PDA

View Full Version : Casey thrown out at first from LF

cincrazy
08-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned in another thread, if it was, I apologize. But tonight, Sean Casey was thrown out at first base by the left fielder. I don't think I've ever seen that. He hit a liner off of Crede's glove that bounced to the LF, Casey thought the ball was caught and started heading back to the dugout, but by the time he realized it wasn't caught, he was thrown out. AMAZING. Hate to see that happen to him. Nobody plays harder than Casey.

aodaniel
08-25-2006, 06:38 AM
freel does

buckeyenut
08-25-2006, 06:59 AM
freel does

That's not fair though. Freel plays harder than Pete Rose did. freel should be automatically excluded any time anyone makes a statement like that.

:)

bomarl1969
08-25-2006, 07:08 AM
What do you expect as fat as Casey is???

And I agree with the Ryan Freel statement.

Hap
08-25-2006, 07:09 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/fullmulletalchemist/nelson_ha_ha.jpg

ChatterRed
08-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Casey = The Penguin?

HumnHilghtFreel
08-25-2006, 07:38 AM
The guys on SportCenter described it as "one of the worst outs you'll ever see"

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 07:44 AM
It sounds more like a freak play and a huge mental mistake by Casey.

MrCinatit
08-25-2006, 07:44 AM
I hate to break this to Sean, but this is probably the thing he will be remembered for long after he is retired.
And i realize he was angry when the play happened, but I do hope he can get a chuckle out of it as he gets older.
This is Enos Cabell trying to blow a ball fowl. This is a homer bouncing off Jose Canseco's head. This is Dave Winfield and the seagull.

EDIT: and you would be correct, RedsMetz - it was a very freak play. Casey simply thought the ball was caught and turned his back on the play.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 08:08 AM
There is no question it's embarressing and my guess is Case won't take this too hard. He's a fairly affable guy, capable of laughing at himself.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 08:21 AM
I just watched video on the Tigers web page and you can see how Casey thought Crede caught. The full 360 turn killed him, but hats off to Ozuna who absolutely saw the play the whole way. This takes you to the story and then you can view it as Ozuna Gets Casey.

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/emailArticleServlet?aid=1120127

15fan
08-25-2006, 08:29 AM
After Casey got thrown out, did he run out to hug the left fielder for making such a great play, then shake hands with the ump for making such a good call?

aodaniel
08-25-2006, 08:30 AM
That's not fair though. Freel plays harder than Pete Rose did. freel should be automatically excluded any time anyone makes a statement like that.

:)

fair enough. freel should be excluded by default.

blumj
08-25-2006, 08:33 AM
There is no question it's embarressing and my guess is Case won't take this too hard. He's a fairly affable guy, capable of laughing at himself.
It's probably a lot easier to have a sense of humor about it in a 10-0 game than it would have been in a close one.

beb30
08-25-2006, 08:51 AM
:clap::lol::bowrofl:

Always Red
08-25-2006, 08:54 AM
What do you expect as fat as Casey is???

Sean Casey isn't fat.

But he is slow. Which, of course, had nothing to do with this play.

I haven't seen the replay yet; sounds like Sean wasn't paying enough attention. I sure he's getting a lot of ribbing from teammates, old and new.

BuckWoody
08-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Remember the incident at the All-Star game when he signed his game jersey? He had a pretty good laugh at himself over that. I don't think Casey will take this one too hard and will enjoy the re-telling for years.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Sean Casey isn't fat.

But he is slow. Which, of course, had nothing to do with this play.

I haven't seen the replay yet; sounds like Sean wasn't paying enough attention. I sure he's getting a lot of ribbing from teammates, old and new.

I wonder if they do the Kangaroo Court in Detroit? Larkin and Griffey would have been merciless on this one.

Always Red
08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I wonder if they do the Kangaroo Court in Detroit? Larkin and Griffey would have been merciless on this one.
I'm sure they have Kangaroo Court in Detroit.

I'm also sure he had to turn his cell phone off, for all the calls and text messages he was getting from ex-teammates!:D

redssouth
08-25-2006, 10:05 AM
There are plenty of players that play just as hard as freel. He does play hard, but sometimes he looks like he plays harder because he also plays sorta wreckless. Just because Casey or someone else isnt running into a wall or teammate, doesnt mean they arent playing hard. Freel goes 100 MPH all the time, and his 100 MPH just happens to be faster than other players 100MPH for Casey it would be more like 35MPH... He has what I would refer to a school zone speed. I think you could make the argument that Casey plays just as hard as Freel does, he just doesnt endager everyone else on the field in the process.

Reds-aholic
08-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Atleast he didnt HIT INTO A DOUBLE PLAY!! :devil: :laugh:

jfar23
08-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Casey = The Penguin?
It really is amazing how much his running mannerisms reflect a penguins.

ol'Sparky
08-25-2006, 11:07 AM
i saw this, watching the guy run is more amusing then a seinfeld episode !!:laugh:

goreds2
08-25-2006, 11:10 AM
That was a GREAT play by the left fielder to be alert enough to realize what Casey did.

BurnYrHouseDown
08-25-2006, 11:21 AM
I wonder what Jim Leyland had to say about it. He probably put out a cigarette on Casey's arm as Case begged forgiveness and offered to do anything to make it up to him--even clean his toilets.

Always Red
08-25-2006, 11:30 AM
I wonder what Jim Leyland had to say about it. He probably put out a cigarette on Casey's arm as Case begged forgiveness and offered to do anything to make it up to him--even clean his toilets.

from the Detroit Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060825/SPORTS02/608250440/1050

Phhhl
08-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't he have been out for running out of the baseline first? That's the way it sounds by the description here.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Wouldn't he have been out for running out of the baseline first? That's the way it sounds by the description here.

From what I saw, he never left the basepath, he just stopped, turned around, realized that the ball wasn't caught, turned back around to try to beat out the throw and didn't by about a step.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 12:57 PM
From the Free Press article:

Sean Casey, the popular first baseman, thought third baseman Joe Crede had snared his fifth-inning line drive.

And Casey was not alone. His manager, Jim Leyland, thought Crede had caught it, too. So did Ron Kulpa, the first-base umpire. The ball had, instead, grazed Crede's glove at third and sailed into leftfield. Thinking the ball had been caught, Casey stopped running. He took off his helmet. He stood, stunned, a few steps outside the batter's box. Then he heard the crowd. He took another look, saw leftfielder Pablo Ozuna field the ball -- not a pleasant discovery -- and took off for first.

"When you have a real ugly game, it's normally a combination of bad pitching, bad hitting, bad managing, bad defense," Leyland said.

"We had pretty much all that."

Not to mention a curious line in the CBS.sportsline.com play-by-play log, one that will live in hardball infamy for a day or two: "Casey grounded out to left."

"It wasn't a hustle thing or anything like that," he said. "It had nothing to do with me not playing hard. It had to do with an honest mistake. I thought he caught the ball."

Casey apologized to Leyland after it happened. Leyland told him not to worry but later said Casey seemed "shook up" by the play.

"When you have a real ugly game, it's normally a combination of bad pitching, bad hitting, bad managing, bad defense," Leyland said.

"We had pretty much all that."

Not to mention a curious line in the CBS.sportsline.com play-by-play log, one that will live in hardball infamy for a day or two: "Casey grounded out to left."

In the article they say it was a 7-4-3 out, but from the video, it looks like Ozuna nails him all the way.

UKAlum97
08-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't think it was such a big deal. If he had been thrown out for not hustling, then he would be liable to ridicule. But this was just a mental lapse.

He was robbed of extra bases in an earlier at bat by a sensational catch by the White Sox's center fielder. He thought he was robbed again by the third baseman on this play. He just dropped his head in disgust and was probably thinking, "Man, what do I have to do to get a hit? I'm killing the ball and can’t catch a break!” Once he realized the ball wasn't caught, he ran like a scared jack rabbit. He just made a mistake in thinking the ball was caught.

To suggest that Casey doesn't hustle and give 110% on the field is to reveal your complete ignorance of the situation and your own love to hear yourself babble.

GoGoWhiteSox
08-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Great heads-up by Pablo in LF. That was the key to the whole play. If he wasn't alert out there, Casey would have gotten a cheap hit.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Great heads-up by Pablo in LF. That was the key to the whole play. If he wasn't alert out there, Casey would have gotten a cheap hit.

How's a nice outside pitch over the 3rd baseman's glove a "cheap hit"? Lucky, yes, but cheap? no.

BCubb2003
08-25-2006, 02:22 PM
In the article they say it was a 7-4-3 out, but from the video, it looks like Ozuna nails him all the way.

Actually, the article says it was 5-7-3, which would be right. Third to left field to first.

halmorris
08-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Take a look at the paragraph that was in the article about Casey being thrown out:

"In most National League cities, where Casey forged his reputation as a hard-nosed player, it would've been shrugged off as a mistake. With Casey unfamiliar to the American League, and with the play happening so quickly, those cheers for the ball getting through soon turned to boos, showering upon Casey on his way off the field."

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/emailArticleServlet?aid=1120127

Sounds like we have a bunch of winners up in Detroit! Great Fans...

BurnYrHouseDown
08-25-2006, 02:53 PM
from the Detroit Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060825/SPORTS02/608250440/1050

There goes my fun fantasy of Leyland being the curmudgeonly old manager ever since I read how much he smokes.

in addition--is anyone else annoyed at the perception that the American League fans are somehow tougher than NL fans?

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Actually, the article says it was 5-7-3, which would be right. Third to left field to first.

Yes, of course, same as a ball hitting off of the pitcher and going to another infielder. My mistake.

BCubb2003
08-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes, of course, same as a ball hitting off of the pitcher and going to another infielder. My mistake.
Definitely one for the Retrosheet box score historians...

westofyou
08-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Somewhere Ernie (Not Fat at All) Lombardi grins.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Somewhere Ernie (Not Fat at All) Lombardi grins.

Was it him or Walker Cooper who was regularly thrown out at first by outfielders?

Doc. Scott
08-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Was it him or Walker Cooper who was regularly thrown out at first by outfielders?

Definitely Ernie.

REDREAD
08-26-2006, 03:20 AM
Really, I think if a player does that anywhere, he'll hear boos. Fans don't understand that he thought the ball was caught. From their point of view (20/20 hindsight), it looks like lollygagging.

RBA
08-26-2006, 10:40 AM
You never stop running until you cross the first base bag. If you aren't doing that, you are lollygagging.

Always Red
08-26-2006, 10:50 AM
You never stop running until you cross the first base bag. If you aren't doing that, you are lollygagging.
Unless you're sure the 3B has the sharply hit line drive in his glove. The it's ok to not sprint all the way down to 1B.

Which Sean did not do; he assumed Crede had caught the ball, and he turned his back to the play. Really, it's indefensible. All you can say is that it's very unlike Sean Casey to do that.:dunno: