PDA

View Full Version : Late inning player switches

Ltlabner
08-30-2006, 08:13 PM
In general, how do you guys feel about late inning player swaps, specifically to put in solid D guys? Forget last night, I'm talking in general terms.

My gut response to them has been "if the guy can't be counted on to make a play in the 9th, why is he in the game in the 5th?". A game could be lost in an earlier inning because of a defensive screw up could it not? Also, I don't care for taking out offensive power to shore up the D in later innings because if you go into extended innings you have less "power bats" who can win the game in one swing.

OTOH, If a guy swings a big bat but has defensive issues I guess I can see why you'd want to take advantage of his bat in the early innings while removing his errors in the late innings when you have less outs to overcome the mistake. A serrious defensive lapse could lose the game in one swing also.

But I still lean towards the idea that if you can't trust a guy in the 9th, you shouldn't trust him the other 8 innings either.

pedro
08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
I think Narron overdoes the double switch and defensive replacement stuff.

westofyou
08-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I want my bench players coming to the park ready to play.

Gene Mauch

You have 25 slots, use em all and use em right.

No manager will put a man in the game that he thinks he'll lose with, nor will any manager leave a man on the bench that he thinks he will win with.

Earl Weaver

GridironGrace
08-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I think you all are overlooking a key point in why we see the late inning switches alot.

I feel.. now this is just IMO but, I think they are put in late in most cases for the sole purpose they dont lose thier "EYE" and they get some reps in the field.. and possibly batting in the late innings so that thier USEFUL if needed down the road, and are not rusty from sitting so much.

Dom Heffner
08-30-2006, 08:43 PM
The big difference is that in the 9th, you already know that the game is going to be close.

In the 5th, it could end up being a blowout for either side.

If the score is 9-8 in the 8th, it hs been established that it is a close game.

In the early innings, things could go any which way, and you get 4 or 5 innings more of chances for an at bat for the guy who may not have a great glove but who carries a big stick.

If he drives in 4 and you are up by a run or two in late innings, then you pull him for a better defensive sub- you already have enough to win if your bullpen and defense hold up.

I really don't agree with this thinking myself, but this could be the mindset behind the moves.

TeamBoone
08-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Except for your "OTOH" comment, I agree with your theory. It makes a ton of sense... especially when the game is close or tied in the late innings (I define late innings as 8 and 9).

The reason I don't agree with the other is because of only one part of your statement... "removing his errors in the late innings". IMHO, unless said player has made a phenominal amount of errors vs his chances of making an error, the trade-off of losing the bat vs him making an error is not worth the alleged gain as the chance of him making an error is very small.

TeamBoone
08-30-2006, 08:45 PM
I feel.. now this is just IMO but, I think they are put in late in most cases for the sole purpose they dont lose thier "EYE" and they get some reps in the field.. and possibly batting in the late innings so that thier USEFUL if needed down the road, and are not rusty from sitting so much.

That's a fine idea.... but not when the game is 1 or 2 runs in the 8/9th innings. That's when it becomes foolish.

GridironGrace
08-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Another thing to think about is .. do you have a particlular INF who gets to ground balls better?

Is it a ground ball pitcher or a fly ball pitcher?? thats your biggest ?.

Are the batters coming up to bat contact hitters or power hitters....
Is there a bigger chance of a Righty batter pulling the ball to Edwin and SS?

If so you want your best defenders on that side of the field late in a game.. so thats another thing to dwell on.

Ltlabner
08-30-2006, 08:49 PM
The reason I don't agree with the other is because of only one part of your statement... "removing his errors in the late innings". IMHO, unless said player has made a phenominal amount of errors vs his chances of making an error, the trade-off of losing the bat vs him making an error is not worth the alleged gain as the chance of him making an error is very small.

To be honest, I threw in the OTOH portion in an attempt to play devils advocate or try to see some reasoning in taking a guy out in a late & close game because of his D.

Basically I feal the same way you do about it.

GridironGrace
08-30-2006, 08:53 PM
All in all we will prolly never know the reasoning behind some of the switches unless Narron EXPLAINS.

But really, there are so many things to factor into this equation you can never really know why, or give a straight answer

flyer85
08-30-2006, 09:08 PM
don't care for it.

Last night Narron switched out his two best power hitters(Dunn and Ross) and basically ended up with a lineup with little capability to score.

RedsManRick
08-30-2006, 10:36 PM
You only take a stick out for a glove when you don't expect that stick to get another AB. Period.