PDA

View Full Version : 8/21/06: Reds vs. Astro-turf Game Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

kyred14
08-21-2006, 11:46 PM
FCB gets my vote for funniest poster.

Personally, I'll take Tom Lawless Fan. FCB has wayy to many tatoos and dredlots.

George Foster
08-21-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm not very good at that kind of stuff. My son, Austin Kearns, will do the honours. Stay tuned.

Puffy Pig and Ears are kin? anybody else?

PuffyPig
08-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Hey...where's ASTROBUDDY?
Check the above Astro board, he's a hated man there.

Falls City Beer
Personally, I'll take Tom Lawless Fan. FCB has wayy to many tatoos and dredlots.

I'm in a gan.

Patrick Bateman

Can't you see the resmblence between the two?

OnBaseMachine
08-21-2006, 11:48 PM
OMB gets my vote for biggest kiss butt. :evil: :help:

RBA gets my vote for biggest Aurilia butt kisser. :D

PuffyPig
08-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Can't you see the resmblence between the two?

Hey, I thought you were studying????

Patrick Bateman
08-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey, I thought you were studying????

As my friend Frankie would say: "Relax"

RBA
08-21-2006, 11:51 PM

I guess they are Canandian. They could be brothers too. :help:

MaineRed
08-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Instead, you call out a 16 year old kid who, btw, I'd wager 21 rep points probably knows more about the English language than you.

I never said a word about the kids English. If your talking about me writing, flusterating, it sure as heck didn't mean what you are implying it meant. And people want me to take it easy.

Cripes, I went to school with a kid who every now and then would mispeak. Someone would always follow up his mistake with some other mistake as a joke.

For instance: Are we going to Wal Bart?

Reply: Yeah, but first we are going to stop at RickDonalds.

It never set off WW3.

I could care less about spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes and other things of the sort as long as there are not 100 of them in each post. We all make mistakes.

Boss-Hog
08-21-2006, 11:54 PM
I rarely read the game threads, but if what has transpired on the last couple pages here between a handful of posters is the norm, I guess I'll have to start reading more often. These personal "battles" have absolutely no place on this board, particularly after such an exciting win, and should be handled privately, if at all. I don't expect to see this sort of thing again.

Patrick Bateman
08-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I guess they are Canandian. They could be brothers too. :help:

Just an FYI, in Canada we use the same joke, but the punchline is about people living in Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tenessee, or West Virginia. But never Ohio. ;)

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2006, 12:01 AM
I never said a word about the kids English. If your talking about me writing, flusterating, it sure as heck didn't mean what you are implying it meant. And people want me to take it easy.

Cripes, I went to school with a kid who every now and then would mispeak. Someone would always follow up his mistake with some other mistake.

For instance: Are we going to Wal Bart?

Reply: Yeah, but first we are going to RickDonalds.

It never set off WW3.

I could care less about spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes and other things of the sort as long as there are not 100 of them in each post. We all make mistakes.

Look, I'm willing to toss you the olive branch. I don't want to have an enemy.

I don't care for the fact that you insulted one of our regulars for questioning a very questionable move by insulting him while stating that you do not participate in game threads because of the negativity. The logical incongruities there are numerous.

I will offer my apology. I know you pride yourself on positivity. I love positive people. I do tend to swing towards the negative side of things a bit too often, but I am feeling really good tonight. This was a phenomenal win. I hope you understand where I was coming from in my criticism of your posts. Bottom line is that we are all rooting for the same team, and there are too many opposing fans out there for us to be fighting amongst ourselves. In that same vein, it would be nice if you offered Reds44 an apology.

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2006, 12:03 AM
I rarely read the game threads, but if what has transpired on the last couple pages here between a handful of posters is the norm, I guess I'll have to start reading more often. These personal "battles" have absolutely no place on this board, particularly after such an exciting win, and should be handled privately, if at all. I don't expect to see this sort of thing again.

You're 100% right, and I do apologize for my significant part in the melee.

VR
08-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Barroid Bonds just put the Gigantes up 1-0

OnBaseMachine
08-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Barroid Bonds just put the Gigantes up 1-0

The only time I've cheered for Barry Bonds in my life.

harangatang
08-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Edit: Thanks Boss-Hog

RFS62
08-22-2006, 12:12 AM
Hey, the Reds just drove a stake through the heart of the Astros with a thrilling late inning victory.

Don't be like this guy.

MaineRed
08-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Blueberries are big here and people sell them by the side of the road. Some of the signs say, "Blueberry's."

My wife comments on them every single time.

That picture from RFS made me think of that.

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Blueberries are big here and people sell them by the side of the road. Some of the signs say, "Blueberry's."

My wife comments on them every single time.

That picture from RFS made me think of that.

It would be quite hypocritical of you to ever comment on the negativity of a game thread again.

MaineRed
08-22-2006, 12:27 AM
It would be quite hypocritical of you to ever comment on the negativity of a game thread again.

:confused:

Not sure what you mean by this.

Because people don't know how to spell blueberries, I'm a hypocrite?

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2006, 12:32 AM
:confused:

Not sure what you mean by this.

I apologized to you. You passed over it and pointed out how some people up your way cannot accurately spell "blueberries." Who cares?

Forget it. Just make sure you stay scarce on the game threads.

Heath
08-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Wow -- turn off the computer for a while and 4 pages go postal. Yikes.

I don't have a vote for funniest person on the board. I don't have enough rep points.

Oh, BTW, RBA - i'm not interested in RA. - He'll need to stay at the Newport Travelodge once or hit the Game 7 walk-off HR in the Series.

MaineRed
08-22-2006, 12:43 AM
I apologized to you. You passed over it and pointed out how some people up your way cannot accurately spell "blueberries." Who cares?

Forget it. Just make sure you stay scarce on the game threads.

Forget it is right.

I'm not going to respond to threats from ordinary posters.

MaineRed
08-22-2006, 12:47 AM
He'll need to stay at the Newport Travelodge once or hit the Game 7 walk-off HR in the Series.

I'll never hit a HR in game 7 but I have spent a few nights at the very hotel you mention.

Not sure what your joke is about but I know there were some sketchy things going on in and around the place when we were there.

:eek:

smith288
08-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Boss busted y'all... time to take your little arguments off line and cool off. Lord have mercy

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Forget it is right.

I'm not going to respond to threats from ordinary posters.

Dunno what threat I made, but you are correct that I am an ordinary poster.

Do your best to improve the grammar up there, including your own.

WVRedsFan
08-22-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm not very good at that kind of stuff. My son, Austin Kearns, will do the honours. Stay tuned.

Strange. Puffy Pig has a son named Austin Kearns on this board and I have a son named Adam Dunn here.

I hope he's getting his share of the big money cause I ain't. :laugh:

WVRedsFan
08-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Just an FYI, in Canada we use the same joke, but the punchline is about people living in Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tenessee, or West Virginia. But never Ohio. ;)

Now you've done it. Remember Danny Graves. His comments about us was the beginning of his downfall. Beware...

harangatang
08-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Do your best to improve the grammar up there, including your own.Please take it private. What a great way to disrepect the Reds win tonight and this board over a typographical error. We all make them. Get over it.

Patrick Bateman
08-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Now you've done it. Remember Danny Graves. His comments about us was the beginning of his downfall. Beware...

:lol:

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Please take it private. What a great way to disrepect the Reds win tonight and this board over a typographical error. We all make them. Get over it.

You obviously don't understand the context. Read the thread.

harangatang
08-22-2006, 01:25 AM
You obviously don't understand the context. Read the thread.I have read the game thread and you know this thread makes me laugh for one reason. The reason the game threads went from the Reds Live to the ORG was to prevent these types of problems. The fact of the matter is you and others are taking away from the purpose of discussing the Reds over a spelling error. Might I add tonight's game was exciting and meaningful and people like you are taking away from discussing the Reds. I logged on here tonight excited that Reds won a great game and YOU AND OTHERS TOOK AWAY MY EXPERIENCE OF DISCUSSING THE REDS BECAUSE OF A TYPING ERROR! But yet the mods have done nothing to stop this so not all of the blame falls on you either. So whatever.

Big Klu
08-22-2006, 01:31 AM
What a win! WOOOOO!!!! The Nature Boy comes through again! Stylin' and profilin'!!!

:aurilia:

I'm glad we signed him...real asset.

I agree! I really hope the Reds re-sign Aurilia for next year. He is a valuable asset to the offense, and a versatile player on defense. I know some don't like is "attitude", but what I see is an intense player who wants to succeed. I think that in his two seasons with the club, he has definitely become a leader.

Isnt Franklin supposed to be the long relief man?

Marty said on the radio that since Franklin might be used as the emergency starter in place of Michalak on Wednesday, that he would likely pitch only one inning. The way I see it, one inning tonight shouldn't affect his effectiveness on Wednesday, and it is one inning that someone else (i.e., Weathers and Coffey) doesn't have to pitch, thereby keeping them fresh for tomorrow.

Woah...Hulk Hogan and his daughter just walked by the studio....

Whatchagonnadoo...when RedsMania RUNS WILD ON YOU!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Hulk_Hogan3.jpg/180px-Hulk_Hogan3.jpg

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2006, 01:34 AM
I have read the game thread and you know this thread makes me laugh for one reason. The reason the game threads went from the Reds Live to the ORG was to prevent these types of problems. The fact of the matter is you and others are taking away from the purpose of discussing the Reds over a spelling error. Might I add tonight's game was exciting and meaningful and people like you are taking away from discussing the Reds. I logged on here tonight excited that Reds won a great game and YOU AND OTHERS TOOK AWAY MY EXPERIENCE OF DISCUSSING THE REDS BECAUSE OF A TYPING ERROR! But yet the mods have done nothing to stop this so not all of the blame falls on you either. So whatever.

Sooo....because of our tete-a-tete, you can no longer enjoy a great win? If this little tiff destroyed this fantastic win for you, something is wrong, and it has nothing to do with us.

reds44
08-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Ok seriously lets stop now. We've all had our say.

REDS WIN!

Big Klu
08-22-2006, 01:41 AM
I didn't know the Astros got ahold of ex-Pirate phenom JR House. He's been called up after hitting .325 in AA.

I saw him play football in high school. He was QB at Nitro High School in Nitro, WV (in southwest WV, near Charleston). He was, quite simply, the best high school QB I have ever seen. Nitro used a five-wide system, and when he graduated, he was the all-time leading passer in U.S. high school history, breaking Tim Couch's record. House threw for 5,526 yards and 65 TDs his senior year in 1998, as Nitro won the West Virginia AAA state championship. In the state semifinals, Nitro scored 60 points against Parkersburg South, who had allowed only 20 points in 12 games coming into the contest. In the state championship game, House threw 10 TD passes in Nitro's 69-52 win over Morgantown. House threw for 14,457 yards and 145 TDs for his career.

One of the more interesting things about House was that his family held a sort of "dual residence" in West Virginia and Florida. The House family lived in West Virginia during football season, then once first semester was over, they would move to Florida, and J.R. played high school baseball in Florida. Once the school year was over, the Houses would move back to WV in time for two-a-days and the upcoming football season.

Big Klu
08-22-2006, 01:43 AM

REDS WIN!

I'm trying to steer the conversation back to the game! :)

harangatang
08-22-2006, 01:46 AM

REDS WIN!
Why? There's nothing like the ORG becoming Reds Live or the Reds.com message board.

Cedric
08-22-2006, 01:48 AM
I saw him play football in high school. He was QB at Nitro High School in Nitro, WV (in southwest WV, near Charleston). He was, quite simply, the best high school QB I have ever seen. Nitro used a five-wide system, and when he graduated, he was the all-time leading passer in U.S. high school history, breaking Tim Couch's record. House threw for 5,526 yards and 65 TDs his senior year in 1998, as Nitro won the West Virginia AAA state championship. In the state semifinals, Nitro scored 60 points against Parkersburg South, who had allowed only 20 points in 12 games coming into the contest. In the state championship game, House threw 10 TD passes in Nitro's 69-52 win over Morgantown. House threw for 14,457 yards and 145 TDs for his career.

One of the more interesting things about House was that his family held a sort of "dual residence" in West Virginia and Florida. The House family lived in West Virginia during football season, then once first semester was over, they would move to Florida, and J.R. played high school baseball in Florida. Once the school year was over, the Houses would move back to WV in time for two-a-days and the upcoming football season.

Isn't it funny how the great dual sport athletes are always qb's? I guess in high school it's pretty obvious to give the best player the ball every down.

Speaking of dual sport qb's did anyone ever get to see Allen Iverson play football? I don't care about his size, he would have competed for a heisman in college. A freak.

TheBigLebowski
08-22-2006, 01:58 AM
I'm thrilled we won. RA is aces in my book. So is Schoeneweis. I am aggravated about the direction this thread took after the win.

WMR
08-22-2006, 02:22 AM
Hey...where's ASTROBUDDY?

Astrobuddy seems to stay pretty scarce these days! :laugh:

WVRedsFan
08-22-2006, 02:38 AM

Let me tell you about J.R.

All you say is true, but here's the rest of the story. This kid is the real deal. For awhile I hoped the Reds would get him. I watched the kid play from the time he was in high school football and followed him in Florida. He was lucky that his dad is a big car dealer and he had the option of playing baseball in Florida.

Last year, while recovering from surgery, he dicided to walk-on at West Virginia to get into the mix for quarterback. I watched him in a scrimmage last year and there was no doubt he would be the starting QB before the season was over, but something happened along the way--Pat White. White was just so good that House saw the writing on the wall and went back to baseball, but I'll tell you, it was close. House got into a few games last year before White established himself as a future star and it was magic every time. He just has a feel for the game.

The same is true of baseball. With the elbow healed and all that, he'll probably become a star. I just wish it was for the Reds. His talent is wasted with the Bucs.

MaineRed
08-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Dunno what threat I made, but you are correct that I am an ordinary poster.

You told me to keep myself scarce from game threads. Maybe it is some kind of warning and not a threat. You can fill me in.

Do your best to improve the grammar up there, including your own.

your right.

Sooo....because of our tete-a-tete, you can no longer enjoy a great win? If this little tiff destroyed this fantastic win for you, something is wrong, and it has nothing to do with us.

This is a nice repsonse. First you tell me not to show my face in game threads anymore because I am bothering YOUR enjoyment of the Reds win. But when someone tells you that YOU are bothering them, you tell them they must have something wrong with them if some words are keeping them from enjoying that win.

I thought that was your whole problem with me?

I apologize to anyone who I bothered in this thread, with the exception of Big Lebowski

Boss-Hog
08-22-2006, 08:10 AM
The situation with the above two posters who chose to ignore my warning has been addressed. Let's keep the board, including the game threads, free of this petty arguing, please.

RBA
08-22-2006, 09:35 AM
I hope anyone wasn't offended by my posts on this thread. They were mostly made with I hope was a little humor and nothing more. I think they were taken that way, but I'm not sure now.

BRM
08-22-2006, 10:48 AM
I hope anyone wasn't offended by my posts on this thread. They were mostly made with I hope was a little humor and nothing more. I think they were taken that way, but I'm not sure now.

I thought your posts were hilarious. FCB and OBM were pretty darn funny as well.

Patrick Bateman
08-22-2006, 01:16 PM

I thought they were fine.

Heath
08-22-2006, 01:17 PM
The situation with the above two posters who chose to ignore my warning has been addressed. Let's keep the board, including the game threads, free of this petty arguing, please.

I hope they at least send a postcard - or get RBA or FCB a snowglobe or something.

pedro
08-22-2006, 01:38 PM
I think I've long passed FCB for the most hated poster on Redszone.

neither one of you is even close to the "most hated".

WMR
08-22-2006, 04:08 PM

I love your Rich Aurilia-worship posts RBA!!!

redsmetz
08-22-2006, 05:48 PM
To get ready for tonight's game, I thought I'd read Houston's account. Pretty brutal.

This team's got a losing combination
By RICHARD JUSTICE
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle
CINCINNATI — Inside a quiet clubhouse, they seemed more numb than angry.

"Déjà vu all over again," Mike Lamb said.

This defeat was neither the ugliest nor the most painful. It was only the latest.

The Astros didn't lose Monday night just because Chad Qualls surrendered another booming home run with a game on the line. And they didn't lose just because Andy Pettitte couldn't finish the sixth inning.

And they certainly didn't lose just because they generated three or fewer runs for the 53rd time.

They lost for all those reasons and then some. They lost because for the last two summers they've had magical things happen down the stretch, and baseball's gods have a way of getting even.

The Astros were reminded of this Monday night in another punch-in-the-gut defeat, a 4-3 loss to the Cincinnati Reds.

Time is running out
This series was their chance to position themselves for another September sprint to the playoffs. Instead, it may validate that they're not up to it this time.

"It hurts," manager Phil Garner said. "It just kills you."

The Astros trail the Reds by six games with 37 remaining in the race for the National League wild-card berth. They've got eight teams to pass and no mojo.

This was the eighth time they've lost after leading by at least three runs and the 15th time they've lost after being ahead or tied after seven innings.

It's almost time to start preparing that recruiting pitch for free-agent outfielder Carlos Lee, who almost certainly will be the club's top priority this winter.

The Astros need more than him. They need more power at the other corner outfield spot, and they may need a third baseman and a starting pitcher. They'll also need to regain their ability to compete with the game on the line.

Beyond what can be measured is the fact they've been awful in game situations. They don't get runners in from third base. They don't move them from second to third.

Garner's magic missing
It's easy to track the large failures. The Astros haven't gotten enough from Jason Lane, Morgan Ensberg and Brad Lidge. That's old news. There's something else missing.

Little plays win hundreds of baseball games a year. These are the plays the Astros aren't making.

Even if new bodies are brought in, Garner must get his team back to playing as a team, to competing the hardest when the stakes are highest.

This is the kind of thing Roger Clemens has done for 23 seasons. This is the kind of thing Lance Berkman and Roy Oswalt and a few others do.

Garner had the Astros doing it as a team the last two years. His magic has left the building.

"We've probably had a hundred games like this," Garner said.

It's these intangibles that must worry general manager Tim Purpura. He can bring in players with numbers. He
can't know if they'll play as one.

Defeats like Monday's can rip the heart from a team, can test it in ways teams aren't usually tested. Go ahead and vent about the manager, general manager, owner, bullpen and everything else.

Sometimes luck plays a part, too. The Reds tied it after a liner fell in front of Berkman in right and a grounder bounced over Lamb's head at first.

Then Qualls left a pitch in the fat part of the plate for Rich Aurilia, who hit a three-run homer to tie it. Qualls came undone from there.

"Sometimes you're going to be on the other end of it," Pettitte said. "We did that to teams a lot the last two years. We've just got to keep going."

This defeat wasn't about luck. Competitive teams generate more offense. Competitive teams make the pitch that needs to be made after two fluke hits.

Let's begin at the beginning. Garner wasn't going to use Dan Wheeler, who had pitched three days in a row. Fernando Nieve isn't healthy, and Garner would prefer not to use Lidge in a close game for a while.

Garner needed more from his starting pitcher. When he didn't get it, Russ Springer did a nice job to finish the sixth, and Qualls got the Reds in order in the seventh.

Garner was forced to send Qualls back out for the eighth, and that's when the game was lost. Yet it wasn't just about the bullpen.

Do you like numbers? The Astros were perfect with runners in scoring position. They were zero-for-zero.

Their three runs were generated by homers, two by Aubrey Huff and one by Berkman. They didn't get a single runner into scoring position the rest of the game.

"It's a combination of things," Garner said. "We needed (Qualls) to close it down tonight, and he didn't. We needed to put some more runs on the board. We didn't. It just ticks me off."

vaticanplum
08-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Their three runs were generated by homers, two by Aubrey Huff and one by Berkman. They didn't get a single runner into scoring position the rest of the game.

For some reason this didn't register with me. They didn't have a man on second or third the entire game? How many men went to first? Crikes, if the Reds played in some other ballpark we might have been close to a no-hitter.

redsmetz
08-22-2006, 07:48 PM

For some reason this didn't register with me. They didn't have a man on second or third the entire game? How many men went to first? Crikes, if the Reds played in some other ballpark we might have been close to a no-hitter.

Yeah, that jumped out at me too. Amazing, no?