PDA

View Full Version : Most anticipated debut?

RadfordVA
08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
While the debate on Homer rages on Im sure we are all looking forward to his debut when ever it happens. I was wondering what are the debuts that you were most excited to see. Of course a lot of the ones recently have not turned out to be that great in the end like Wagner and Larson. Since I live in VA, this is the first year I have followed the reds online and have known as much about the organization as whole as I do. Therefore I dont really have anyone that compares to Bailey. I was at in attendance at Josh Hall's debut which I was excited about at the time. Sad I know but he was a young pitcher from VA and he looked really good in his first start. After that not so much.

HBP
08-30-2006, 03:46 PM
I was really excited when Claussen came up. Edwin last year was big, he had put up great numbers in L'ville and everyone had been talking about him since spring training.

I very faintly remember when Reggie Sanders first started playing. I was so pumped to get his Upper Deck rookie card.

joshnky
08-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Adam Dunn's debut was pretty big after he was destroying AAA ptiching and then continued to do the same in the big leagues.

HotCorner
08-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Adam Dunn's debut was pretty big after he was destroying AAA ptiching and then continued to do the same in the big leagues.

Yep. The same type of tracking was done with Dunn that season like with Homer this season.

Joseph
08-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Wade Rowdon.

Or maybe not.

Highlifeman21
08-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Rob Bell.

Without a doubt...

Team Clark
08-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Kerry Wood comes to mind.

Brett Tomko is another.

Dave Collins when he returned to the Reds.

NastyBoy
08-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Paul Householder :help:

Highlifeman21
08-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Kerry Wood comes to mind.

Brett Tomko is another.

Dave Collins when he returned to the Reds.

Toss Mark Prior on that list.

Add Brien Taylor to it as well.

And let's not forget Bill Pulsipher, or Ariel Prieto to that list.

Todd Van Poppel anyone?

I can go all night.....

redsfan30
08-30-2006, 05:25 PM
I was pumped for Claussen's debut against Milwaukee in 2004.

remdog
08-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Johnny Bench.

Rem

roundboy22
08-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Joe Mays:mooner:

HumnHilghtFreel
08-31-2006, 08:07 AM
Delmon Young? Well, in his mind anyway... lol

George Anderson
08-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Growing up in Indianapolis in the late 70's and early 80's, any player who had played for the Indians and got the call up to the Reds was a big deal. Ronnie Oester, Paul Householder, Champ Summers, Mario Soto, Eddie Milner, Charlie Liebrandt and Harry Spillman were all players that I remember made me very excited to see them called up to the bigs!

flyer85
08-31-2006, 01:04 PM
by the time of a Homer debut in September(if it happens) it may be a big fizzle because if the Pads can sweep the Reds they can basically kiss the playoffs goodbye.

BoydsOfSummer
08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
I remember being really geeked about Jack Armstrong's debut. It was good for a little while.

Redsland
08-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Deion.

That third time.

Oh, and Rijo.

That sixth time.

crazybob60
08-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Back when Wily Mo Pena first came up, I had been following him in the minors for a bit. Then I went to not his first game, but one of his first games, in which it was a barnburner where both the Reds and Cubs scored double-digits. I remember as I was walking around the outer section of the Red seats and then heard his name announced and I ducked in one of the corridor things at the old stadium only to see him jack out his first HR. Yeah, I was a little pumped about that....

OnBaseMachine
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Dunn back in '01.

Newman4
08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
I was there for Dunn's debut. I remember thinking 'Man, I see why he played football' The Reds lost 5-3 with Jose "Ace" Acevedo allowing 4 first inning runs against the Marlins. My wife and I were on vacation and sat in the nose bleed section of Pro Player Stadium and listened to all the drunk floridians who knew very little about baseball, Reds, etc. All they could say it seems was "Reds suck, huh, huh" It was like Beavis and Butthead live for 3 1/2 hours.

MWM
08-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Eric Davis was the first debut I became really excited about. He was the first Reds minor leaguer I ever really followed.

zombie-a-go-go
09-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Brandon Larson!

Rojo
09-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Most of the core of the 90's team, particularly O'Neil and Larkin. First time I saw Larkin, he was playing second to Kurt Stillwell's shortstop.

Always Red
09-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Growing up in Indianapolis in the late 70's and early 80's, any player who had played for the Indians and got the call up to the Reds was a big deal. Ronnie Oester, Paul Householder, Champ Summers, Mario Soto, Eddie Milner, Charlie Liebrandt and Harry Spillman were all players that I remember made me very excited to see them called up to the bigs!

I remember there was a lot of buzz for Paul Householder back then. He was supposed to be a vital cog in retooling the BRM.

klw
09-01-2006, 01:23 PM
I remember the buss on Householder too and all the puns about it not being long until he is a Household(er) name. It wan't a major league debut but Jr's first day in Spring Training with the Reds was a zoo. Off the Reds, I remember huge buzz when the Mets brought up Strawberry back in the day.

redsupport
09-01-2006, 01:46 PM
I was incredibly agog with anticipation and outwardly trembling and quivering with avid excitement when Arturo de Frietas and Rafael Santo Domingomade their debut. Why the entire pantheon of sports writers gathered and opined that their performance was so illustrious and magnificent that it brought back memories of the epic work of Len Boehmer and Mike grace, even Jay Ward and Jake Wood were cited

RBA
09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Motorboat Jones?

Also, I think he will be the character the story revolves around in "Field of Dreams II"