PDA

View Full Version : How long before Hollandsworth is DFA'd?

UPRedsFan
08-20-2006, 02:01 PM
If Norris Hopper so much as grounds out as a pinch hitter in this game that should be enough. Get rid of Hollandsworth and keep him up here or call Deno back up. This is rediculous. TH has what.. 8 at bats and 7 K's?

Petitt33
08-20-2006, 02:06 PM
0-9 with 6 K's. :bang:

If he doesn't get at least one hit today, something must be done...

redsfan4445
08-20-2006, 02:07 PM
0-9 with 6 K's. :bang:

If he doesn't get at least one hit today, something must be done...

Reggie Sanders.. Jose Cruz Jr.!!

dougdirt
08-20-2006, 02:15 PM
What is even worse, is the fact that we actually are giving up someone in our system, or cash to have him.

James B.
08-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Is 9 at bats fair enough sample size to judge a player on?

dougdirt
08-20-2006, 02:31 PM
James B, probably not, but the rest of his season of a .250 on base percentage is. The guy has 4 walks in 166 at bats, and he is hitting .223. What good does that do any team? Much less a team in a playoff chase?

RedsFanInMD
08-20-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure who is worse right now, LaRue or Cousin Eddie -- er, Hollandsworth.

icehole3
08-20-2006, 03:27 PM
What is even worse, is the fact that we actually are giving up someone in our system, or cash to have him.

Im sure their list consists of Dan O'Brien types who Krispy would just cut anyway.

Joseph
08-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Im sure their list consists of Dan O'Brien types who Krispy would just cut anyway.

The only player he's given up that made me even pause for a moment was Ward, so I tend to agree with you, as far as minor leaguers.

dougdirt
08-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Maybe true, but we are still paying the guy about $200,000 to absolutely suck.
Its not like a Larue thing, we knew how bad this guy sucked when we went out and WANTED to get him.

Tom Lawless Fan
08-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Hollandford has been struggling in a new league give hims some time to use to playing for the national leagues at leased he doesnt have tatoos all over ike some of the guys that used to be here.:eek:

4256 Hits
08-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure who is worse right now, LaRue or Cousin Eddie -- er, Hollandsworth.

FYI LaRue has a higher OBP than Griffey. Jason is having a terrible year but is still getting OB at a .310 rate.

GOREDSGO32
08-20-2006, 04:41 PM
DFA him. Carry another pitcher, just for the hell of it it.

Brian
08-20-2006, 06:02 PM
It's not like he's going to start very often though. Once a week if that. Surely a batting average of .000 with the team isn't very good, but it is only 9 ABs and the Reds were thin in terms of LH pinch hitting.

dougdirt
08-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Hollandford has been struggling in a new league give hims some time to use to playing for the national leagues at leased he doesnt have tatoos all over ike some of the guys that used to be here.:eek:

What is your problem with tattoos? I promise you there are guys on this team with tattoos right now, and I bet they are just fine. A tattoo DOES NOT have anything to do with how you play the game

did someone with a tattoo beat you up once or something?

dougdirt
08-20-2006, 06:12 PM
It's not like he's going to start very often though. Once a week if that. Surely a batting average of .000 with the team isn't very good, but it is only 9 ABs and the Reds were thin in terms of LH pinch hitting.

True, but as a pinch hitter he is 2-21 this year, so that doesnt exactly work....

RedsMan3203
08-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Once again, anyone else missing Jacob Cruz right about now???

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 06:21 PM

Junior has tattoos, and I'm almost positive 25% or more have them as well.

lucky bugle boy
08-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Once again, anyone else missing Jacob Cruz right about now???

I absolutely never understood that move. JC was truly one of the game's best pinch hitters. I remember hearing him in an interview before the season, talking to Furball I think, about how he prepared as a pinch hitter, guys he'd talked to about being a good pinch hitter, and that guys actually were starting to come to him to ask about pinch hitting and I was very impressed with the guy's attitude and what seemed to be a great knowledge of his role. I think Valentin's a good pinch hitter, but having Cruz around would seem to make a lot more sense than the three-headed catching monster and Todd Hollandsworth. Just MO.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 06:38 PM
I wasn't pleased when we got Hollandsworth.. if we would of waited a little over a week we could of had Preston Wilson. Jose Cruz Jr was out there. And nobody mentions it but to be honest with you I'd rather take a flyer on Richard Hidalgo. Hollandsworth went 0-4 with a K bringing his total to 0-12 with 6 K's isn't what this club needs heading into a crucial time of the season. With that said I doubt Hollandsworth gets DFA'd just because Krivsky brought him in at the begining of this month.

fielder's choice
08-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Hollandsworthless.

lucky bugle boy
08-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Wayne hasn't had too much trouble DFA'ing guys he brought; pitchers at least. I think what happens with Hollandsworth and Clayton between now and Aug. 31 will be telling about the direction of the team for the rest of this season and next.

lucky bugle boy
08-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Hollandsworthless.

:ughmamoru

Always Red
08-20-2006, 07:37 PM
I predict: Sept 1

Always Red
08-20-2006, 07:39 PM
DFA him. Carry another pitcher, just for the hell of it it.
Good idea, then LaRue can play RF as the 4th outfielder.

flyer85
08-20-2006, 09:43 PM
too long

Crash Davis
08-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Is 9 at bats fair enough sample size to judge a player on?

Ask Denorfia. How many did he get?

Ask the Atlanta Braves. They made an identical August trade for Hollandsworth last season, believing they were getting a key lefty bat off the bench. Then they realized he didn't have anything left, so they told him to go home when they set their playoff roster.

He's done. There are scores of AAA bats stronger than his.

Patrick Bateman
08-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Considering Krisky liked the idea of getting Hollandsworth and thought he would be a good PH, I'm guessing a dozen of poor at-bats wont change his mind.

Whether you like it or not, he's here to stay for the remainder of the season especially since roster expansion is around the corner.

johngalt
08-20-2006, 11:08 PM

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but for anyone who actually would put forth the "adjusting to a new league" argument, let's remember that Hollandsworth is in his 12th year in the majors and the only time he's spent in the AL was a half-season with Texas in '02 and this year with Cleveland. Don't think that means he should need too much adjusting.

Reds1
08-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Just adding that I was at the game today and he hit two balls on the screws. One was a rope that went foul. He's just had some tough luck. Hey, he did win one game this year for us with his glove. I"m not saying I like him or even want him. I just say he did have some good AB and has had some tough luck. I feel more sorry for LaRue. He's clueless right now and the pressure is weighing on him bad.

LoganBuck
08-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Larue needs to open up his swing some. His stance is causing him to have to swing down on many balls, while diving across the plate. If he opens up a little his luck may change.....

redsupport
08-20-2006, 11:44 PM
hollandsworth is resembling dallas williams in futility

toledodan
08-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Good idea, then LaRue can play RF as the 4th outfielder.

i'm surprised nobody has brought that up untill now.

Razor Shines
08-21-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but for anyone who actually would put forth the "adjusting to a new league" argument, let's remember that Hollandsworth is in his 12th year in the majors and the only time he's spent in the AL was a half-season with Texas in '02 and this year with Cleveland. Don't think that means he should need too much adjusting.
I'm pretty sure the guy (Tom Lawless Fan) is a joke. There's got to be some inside joke because every I time see one of his stupid posts his rep has jumped up 30-40 points, and kaldanielsfan got kicked off, I think, for nearly the same type of posts. I've never complained about the rep system or for getting neg'd, and I'm not now, I'm just pointing out that something seems odd. If that's wrong I'm sorry.

redsmetz
08-21-2006, 09:35 AM
I agree he's been of little use (although that was a dandy catch he made in that one game), but the rosters are expanding in two weeks and if we're going to pay him, there's no sense cutting him.

Looking at his career, he's a bit of a mystery. Had some success with the Dodgers with a decent batting average, but didn't looking like he was overly productive as a hitter. Seems pretty young to be washed up. Looks destined to be a journeyman and probably not even that if he doesn't get it together.

registerthis
08-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Hollandford has been struggling in a new league

He was struggling mightily in a league he supposedly was quite familiar with prior to joining the Reds. I don't think "league adjustment" adequately explains his putrid play in Cincinnati.

demas863
08-21-2006, 10:14 AM

Ask the Atlanta Braves. They made an identical August trade for Hollandsworth last season, believing they were getting a key lefty bat off the bench. Then they realized he didn't have anything left, so they told him to go home when they set their playoff roster.

Very telling comment. End of subject as far as i'm concerned.

fielder's choice
08-21-2006, 01:55 PM
They're undefeated with him in the lineup. Just sayin'. ;)

zombie-a-go-go
08-21-2006, 04:05 PM
They're undefeated with him in the lineup. Just sayin'. ;)

Todd Hollandsworth = Lucky Rabbit's Foot.

I say we resign him for the ML minimum.

James B.
08-21-2006, 04:18 PM

The difference is that Hollandsworth has been a productive fourth outfielder for a while now. He is a lifetime .287 hitter off the bench. Denorfia is not used to that role.