PDA

View Full Version : 8/20/06 Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati - JR Out, Hollandsworth - Larue IN

Pages : [1] 2 3

RedsMan3203
08-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Lineup today:
Freel CF
Hatteberg 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Dunn LF
Aurilia SS
Hollandsworth RF
Phillips 2B
LaRue C
Harang P

per marc

TheBigLebowski
08-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Ugh....

Hopefully that lineup won't hurt us too badly considering we're facing Chacon, who's been throwing grapefruits lately.

Pitiful that our 4th OF is Hollandsworth.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Ugh....

Hopefully that lineup won't hurt us too badly considering we're facing Chacon, who's been throwing grapefruits lately.

Or Victor Santos

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Lineup today:
Freel CF
Hatteberg 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Dunn LF
Aurilia SS
Hollandsworth RF
Phillips 2B
LaRue C
Harang P

per marc

Line Up should look like this Jerry:

Freel CF
Phillips 2B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Hatteberg 1B
Aurilia SS
LaRue C
Hollandsworth RF
Harang P

TheBigLebowski
08-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Or Victor Santos

Chacon is not getting the ball for PIT today? ESPN has him listed as the probable starter.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Chacon is not getting the ball for PIT today?

Reds.com and pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com has Santos starting.

I heard Chacon was moved to the pen after his blow up on August 9th

TheBigLebowski
08-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Reds.com and PittsburgPirates.com has Santos starting.

I heard Chacon was moved to the pen after his blow up on August 9th

Bet PIT fans love the Craig Wilson for Chacon swap about as much as we love "The Trade," although the severity of The Trade was much higher.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Considering this team is in a playoff hunt, and winning this series would really help, the "sunday special" isn't what the doctor ordered.

Hopefully this lineup can get it done.

smith288
Hollandsworth has done exactly nothing except for that great catch but ended up being for naught since they lost the game

So by my calculations, Hollandsworth isnt even worth the currently non existent player to be named.

Kc61
The question of the day is not about Hollandsworth or even Larue. Griffey needs occasional rest, Hollandsworth is a lifetime .272 hitter, Larue is a fact of Reds life.

The question of today is whether Aaron Harang can return to form. Reds need him to come through today.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Bet PIT fans love the Craig Wilson for Chacon swap about as much as we love "The Trade," although the severity of The Trade was much higher.

Just think what the Yanks would of got if they DFA'd Chacon. I was hoping they would and the Reds go after him but now im glad we didn't. Last year when he was dealt from the Rockies to the Crankees he actually was servicable

TheBigLebowski
08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
The question of the day is not about Hollandsworth or even Larue. Griffey needs occasional rest, Hollandsworth is a lifetime .272 hitter, Larue is a fact of Reds life.

I disagree.

Fact is, we could have a guy like Deno up here, or some other moderately useful, available ML'er instead of Hollandsworth.

Course, watch him hit 2 HR's today.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 11:39 AM

The question of today is whether Aaron Harang can return to form. Reds need him to come through today.

This is true.. Sad we allowed the Pirates to score 7 runs in the last 2 games

PressBox
08-20-2006, 11:40 AM
LaRue is 4/9 with a homerun and 2rbi in his career against Santos. Small sample size, but it's enough to merit him getting the start today.

Kc61
08-20-2006, 11:43 AM
I disagree.

Fact is, we could have a guy like Deno up here, or some other moderately useful, available ML'er instead of Hollandsworth.

Starting against a righty pitcher, Hollandsworth has far more potential than Deno. Hollandsworth has had a rought start as a Red but is a proven major league caliber reserve outfielder. Also hits left handed. Deno has proven nothing except that he can run. He hit grounders to short repeatedly and muffed a big play.

The stretch run is not the time for on-the-job training.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I disagree.

In Hollandsworths defense and im just being nice by saying this.. but being dealt to a contender may be pressure because he was brought in to help this team. With that said I wouldn't be upset if he went 0-fer and we cut him lose and bring in Cruz Jr. (Juniors protege back in Seattle.. for half a season)

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 11:47 AM
And CD did exactly what when he got to bat?

When he was up here....he looked dazed and confused during his starts and PH appearences.

I know TH is old...and is not going to get any better....therefore he deserves to be ripped on for the non-production he has delivered so far, but at least when he did start for CLE this year, he actually hit better.

Just think of him as this year's Mike Lum or Joe Hauge.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 11:48 AM
And here I thought today's game was a big game.

Guess not. :dunno:

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 11:49 AM
To add on........picking up a RH bat and dropping a C or DL Guardado in order to do this...would really help the team, IMO.

RedsMan3203
08-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Glad my plans fell through on todays game... I wouldn't of been happy to walk into the ballpark and see this lineup.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
To add on........picking up a RH bat and dropping a C or DL Guardado in order to do this...would really help the team, IMO.

Guardado did go on the DL and Belisle was brought up

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 11:58 AM
we seriously need to start winning some games.. our next series is with Houston (3 Games), then San Fran (4 Games), after that we face the very hot Dodgers (3 Games).. no days off till August 31st!

Tommyjohn25
08-20-2006, 12:00 PM
I would understand this lineup if it was the day before the west coast swing, but today? This baffles me a bit.

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Then start Matt.....and send down Mislovovich.....or start Franklin even.

LaRue's job is to help Harang get back on track. If AH holds them to 2 or less.....i see a Reds win. Hopefully he has about 7-8 innings in him....with less than 110 pitches.

PuffyPig
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
I find it incredulous that posters are all upset about this lineup.

Griffey is getting a rest. He certainly needs one once in a while, and the best time to give him one is in a day game after a night game vs. a pitcher who is tough on LH hitters.

Larue always catches Harang.

That's it for the changes form our regular lineup.

So, in essence the only real difference is Griffey getting a rest, which certainly isn't a surprise.

TC81190
08-20-2006, 12:05 PM
I find it incredulous that posters are all upset about this lineup.

Griffey is getting a rest. He certainly needs one once in a while, and the best time to give him one is in a day game after a night game vs. a pitcher who is tough on LH hitters.

Larue always catches Harang.

That's it for the changes form our regular lineup.

So, in essence the only real difference is Griffey getting a rest, which certainly isn't a surprise.

Word, Eddie batting third is good news.

redsfan30
08-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I think the complaining about this lineup is just for the sake of complaining. Considering Junior is getting the day off, this is about the best they could put out there.

LaRue catches Harang....it kills me that people haven't yet figured this out and here we are at the end of August.

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I still say....a lineup that included.....Ed Armbrister...Terry Crowley...Doug Flynn...and Bill Plummer was always much harder to take...back in the day...than the Narron lineups.

And you would be suprised as to how often those happened.

Falls City Beer
08-20-2006, 12:23 PM
This lineup kicks arse (with the exception of Hollandsworth).

reds44
08-20-2006, 12:24 PM
LaRue catches Harang
Everybody and their mother on this board have been saying Griffey needs a day off.

What are we complaining about?

Tommyjohn25
08-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Lineups aside, I will now use my 900th post to predict a Reds victory, 6-3. EE will go deep, and Harang will go 7 innings, giving up 2 runs on 5 hits. One more run by the Pirates in the 8th with Weathers closing the door in the 9th.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Pittsburgh Pirates
Lineup
Name Season/vs AVG HR RBI
Chris Duffy CF Season .201 0 7
vs. pitcher .250 0 0
Jack Wilson SS Season .276 8 32
vs. pitcher .333 0 0
Freddy Sanchez 3B Season .355 5 64
vs. pitcher .250 0 1
Jason Bay LF Season .295 26 85
vs. pitcher .500 0 2
Jeromy Burnitz RF Season .232 16 46
vs. pitcher .333 0 4
Xavier Nady 1B Season .276 15 49
vs. pitcher --- 0 0
Jose Castillo 2B Season .272 14 56
vs. pitcher .800 1 3
Humberto Cota C Season .189 0 4
vs. pitcher .000 0 0
Victor Santos P Season .097 0 0
vs. pitcher --- 0 0

Starting Pitcher
Name Season/vs Wins Losses Saves ERA
Victor Santos P Season 5 7 0 5.48
vs. Reds 1 0 0 6.10

Cincinnati Reds
Lineup
Name Season/vs AVG HR RBI
Ryan Freel CF Season .288 7 24
vs. pitcher .667 0 1
Scott Hatteberg 1B Season .314 11 38
vs. pitcher .250 0 0
Edwin Encarnacion 3B Season .299 14 63
vs. pitcher .000 0 0
Adam Dunn LF Season .248 36 82
vs. pitcher .250 0 0
Rich Aurilia SS Season .277 17 48
vs. pitcher --- 0 0
Todd Hollandsworth RF Season .000 0 0
vs. pitcher --- 0 0
Brandon Phillips 2B Season .291 12 60
vs. pitcher 1.000 0 0
Jason LaRue C Season .179 5 17
vs. pitcher 1.000 1 2
Aaron Harang P Season .157 0 2
vs. pitcher --- 0 0

Starting Pitcher
Name Season/vs Wins Losses Saves ERA
Aaron Harang P Season 12 8 0 3.82
vs. Pirates 1 1 0 6.55

Falls City Beer
08-20-2006, 12:25 PM
LaRue catches Harang
Everybody and their mother on this board have been saying Griffey needs a day off.

I agree. It's terrible, but Junior exerts gravitational pull on this ballclub.

dougdirt
08-20-2006, 12:35 PM
And CD did exactly what when he got to bat?

When he was up here....he looked dazed and confused during his starts and PH appearences.

I know TH is old...and is not going to get any better....therefore he deserves to be ripped on for the non-production he has delivered so far, but at least when he did start for CLE this year, he actually hit better.

Just think of him as this year's Mike Lum or Joe Hauge.

Did he really hit better than Denorfia? Deno has an on base percentage in the .330's, TH has one in the .250's. As for Deno as a PH, he is 4-8, so I dont think "he looked dazed and confused".

RedsMan3203
08-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Wow, Jim Day and the other guy just pretty much ripped Narron for not starting Ross today.

"He had 5 RBI last night, A carrer high... You must have to get like 10 RBI to get back in the starting linei up"

LOL

membengal
08-20-2006, 12:36 PM
McAlister just said on the pre-game that the Reds are nine games under .500 on weekend games this season, 12 games over on weekday games.

I don't know that there is any good reason for that, in general, although the lingering effect of too many "Sunday special" line-ups may be a factor.

Falls City Beer
08-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Wow, Jim Day and the other guy just pretty much ripped Narron for not starting Ross today.

"He had 5 RBI last night, A carrer high... You must have to get like 10 RBI to get back in the starting linei up"

LOL

Day game after a night game. Hard to fault him there.

RedsMan3203
08-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Day game after a night game. Hard to fault him there.

Yah.. But I could see it if Ross has been playing everyday for the past week or two.. He hasn't.. He has been playing off and on... They aint buying it...

I don't mind LaRue starting... I still think LaRue would have almost the same production as Ross if he was starting with the same basic's as Ross.

Tommyjohn25
08-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know off the top their head what the Reds record is in day games after night games this year? It feels as though it's been terrible, but I could be wrong.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Lates moves made pre-game-

From Marc:

Chris Michalak's grandmother passed away last night at age 102, so he's headed to the bereavement list for a minimum of three days. He's still expected to start Wednesday.

In the meantime, the Reds have recalled the International League's leading hitter (.349), Norris Hopper, from Louisville. He should be here in time to play today. Mike Burns was designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man.

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 12:41 PM

It's not an official Redszone gamethread without at least 10 complaints about Narron's line-up. :laugh:

Falls City Beer
08-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Yah.. But I could see it if Ross has been playing everyday for the past week or two.. He hasn't.. He has been playing off and on... They aint buying it...

I don't mind LaRue starting... I still think LaRue would have almost the same production as Ross if he was starting with the same basic's as Ross.

I don't know if there's any real reason for it or not, but catchers historically get the day game off after a night game--I don't think it has anything to do with how many starts a guy gets in a week.

Falls City Beer
08-20-2006, 12:43 PM
It's not an official Redszone gamethread without at least 10 complaints about Narron's line-up. :laugh:

It's the best Sunday lineup Narron's used all year. EdE in the 3 spot is genius.

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 12:44 PM
It's the best Sunday lineup Narron's used all year. EdE in the 3 spot is genius.

No disagreements there.

George Foster
08-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Ugh....

Pitiful that our 4th OF is Hollandsworth.

I was at the game last night. We won that game in spite of Jerry Narron. To leave Milton in the game to pitch to Bay was stupid...period. No other adjective can better describe it

To start LaRue over Ross is another bone head play. Ross and EE have been carrying this team for 3 weeks now. Hollingsworth is just over-the-hill. Automatic 0-4 with 2 strikesouts....mark it down. Pitiful line-up...but Jerry does not want to get any of the players mad at him...he likes being called a players coach...to hell will winning games.

reds44
08-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I was at the game last night. We won that game in spite of Jerry Narron. To leave Milton in the game to pitch to Bay was stupid...period. No other adjective can better describe it

To start LaRue over Ross is another bone head play. Ross and EE have been carrying this team for 3 weeks now. Hollingsworth is just over-the-hill. Automatic 0-4 with 2 strikesouts....mark it down. Pitiful line-up...but Jerry does not want to get any of the players mad at him...he likes being called a players coach...to hell will winning games.
Ross was 0 for his last 13 going into yesterday's game. Not exactly carrying the team.

George Foster
08-20-2006, 12:47 PM

Why is Sunday the designated play your scrubs day? This is August...we are in the hunt...rest in November..

Tommyjohn25
08-20-2006, 12:48 PM

Yeah, I'm sure that Jerry Narron doesn't want to win ballgames, it's not like his job depends on it or anything.

Is there a size 72 font size for this ---> :rolleyes:

reds44
08-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Why is Sunday the designated play your scrubs day? This is August...we are in the hunt...rest in November..
Then watch Griffey tear his hamstring on the west coast road trip.

George Foster
08-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Ross was 0 for his last 13 going into yesterday's game. Not exactly carrying the team.

He's carring the team a heck of a lot more than LaRue has. LaRue is a liability. He is absolutely no threat at the plate...clueless

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 12:51 PM

So should we start Griffey and Ross everyday until they die??

Griffey cannot be used everyday. He will wear down and is easily injured. This is the best time to rest him. A day game after a night game against Pittsburgh. It's better than resting him during the West coast trip where the games are even more important.

As for Ross, he's a catcher. Show me one catcher that doesn't get a rest every now and then. He's hot yes, but if you want to keep him effective the rest of the season, he will need some rests. Otherwise he will likely wear down and be less effective. Once again, a day game after a night game is the perfect time to give him a rest.

George Foster
08-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Then watch Griffey tear his hamstring on the west coast road trip.

What does this have to do with Sunday scrub day?

reds44
08-20-2006, 12:52 PM
What does this have to do with Sunday scrub day?
Griffey needs a rest. The entire board has been saying it for a month. LaRue ALWAYS catches Harang. He is what you call a "personal catcher".

reds44
08-20-2006, 12:53 PM
He's carring the team a heck of a lot more than LaRue has. LaRue is a liability. He is absolutely no threat at the plate...clueless
Lets try this one more time.

LaRue is Harang's personal catcher. Harang has been our best pitcher this year. Why mess with a good thing?

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Looks like Paulino got to grab some pine after his little temper tantrum yesterday. Go Jim Tracy, layin' down the law.

(Of course, if Paulino had been 34 and a nine-year veteran, he's "scrappy".)

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Hollandsworth starting isn't as bad against Santos, who throws a fair number of strikes.

Chacon, who's all over the place... Todd's severe lack of plate discipline would have been a poor match.

Tommyjohn25
08-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Looks like Paulino got to grab some pine after his little temper tantrum yesterday. Go Jim Tracy, layin' down the law.

(Of course, if Paulino had been 34 and a nine-year veteran, he's "scrappy".)

Too bad, I would have liked to see Dunn in a collision with the little prick. Let's see him push back then.

Doc. Scott
This may sound blasphemous, but I'd even consider trading Ross this offseason while his value is at its highest. We'd get next to nothing for LaRue, who is still guaranteed $5 million in 2007. There's a solid chance that '06 is just Dave's Year of 1999 Taubensee and that he'll go back to being Todd Greene/Bruce Bochy Jr. next season.

Just throwing that out there.

Matt700wlw

Can't argue that...Eddie in the 3 spot that is...

George Foster
08-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Lets try this one more time.

LaRue is Harang's personal catcher. Harang has been our best pitcher this year. Why mess with a good thing?

Lets try this one.
Can this offense afford to have both Ross and Jr. out of the line-up at the same time? If we make the play-off's, do you want LaRue catching Harang game 1 and 5? It would be a good day to get use to Ross catching you, and keep his bat in the line-up. To heck with "personal catchers."

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 01:01 PM
This may sound blasphemous, but I'd even consider trading Ross this offseason while his value is at its highest. We'd get next to nothing for LaRue, who is still guaranteed $5 million in 2007. There's a solid chance that '06 is just Dave's Year of 1999 Taubensee and that he'll go back to being Todd Greene/Bruce Bochy Jr. next season.

Just throwing that out there.

If we could get some good pitching for him I wouldn't hesitate to trade him. Ross' year has come outta nowhere and he could just as easily revert back to career norms.

RedsMan3203
08-20-2006, 01:03 PM
4 pages and we haven't hit 1st pitch yet.... Yesssssssss

reds44
08-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Lets try this one.
Can this offense afford to have both Ross and Jr. out of the line-up at the same time? If we make the play-off's, do you want LaRue catching Harang game 1 and 5? It would be a good day to get use to Ross catching you, and keep his bat in the line-up. To heck with "personal catchers."
Yes. I would start LaRue Game 7 of the World Series if Harang was starting.

Griffey needs a day off. How you are arguing that is beyond me. A day game after a night game is the perfect time.

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 01:05 PM
To heck with "personal catchers."

If we never used the "personal catchers" philosophy, Ross wouldn't have been getting any playing time from the start. The only reason he was ever in the line-up at the start was that LaRue got injured and Arroyo needed a catcher to get used to. Because of Arroyo's success, Ross was kept in the line-up which gave Ross a chance to prove himself and led to Ross becoming the primary catcher as a result of his hitting prowess.

GridironGrace
08-20-2006, 01:08 PM
You know at somepoint.. RUN SUPPORT needs to out wiegh "Personal Catcher"

Ross is ripping crap up this season but he cant do that on the bench.

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 01:08 PM
D-Dirt....... Is TH's numbers included with CLE? Beacuse that looks muy malo.

I guess in watching Deno...when he looks bad, he looks so bad hitting that it never seems like he gets a hit or knows how to hit.

George.....when is a Reds win ever not "in spite" of JN?

You take out Milton......before the 6th....when you have already had a really short outing by Milanovich the day before??
Talk about MM QB to the ultimate......i can see having a short leash with Mila......but Bay could have done that in the `1st inning also against Milton......you take him out then too?

You have a 6 run lead in the 1st.....You should expect your starter, especially the way Milton has been pitching, to at least give you 5-6 innings and get you the win. He still pulled out Milton a lot sooner that he has been.....and the bullpen came through.
No high five on the way he used his bullpen? They came through in spite of jerry?

The only debate you can have is using Franklin more than he should......I hope that Matt relieves him of this usage....but at the same time...Matt needs to step up his pitching for Jerry to at least trust him to do so.

George Foster
08-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Yes. I would start LaRue Game 7 of the World Series if Harang was starting.

Griffey needs a day off. How you are arguing that is beyond me. A day game after a night game is the perfect time.

I am not arguing Griffey, just Griffey and Ross the same game. And the last time I checked, the object of the game was to OUTSCORE the other team, not out pitch them.

Thank God you won't be making the decision for game 7. I honestly think that Jerry would tell Harang to "suck it up...I'm starting Ross, it's freaking game 7."

reds44
08-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I am not arguing Griffey, just Griffey and Ross the same game. And the last time I checked, the object of the game was to OUTSCORE the other team, not out pitch them.

Thank God you won't be making the decision for game 7. I honestly think that Jerry would tell Harang to "suck it up...I'm starting Ross, it's freaking game 7."
Then how about we traded Harang and Arroyo for some bats? Who needs pitching? Ho wabout we just carry 25 hitters?

Somebody had this stat. When Harang starts we are something like 5 games over .500, and when Ross starts we are under 500.

GridironGrace
08-20-2006, 01:11 PM
We NEED THIS SERIES.. i dont rest anyone today... thats how bad we need this.....we need a series win here badly.. and i hope we can get it with this lineup.

Larue, was hurt at the start of the season and if you ask me has NEVER found his swing since.... spot start him.. and lets let Ross have his year....

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 01:12 PM

What difference does it make?

It just makes us that much stronger for the next opponent (Houston), which are even more important. Both these guys wont need rests in that series.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 01:13 PM
What difference does it make?

It just makes us that much stronger for the next opponent (Houston), which are even more important. Both these guys wont need rests in that series.

Ross doesn't need rest.

GridironGrace
08-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Yea no joke... Ross has had plenty of rest all season so Larue could play and go 0-4

Patrick Bateman
We NEED THIS SERIES.. i dont rest anyone today... thats how bad we need this.....we need a series win here badly.. and i hope we can get it with this lineup.

Larue, was hurt at the start of the season and if you ask me has NEVER found his swing since.... spot start him.. and lets let Ross have his year....

Why is this series any more important than the others. Every game from here on in is extremely important, but resting guys is still needed if you want them to be effective for the stretch run.

Because of the opponent, this game is probably one of the least important (by comparison) games remaining IMO.

Tony Cloninger
If Harang does not pitch well......even with Griff and Ross in the lineup.....you expect the reds to roll 7+ runs...no problem?

Even with both in the lineup.....until last night...it's 2 runs here...3 runs there...a 6 or 7 spot...then back to 1-2 or 3 runs the next day.

Harang is no maddux, in his prime.....Maddux always hated having Javy Lopez catch him. Not saying Harang hates having Ross catch him...but if a personal catcher get's you pitching better...you can suffer 1 less bat in the lineup.
Even 2.

westofyou
08-20-2006, 01:15 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/baseball/20chass.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

“Johnny Bench came along,” Torre said, “and he just changed the whole perception again on how catchers can play both sides of the ball as well as he did, and now, we try to protect catchers as best we can. It’s pretty much an unwritten rule that on Sunday, the catchers get off. It’s healthier, it’s better. Everything is pretty tough today as far as the traveling and the schedule.”

PuffyPig
And the last time I checked, the object of the game was to OUTSCORE the other team, not out pitch them.

If that was true, won't we start Ross at pitcher rather than Harang becuase he's a better hitter??

If you out pitch the other team, you're going to win just as many as out hitting them.

George Foster
D-Dirt....... Is TH's numbers included with CLE? Beacuse that looks muy malo.

I guess in watching Deno...when he looks bad, he looks so bad hitting that it never seems like he gets a hit or knows how to hit.

George.....when is a Reds win ever not "in spite" of JN?

You take out Milton......before the 6th....when you have already had a really short outing by Milanovich the day before??
Talk about MM QB to the ultimate......i can see having a short leash with Mila......but Bay could have done that in the `1st inning also against Milton......you take him out then too?

You have a 6 run lead in the 1st.....You should expect your starter, especially the way Milton has been pitching, to at least give you 5-6 innings and get you the win. He still pulled out Milton a lot sooner that he has been.....and the bullpen came through.
No high five on the way he used his bullpen? They came through in spite of jerry?

The only debate you can have is using Franklin more than he should......I hope that Matt relieves him of this usage....but at the same time...Matt needs to step up his pitching for Jerry to at least trust him to do so.

He was at 92 pitches I believe before the Bay at-bat, who had already hit him earlier. Sanchez just got his 2nd hit off of him. Milton was done. Coffey was in the bull pen ready.

My question to you is if you think Milton needed to be left in there to pitch to Bay, then I guess you were upset when Narron took him out after ther 3 run bomb...right?

GridironGrace
08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Mainly because STL got Swept by them? And thier playing the cubs 2nite who beat them yesterday.. which means if we WIN THIS SERIES and STL Loses theres we've done something.... Houston is gonna be the same thing.. we need 2/3 atleast.

Look at our schedule... at the end of the season we are gonna be where we are at the end of this month more than likely Lots of key wildcard games to finish this month and the first week of next month.

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I know LaRue's had a bad season, but it's not like one subpar year means that he's lost all ability to be a major-league catcher.

He'd been pretty consistent for the last four or five years in a row, and never got untracked this year after starting late due to the knee injury.

If the Reds trade him away and he gets to catch 110 games next year, he'll be the LaRue of old. I'd place more money on that than I would David Ross homering every ten at-bats for 110 games in 2007.

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Ah, it's softball-jersey day at GABP.

Matt700wlw
Error on Eddie.....right or wrong.

Matt700wlw
Ah, it's softball-jersey day at GABP.

It's Mr. Potato Head day actually :)

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 01:20 PM
EdE... still not all the way there with the glove. He's lucky Duffy wasn't feeling adventurous.

NJReds
08-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Error on Eddie.....right or wrong.

Right. Even with the bobble, he nearly had a shot.

Yuck... another infield hit.

OnBaseMachine
WOW! Aurilia is awful at SS.

Matt700wlw
This isn't the ideal start...

Doc. Scott
Good throw from LaRue on the steal attempt, but Harang's slow to the plate and it was a little high. But strong.

Aurilia fielded the play just fine, but he was playing deep and the ball wasn't hit very hard. I don't think most SS would have made than an out, necessarily.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 01:22 PM

So's Clayton (at least he has been) :yikes:

westofyou
Surprise.... your coach is a pumpkin!!

NJReds
Was Aurilia playing in RF? Seemed like he charged forever to get that ground ball.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Despite being the third worst hitting team in baseball this year, the Pirates sure have hit Harang well.

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 01:25 PM
George.....you know who i was upset at?

Milton......not JN.....i get upset at players who cannot do their job....more than a manager, who while he may make some crazy moves (as many managers have and continue to do)... I put the onus on the players.

Milton was given a 6 run lead......he should at least give you 6 INN at 3 runs or less.....4 at worst. It was on him......bottom line....more than the manager, to come through. Are the % higher that Bray hits Milton there more than Coffey....probably....but then you might as well not count on Milton for anything and turn this pitching staff into Bunning (Harang) and Short (Arroyo) for the rest of the year.

Sparky did not care who's feelings he hurt.....and was very good at pulling pitcher's.......he also had a WAY better bullpen than this.

But he would have drove you insane with how many times Plummer played for Bench.....Flynn for Morgan.....and Rettenmund for Griffey.

Matt700wlw
Nice pitch

NJReds
Despite being the third worst hitting team in baseball this year, the Pirates sure have hit Harang well.

Should be two out nobody on.

He just K'd the league's leading hitter...he should be out of the inning.

membengal
08-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Sanchez Ks on a nasty high fastball. Two on, one out, Bay up.

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 01:27 PM
DP needed.....pitch count must remain low......bullpen needs to not worry about this game until the 8th.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Got Bay too...

92mph heater.

membengal
08-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Bay Ks, Harang bearing down, nice fastball again.

When Harang's velocity is up, he's tough.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 01:29 PM
HELL of a job!!!

Wow!

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 01:29 PM
There's that classic exaggerated, looping swing that's made me wonder how in the world Jeromy Burnitz has hit enough to stay in the league for a decade.

NJReds
08-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Harang looks sharp today.

membengal
Harang Ks Burnitz on another heater.

Damn fine comeback for the closest thing this team has to an ace.

reds44
He Gone!
He Gone!
and
He Gone!

Way to battle back Harang.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Great bounceback from Harang. 161 strikeouts in 168.1 innings this year, which puts him on pace for 200+ strikeouts. I can't remember the last time a Reds pitcher did that...probably Rijo?

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Many, many pitches in the first for Aaron.

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 01:32 PM
It was Rijo......almost lead the leauge in K's in 1993.....got beat out by Andy Benes. A true....underachiever.

PuffyPig
08-20-2006, 01:32 PM
There's that classic exaggerated, looping .......

Gee, I first thought you were referring to one of OBM's posts.....:laugh:

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Gee, I first thought you were referring to one of OBM's posts.....:laugh:

No, all I see is this:

This message is hidden because OnBaseMachine is on your ignore list.

LincolnparkRed
08-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Nothing like watching f-16's buzz by while watching the gamecast of the reds

It's Air and Water show weekend here

membengal
08-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Freel flies out to left on a line drive.

Hatte grounder to 3b, for the second out.

EE singles to center.

Dunn up.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 01:37 PM
EE got a hit?

Does he do anything else?

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 01:38 PM
I never have understood the "ignore list".....must be like a real bad S List.

I read them all......good, bad, ugly and just plain out there.

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 01:39 PM
EE got a hit?

Does he do anything else?

Makes a few throwing errors?

Matt700wlw
I hate when Dunn does that.....drives me nuts.

membengal
Dunn Ks looking.

0-0 heading to the second.

OnBaseMachine
Dunn has been absolutely awful since being dropped from the second spot. This has been his worst month of his career.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 01:41 PM
BTW, Edwin Encarnacion is my team MVP this year. He's been one of the few consistent players the Reds have.

membengal
08-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Nady pops out to LaRue. One out.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 01:42 PM
BTW, Edwin Encarnacion is my team MVP this year. He's been one of the few consistent players the Reds have.

Him or Freel....

membengal
08-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Dunn has been absolutely awful since being dropped from the second spot. This has been his worst month of his career.

Perhaps he should be returned to the spot from which he was so comfortable? Just a wacky thought...

NJReds
Nady fouls out to LaRue.

NJReds
Castillo flies out to Freel.

TheBigLebowski
08-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Perhaps he should be returned to the spot from which he was so comfortable? Just a wacky thought...

You nutjob....that's not the way things are done around here.

membengal
08-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Fly out for _____, missed it, to CF. Two outs, none on, Cota up.

edit: Flyout for Castillo.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Although Chris Michalak is penciled in as Wednesday's starter....Wayne tells Hal McCoy that it doesn't neccessarily mean he will start Wednesday.

LincolnparkRed
Fly out for _____, missed it, to CF. Two outs, none on, Cota up.
Insert Castillo and you are caught up

OnBaseMachine

Agreed. I was really hoping Narron would leave him in the second spot where he could get better pitches to hit in an attempt to cut down on his prolonged slumps.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
1-2-3 inning for Harang.

NJReds
Cota flies out to Freel. 1-2-3 for Harang.

27 pitches for Harang through two.

reds44
Although Chris Michalak is penciled in as Wednesday's starter....Wayne tells Hal McCoy that it doesn't neccessarily mean he will start Wednesday.
He better not start.

OnBaseMachine
LaRue is going deep today, btw.

membengal
08-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Cota out, three up, three down.

0-0 heading to bottom of second.

LincolnparkRed
08-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I may be behind here but I thought we were getting Shawn Chacon today?? Bad new for us I guess

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 01:48 PM
LaRue is going deep today, btw.

Deep as in HR, or deep as in his sinking batting average? :evil:

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I may be behind here but I thought we were getting Shawn Chacon today?? Bad new for us I guess

Santos pitched pretty well against us as a Brewer, although his numbers are never particularly good overall.

LincolnparkRed
08-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Aurilia is battling

NJReds
08-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Good AB for Rich. Fouls off a bunch before grounding a single to left.

OnBaseMachine
Good atbat by Rich results in a single.

membengal
Aurila up, Aurilia battles, Aurilia fouls off a number of pitches, and Aurilia lines a single to left. Nice at-bat.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Hollandsworth is worthless. As is Clayton. So in reality the Reds have 23 players on the roster.

NJReds
Good morning, good afternoon, goodnight. Nice way to waste 2 minutes Hollandsworth.

membengal
Hollandsworth up, but Ks.

NJReds
Why is Hollandsworth batting ahead of Phillips???

membengal
For what it's worth, it was a nasty pitch on Hollandsworth.

Phillips up.

We all still heart him.

LincolnparkRed
08-20-2006, 01:55 PM
So anybody have the insite on why we would trade for Hollandsworth?? More scrappy badness

BoydsOfSummer
Todd has made alot of cash off that rookie-o-the-year award years ago.

NJReds
Phillips lines a double to left. 2nd and 3rd w/1 out.

membengal
Phillips doubles.

We all heart him even more now.

I will yield the pbp to NJ, so as not to clutter the board.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Why is Hollandsworth batting ahead of Phillips???

I was just asking myself the same thing.

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Membengal.....it ain't worth a darn..... TH needs to go 4 for 4...for anyone to give him any slack at all....considering he is hitting like a poor man's reggie taylor.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Two bad strike calls on LaRue.

NJReds
I wonder if LaRue can make contact here and get a run in? The fact that they're pitching to him instead of walking the bases loaded for Harang is telling of his struggles.

Matt700wlw
LaRue does what he does...

NJReds
08-20-2006, 01:58 PM
LaRue looks foolish. Has any hitter been in a bigger funk?

dsmith421
Todd has made alot of cash off that rookie-o-the-year award years ago.

He's been a reliable LH bench bat for a lot of ballclubs and has a World Series ring. His atrocious start with the Reds shouldn't overshadow the fact that he is a useful player.

membengal
Boy, it's hard to watch LaRue hit right now. Really really hard.

I have censored the other things I just said out loud.

OnBaseMachine
2nd and 3rd, 1 outs, and zero runs to show for it. Only the Reds.

LincolnparkRed
Wow what crappy professional at bats we get from Todd and Jason. Any chance we can DFA them in the next two weeks?

PuffyPig
Hollandsworth is worthless. As is Clayton. So in reality the Reds have 23 players on the roster.

Clayton had 2 very important hits last night, and a number of very good fielding plays.

Doc. Scott
Well, at least he chucked the bat.

Wheelhouse
Hollandsworth 0-9, 6Ks as a Red...if he doesn't get a hit today, can anyone spell DFA?

TheBigLebowski
08-20-2006, 01:59 PM
LaUSELESS

CTA513
08-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Hollandsworth hasnt had a hit since joining the Reds and hes batting before Phillips?

:ughmamoru

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Clayton had 2 very important hits last night, and a number of very good fielding plays.

He also has a .296 OBP with the Reds.

Matt700wlw
Hollandsworth 0-9, 6Ks as a Red...if he doesn't get a hit today, can anyone spell DFA?

Dee Eff Aye...

reds44
He also owns lefties.

membengal
Frustrating inning. Really frustrating.

LaRue's year has been deeply puzzling, I would assume it all goes back to the bad knee to start the season, but he has really been in freefall mode at the plate for a long time now.

CrackerJack
08-20-2006, 02:01 PM

Should be a part time player, as he seems to be now. Castro really shouldn't be here.

membengal
Sorry, NJ and I seem to be crossing signals, to tidy up the inning, Larue Ks on four pitches, Harang Ks on 7, two runners stranded.

0-0 heading to the third.

OnBaseMachine
He also owns lefties.

He also has a career .681 OPS and is a bad defensive player.

PuffyPig
08-20-2006, 02:03 PM

This year he has a .393 OBA vs. LH pitching.

If you actually look at a more complete set of stats, you'll often find that even below average players have some value in certain circumstances.

dsmith421
Castro really shouldn't be here.

I disagree for a number of reasons, but quibbling about the roster at this stage is pretty pointless. In 10 days we'll have more than enough bodies on the bench.

reds44
He also has a career .681 OPS and is a bad defensive player.
Yes I know.

Nobody hates Royce Clayton more then me.

That being said he is a useful player vs. LHP.

membengal
Harang not able to throw strikes to Santos, falls behind 3-0, then pumps three straight strikes.

One out, top of the order up.

membengal
08-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Duffy out on an attempted bunt hit.

Two outs.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 02:04 PM
This year he has a .393 OBA vs. LH pitching.

If you actually look at a more complete set of stats, you'll often find that even below average players have some value in certain circumstances.

And yet, he's still a very bad player and a waste of a roster spot.

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 02:05 PM

Dunn: 0-9 5 Ks in his last 9 at bats. Should we DFA him too?

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Hard to defend anything that Todd or laRue did in that inning.

The only good thing for Todd was that he did not hit into a DP.

And LaRue......is incapable of sitiuational hitting.

membengal
08-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Wilson up and bloops a single to center on a 1-2 pitch.

Two out, one on, Sanchez up.

TheBigLebowski
08-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Dunn: 0-9 5 Ks in his last 9 at bats. Should we DFA him too?

I think Dunn's past performance is a little bit better than Hollandsworth's.

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 02:07 PM
They gave Norris Hopper #30. Looks a little funny to see a guy who's 5'9"/200# wearing it.

membengal
Sanchez bloops one to right, looks dangerous, but Phillips makes the testy over-the-shoulder catch look routine.

0-0 heading to the bottom of the third.

NJReds
Nice over the shoulder catch by Phillips on a little bloop. End of the inning.

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 02:08 PM
I think Dunn's past performance is a little bit better than Hollandsworth's.

The point is, 9 at-bats is hardly a fair way to gauge a player's value.

If Krivsky liked the idea of getting Hollandsworth, I'm betting he's going to give him more than 9 at-bats before he DFA's him.

dsmith421
08-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Let's get some runs. We need this one, boyos.

membengal
08-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Freel opens the third with a hit to center.

0 outs, one on. Hatte up.

membengal
08-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Given how many times Santos threw over to first when EE was there, we may be here awhile now that Freel is on first...

NJReds
08-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Does Santos need a written invitation from the catcher before he throws a pitch?

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Hatte!!!!

:jump:

NJReds
Hatte turns on one to give the Reds a 2-0 lead.

CrackerJack
The Hatte strikes again

membengal
08-20-2006, 02:12 PM
hatte rips one out to right.

2-0 Reds.

Gallen5862
The Hat with a 2 run Homerun.

NJReds
Santos was so worried about Freel, he forgot about concentrating on the hitter.

reds44
HaTTE!!!!

2-0!

Kc61
Day of rest helped the Hat. Also this Pirates pitcher. Reds should get another 14 against this guy.

TheBigLebowski
Hatte Loses One!!

dsmith421
Pickin' Machine

NJReds
08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
EE walks. Santos wanted nothing to do with him.

Matt700wlw
Eddie's on base again.

He's boring :D

reds44
EE on base again.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Nice shot, Hat.

membengal
08-20-2006, 02:14 PM
EE walks, Dunn up.

PuffyPig
08-20-2006, 02:15 PM
And yet, he's still a very bad player and a waste of a roster spot.
Last night, in a game that some posters had already given up on (you know one of them well), Clayton knocked in the winning run and sparked a 7 run inning.

That doesn't cry waste.

TheBigLebowski
Time to do something, AD.

dsmith421
I love that kid. I have never rooted for a Red harder than old #12.

OnBaseMachine
Dunn homers!

Matt700wlw
It's a Dunn deal.

:dunn:

:jump:

NJReds
08-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Dunn clubs a 2-run homer. Just gets into the first row of the Sun Deck.

TheBigLebowski
That's right, Adam...do as I tell you.

membengal
Dunn Homerun.

4-0.

reds44
Dunn!!!!

4-0!

I love this ballpark!

Gallen5862
Dunn with a 2 run Homerun.

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Santos shouted "shucks"

:p:

TheBigLebowski
Santos shouted "shucks"

:p:

LOL..did he really??

NJReds
Infield hit for Richie. Nice attempt by Wilson, though.

Tony Cloninger
08-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Way to smell the fear of the pitcher and pounce on him like meat in the water.

Kc61
Hollandsworth. If you can't hit this guy now, you can't hit anymore. I stuck up for you early in the thread. Time to come through.

Matt700wlw
LOL..did he really??

Well, it rhymed with Shuck....

reds44
5 straight guys have reached base.

membengal
NJ, I am pretty delayed on the computer feed at this point, go ahead with the pbp.

NJReds
Wow...Hollandsworth made contact. Flyout to left.

OnBaseMachine
Last night, in a game that some posters had already given up on (you know one of them well), Clayton knocked in the winning run and sparked a 7 run inning.

That doesn't cry waste.

Jimmy Haynes and Dave Williams once had a couple good games, I guess they were waste's either then?

dsmith421
Paul Dunnyan and his blue ox Edwin roamed the land, spreading peace and understanding.

reds44
Well, it rhymed with Shuck....
:lol:

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 02:19 PM
I note that nobody is upset that Dunn expanded the strike zone and swung at ball 4. :lol:

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Paul Dunnyan and his blue ox Edwin roamed the land, spreading peace and understanding.

Grooooan.

TheBigLebowski
08-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Hollandsworth...ugh

PuffyPig
Jimmy Haynes and Dave Williams once had a couple good games, I guess they were waste's either then?

The year that Haynes won 15 games for us, did you consider him a waste of a roster spot that year?

NJReds
BP check swing results in a groundball to 3rd...Bucs turn two. Reds up 4-0 after 3.

dsmith421
Grooooan.

But seriously folks. Take my wife, no really. Tip your waitresses, I will be here all the week!

membengal
That dp notwithstanding, Brandon Phillips' season has been simply stunning. No matter how you slice it. Absolutely a bolt of pure goodness out of nowhere. Love baseball for stuff like this.

OnBaseMachine
I note that nobody is upset that Dunn expanded the strike zone and swung at ball 4. :lol:

Possibily the first time I've ever seen Dunn get a hit on a ball out of the strikezone. And that's not a bad thing - most hitters are like that.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 02:21 PM
The year that Haynes won 15 games for us, did you consider him a waste of a roster spot that year?

Did you consider Dave Williams a waste of a roster spot this year?

Matt700wlw
08-20-2006, 02:22 PM

Well, in that case....

BOOOOOOOOOO! :D

NJReds
08-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Jason Bay hits a solo shot just over the CF wall. 4-1 Reds.

TheBigLebowski
Cubs/STL underway.

membengal
Is that 37 homeruns for Dunn now? If he has one more nuclear hot streak in him, he still has a chance to get to 50 homeruns this year.

He has had one of the best starts to his Reds career of any player I can think of at least until you get back to the Red Machine years.

Also amazing.

Matt700wlw
Harang. Don't pull a Milton.

Thank you.

PuffyPig

:thumbup:

Don't you know that results are everything?

A batter does a better job hitting a soft grounder for the fluke infield hit than a sceaming liner in which the CF makes a diving catch on.

Reds/Flyers Fan

Williams pitched a very nice game yesterday vs. the Rockies. Wonder why we didn't get anything remotely close to that production?

Kc61
08-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Pirates need a catcher. Think they would trade Bay for Larue?. I'd even give them Ross. Or both.

reds44
GABP giveth, GABP taketh away.

NJReds
That dp notwithstanding, Brandon Phillips' season has been simply stunning. No matter how you slice it. Absolutely a bolt of pure goodness out of nowhere. Love baseball for stuff like this.

Seems like "starting at 2B, Tony Womack" was so long ago.

NJReds
I think Burnitz starts swinging before the pitcher releases the ball.

PuffyPig
08-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Did you consider Dave Williams a waste of a roster spot this year?

It certainly turned out that way.

NJReds
Burnitz flies out to Hollandsworth. 1 out.

Doc. Scott
Williams pitched a very nice game yesterday vs. the Rockies. Wonder why we didn't get anything remotely close to that production?

Because Dave-O was hurt when we had him. He went on the DL within a couple of weeks of the time we traded him to NY.

OnBaseMachine
Pirates need a catcher. Think they would trade Bay for Larue?. I'd even give them Ross. Or both.

The Pirates have Paulino and Doumit and Neil Walker in the minors. Why do they need a catcher?

NJReds
AFLAC Trivia: Since 1959 who are the four Cincinnati Reds to lead the NL in doubles?