PDA

View Full Version : sept. call ups

baseball_chick
08-20-2006, 12:30 PM
just wondering what everyone's oppinion is, as to who is in line for a sept. call up when the roster expands....and DON'T say Homer Bailey b/c we all know that's not happening until next year....

Tommyjohn25
08-20-2006, 12:36 PM
just wondering what everyone's oppinion is, as to who is in line for a sept. call up when the roster expands....and DON'T say Homer Bailey b/c we all know that's not happening until next year....

This is a good thread, I was thinking about starting this myself. For those of you with the wealth of knowledge in the Reds minor leagues, how much better can the big club get come September?

Cedric
08-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Olmedo, Denorfia, Shack, and Gosling are a few possibilities.

Votto is a reach, but possible.

Tommyjohn25
08-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Olmedo, Denorfia, Shack, and Gosling are a few possibilities.

Votto is a reach, but possible.

Eh...nothing too exciting there, I would LOVE to see Votto up however.

OnBaseMachine
08-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Eh...nothing too exciting there, I would LOVE to see Votto up however.

Me too.

thorn
08-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't think, with the Reds being in a pennant race, you will see a lot of callups. They will not use any position players so they most likely will not call them up to sit on the bench, maybe a few pitchers to add depth, but it will probably be the usual suspect, standridge, shack and probably Denorfina.

LoganBuck
08-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Olmedo
Denorfia
Shack
Watson
I like Dumatrait as a long man. No sense in letting a fifth starter get beat around might as well have someone that can fill a need.
I like Votto too. I lefthanded bat with pop off the bench would be nice.

Add Majewski, and Standridge as well from the DL.

Narron would be hard pressed to use all the players on the roster in one game, but I have no doubt he can do it.

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm not so sure about Olmedo. I think he's gone before Opening Day 2007 (out of options).

Denorfia, Standridge, either Hopper or Watson (basically the same player- Hopper had a better season, but Watson's three years younger), and Shackleford. I'd like to see Dumatrait, but he hasn't exactly been dominating the IL.

Louisville is still in the hunt for a playoff spot, so that might affect things as well. They haven't been very good the past two years before this, so it's possible Wayne might let their main cogs stick around an extra 1-2 weeks after the 1st to finish the season.

mth123
08-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Balfour, Ramirez, Brendan Harris, maybe Abad. Deno, Standridge, Majewski, Shack, Watson as a Pinch Runner.

Nugget
08-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Balfour has been moved to the 60 day so you probably won't see him. Given some of the recent moves Olmedo, Harris and Deno will probably get the call ups from the position players with Shack, EZ and Magic being the pitchers. I'm pretty sure that you have to be on the 40 man to get the call up so I don't think Abad will be called in.

Doc. Scott
08-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Forgot about Brendan Harris. He definitely deserves a callup.

Danny Serafini
08-20-2006, 10:07 PM
If the Reds stay in it until the end I'd imagine there are a whole lot of callups. Krivsky's already said he's been told money is not an issue, and as beat up as the pitchers have been they'll want as many fresh arms as possible. It wouldn't surprise me if there were darn near 40 players in the Reds dugout that final week. Here's my guesses on how it'll play out:

Pitchers

The only pitcher on the 40 man that I don't see having a legit chance for a callup is Jon Coutlangus, as I don't believe Krivsky will bring a pitcher straight up from AA. I'd expect Shackelford to come up Sept. 1, and Majewski and Standridge to be activated that day, with Guardado a couple of days later. I'd guess Gosling would come up after Louisville's season ended, including their playoffs if they make it. Dumatrait to me is 50/50. Not sure about the Lizard, he needs to get his act back together, so he may stay down through the end of Louisville's season as well before coming up. Balfour is an interesting case. Do they activate him in September and see if he can help, or leave him on the 60 day DL so they can use that loophole to add another pitcher to the playoff roster pool? I'm guessing the second option is what will happen. The only non 40 man roster pitcher I can see getting called up is Joe Mays (and I apologize for typing that). He's not any good, we all know that, but he could be useful burning up innings in a 10-2 game so the valuable pitchers can stay fresher. Maybe a guy like Salmon or Shearn comes up, Wayne's been known to surprise us, but I think anything like that is a big longshot to happen.

Catchers

None. Since they're already carrying three there's no reason for Miguel Perez to come up.

Infielders

Brendan Harris to me is a lock, if for no other reason than to let the Reds see what they traded for. Votto is another 50/50 one to me, he could make for a nice bat off the bench, but the may leave him dow depending on Chattanooga's playoff run. Maybe he comes up the last week of the season. I've got a gut feeling that Olmedo won't come up, though I can't really say why.

Outfielders

I think Brandon Watson will come up on Sept. 1 to be the designated pinch runner/late inning defensive replacement. Denorfia and Hopper are more important to Louisville's success, and you really only need one player to fill the role, so they'll stay down until Louisville's season comes to an end. Denorfia will then come back up, not sure about Hopper. I haven't listed any position players not currently on the 40 man, as I don't think any of them will get a callup.

Henry Clay
08-20-2006, 10:22 PM
My answer depends a little on what is done with Clayton and Hollandsworth between now and the end of the season and on the health of Guardado, Schoeneweis, and Cormier going forward. If Clayton is DFA'd, which has to be a possibility if Narron isn't going to play him in favor of RA, Brendan Harris and Olmedo look to have very good chances at getting promoted. I agree with everyone about Harris being a lock in light of "The Trade." Plus, Harris is hitting well right now. If any of the trio of Guardado/Schoeneweis/Cormier look like they can't be counted on in September and beyond, I see both Shackleford and Dumatrait being promoted. Brandon Watson and Denorfia should be promoted. Norris Hopper's addition to the 40 man roster and promotion for 3 games could get him a look, but AAA will need someone to play OF in the playoffs. Joey Votto's best chances at making the team probably rest with RA's chances of staying at SS. Votto bats RH, so he would be an alternative to Hatteberg in righty-lefty situations. Also, with RA playing full-time at SS, someone will need to spell Hatteberg at 1B.

Kc61
08-21-2006, 01:34 AM
I think it will be fewer than most folks think. I also think it will be almost exclusively the guys who have been up previously. Deno, Olmedo, Shack. Hopper maybe if he is in AAA. Possibly Standridge. The DL guys will come back when healthy.

No Votto. No Dumatrait. Nobody from AA.

Only guy who has not been a Red who I expect to get a call is Harris because he has played in the majors, has done well at AAA, and likely will be a Red next year.

If the Reds call up an inexperienced minor leaguer like Votto or Bailey it will be to watch.

KySteveH
08-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Balfour has been moved to the 60 day so you probably won't see him. Given some of the recent moves Olmedo, Harris and Deno will probably get the call ups from the position players with Shack, EZ and Magic being the pitchers. I'm pretty sure that you have to be on the 40 man to get the call up so I don't think Abad will be called in.
Balfour has been on the 60 all year, but I agree he won't we pitching this year in Cincy.

KySteveH
08-26-2006, 09:56 AM
or leave him on the 60 day DL so they can use that loophole to add another pitcher to the playoff roster pool?
What's this loophole?

redsmetz
08-28-2006, 04:12 AM
Louisville is only one game back in the IL standings. As much as the Reds can use some hlep, do they wait for the majority of call ups until after the IL post season ends (other than the ML guys on rehab?