PDA

View Full Version : Brennaman and Brennaman

jmble
08-24-2006, 10:10 AM
From Lance McAllister...

REDS CLOSE TO NAMING THEIR MAN
It is my understanding that the Reds search for their next broadcaster is not only underway....but nearing completion. I believe the next Reds broadcaster can be heard this Saturday afternoon on Fox 19 as the Cubs face the Cards in St Louis...........Thom Brennaman. Don't be surprised if the announcement is made prior to the end of the season.........IF not sooner.

Here's the link to where he's posting it. Not on his blog for some reason...

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/onair_lance.html

Always Red
08-24-2006, 10:14 AM
I'd love that; I think Thom Brennaman is outstanding, and I know he's still a big Reds fan.

Welsh would get more work, too, IMO, because TB will still be doing the Saturday games on Fox.

Heath
08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Lance, Lance, Lance.

Stop incorporating dream sequences into your everyday work.

They'll still need a third - would that be Joe? - Since Thom does football and Saturday baseball and a college football.

Reds4Life
08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Lance's "sources" are often wrong. He reports UC basketball information and about 50% of the time it's not even close.

Thom wouldn't be bad, but take anything Lance says with a huge gain of salt.

registerthis
08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I'd have no problems with Thom in the booth, however...

Do they have to name Steve Stewart's replacement while Steve is still doing games for the Reds? Why could this announcement not be made during the offseason?

Unassisted
08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
My goodness, but that timetable would make for an uncomfortable radio booth for the rest of the Reds season if it goes down that way. It might be a good choice, but it sure would be a ham-handed way to announce it. :rolleyes:

Heath
08-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Lance's "sources" are often wrong.

Here are a few of Lance's Sources -

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/648397/2/istockphoto_648397_dartboard.jpg

http://www.whoknew.us/8_ball/20.gif

http://www.augustinespiritualgoods.com/ouija%20board%20web.jpg

Older RedsZone listeners might remember at one point that McAlister used to post here - but the details are shady why he doesn't anymore -

Always Red
08-24-2006, 10:28 AM
My goodness, but that timetable would make for an uncomfortable radio booth for the rest of the Reds season if it goes down that way. It might be a good choice, but it sure would be a ham-handed way to announce it. :rolleyes:
good points, and hopefully Castellini has more class than to do that to Steve. Unless Steve is privy to the info and is OK with the announcement.

Steve will land on his feet. He is a nice man, and most of us who have reached a certain age realize that a lot of success is just showing up, being nice and being prepared. Steve does all of those things, so certainly has made some good connections in his years here. I was listening to his PBP the other night, and it is still weak; he has the wrong guys running the wrong bases, etc. In spite of my frustration with his descriptions, I still find myself liking the man a lot, and I sincerely hope the Reds traet him well until the end of the season.

big boy
08-24-2006, 10:39 AM
I just don't understand why a nationally respected announcer like TB would come back to do 3 innings for the Reds unless there was some deal where he would replace Marty in the next year or two.

Heath
08-24-2006, 10:43 AM
I just don't understand why a nationally respected announcer like TB would come back to do 3 innings for the Reds unless there was some deal where he would replace Marty in the next year or two.

Well, you just answered your own question, didn't you? :D

Joseph
08-24-2006, 10:44 AM

IF it is Thom, then there is the lure of replacing his father as the voice of the team he grew up with, and there would almost assuredly be some sort of long term thing, and not a 2 year deal like Steve got.

IF

I don't know that I believe it to be anything more than Lance like hype.

Ltlabner
08-24-2006, 11:05 AM
You know, BC did say he would raise the payroll if the team were in the hunt.

Maybe, an increase in payroll in the broadcast booth is part of that promise? :p:

Jr's Boy
08-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Here are a few of Lance's Sources -

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/648397/2/istockphoto_648397_dartboard.jpg

http://www.whoknew.us/8_ball/20.gif

http://www.augustinespiritualgoods.com/ouija%20board%20web.jpg

Older RedsZone listeners might remember at one point that McAlister used to post here - but the details are shady why he doesn't anymore -

LMAO!Thanks for the post,you made my day.

Sea Ray
08-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Steve will land on his feet.

I don't know. I agree with Steve when he said this was a dream job. Do you realize how rare it is for a "non ex-jock" to make it into the broadcast booth if you are not a legacy (ie Buck, Brennaman, Carey, Albert)? To be a non ex-jock and be the color guy is even more rare. I wish him the best but I felt he was very ordinary and he'll have to have extraordinary skills to beat these odds.

As to Lance's sources I think he is dead on. I've posted my reasons on the other forum.

smith288
08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I cant stand how they do the innings every 3 method.

Just have one guy do color and the other PBP.

Joseph
08-24-2006, 11:23 AM

I really hope they do something like that now too.

top6
08-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Don't be surprised if the announcement is made prior to the end of the season.........IF not sooner.I have aquestion. How can the announcement be made sooner than prior to the end the season?

Sea Ray
08-24-2006, 11:31 AM

I absolutely agree with you 100%!

It's prima donna Marty who drives that. The guy has to take three innings off a night. Unlike most markets, when they switch Marty is off mike and completely off the air. He doesn't contribute a thing during those innings. That won't change as long as Marty's here and that's unfortunate.

Always Red
08-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't know. I agree with Steve when he said this was a dream job. Do you realize how rare it is for a "non ex-jock" to make it into the broadcast booth if you are not a legacy (ie Buck, Brennaman, Carey, Albert)? To be a non ex-jock and be the color guy is even more rare. I wish him the best but I felt he was very ordinary and he'll have to have extraordinary skills to beat these odds.

well, it appears as if there will be a job opening in Phoenix for Steve to apply for...

as for the folks who had questions about Thom walking away from the big bucks at Fox, that's not a problem. Thom will still be working for Fox, weekends, as he always does. And still making those big bucks- he'd be crazy not to. His "day job" has been the Diamondbacks all along.

This is the best of both worlds for Thom Brennaman, if he can convince his wife to move away from home. Some will question Thom not being there, with the Reds, for Saturday games, but I think Thom has earned the right to "double dip." He's a huge name in broadcasting, and has made it bigger than his dad ever did, even though Marty is a HoF'er and remains to this day, the best pbp broadcaster I have ever heard.

I'm excited about this, and hope Lance's source has it right...:beerme:

GAC
08-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Do they have to name Steve Stewart's replacement while Steve is still doing games for the Reds? Why could this announcement not be made during the offseason?

Why not? He knew he was leaving. In fact, he went to the FO management and asked them to let him know what his status was soon as possible, and they were upfront about it (according to Steve)....

http://badboy.mlblogs.com/

I've been off the forum for the last several days - has it ever been revealed as to why the Red's aren't renewing his contract?

Chip R
08-24-2006, 12:04 PM
I absolutely agree with you 100%!

It's prima donna Marty who drives that. The guy has to take three innings off a night. Unlike most markets, when they switch Marty is off mike and completely off the air. He doesn't contribute a thing during those innings. That won't change as long as Marty's here and that's unfortunate.

I said in the other thread that if they truly want an analyst in there, they should hire one and tell Marty he's doing play by play every inning. What's he going to do, quit?

Joseph
08-24-2006, 12:05 PM
I've been off the forum for the last several days - has it ever been revealed as to why the Red's aren't renewing his contract?

Because you haven't been on the forum, its all your fault.

Seriously, I don't think anything has ever been said officially.

Carin4Narron
08-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Mr.Red and Gapper called Lance last night with that rumor and he went, ''WOW, AHH AHH HIDY HO, WOW.'' He told Pic at work this morning about it and Pic said, ''Interesting to say the least'' Then Pic told Gamble and Gamble said. ''COME ON!''

Jr's Boy
08-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Oi vey,Gapper.

Unassisted
08-24-2006, 12:26 PM
I have aquestion. How can the announcement be made sooner than the end the season?The same way that Steve's non-renewal could be made before the end of the season? Seriously, if a deal has been signed, there's no legal reason it couldn't be announced, unless it was prohibited in the contract. There are plenty of PR-related reasons not to announce that soon, though. ;)

Blimpie
08-24-2006, 01:12 PM
The same way that Steve's non-renewal could be made before the end of the season? Seriously, if a deal has been signed, there's no legal reason it couldn't be announced, unless it was prohibited in the contract. There are plenty of PR-related reasons not to announce that soon, though. ;)Yep. It's not like there are all sorts of "tampering" restrictions in the world of sports broadcasting. It could pretty much just showup on a press release as long his contract with Fox is voidable.

indyred
08-24-2006, 01:14 PM
How many father son bits have been in the both. Seems there has been a few. I like the idea....

Rotater Cuff
08-24-2006, 01:46 PM
How can Marty possibly protest about Steve's removal -heavily publicized in the news media-and still be a party to this? And try to imagine him not being a party to the negotiations.

If they hire Thom, then Marty will look very deceitful.

Or could this be a false rumor?

TeamBoone
08-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Since when did Lance climb to the top of everyone's "list"? I always thought he was well liked and respected here at Redszone.

Chip R
08-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Since when did Lance climb to the top of everyone's "list"? I always thought he was well liked and respected here at Redszone.

I don't know if he is on anyone's "list" but ever since Steve was told he would not be coming back, Lance has pimped Thom more than George Grande has Jim Edmonds. This "story" may be true but on the face of it, it seems like wishful thinking. He said he believes that Thom will be the man. Lance believes a lot of things but it doesn't necessarily make them all true.

Reds4Life
08-24-2006, 02:03 PM

I'm a member of a another forum that Lance reads and when people call him out on his bad info he gets all snotty and sends them nasty PM's, etc.

Like Chip said, Lance tends to portray his beliefs as a sure thing to happen backed up by "sources", and they are far from it.

top6
08-24-2006, 04:29 PM
The same way that Steve's non-renewal could be made before the end of the season? Seriously, if a deal has been signed, there's no legal reason it couldn't be announced, unless it was prohibited in the contract. There are plenty of PR-related reasons not to announce that soon, though. ;)I know, I was trying to be funny and ended up being an idiot. I edited it - I meant to say how can it be announced, "sooner than prior to the end of the season," since that would be impossible. I am dumb.

registerthis
08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
How can Marty possibly protest about Steve's removal -heavily publicized in the news media-and still be a party to this?

It's quite possible that he developed a camraderie with Steve and truly is sorry to see him go, while at the same time excited at the potential opportunity for his son to join him in the booth. That's not far-fetched at all.

Heath
08-24-2006, 04:42 PM
It's quite possible that he developed a camraderie with Steve and truly is sorry to see him go, while at the same time excited at the potential opportunity for his son to join him in the booth. That's not far-fetched at all.

If that's the case - I figure this formula would be in effect.

Rock > Marty < Hard Place

registerthis
08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
If that's the case - I figure this formula would be in effect.

Rock > Marty < Hard Place

Could anyone blame Marty for feeling that way, though? Suppose he truly did pine for bringing Thom to the Reds--could he truly be faulted for it?

At any rate, it's mere speculation at this point. We have no idea who's being interviewed/offered the position. If it turns out to be Thom, I think that'd be great.

REDREAD
08-24-2006, 04:55 PM

I don't get it either. The guy has a much better gig than Marty right now.

Likewise, why would the Reds want to have to hire a third guy to accommodate Thom's other commitments. Thom is a good announcer, but there's no need to move mountains to get him (or his name).

I'd really rather have an assertive ex-player join the booth than someone who is related to Marty or is friends with him. I want someone that doesn't let Marty dominate the booth. That was one of Steve's problems. After being slammed by Marty the first season, he pretty much retreated into his shell and let Marty say wrong things without challenging him.

Chip R
08-24-2006, 05:00 PM
I'd really rather have an assertive ex-player join the booth than someone who is related to Marty or is friends with him. I want someone that doesn't let Marty dominate the booth. That was one of Steve's problems. After being slammed by Marty the first season, he pretty much retreated into his shell and let Marty say wrong things without challenging him.

I see where you are coming from and I agree, to a point. I'd like to see someone come in who isn't part of the good ol' boy network around here. Even though Thom has not been here for years he still qualifies. But I think Marty may be kinder and gentler to Thom since he's his son.

redsmetz
08-24-2006, 05:00 PM
You know it occurs to me you've got a build in Cincinnati area business who would be a great sponsor for the radio broadcasts - B&B Riverboats!

registerthis
08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
I see where you are coming from and I agree, to a point. I'd like to see someone come in who isn't part of the good ol' boy network around here. Even though Thom has not been here for years he still qualifies. But I think Marty may be kinder and gentler to Thom since he's his son.

Plus, I believe Thom is a very good announcer.

MartyFan
08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Lance's "sources" are often wrong. He reports UC basketball information and about 50% of the time it's not even close.

Thom wouldn't be bad, but take anything Lance says with a huge gain of salt.

I would LOVE to have Thom B doing the games with his dad...that said...the only journalist with more grassy nole theories than Lance is Gammons...so as you said take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

11larkin11
08-24-2006, 10:04 PM
From Marc's blog...

---Father knows best?

SAN FRANCISCO -- Regarding the report circulating today that Thom Brennaman will move into the Reds' radio booth for next season, Marty had this to say:

"That is unequivocally not true."---

Chip R
08-25-2006, 01:08 AM
I agree, reg. I have always liked Thom. I did not get to listen to him when he did Reds games but I did get to listen to him when he did Cubs games. I have always thought he is a fine announcer. I wish him nothing but the best whether he stays in AZ or comes back here.

Carin4Narron
08-25-2006, 09:45 AM
From Marc's blog...

---Father knows best?

SAN FRANCISCO -- Regarding the report circulating today that Thom Brennaman will move into the Reds' radio booth for next season, Marty had this to say:

"That is unequivocally not true."--- Lance's response, ''WOW!''

ol'Sparky
08-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Thommie is an old Ohio University bobcat, If he gets the job, Frank Solich is gonna get drunk !!:beerme:

TeamBoone
08-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Marty & Son on the radio?
It's a thought... But Thom has other ties besides family
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SAN FRANCISCO - Reports of Thom Brennaman joining his father, Marty, in the radio booth are premature.

"That is unequivocally not true," Marty Brennaman said. "He has not talked to the Reds."

Would he be interested?

"I can't answer that," Marty said.

Thom could not be reached Thursday afternoon.

If Brennaman were to leave the Arizona Diamondbacks, where he has been the club's lead announcer for nine seasons, it probably would be to return to Cincinnati and work with his father.

But there are obstacles to Thom joining the Reds. He's under contract with the Diamondbacks.

He also has extensive commitments to FOX Sports. FOX is expanding its game-of-the-week package next year, so Brennaman would be unavailable for most weekend games throughout the season.

Thom's name was one of the first to come up when Steve Stewart said his contract would not be renewed.
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060825/SPT04/608250449/1071

bellhead
08-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Furball has been lobbying to for Marty to be able to do both the Radio/TV at the same time. There has to be some substance to his lobbying for the simulcast. Bringing Thom in with Marty would allow them to do both. Thom has both TV and radio booth experience. Marty in my opinion is one of the best of all times and him being able to announce with his son would be a great way for his career to end. I also like Thom having caught Cubs games and other events he has been at. I hope this happens.

TeamBoone
08-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Furball has been lobbying to for Marty to be able to do both the Radio/TV at the same time. There has to be some substance to his lobbying for the simulcast. Bringing Thom in with Marty would allow them to do both. Thom has both TV and radio booth experience. Marty in my opinion is one of the best of all times and him being able to announce with his son would be a great way for his career to end. I also like Thom having caught Cubs games and other events he has been at. I hope this happens.

Personally, I think that concept stinks. Radio mandates in-depth play-by-play... otherwise, why bother? TV does not, nor would I want it on TV!

bellhead
08-25-2006, 04:18 PM
It wasn't Furball I 'm sorry but Tracey Jones who said it. I think it was Sunday when Tracey was on his rant about this. He was stating how many people turn the tv down and listen to Marty on the radio anyway so why not just have him do both. You have to remember Tracey likes Marty so he would be lobbying for him.

KittyDuran
08-25-2006, 04:28 PM
It wasn't Furball I 'm sorry but Tracey Jones who said it. I think it was Sunday when Tracey was on his rant about this. He was stating how many people turn the tv down and listen to Marty on the radio anyway so why not just have him do both. You have to remember Tracey likes Marty so he would be lobbying for him.That's all fine and good but there usually is a delay. There was even a delay in the radio broadcast when I was at the game on Wednesday.

WVRed
08-25-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm a member of a another forum that Lance reads and when people call him out on his bad info he gets all snotty and sends them nasty PM's, etc.

Like Chip said, Lance tends to portray his beliefs as a sure thing to happen backed up by "sources", and they are far from it.

So is the life of a talk radio jock.

Didn't he do something here at Redszone that ultimately caused him to leave? Or is this one of those its better not to ask type of questions?

Redsland
08-26-2006, 11:10 AM
If memory serves, he got a little blustery with some respected posters when his opinions were challenged. At some point after that, he took Harry Truman's advice.

Heath
08-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Vin Scully is simlcast on Dodger TV & Radio. but, again he does all nine innings by himself.

There are even a couple of cheesy shots in the middle of the innings on FSN West 2 that Vin shows up on camera with some type of "On this day....."

Sea Ray
08-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Vin Scully is simlcast on Dodger TV & Radio. but, again he does all nine innings by himself.

There are even a couple of cheesy shots in the middle of the innings on FSN West 2 that Vin shows up on camera with some type of "On this day....."

Even the egotistical Marty admits that Vin is in a class of his own. He can pull off a simulcast. There's nothing cheesy about showing Vin Scully. He is a living legend that we're privileged to experience 'cause future generations will only hear him on ESPN classic.

big boy
08-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Even the egotistical Marty admits that Vin is in a class of his own.

That doesn't sound egotistical to me.

creek14
08-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd like to see someone come in who isn't part of the good ol' boy network around here.
That was Steve. You can see where it got him.

Chip R
08-26-2006, 03:30 PM
That was Steve. You can see where it got him.

Yeah, I know. But a boy can dream, can he not? :)

goreds2
08-26-2006, 06:58 PM
I remember in the late 80's Marty and Joe did both TV and Radio. When asked if he liked doing both, (I think) Joe responded, "Well, the money is good".

Team Clark
08-26-2006, 07:19 PM
If Marty were to come out and say that indeed his son IS going to join him in the booth, that would present a HUGE problem for Marty. He would be caught between a rock and a hard place. He publicly said he endorsed Steve but would have had to have known about any attempts to negotiate a contract with his son. Better to give a "Not True" statement.

The funny thing is the TRUE statement Marty gave that has only been reported once or twice was "That is unequivocally not true," "He has not talked to the Reds. (As of TODAY)"

MartyFan
08-27-2006, 01:22 AM
If Marty were to come out and say that indeed his son IS going to join him in the booth, that would present a HUGE problem for Marty. He would be caught between a rock and a hard place. He publicly said he endorsed Steve but would have had to have known about any attempts to negotiate a contract with his son. Better to give a "Not True" statement.

The funny thing is the TRUE statement Marty gave that has only been reported once or twice was "That is unequivocally not true," "He has not talked to the Reds. (As of TODAY)"

TC:

I don't see any rock and hard spot for Marty here.

Here's why...the last three words of his full statement "AS OF TODAY"...additionally this does not automatically mean that he did not lobby for Steve...perhaps the Reds came back with Thom on a list after Marty made his pitch for Steve.

I also think this is bigger than just Thom and Marty...I'm thinking the Reds will follow the lead of St. Louis and buy a station...if not this year sometime in the near future.

Yachtzee
08-27-2006, 10:50 AM

Actually, I believe that this season Scully has been splitting time with Charlie Steiner, at least on the radio. I listened to some Dodgers games earlier in the season.

Team Clark
08-27-2006, 11:26 AM
TC:

I don't see any rock and hard spot for Marty here.

Here's why...the last three words of his full statement "AS OF TODAY"...additionally this does not automatically mean that he did not lobby for Steve...perhaps the Reds came back with Thom on a list after Marty made his pitch for Steve.

I also think this is bigger than just Thom and Marty...I'm thinking the Reds will follow the lead of St. Louis and buy a station...if not this year sometime in the near future.

Excellent point. The Reds would be well served to buy their own station. I'm not sure how all that worksout but it would serve them better IMO.

TeamBoone
08-27-2006, 03:20 PM
August 27, 2006

Reds radio a tough call
Searing scrutiny awaits Stewart's replacement
BY JOHN ERARDI | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Since the 1930s, the Reds radio booth has been a home to legends. Among the stars are Red Barber from the 1930s, and Waite Hoyt from the 1940s. Joe Nuxhall, Al Michaels and Marty Brennaman followed.

None started as giants in their field, of course.

But these announcers eventually became a fixture in hundreds of thousands of homes in Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky and beyond. And they've left big shoes to fill for whoever replaces Steve Stewart, who was told last week that his contract would not be renewed for next year after three seasons with the Reds.

Stewart's replacement will probably be hired soon after the Reds season ends. Redsfest in early December at the newly expanded Duke Energy Center downtown would be a logical time and place to unveil the new No. 2, but the club hasn't set a deadline.

But if it's like so much else that new Reds owner Bob Castellini has done, the announcement figures to have considerable splash, and will reverberate among fans. Such is the power of baseball on the radio in Cincinnati that Castellini's decision could very well be the biggest off-season move the club makes. And it will have implications beyond 2007.

"It's a very important hire," said Curt Smith, who has written three books on baseball announcers on radio and television. "They're going to have to put a lot (of thought) into it."

NO PLACE TO HIDE

What makes calling baseball games hard is what also makes it great: Not everybody can do it well. In fact, darn few can.

"Despite TV and all the other (technology), it's still a radio sport," Brennaman said. "Baseball and radio is a great combination. You can pass the time with it, come back to it and not feel like you've missed anything. I don't feel that will ever change."

There is no place to hide in the Reds' radio booth. The team's radio history of Barber, Hoyt, short-timer Al Michaels, and Marty and Joe can take its place with any major-league franchise in history, Smith said. The Reds want to add to it.

"The people in the booth are important everywhere, but especially in Cincinnati, where you have all those little towns in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and West Virginia with their 1,000- and 2,000-watt radio stations," said Smith.

In Smith's 2005 book, "Voices of Summer: Ranking Baseball's 101 All-Time Best Announcers," he rates Barber No. 5, Michaels No. 22, Brennaman No. 31, Hoyt 62 and Nuxhall 95th.

"Certain announcers go well in certain places, but would be run out of other places," Smith said. "Joe Nuxhall would have been run out of Boston or New York, but he was perfect for Cincinnati. I know. I've listened to him a lot and I like him. But that kind of marriage doesn't come along that often."

Given the names in Reds radio lore, one might wonder if the team's luck will simply run out. Brennaman offers some hope that it won't.

"I think the franchise has been lucky (in regard to its radio history), but maybe I don't give (the front office) enough credit," Brennaman said. "Somebody had to hire these guys. Somebody had to think they might turn out all to be all right."

BRENNAMAN'S PLANS

Complicating the Reds' decision on who should replace Stewart is the fact that Brennaman, the Hall of Fame announcer, said he wants to stop working full time after four more seasons. He has one more year on his contract, then wants to sign one more three-year deal.

Then, if the Reds give him the same opportunity the Dodgers gave the legendary Vin Scully - do home games, and a selected road trip or two - "I'd work forever," Brennaman said.

Otherwise, Brennaman says, he'll retire. He'll be 68 in four years.

"If they (the Reds) said, 'No, we need you more than (half a season),' I'd say 'Fine,' and be out the door," Brennaman said. "I believe there's life after baseball. There are things I'd like to do and see while I'm still able to do them. And I say that even though I love my job and still find it to be a challenge."

Brennaman's plan to either retire or work part time after the 2010 season means the Reds will probably have yet another voice in the radio booth starting in 2011. The person will presumably have to mesh with Stewart's replacement.

John Allen, the Reds' chief operating officer, said the team hasn't decided whether it wants a play-by-play announcer - who could ultimately serve as Brennaman's successor - or a former player to be a game analyst.

There are advantages to bringing a former player into the booth now. Most listeners' antennae go up when a former player is talking. Think about the folksy style of Joe Nuxhall, whom Stewart replaced.

"It's just the way it is, and I think the Reds would do well to hire a former player," said Roger Ruhl, who was involved with the search and hire of Brennaman 33 years ago, when the Reds needed to replace the popular Al Michaels and pair the new guy with Nuxie. "A lot of credibility comes with the (right) former player."

Smith, who used to listen to Marty and Joe when he worked in Indianapolis as an editor for the Saturday Evening Post, said only a handful of former players in the 86-season history of baseball on the radio have truly been stars at play-by-play, and that Hoyt, who was an announcer from 1942-1965, was one of the greatest.

"To be really good at play-by-play, you have to use the language well, set the stage, capture the drama and sell the game to the public with your words," Smith said.

PLAY-BY-PLAY

Stewart's replacement is going to have to call three innings of play-by-play. That is a format typical of radio booths in Major League Baseball and one that Brennaman favors. He does the first, second, fifth and sixth, and eighth and ninth innings.

Stewart calls the third, fourth and seventh innings, which is what the new person will do next year.

Smith said the Reds should hire a play-by-play announcer, especially if they want the person to be Brennaman's eventual replacement. Brennaman would prefer a play-by-play person as his sidekick, too.

"They (the Reds brass) could do it (hire a former player to be the analyst), but they'd have to be sure they got the right person," Brennaman said. "It'd have to be somebody who would not be intimidated, has a good head on his shoulders, and would work his butt off."

Nuxhall was a color guy who had some play-by-play experience in basketball before he moved into the Reds' radio booth in 1967, "but it wasn't in baseball, and there's no comparison," Brennaman said.

Nuxhall came onto the job as the third person and didn't immediately have to do play-by-play. Stewart's replacement won't have that luxury. If the Reds hire a former player with little experience, he'll have to learn on the job in spring training, which, Smith and Brennaman said, doesn't offer enough time.

"It's work," said former pitcher Ed Farmer, now the Chicago White Sox lead radio announcer. Farmer taught himself the art by taping himself calling imaginary games, then listening, critiquing, polishing, then adding cadence, nuance and rhythm. "It can be done, but you really have to get after it."

Farmer did three innings of play-by-play per game for many years before ascending to the top spot.

Brennaman is too much of a pro to let his new partner flounder, but he won't be holding anybody's hand through all nine innings. The Reds are fully according Brennaman the respect due a Hall of Famer, and aren't about to hire somebody who doesn't have his blessing.

Former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley once referred to announcer Scully as "the greatest Dodger of them all." Brennaman is in a similar position with the Reds. The radio announcer is the team's public link to its fans and, in a way, its top sales person once the season starts. The new hire must be someone fans want to let into their homes 162 games a year.

"That isn't something that players have spent their lives doing," Smith said. "It is a unique group of people who can do that."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060827/SPT04/608270447/1071

Happy in Arizona, Thom says he hasn't heard from Reds
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SAN FRANCISCO - On a lot of levels, it doesn't make any sense for Thom Brennaman to come to Reds to be a No. 2 radio guy.

He's the lead guy for the Arizona Diamondbacks. He's married to an Arizona girl. He's settled in Phoenix.

"I'm very happy in Arizona," he said. "I fully intend to honor my contract."

Brennaman is in the second year of a five-year contract with the Diamondbacks.

But a couple of things could sway him to Cincinnati.

One is a chance to work with his father, Marty. The other is he may want to do what St. Louis' Joe Buck has done and cut back his work with the local club because of his heavy schedule with Fox.

The Reds are looking for a replacement for Steve Stewart, whose contract was not renewed. The Reds have said they'd like a former player in the spot as an analyst.

But given his local ties and his stature - Brennaman is Fox's No. 2 play-by-play man - his name came up.

Brennaman said Saturday that he has had no contact with the club. The Reds would have to get permission from the Diamondbacks to contact Brennaman.

Brennaman has been with the D-Backs since the club's beginning.

"They've been very good to me for 11 years," he said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060827/SPT04/608270449/1071

Ex-players intrigued by opening in booth
BY JOHN ERARDI | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

If the Reds hire a color analyst to be the new No. 2 person in the radio booth next season, it will be a challenge for the new announcer to learn play-by-play, says one of the best ever at it - Marty Brennaman.

The new hire must be somebody who won't be intimidated, "has a good head on his shoulders and would work his butt off," says Brennaman, a Hall of Fame announcer who's been No. 1 on Reds radio since 1974.

The Reds are believed to be leaning toward hiring a former player to be the No. 2. Several former Reds and a current coach fit Brennaman's description of people who may have the right stuff: Tom Browning, Joe Oliver, Billy Hatcher and Todd Benzinger, all of whom were members of the 1990 World Champion Reds.

Hatcher is funny, a catalyst , a baseball lifer who has just the right motor for the game and most likely, the booth. Benzinger may be the most insightful, articulate Red since Joe Morgan. Oliver brings the catcher's perspective, a guy who kept things loose in the clubhouse and always had his finger on the team's pulse.

And Browning? Browning could easily be painted as "the new Nuxhall," because Browning lives in Greater Cincinnati and has gotten to be almost as beloved as the Ol' Left-hander, Joe Nuxhall.

The Young Left-hander - Browning is 46 - chafes a bit when people refer to him as Mr. Perfect (he threw a perfect game for the Reds in 1988), but he has no delusions about the No. 2 job being easy.

On the other hand, he believes he could do it. He applied for the job three years ago when it was open and Steve Stewart was hired to fill it, Browning said. Stewart, a play-by-play man, was told by the Reds last week that his contract would not be renewed for next season.

"At the time, (Reds chief operations officer) John Allen said to me, 'Do you know how hard this job's going to be?' " Browning recalled. "I said, 'Yes. I've talked with Joe (Nuxhall). I played golf with him all the time on the road. I know it's hard. But I believe I can do it.' "

Browning said he hasn't had any play-by-play experience, but he has gotten comfortable behind the microphone. He's broadcast some Dayton Dragons TV games, he said.

Oliver intends to throw his hat into the ring, too. Benzinger didn't quite go that far, but did say he was interested.

"It wouldn't be something (to which) I'd say, 'I'll never do that,' " said Benzinger, turning down his radio, which was tuned to the Reds game.

"But what Marty does, what Steve does, what Joe did, is much harder than what they seem to make it. They make it seem easy," said Benzinger, who grew up in New Richmond following the Big Red Machine, often on radio. "The more you know about baseball, the rhythms of the game, the more you appreciate somebody who is professional (in the booth). But yes, I do think a (former) player can bring a lot (to a broadcast)."

Oliver would love the job.

"I'd have to approach it the same way I did catching," said Oliver, who is a high school baseball coach, real estate agent and host of a daily radio sports show in Orlando.

"You have to prepare, and really anticipate what's coming up, think right along with the managers."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060827/SPT04/608270453/1071

Matt700wlw
08-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Excellent point. The Reds would be well served to buy their own station. I'm not sure how all that worksout but it would serve them better IMO.

The Reds can't get any bigger than 700 when it comes to coverage and strength...

The only thing I could think of if they would buy a station, is other stations would have to buy the rights, from them, to air the games.

Team Clark
08-27-2006, 04:05 PM
The Reds can't get any bigger than 700 when it comes to coverage and strength...

The only thing I could think of if they would buy a station, is other stations would have to buy the rights, from them, to air the games.

That's what I meant by serving THEM better. If John Allen is involved, and I have an inkling he will not be soon, then they would be interested in buying their own station.

On the flip side they are on the most powerful AM station in the US. 38 state coverage at night is a great marketing tool and incubator of fans. Not sure how you replace that. I for one hope they NEVER leave the Big One.:)

Chip R
08-27-2006, 11:37 PM
On the flip side they are on the most powerful AM station in the US. 38 state coverage at night is a great marketing tool and incubator of fans. Not sure how you replace that. I for one hope they NEVER leave the Big One.:)

Not to pick nits but it is one of the most powerful AM stations in the country, not the most powerful. But that is not the point. They have had that 38 state coverage for decades now. It can be a great marketing tool and incubator of fans but in this day and age, I do not think that it is that big of a deal. How many people in that 38 state area, not including the tri state area, actually wait until dark now and pray for a clear night in order to hear the last few innings of the Reds game fade in and out? If you are a serious fan and do not want to pay for the Extra Innings package, you are going to either get XM radio or MLB radio where you can hear the games from beginning to end without having to worry about the weather or the static. Plus, you can get day games with those two options. A horse and buggy is a great way to get from here to there but there are better and more convenient ways to do that.

Team Clark
08-28-2006, 12:05 AM
Not to pick nits but it is one of the most powerful AM stations in the country, not the most powerful. But that is not the point. They have had that 38 state coverage for decades now. It can be a great marketing tool and incubator of fans but in this day and age, I do not think that it is that big of a deal. How many people in that 38 state area, not including the tri state area, actually wait until dark now and pray for a clear night in order to hear the last few innings of the Reds game fade in and out? If you are a serious fan and do not want to pay for the Extra Innings package, you are going to either get XM radio or MLB radio where you can hear the games from beginning to end without having to worry about the weather or the static. Plus, you can get day games with those two options. A horse and buggy is a great way to get from here to there but there are better and more convenient ways to do that.

I did some research and found that indeed WLW has limited competition in the "Most Watts" arena. As you indicated...there are a few stations with WLW's capabilities. WLS in Chicago, WSB in Atlanta and WCCO in Minneapolis are all close at 50,000 watts. Only WLW has produced a signal of 500,000 watts.:eek:

I should have PM'd Matt he could have helped too.

Here is Wikipedia's info on the "Big One"

"The Nation's Station"
WLW currently broadcasts using 50,000 watts of power, but that wasn't always the case. For about six years, WLW experimented with broadcasting at 500,000 watts, the first station in the world to do so, during the overnight hours under callsign W8XO. It stopped in 1939 because of complaints from around the United States and Canada that WLW was overpowering other stations as far away as Toronto.

The high power broadcasts led WLW to call itself "The Nation's Station", a slogan recently renewed due to WLW's presence on satellite radio.

WLW powered up again a few times during World War II in order to send special broadcasts to American troops in Europe, and has not broadcast at 500 kW since. However, the 500 kW transmitting equipment was used by the US government for broadcasting to Cuba early in the Kennedy administration

Even today, after sundown, the 50,000 watt signal can be heard across much of the eastern half of the United States and Canada.

The station's first 50-kW transmitter, made by Western Electric, is still functional and sees very occasional service. On December 31, 1999, it was powered up, and served to bring WLW into the year on January 1, 2000. The station's unusual diamond-shaped antenna (called a Blaw-Knox Tower) is one of eight still operational in the United States and is featured on the official seal of the City of Mason.

paintmered
08-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Here's a list of the 50,000 watt AM stations

540 CBK Regina, SK U1 CBC Radio One
540 WFLF Pine Hills, FL U4 News/Talk
590 CJCL Toronto, ON U3 Sports
630 CHED Edmonton, AB U4 AC/Talk
640 KFI Los Angeles, CA U1 News/Talk
640 CFYI Richmond Hill, ON U4 News/Talk
650 WSM Nashville, TN U1 Classic Country
650 KENI Anchorage, AK U1 News/Talk
660 WFAN New York City, NY U1 Sports