PDA

View Full Version : Griffey hitting cleanup.

Wyatt Earp
08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
This may have been discussed on here and i apologize but i didn't see it. What do you guys think of this and how did Narron get him to do it? What's next he moves to right and we put Freel in center.

2001MUgrad
08-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Who knows how Narron comes up with what he does come up with. Dunn hits GREAT in the second slot, so, why was he moved to 5th?? Now, back to second. EE hit great in 4th, now move him to 3rd. Who knows why for anything with the batting order. Why is Clayton playing so much also. Haven't seen Castro get a start in a while.

Chip R
08-30-2006, 11:31 AM
This may have been discussed on here and i apologize but i didn't see it. What do you guys think of this and how did Narron get him to do it?

He made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

ol'Sparky
08-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Narron said .... Ken, would you clean up ? ............... Ken said "sure"

Z-Fly
08-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Who's in charge here?!? Why doesn't the converstation go after Griffey sees the line-up card, "Coach am I hittng clean up?"..... Narron "Yeah"..... Griff, "O Ok"

durl
08-30-2006, 02:29 PM
EE sure had trouble batting third Tuesday night. One game isn't enough decide such things, but I'd be in favor of putting Jr and EE back to 3 and 4.

And 2001MUgrad, I also wonder why Castro isn't playing more. He's very impressive on the defensive side. He's not known for his bat, but I think he should get a chance.

TOBTTReds
08-30-2006, 03:00 PM
I think Griffey batting 3rd has always been Narron's call. IIRC, Griffey has batted in different spots throughout his years here, including 4th this year...I think. Correct me if I am wrong.

Wyatt Earp
08-30-2006, 03:10 PM
I think Griffey batting 3rd has always been Narron's call. IIRC, Griffey has batted in different spots throughout his years here, including 4th this year...I think. Correct me if I am wrong.

I thought Griffey predominatly hit in the 3 hole his entire career to get more atbats.

TOBTTReds
08-30-2006, 03:27 PM
I thought Griffey predominatly hit in the 3 hole his entire career to get more atbats.

OK, I was unaware.

Chip R
08-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Jr has batted lower in the order than 3rd since he has been here. Not often, but it has happened.

Matt700wlw
08-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Jerry reads Redszone.

Matt700wlw
08-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Jr has batted lower in the order than 3rd since he has been here. Not often, but it has happened.

Boone had him at 5 or 6 I believe for a short time.

Redhook
08-31-2006, 03:36 AM

JR. batted cleanup in 60 games last year totally 254 plate appearances. Apparantly, JR. doesn't have a big problem with it.

I'm really not sure why Narron took so long to move JR. out of the 3 spot. And why during JR's hot streak? Doesn't make any sense. JR. probably should have been batting 4th or 5th the entire season. Narron's just a little slow sometimes (moving Dunn to the 2nd spot, moving JR, playing EE everyday, playing Aurilia over Clayton, etc. etc.) on the most obvious stuff.

goGUEST!
08-31-2006, 05:24 AM
who cares what Jr thinks! really!
manage the figgin team and do what ya got to.... at least miley would move JR around when he was slumping. Its crunch time! these games MEAN MORE than the others (i don't care what Bob Boone says):thumbdown :

You must turn it up, reach for more, take it to a higher gear.... and I don't know if Narron can be that kind of manager. Someone has to impress this notion! It is time to DO...... IT. Stop playing Clayton! stop it. just stop it. :bang: If you want defense, use Castro! give him a chance. he has heart, passion for THIS team, and plays the game the right way... so what is the problem?

We cannot trade away all of our chips for mediocre players. Krivsky! stop getting low level players and losing everything we have to barter with for crap. We only have so much talent (as is evidenced by any optins in the minors which results in us getting the flotsam of other teams instead of bringing someone up).

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

sorry. had to rant. :cry:

I've been a narron supporter.. :help: but losing a chance to return pinella makes me want to see good things managing wise and clayton in the lineup is indefensible at this point.:explode:

his defense is worse than Lopez's by far. Get to the ball! you scrappy veteran you. If you're sucking it up on the field, at least play with some freaking passion!:angry:

again, I apologize.

goREDS!

whew... i feel better now.
:beerme:

HUHUH
08-31-2006, 02:14 PM
I believe Narron began hitting Jr. cleanup the game after he failed to run to first on the strikeout. When I saw that Jr. was hitting 4th, the first thing that came to my mind was that it was "punishment" for not hustling. At least that is kinda what I had hoped it was. Something needed to be done/said. Junior not running was DISGRACEFUL. He should have been benched.

redsupport
08-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Junior has been an albatross, Iknow it is so difficult for people to acknowledge but the numbers are what they are. Griffey has no right to be a three or four hitter at this point

Razor Shines
08-31-2006, 04:55 PM
Junior has been an albatross, Iknow it is so difficult for people to acknowledge but the numbers are what they are. Griffey has no right to be a three or four hitter at this point

Here are Jr's numbers for August: .309/.392/.500. That's not worthy of hitting in the 3 or 4 spot on our team? His OBP has gone up 34 points in the last month from .288 to .322. He is moving back toward career norms, and it leads me to believe that his slumps this season have been just that slumps, perhaps flukes, and not that he is washed up and worthless.

redsupport
08-31-2006, 04:58 PM
how about rbi's do they count?

Ltlabner
08-31-2006, 06:59 PM

Redsupport's love of Jr. knows no bounds. In fact, he made up a cute little nic-name for Jr and used it on a different forum: "Whiffey" . Pretty clever eh?

Get it? "Whiffey" . Sort of a play on words.

To each their own......

Razor Shines
08-31-2006, 08:20 PM

RBI are somewhat teammate driven, and yes he could do better with RISP. However, he's second on the team in RBI and xtra base hits. You're original comment was that he shouldn't be a 3rd or 4th hitter, and my question is: Who on this team should be in those spots over him? Especially in the last month. Someone brought up the fact that this is "crunch time", and Jr's been his best during this "crunch time".

i_heart_jason
09-01-2006, 12:12 AM
/sigh

Homer Bailey
09-01-2006, 01:30 AM
I think griff got moved to cleanup to avoid having back to back lefties (dunn and griff) in the 2 and 3 spots (despite dunn being considerably better against lefties than righties). That way, late in a close game, its harder for the other team to get a favorable matchup.

And don't even get me started on royce clayton... castro is better both offensively and defensivly. He has made countless clutch defensive plays this year and he hasnt really got a good chance to play.

socks inside out til we win again...