PDA

View Full Version : Kruk: Reds have the WC's easiest schedule

Spitball
08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
John Kruk just stated that the Reds have the easiest remaining schedule for wild card contenders. :thumbup:

He also says he thinks they will win it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rocket_Fuel
08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Yeah, he picked the Cardinals to win the division basically because they have been there before (which I agree with). And I agree with him, I think the Reds will win the Wild Card. Winning the wild card would be huge, not only for ths year's team, but experience for the future as well. And, of course, we would be on the biggest stage with a shot a championship! If the Reds do well on the West Coast trip the sky's the limit!

top6
08-20-2006, 09:27 PM
the downside to this is that kruk is rarely right about anything.

goreds2
08-20-2006, 09:33 PM
John Kruk just stated that the Reds have the easiest remaining schedule for wild card contenders. :thumbup:

Actually, the Reds have the easiest remaining schedule of ANY team in MLB. ;)

George Foster
08-20-2006, 09:35 PM

He actually said that the Reds will win the Central division. He said they have hung around this long, and they will win the division. I think this is the kiss of death.:D

He did say that the Reds have the easiest schedule remaining of the wild card teams.

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Kruk showing love.. bet if we are leading the division in mid September he will say we will have the best shot at winning the division..

RedLegSuperStar
08-20-2006, 09:38 PM
He actually said that the Reds will win the Central division. He said they have hung around this long, and they will win the division. I think this is the kiss of death.:D

He did say that the Reds have the easiest schedule remaining of the wild card teams.

If thats the case just last month he said the Reds had no chance at winning the division

Henry Clay
08-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Winning the WC could be better than winning the division. If the Mets lose Glavine and Martinez but keep the best record based on what they have to date, the Reds coud be facing a weakened team in the first round of the playoffs. If the Reds win the division, they would likely play the Dodgers (if everything stayed equal as of today). The Dodgers are on fire and have a solid rotation and offense.

Unassisted
08-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Prolonged exposure to the 4-letter network is hazardous to your intelligence, precisely because of guys like Kruk being miscast there in the role of expert.

GOREDSGO32
08-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Well the Reds better learn how to take care of business against under .500 teams, and especially against West division teams, since we got a nice little slate ahead against practically every team in the division.

Jpup
08-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Kruk has been downing the Reds all season, wonder why he changed his opinion? He has said on numerous occasions that the Reds have little chance to make the playoffs.

Jpup
08-21-2006, 01:24 AM
Winning the WC could be better than winning the division. If the Mets lose Glavine and Martinez but keep the best record based on what they have to date, the Reds coud be facing a weakened team in the first round of the playoffs. If the Reds win the division, they would likely play the Dodgers (if everything stayed equal as of today). The Dodgers are on fire and have a solid rotation and offense.

I would rather face the Dodgers than the Mets. The Mets offense is outstanding, the Dodgers, not so much.

cincrazy
08-21-2006, 03:09 AM
I agree, the Mets lineup is tougher top to bottom. But on the same hand, the Dodgers lineup is still solid, and their rotation blows the Mets out of the water. I think the Mets will crumble under the expectations of an entire city. Everyone in NYC wants a Subway Series. I don't think the Mets live up to that with all of the injuries.

Gainesville Red
08-21-2006, 03:13 AM
the downside to this is that kruk is rarely right about anything.

He's the Lee Corso of baseball coverage.

When we watch College Gameday and Corso picks the Gators we boo him. It's a sure bet, The Curse of Corso.

Jpup
08-21-2006, 07:29 AM
He's the Lee Corso of baseball coverage.

except Corso has some entertainment value. John Kruk just doesn't.

thatcoolguy_22
08-21-2006, 07:47 AM
i like kruk but in the last week of may he picks the reds to win the division. 2 weeks later it is the cards he has destined for greatness. Coming out of the all-star break he had us as the WC and then LA came around and he said we didn't have much of a chance at all. he changes his mind quicker than the wind changes direction at the airfield i work at...

oneupper
08-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Beating the Mets in a playoff would be payback for 1973, when that 83 win team eliminated a very good 102 win Reds club.
Time for a little role reversal.

redsmetz
08-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Actually, the Reds have the easiest remaining schedule of ANY team in MLB. ;)

Of course, I hope they approach it as if they're playing the combined '27 Yankees and '76 Reds. These weaker teams have a way of coming back and biting you. During the BRM days, it always felt like the lowly Padres were giving us fits! As I used to tell my son when he still played ball, you have to play each game.

Roy Tucker
08-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Maybe it's a hangover from the 70's, but this upcoming 10 game West Coast trip for the Reds has me nervous. The Reds rarely play well out there.

4 with SF, 3 with LA, and 3 with SD. :scared:

Crosley68
08-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Let's see...........John Kruk and solid baseball analysis............solid baseball analysis and John Kruk........nope, I just can't see those two things together.

He may be right......he's got a 50/50 chance.

RedlegJake
08-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Beating the Mets in a playoff would be payback for 1973, when that 83 win team eliminated a very good 102 win Reds club.
Time for a little role reversal.

That would be nice but Harang and Arroyo will have some work to do to be our Seaver and Koosman.

TeamBoone
08-22-2006, 01:27 AM
It would also be payback for that one-game playoff against the Mets in 1999. What a heartbreaker.

oregonred
08-22-2006, 03:08 AM
IMO, schedule means little in the NL this season since the teams are so close. Heck even the Pirates aren't exactly a pushover looking at some of the key stat numbers. It's mainly about the pitching matchups in a given series. The Reds head-head results have proved the schedule and team records mean very little.

We look to be getting 7 games in a short period against SF when Bonds looks to be regaining some momentum (bad luck) and we'll have 6 total games vs. LA all after they retooled from the end of July deadline trades (bad luck). But we miss Schmidt this weekend (major good luck). I've now lost track of whether we're getting hosed or getting a break...

I've always against the unbalanced schedule where you play the entire seasonal series against the same team done over a 2-3 week stretch.

If I remember correctly the Cards dodged some bullets against the Giants/retooled Dodgers -- plus they hit the Mets this week minus both Pedro and Glavine.

What scares me is a brutal West Coast trip. Who made out the schedule that gives the Reds a 3-city west coast swing in late August with no off days at the beginning or end of the swing? Ouch!

REDREAD
08-22-2006, 05:57 AM
I've always against the unbalanced schedule where you play the entire seasonal series against the same team done over a 2-3 week stretch.

Great point. The whole scheduling thing is screwed up. If they are going to do interleague play, they need to go back to a balanced schedule. It's absurd to only play some NL teams 6 or 7 times, and play the Indians 6 games.

At bare minimum, if they insist on keeping the schedule unbalanced, how about putting some time between the two series? You're right, it's dumb that you often see a team only for two series, and those two series are within a week or two of each other.

MaineRed
08-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Who made out the schedule that gives the Reds a 3-city west coast swing in late August with no off days at the beginning or end of the swing? Ouch!

I'm in hurry this morning so I only had time to look up the Padres but they still have a 10 game trip to SF, then Cincy, then LA coming up, as well as a 7 game trip to St Louis and Arizona.

Earlier in the season they had a 10 day, no days off trip to SF, LA and Colorado.

Always Red
08-22-2006, 09:23 AM
EASY?

That's a laugher! Nothing has been easy for our beloved Redlegs this year, and I don't think any of us expect it to get any easier from here on out. This is going to go down to the wire, which is fine with me, since my expectations for this year were....well...kind of low.

I know he did not say it was going to be easy, but only that the Reds had the easiest schedule, but, nothing easy about this at all.

It's going to be a battle, day in and day out, just like it was last night.