PDA

View Full Version : Minor League games at GABP

TOBTTReds
08-26-2006, 05:28 PM
Marty just mentioned on the radio that Boston is having two games of their minor league teams play at Fenway while the Red Sox are out of town. That would be a great marketing promotion. Next Homer Bailey start should be at GABP (with the Lookouts). THAT would sell some tickets.

Maybe that is something they could work out for next season.

goreds2
08-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Fenway could draw any type of event. Not a bad idea at all.

blumj
08-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm watching it on tv, and it's a great event. I wish I'd been able to go. But the thing that made it possible is how close the 2 minor league teams are to Boston. I don't think they could ever do something like this if there was any distance involved. And, by the way, Joshua Papelbon just saved his first game at Fenway Park, about 3 years ahead of his big brother's schedule. He throws just like Chad Bradford. Oh, and Quinton McCracken just got a hit.

goreds2
08-26-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm watching it on tv, and it's a great event. I wish I'd been able to go. But the thing that made it possible is how close the 2 minor league teams are to Boston. I don't think they could ever do something like this if there was any distance involved. And, by the way, Joshua Papelbon just saved his first game at Fenway Park, about 3 years ahead of his big brother's schedule. He throws just like Chad Bradford. Oh, and Quinton McCracken just got a hit.

I am sure the two teams get a majority of the gate money.

TeamBoone
08-26-2006, 11:56 PM
You should send Bob Castellini a letter about this. Maybe he'd try to do something similar.

Columbus has the Clippers so they wouldn't have to travel far. The Bats could play them as both are AAA.

There are plenty of teams around but I'm not sure what level they all are. Is there still a team in Indianapolis?

Reds Nd2
08-27-2006, 12:15 AM
The Bats could play the Indianapolis Indians, Toledo Mud Hens, or the Columbus Clippers as all are in the West division of the International League.

The Dragons could play either of their Midwest rivals, the South Bend Silver Hawks or the Fort Wayne Wizards.

Always Red
08-27-2006, 09:05 AM
That would be cool to see, but I'd bet it's not going to happen until the Reds themselves start filling GABP without half price tickets- no way is Mr. Cast going to risk having a minor league affiliate outdraw the Reds in their home park.

mth123
08-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Having lived in minor league towns most of my life, I wonder what the impact would be to the fans in the minor league town. Some of these teams have quite a following and the fans may be upset if a home game or series to a heated rival is lost so the team can play in the big league city.

Not sure really.

Chip R
08-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Since the stadium is owned by Hamilton County, and not the Reds, it is more up to them than the Reds. Plus that would probably be something the Reds would not see any money on. I think mth123 has a good point. Using Dayton as an example, there are people there who pay good money to go downtown and see a Dragons game. Now, all of a sudden, they are moving that game to Cincinnati? If you have reliable transportation you can make it but why pay big league prices for minor league baseball?

REDREAD
08-28-2006, 08:05 AM
I think it would work out better if the city wasn't so close. For example, if someone really wanted to see the Dayton Dragons, they could drive to Dayton from Cincy.

It would be a nice gesture to have a minor league game at the GABP for minor league prices, but I doubt that's happening :lol: