PDA

View Full Version : What is the most you would give up to get David Wells??

joshnky
08-29-2006, 04:40 PM
This is an interesting discussion and something I've thought about since I saw that he cleared waivers. He has pitched well the past few starts and has historically done well this time of year. He could certainly propel us into the playoffs and maybe further. Lets be realistic in this discussion and consider that the deal will probably be for prospects as PTBNL's (meaning not Jason LaRue or Royce Clayton.) Keep in mind that several other teams including the Cards and Mets are bidding as well.

I think that Tyler Pelland and Brendan Harris might be enough given that the other clubs aren't loaded in the minors either. I might even replace one of these two with Cueto if thats what it takes.

What do you think or do you want him at all?

BEETTLEBUG
08-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Yes I would do that deal.

crazybob60
08-29-2006, 05:37 PM
I really don't know if I would want to give up either of those three. I am always a little leary of dealing one of better minor leaguers for a rent-a-player although Wells could help, but he could also tank it as well....I just don't know, I am still not sold on this. I would only be about 50/50 on this, I definitely would not do it for Cueto, but for Harris or Pelland maybe, but just maybe. Ok, that was probably confusing.

machineguy
08-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Anderson Machado and a case of beer.

wheels
08-29-2006, 05:39 PM
I've got a few crumbs in my couch that have just been hanging around.

That's about all I'd give.

crazybob60
08-29-2006, 05:39 PM

Would Wells drink that case of beer before arriving though?

REDREAD
08-29-2006, 05:49 PM
I think the Red Sox are going to get someone to give at least one player that is significant. There's no point in them trading Wells for pure filler (like Machado, Harris, etc).

How far would I go? Well, two weeks ago, I would've given a lot more, because I had more confidence we'd hang on to the wildcard.

On the ORG thread, I speculated that it would probably take a package like Shackleford + Wood to get the job done. Yes, that's steep, but the price is high when Boston has the only available decent starter on the market.

At this point, I would not get into a bidding war for Wells. If we were 4 or 5 games up in the WC race, I would probably pay the above mentioned price.
The offense has totally disappeared, and getting Wells isn't going to fix that, sadly.

wheels
08-29-2006, 05:55 PM
I think the Red Sox are going to get someone to give at least one player that is significant. There's no point in them trading Wells for pure filler (like Machado, Harris, etc).

How far would I go? Well, two weeks ago, I would've given a lot more, because I had more confidence we'd hang on to the wildcard.

On the ORG thread, I speculated that it would probably take a package like Shackleford + Wood to get the job done. Yes, that's steep, but the price is high when Boston has the only available decent starter on the market.

At this point, I would not get into a bidding war for Wells. If we were 4 or 5 games up in the WC race, I would probably pay the above mentioned price.
The offense has totally disappeared, and getting Wells isn't going to fix that, sadly.

Wells is downright awful, and his career is over.

No need to throw away Travis Wood on....THAT THING.

TOBTTReds
08-29-2006, 06:02 PM
No one with an attached labrum in our system, and no on bruce and votto....after that, feel free.

What would Wells give us? A chance to win the WC maybe. After that, he's worthless (I know winning the wild card means a lot, but I'd rather build for a solid future than this years team). This team still needs to focus on the future.

Golden Hands
08-29-2006, 06:16 PM
The Red Sox had Pelland at one point....and traded him....I doubt they would take him back. Wells is 43 years old so he will likely retire rather soon if not after this year. With the Reds struggling of late I would not want to give up any future contributors for a guy who will at most be here 2 years....if he re-signs. I would give up a machado type player but im sure the Red Sox have better offers for Wells on the table right now.

Patrick Bateman
08-29-2006, 06:22 PM
I would not trade Cueto for any Wells deal.

I'm even reluctant to trade Pelland for him. Wells has been injured and terrible this season, so I don't really like his chances of helping much this season. I'd be willing to swing a similar package that was given for Moyer. Some fringy prospects that have little hope of becoming decent big leaguers while eating the rest of Wells' contract. Anything more would be too much IMO.

Always Red
08-29-2006, 06:45 PM
The Reds have 30 games left. At best, Wells would pitch in 6, maybe, of those games. Hopefully, at best probably, that would equal 4 wins.

How much does 4 wins cost?

Personally, I'd give the Sox cash. Not sure if you can do it at this time, but 50K per start equals $300,000.

I would not give any prospects at all for David Wells. He has no future in the game, and is a 6 game rental.

Handofdeath
08-29-2006, 06:52 PM
With Big Papi out for who knows how long, this might be the time to trade Junior. I would make the trade.

guttle11
08-29-2006, 06:54 PM
They'll get nothing, and like it.

No Wells, please.

mth123
08-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Only some one not in the plan. Bergolla or Machado or Brendan Watson. Maybe they'll take bausher back.

flynn78
08-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I'll chip in a 1988 Eric Davis fan button.

KYRed
08-29-2006, 09:51 PM
According to Buster Olney (for what that's worth), it's likely down to STL, SD, or LA for Wells.

Redus
08-29-2006, 10:27 PM
He doesnt want to be here. Forget him.

fearofpopvol1
08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Lancaster said it would take a mid-level prospect. Give up Olmedo, Bergolla or one of those guys. Wayne can get 'er done.

No way the Sox just take cash. They want something out of the deal given the thin pitching market (especially playoff experienced pitching). $300K (to whoever suggested that) is laughable. That's pennies to the BoSox.

BigRed
08-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Very little to nothing. This guy would be a clubhouse cancer.

CTA513
08-30-2006, 09:46 PM

I can throw in a box of Eggo waffles that have been in my freezer for over a year.

Reverend Doo-Rag
08-30-2006, 10:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2566883

Padres probably getting Wells....

Always Red
08-30-2006, 10:12 PM
$300K (to whoever suggested that) is laughable. That's pennies to the BoSox.

I suggested it, because I don't think he's worth more than that for the 5-6 starts he would make for this team. He's done after this year, and he's not even worth Bergolla, who may turn out to be a decent back-up infielder someday. You're right, that $ is nothing to the Sox; but they're done with him, too, and their season is more over than ours is.

This Reds team is not going to win the World Series. If we sneak into the playoffs this year, well, that's great. But I have an eye towards the future, and Wells has no part in that at all.

This team is only 5 games better than it was last year at this time, but we're also a lot closer to the rest of the league than we have been in the past.

Very little to nothing. This guy would be a clubhouse cancer.
A lot of people feel this way. If the Sox are giving him away, then take him. Don't mortgage any part of the future for him.

bounty37h
08-31-2006, 11:23 AM
I wouldnt give the fresh poop in my butt for him

RollyInRaleigh
08-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Ain't that some pretty talk.

klw
08-31-2006, 01:44 PM
I would send them Larue for Wells and Clement (salary dump for the sox).

dougdirt
08-31-2006, 04:46 PM
If the Padres are willing to drop what they are being rumored to drop, we cant and shouldnt match it. They are giving up a whole lot for him.

BEETTLEBUG
08-31-2006, 05:01 PM
I would do that deal klw even though Clements is on 60-day DL

goreds2
08-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Too late:

BREAKING NEWS
Red Sox trade Wells to Padres
ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports the Boston Red Sox have traded pitcher David Wells to the San Diego Padres.