PDA

View Full Version : Little leaguer "tapped" by coach after using foul language

adampad
08-21-2006, 01:48 PM
I was just watching some of the Little League WS when the announcers starting talking about this incident. They said a coach "tapped" a player on the head after he used some foul language. The entire thing was caught on tape and they played it. I wasnt paying full attention but it looked like a full backhand slap across the kids face to me. I was a little shocked and disgusted. Little League International only gave them a warning. Discuss....

TOBTTReds
08-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Atleast he wasn't hitting him for making a bad play. A "tap" on the head is nothing, if he slapped him, that is something else.

redhawkfish
08-21-2006, 02:03 PM
I haven't seen the tape, but the kid dropped the "F" bomb. If the coach actually smacked him, he should be done coaching! The only exception would be if it was his son. My dad coached me, and if I had dropped the "F" bomb to be heard on National TV, I would have received much worse.

Team Clark
08-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I haven't seen the tape, but the kid dropped the "F" bomb. If the coach actually smacked him, he should be done coaching! The only exception would be if it was his son. My dad coached me, and if I had dropped the "F" bomb to be heard on National TV, I would have received much worse.

Make that two of us.:laugh:

Whatever happened to slapping eachother on the butt?

adampad
08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Atleast he wasn't hitting him for making a bad play. A "tap" on the head is nothing, if he slapped him, that is something else.

I agree. Thats why I wasn't paying that much attention to it because it didnt sound like a big deal the way they were talking about it, but then I seen the tape. I think it was more than a tap.

Does anyone have a link to this story or have the video?

RollyInRaleigh
08-21-2006, 03:23 PM
It was the "F" bomb in loud, living color. I didn't notice that coach hit the kid very hard or with anything more than a little shove. I saw it live last night, but only once. Haven't seen any tape of the incident. Very embarrassing for the NY team.

redhawkfish
08-21-2006, 09:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/llws06/news/story?id=2556529

LoganBuck
08-21-2006, 10:14 PM
The kid deserved it. I doubt his long term emotional health will be affected.

Note to self: Don't use the F bomb on national TV.

FoReel
08-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow, I dont even think i had the guts to even, say it if i was alone at that age. He deserves it.

smith288
08-22-2006, 12:33 AM
I was around 5 and there was a fly bothering me and I made up a word by saying "i wish the fu%$er would leave me alone"

Sister told on me and my mom left a mark on my face that you wouldnt believe...

Didnt say it again until I was around 20, i think.

thorn
08-22-2006, 12:53 AM
It's only the begenning, as kids get more and more exposure on national TV they get cockier (SP?) and add MTV, their "Sports Idols" (Are there anymore good sports idols left), they think their TO. They need to take these games off TV all together, except the finals, IMO.

Jr's Boy
08-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Is there a link to the video?

SteelSD
08-22-2006, 02:12 AM
You do not strike a child. Ever. No matter how soft or hard. No child "deserves" to be touched in anger. Ever. A little league coach's primary responsibility is to mentor the children he oversees while understanding that those children will make mistakes. If that coach's primary instinct is to strike children who misbehave, then he shouldn't be coaching or mentoring youth in any capacity.

Children learn everything from those whom they respect and that includes any children within view of the respected adult's behavior. Respond to misbehavior with violence (regardless of how slight) and the viewers will most likely accept violence as a response to perceived transgressions they see daily. Apologies do not work to diminish the situation because kids aren't stupid. Kids understand what happened. And if there is no real punishment for the behavior, kids will adopt such behavior as their own. Not all, but some. And that's bad enough.

As soon as that coach touched that child in anger, he should have been ejected from the tournament and should be devoid of any future coaching prospects because his behavior was purely unacceptable. Should he still be coaching next year, then the blame for his non-dismissal falls at the feet of every parent who decided that winning was more important than the development of their children into real human beings.

Jpup
08-22-2006, 05:16 AM
You do not strike a child. Ever.

if it's his son, he is allowed to backhand him. Ask my Dad. It did not do any good, but he tried. :D

If it's someone else's kid, he should be in some trouble.

Roy Tucker
08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
A sign of the times.... The LLWS being put on 5 second delay because of profanity. What next, the national spelling bee?

adampad
08-22-2006, 09:53 AM
If its the parent, you can argue it was acceptable (I still lean towards unacceptable). But no way should a coach lay a hand on a kid.

If that was my child and seen the coach slap him the way he did, I'd have a BIG problem with it. I'd have more than a few "f" bombs for him.

smith288
08-22-2006, 06:55 PM
You do not strike a child. Ever. No matter how soft or hard. No child "deserves" to be touched in anger. Ever. A little league coach's primary responsibility is to mentor the children he oversees while understanding that those children will make mistakes. If that coach's primary instinct is to strike children who misbehave, then he shouldn't be coaching or mentoring youth in any capacity.

Children learn everything from those whom they respect and that includes any children within view of the respected adult's behavior. Respond to misbehavior with violence (regardless of how slight) and the viewers will most likely accept violence as a response to perceived transgressions they see daily. Apologies do not work to diminish the situation because kids aren't stupid. Kids understand what happened. And if there is no real punishment for the behavior, kids will adopt such behavior as their own. Not all, but some. And that's bad enough.

As soon as that coach touched that child in anger, he should have been ejected from the tournament and should be devoid of any future coaching prospects because his behavior was purely unacceptable. Should he still be coaching next year, then the blame for his non-dismissal falls at the feet of every parent who decided that winning was more important than the development of their children into real human beings.
Read my post (#10)

Worked like a charm for me and i still respect and love my mother dearly

Matt700wlw
08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Make that two of us.:laugh:

Whatever happened to slapping eachother on the butt?

Indecent behavior with a minor...

:)

Matt700wlw
08-22-2006, 07:02 PM
A sign of the times.... The LLWS being put on 5 second delay because of profanity. What next, the national spelling bee?

I can see it now....

Kid misspells a word by 1 letter and he tells the judge to go :censored: himself...

Matt700wlw
08-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Anyone see the 12 year old that's 6'8"?

Team Clark
08-22-2006, 09:00 PM

If he's 12 I'm 20:thumbdown

Coffeybro
08-22-2006, 10:27 PM

Well someone that has me beat at 12. I was only 6'2 then. Full height of 6'9" by 15.

harangatang
08-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Well someone that has me beat at 12. I was only 6'2 then. Full height of 6'9" by 15.Those Coffey genetics, whew.