PDA

View Full Version : Majewski outdone by Abad.

NDIrish9
08-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Last night in Louisville vs. Toledo:

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Gosling 4.1 8 8 8 1 5 2 4.41
Standridge 0.2 1 0 0 0 1 0 3.07
Majewski 0.2 1 2 0 1 0 0 0.00
Robbins 1.1 1 0 0 0 4 0 3.10
Abad 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.00

Majewski. Stop walking people or I'll cut your hair off. You're a major league (well, minor league now) pitcher. It isn't hard to throw strikes.
Also note that he isn't striking anyone out. He used to have a decent K/IP ratio. He also used to throw 95. Now he throws 90 and he can't seem to throw it by anyone. Abad even had a K.

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2006, 01:12 PM

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Majewski. Stop walking people or I'll cut your hair off. You're a major league (well, minor league now) pitcher. It isn't hard to throw strikes.
Also note that he isn't striking anyone out. He used to have a decent K/IP ratio. He also used to throw 95. Now he throws 90 and he can't seem to throw it by anyone. Abad even had a K.

He's also rehabbing. Cut him some slack.

westofyou
08-26-2006, 01:16 PM

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Rehabs are not always about the same thing, sometimes pitchers actually are "working" on getting back 100%, sometimes they are working on certain pitches, sometimes they are tentative because they have been down.

Expecting is one thing is something but reality is another, the sum of his rehab wil be further defined as he works his way back, it's the same reason Belise stayed on his so long.

Comparing one pitchers performance vs a certain part of the order in a diffrent situation vs anothers perfromance vs another part of the order in another situation while one has been healthy and the other has not (and citing the injured guys speed in his 1st performance back) is a bit unfair.

If he does the same thing for 5 apperances then it might be justified, but in the meantime I'd say he's in the working back mode.

Pitchers injuries are a wildcard, expecting something more this soon is putting the cart before the horse.

NDIrish9
08-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Abad is an outfielder.....

westofyou
08-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Actually he's listed as a 1st baseman... and a lefty to boot...I forgot that, but hey I'd venture any team with a 6 run lead will be swinging in the 9th, sometimes they just want to get the hell out of there.

Always Red
08-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Point taken; Abad the outfielder pitched better, on paper, than Majewski the rehabbing pitcher. Abad also pitched better than Gosling, Standridge, and Robbins, as they all gave up hits and Abad did not.

Maybe Andy Abad should pitch more, eh? We can always use more relievers!:beerme:

ghettochild
08-26-2006, 02:19 PM

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

would you like to go into the majors then and pitch a game?

idiot

Falls City Beer
08-26-2006, 02:27 PM

idiot

I actually think it's a good point, and humorously presented at that. Much more valid than you calling him an idiot.

That is the very opposite of making a point.

I think his point is an excellent one: GM believes he's getting a pennant race-level arm only to find out that said arm is incapable of retiring AAA hitters. This should serve as a painful reminder of Krivsky's hastiness and error in judgment. Maybe next time he won't make a mistake like the one he made in July.

Patrick Bateman
08-26-2006, 02:33 PM
I actually think it's a good point, and humorously presented at that. Much more valid than you calling him an idiot.

I think his point is an excellent one: GM believes he's getting a pennant race-level arm only to find out that said arm is incapable of retiring AAA hitters. This should serve as a painful reminder of Krivsky's hastiness and error in judgment. Maybe next time he won't make a mistake like the one he made in July.

Majewski is not incapable of retiring AAA batters. That's silly to base that on one game while rehabbing.

He's not the best, but should be able to put up a 4.00 type of ERA. He would do just fine in the minors.

SMcGavin
08-26-2006, 03:09 PM
He gave up two unearned runs in ONE minor league game. Saying he is incapable of retiring AAA hitters might be a slight overreaction.

Tony Cloninger
08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
A 4.00 type ERA for a reliever is terrible......even in this offensive era that still continues (even though last night was the first time since 1989 that so few HR's were hit in a full slate of AL games, i think there was 1 or 2)

I realize that 1 bad outing can make a relievers ERA go up and never come down, no matter how well he pitches.....but most people would consider Ryan Franklin to be terrible.....yet he was 4-1 with a 3.55 ERA before last night, so if he is pitching terribly...than a 4.00 ERA would be horrid.

forfreelin04
08-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I think I would be more worried about the guys dropping velocity then his AAA stats in a rehab assignment. That, to me, is much more telling then anything else. A 5 MPH drop in velocity leads me to believe his arm might require more attention. The difference between a 90 MPH fastball and 95 MPH may not seem like a lot. But in the ML today, it is becoming harder and harder to throw a 90 MPH past hitters. Without a decent K pitch, I don't see Magic being any more effect then a 4 plus ERA bullpen pitcher.

Patrick Bateman
08-27-2006, 01:59 AM
A 4.00 type ERA for a reliever is terrible......even in this offensive era that still continues (even though last night was the first time since 1989 that so few HR's were hit in a full slate of AL games, i think there was 1 or 2)

I realize that 1 bad outing can make a relievers ERA go up and never come down, no matter how well he pitches.....but most people would consider Ryan Franklin to be terrible.....yet he was 4-1 with a 3.55 ERA before last night, so if he is pitching terribly...than a 4.00 ERA would be horrid.

A 4.00 ERA for a reliever makes you a middle reliever type of guy. It's close to average. Not something you trade above average regualrs for.

Franklin has pitched well for the Reds, just based on past history it wont continue. If Majewski pitched a full year in AAA he would do just fine. He would have little problem getting mibor leaguers out.

MaineRed
08-27-2006, 07:37 AM
He gave up two unearned runs in ONE minor league game. Saying he is incapable of retiring AAA hitters might be a slight overreaction.

Replace, "might be a slight", with, "is a big time", and I agree 100%.

I wish I could convince myself he didn't just say those things to irritate people. But I can't. He does it too often.

traderumor
08-27-2006, 08:44 AM

I think his point is an excellent one: GM believes he's getting a pennant race-level arm only to find out that said arm is incapable of retiring AAA hitters. This should serve as a painful reminder of Krivsky's hastiness and error in judgment. Maybe next time he won't make a mistake like the one he made in July.Oh, he'll probably make mistakes as a GM. And most of them will probably be based on he isn't building a team the way fan A or fan B or fan C would. Heck, you can go to a Bengals board and see folks say Marvin Lewis doesn't know what he's doing.

Falls City Beer
08-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Oh, he'll probably make mistakes as a GM. And most of them will probably be based on he isn't building a team the way fan A or fan B or fan C would. Heck, you can go to a Bengals board and see folks say Marvin Lewis doesn't know what he's doing.

That's silly, the proof is in the pudding at this point for Lewis.

Best I can tell Krivsky's delivered nada to the Reds' fan base.

Doc. Scott
08-27-2006, 11:35 AM

idiot

This is why I like to stick to the other forum.

Always Red
08-27-2006, 11:40 AM
That's silly, the proof is in the pudding at this point for Lewis.

Best I can tell Krivsky's delivered nada to the Reds' fan base.
well, if the proof for you is a playoff berth (ie- Lewis and the Bengals-and it was a losing one at that), then how can you say Krivsky's delivered nada? The Reds, as of right now, are closer to that (playoffs) than they've been in years? So is it silly to say Kriv is a success if the Reds make the playoffs? or that he's a failure if they don't?

I'm puzzled by that statement. Especially since this team, as of April of 2006, was widely seen as one of the worst in baseball.

All GM's make mistakes, or more correctly, some players do not reach their potential, while some outperform their expectations; GM's are to be judged by the sum total of their moves, and the success or failure of the team, and not by each and every individual transaction, IMHO.

The Kearns/Lopez/Maj/Bray deal gets rehashed here every day. Some folks here are polarized to one extreme or another; and none of it really matters at this point other than wins and losses. All of the stats on earth combined together mean nothing if it does not add up to more W's. My crystal ball does not tell me if the Reds would be better with Austin and FeLo still on the team.

I think Narron and Krivsky are both doing good jobs- not great, but good. certainly, mistakes have been made.

Personally, I give more credit to Bob Castellini, his energy, and his insistence on winning than I do to either Narron or Krivsky. But to say Krivsky has done nada for the fan base, is puzzling to me, at best.

Always Red
08-27-2006, 11:41 AM
This is why I like to stick to the other forum.
and that's why I'll be there when I have garnered enough rep points!

westofyou
08-27-2006, 11:44 AM
But to say Krivsky has done nada for the fan base, is puzzling to me, at best.

It's also the POV of someone who sits in Philadelphia, hey FCB... how many Reds fans have you talked to in the Tri State Area about this ineffective bunch of losers gone awry?

Falls City Beer
08-27-2006, 01:00 PM
It's also the POV of someone who sits in Philadelphia, hey FCB... how many Reds fans have you talked to in the Tri State Area about this ineffective bunch of losers gone awry?

Went to a game in Cincy in early July, something like 20,000 people there on a weekend night. O'Brien turned out those kind of numbers.

Until this team makes the playoffs, they are the redheaded stepchild in town, and anyone in the tri-state who isn't a Redszone-level Reds' fan will tell you that.

westofyou
08-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Went to a game in Cincy in early July, something like 20,000 people there on a weekend night. O'Brien turned out those kind of numbers.
That's it?

One game?

How many playoff ticket applications were in the mail during the Dan O era?

Have you actually read any of the papers in the Tri State area about the Reds this summer?

Saying he's done "nada" is a big bunch of hooey... but have at it, no day should go by without a little gray.

mbgrayson
08-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Majewski pitched again today. Saw three batters, struck em all out.

dabvu2498
08-28-2006, 08:10 AM
I was at the game in Toledo on Friday night. Majewski would have been out of the inning with 1 BB and nothing else had it not been for Rey Olmedo's error. Proof that the box score doesn't tell the whole story.

Andy Abad did look decent, though. Appeared to be throwing a knuckleball. The stadium gun wasn't working at that point, so I don't know velocity, but whatever breaking pitch he was throwing looked OK.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
08-28-2006, 10:13 AM

This is a worse point than calling him an idiot. Come on, look at maj's stats until this point. If you think he is uncapable then you have no business posting. Anyone with any baseball knowledge can understand that not being at 100% no matter at what level is a huge disadvantage. AAA Hitters are still being paid and they can all hit a baseball. I think you may have misspoken due to the fact that there was some name calling and you wanted to step in, but in all reality maj has been a very servicable reliever before his injury, and i dont think that putting on a reds uniform all of the sudden sucked the talent out of his arm. If you didn't like the trade thats fine, but dislike it for the right reasons, if maj was healthy when we got him in the trade this would have been a good deal imo.