PDA

View Full Version : Is this good or pathetic?

cincrazy
08-25-2006, 01:38 AM
Here's how seriously I take this pennant race... I NEVER cry. I'm stubborn that way. It takes something really tragic to force a tear out of my eyes. But, if the Reds make the playoffs, I might just shed tears of joy. I'm not even kidding. Is that a good thing, or absolutely pathetic? I'm 21 years old, and I only vaguely remember the last time this team was in the playoffs in 95. I was aware of the fact, but was too young to really care at the time. Whether they won or lost, I went to bed really not caring. But since around 1997, I've worn my heart on my sleeve with this team. I dealt with the disappointment of September 1999, all of the Griffey injuries, and on and on and on, through awful ownerships, and mid summer meltdowns. These last 10 years have felt like 40. The Buckeyes have won a title, and the Bengals have found success, but baseball is my PASSION. It's what I've lived and breathed since I was around 11 or 12, and it's what I want to do for the rest of my life. And if the Reds make the playoffs, it would mean so much to me, that I just might shed a tear. THANK YOU BOB CASTELLINI AND WAYNE KRIVSKY!!!

TOBTTReds
08-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Cry man, I've thought the same. It would be embarrassing, but embrace the moment.

redsmetz
08-25-2006, 05:25 AM
Crying? There's no crying in baseball!

That said, go for it. I have a buddy who grew up in Boston and his dad was born in 1919 and tied a few years ago. It occurred to him that his dad never saw the Sox win a World Series. I called him the night the Sox won and told him I thought his dad was enjoying the moment.

Enjoy the moment when it comes.

redsfan30
08-25-2006, 09:15 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that if the Reds clinch a playoff spot sometime next month that I'll shed a tear of joy.

bebo03
08-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Amen Brother's. I've been a red's fan since the BRM days. I've been there through the thick and the thin. I'm 39 and it does'nt bother me to say that i will be shedding tears of joy when we do clinch a playoff spot.
This is the latest in the year in a long time I have been able to actually pull for MY TEAM in a long time.
Thanks Wayne and Bob. Keep the BIG RED MACHINE rolling.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-25-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't know if I'll cry, but I'm definitely the kind of fan that lives and dies with his team. I'm the guy that's yelling at the TV as if I'm Jerry Narron giving the ump an earful. I usually end up celebrating the good things by yelling and making hand gestures as well(I'm Italian, I can't help it, lol), but usually in a much happier tone.

But all said, there's no shame in crying for something you feel passionately about.

MartyFan
08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Amen Brother's. I've been a red's fan since the BRM days. I've been there through the thick and the thin. I'm 39 and it does'nt bother me to say that i will be shedding tears of joy when we do clinch a playoff spot.
This is the latest in the year in a long time I have been able to actually pull for MY TEAM in a long time.
Thanks Wayne and Bob. Keep the BIG RED MACHINE rolling.

Ditto...to a tee.

But seriously...I won't cry....stop looking at me...STOP IT.....NO, it's not a....someone hold me please....

Cicero
08-25-2006, 10:23 AM
No shame in that, I welled up last year when the Bnegals finally clinched a playoff spot and will probably do the same with the Reds.

Speaking of which, if the Reds make the playoffs it will be both teams in the playoffs in one year. How scary is that?

BoCcc2832
08-25-2006, 10:25 AM
It'll be hard for me not to scream in the streets and randomly start streaking...it'll be very hard to keep my emotions back if we clinch a playoff spot

UC_Ken
08-25-2006, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't say pathetic but crying over just making the playoffs is a little extreme. Give me a WS title and I'll cry like a baby but not before then.

BurnYrHouseDown
08-25-2006, 11:00 AM
first i'll have a good laugh at all of the analysts and predictions--my own included--that had the Reds finishing in last. The laughing will eventually cause tears which will soon turn from being caused by lauhing to genuine tears of excitement.

ol'Sparky
08-25-2006, 11:05 AM
you might as well get you a box of kleenex, 'cause these boys are gonna be there !!

:griffey: :dunn: :freel: :aurilia: :ede: :harang: :milton: :larue:

RFS62
08-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I've done my crying the past few seasons of abject suckitude.

I'm gonna party like it's 1999 if we make the playoffs. Hey, wait.... well, I did party that year, for the team and the new millennium, and stuff.

Cicero
08-25-2006, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't say pathetic but crying over just making the playoffs is a little extreme. Give me a WS title and I'll cry like a baby but not before then.

The way our sports teams have played over the last ten years in Cincinnati even a playoff appearance is a huge accomplishment. Not quite a championship, but darn close.

GoGoWhiteSox
08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
It can wait until the World Series. Then, IF they win it, it'll be ok to do so. When the White Sox won it all last year, I was so happy, I got light-headed and nearly collapsed! No joke!

BoydsOfSummer
08-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I welled up pretty good in 1990 when they won it all. I'd love to do it again.

vic715
08-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Like a lot of us on here I've lived through 6 World Series, 3 World Championships, 10 postseason appearances and 2 near misses (64 and 99).
If this group of castoffs and veterans pulls this thing off then it will definitly be worth some tears.Regardless of how many championships and playoffs a person has been through nothing beats going through the next one.This one is the next one and boy is it sweet.And at my age you never no if there will be another next one.

George Anderson
08-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Whether we win or lose this year I cannot remember how long its been since this late in the year I am focused to the Tv or radio to follow the Reds. Even if this team wasnt in the pennant race, I still just love watching this team and how it plays. It reminds me alot of the 1990 season and how much fun it was to watch that cast of characters play.

During the Boone years this was hardly the case, thats when i did lotsa crying!!!

Always Red
08-27-2006, 12:03 AM
This team leaves me in tears of joy or tears of frustration every single night. I can't recall being on a rollercoaster ride of this length before, and we have 5 weeks left, 5 weeks of delicious, edge-of-your-seat agony. Folks around here are already living and dying with every pitch, and have been for weeks now.

Hey, it's better than being 20 games out of it, isn't it??