. JMO.

Rocket_Fuel
08-17-2006, 09:46 PM
We're pretty much through with St. Louis for the year. We might catch them for the Central division title it is still very much a race. But we need to start solidifying the Wild Card starting with sweeping Pittsburgh this weekend hopefully. And if St. Louis gets stronger and beats up the other Wild Card contenders all the better for us!

Unassisted
08-18-2006, 12:16 AM
I'd rather the Reds take Paul Lynde to block. They have enough outfielders.

http://www.tvparty.com/vgifs11/lynde5.jpg

gomuskies
08-18-2006, 12:18 AM
cards will aquire preston wilson from houston, edmonds may be on the shelf for a while wilson needs work, mark it down

Falls City Beer
08-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind picking up Sanders, but I feel the Wayne Krivsky Ship of Fools has reached capacity.

crazybob60
08-18-2006, 12:28 AM
I really wish we would have gone after either one of Preston Wilson and/or Reggie Sanders instead of getting Todd Hollandsworth, but it may have been a mute points or maybe the team wouldn't have dealt with us, it just my two cents.

keeganbrick
08-18-2006, 12:39 AM
I would love to see Reggie backs in a Reds uni because I love that guy. But a pricey tag may make it difficult for the Reds. He would be a great player off the bench to play for Freel when he needs days off.

Johnny Footstool
08-18-2006, 12:47 AM
The above statement was part of the original premise and that was part of my affirmative response. Besides, Reggie has proven to be a lucky charm for teams in the past. If we'd have to eat much of his 2007 salary, I don't know that I would do it, although, it's not a dealbreaker. I like a Reggie Sanders as sort of a player/role model/coach with our club (and that's not a huge factor either).

He's done wonders for the Royals.

Jim Schue
08-18-2006, 01:37 AM
He's done wonders for the Royals.

Bad example. It's not like KC was a team on the verge of contending, and they brought Reggie in to push them over the top.

redsmetz
08-18-2006, 06:22 AM
Bad example. It's not like KC was a team on the verge of contending, and they brought Reggie in to push them over the top.

I agree. I think he's found himself with a club whose ownership has no committment to winning. I still think he brings a great presence to a club house. Clearly he's on the downside of his career, but I think he still adds something to a ballclub - not necessarily as a starter, but he'd be great off the bench for us. As one person noted, I'd take him over Hollandsworth.

Johnny Footstool
08-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Clubhouse presence aside, what Reggie usually adds to a ballclub is an OPS of .850, some speed, and solid defense. Unfortunately, I think age has finally caught up with him and he won't be able to do that anymore. He's looked old and slow in KC.

Cicero
08-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Clubhouse presence aside, what Reggie usually adds to a ballclub is an OPS of .850, some speed, and solid defense. Unfortunately, I think age has finally caught up with him and he won't be able to do that anymore. He's looked old and slow in KC.

Doesn't everyone in KC look old and slow?

Johnny Footstool
08-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Doesn't everyone in KC look old and slow?

Some of us have managed to avoid a third helping of brisket at the local BBQ...

Or were you just referring to the Royals?

Cicero
08-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Some of us have managed to avoid a third helping of brisket at the local BBQ...

Or were you just referring to the Royals?

Could be a combination of both. :laugh:

I am inspired to fire up the smoker and make a brisket this weekend though. :beerme:

Johnny Footstool
08-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Could be a combination of both. :laugh:

I am inspired to fire up the smoker and make a brisket this weekend though. :beerme:

Lucky!

I wanted to cook some brisket on Saturday, but I've got to go to breastfeeding class instead.

I just like to hang out there. :beerme: