PDA

View Full Version : The key to April

Red Rover
08-31-2006, 04:57 PM
I've been looking at the Reds stats and trying to figure out what is the difference today than back in April.

April
Batting .267/.468/.831
Pitching 17-8 4.85 ERA
12 home & 13 away

August
Batting .253/.443/.770
Pitching 12-17 4.70 ERA
16 home & 13 away

What does everyone think is the defference; batting, pitching, bench, fielding, managing, teams played, etc.

redsmetz
08-31-2006, 05:00 PM
For the most part (and there are a handful of games which would be the exception) it's a lack of TIMELY hitting. Although defense may have played into it (e.g. I can't watch the game, but I wonder how close Clayton was to fielding Maddux run scoring hit.

Johnny Footstool
08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
10-3 in close games (decided by 1 or 2 runs) in April.

6-6 in close games in August.

Red Rover
08-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Agree that timely hitting is a big key, but could be mostly due to the bench. Our best bench hitters are now playing everyday. There is a reason Freel, Hatty and Rich are bench players. I think they all need rest. Look for tomorrow, after the day off, for better timely hitting. There are a few more days off in September, so hopefully they start to shine.

GitRDunn
08-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Agree that timely hitting is a big key, but could be mostly due to the bench. Our best bench hitters are now playing everyday. There is a reason Freel, Hatty and Rich are bench players. I think they all need rest. Look for tomorrow, after the day off, for better timely hitting. There are a few more days off in September, so hopefully they start to shine.

Hmmmm... for those people who have real jobs, there are no bench "players" to spell everyday "players". For most people, they are expected to do their job and do it right regardless of how tired they are. How many people in the real world have 4+ months off their job every year?

I don't buy into the whole idea that bench players cannot play everyday because they get too tired. If 1 day of rest will solve their hitting problems, then perhaps we shouldn't consider these guys athletes. :rolleyes:

westofyou
08-31-2006, 05:42 PM
How many people in the real world have 4+ months off their job every year? That has nothing to do with the rigors of baseball day in and day out ofr 7 months.

then perhaps we shouldn't consider these guys athletes

They're not... they're Baseball Players.

GitRDunn
08-31-2006, 05:49 PM
That has nothing to do with the rigors of baseball day in and day out ofr 7 months.

The point is... the season is NOW. They have all the time the world to rest in the off-season. I can think of several other jobs more grueling than baseball that people in the real world have to do with only 2 weeks off

They're not... they're Baseball Players.

So, you're saying Baseball isn't a sport? Last time I checked, you have to be considered an athlete to play a sport, or maybe it's vice versa... if you play a sport, you're considered an athlete. Either way, if they are not athletes, then they must not be playing a sport

TOBTTReds
08-31-2006, 06:00 PM
The point is... the season is NOW. They have all the time the world to rest in the off-season. I can think of several other jobs more grueling than baseball that people in the real world have to do with only 2 weeks off

They don't say to themselves..."Gee, I'm tired, I need a week off," their body tells them this. That is why a lot of guys go to lighter bats in August bc their arms are a bit more tired than they were in April.

Those jobs that are tough that you mention; I bet they start to slow and tire as the months go on. People who do physical labor naturally get tired.

***This has nothing to do with my argument of why they are doing worse, I was just jumping in on the "tired" argument.

As far as why they aren't playing as well, I just think some guys were a bit of their head. Sometimes players slump at bad times. Sometimes the WHOLE team gets the "oh man, we suck" attitude. And I think that is what we have. Earlier in the year, they were having fun, Dunn was hitting well, Griffey was hitting OK in April. I think Adam Dunn is the key to our offensive success, and he just hasn't been there lately.

westofyou
08-31-2006, 06:06 PM
I can think of several other jobs more grueling than baseball that people in the real world have to do with only 2 weeks off

Just several?

I can think of many, however it doesn't diminish the argument that the baseball season is a grueling drain.

You're comparing apples and bricks.

Ltlabner
08-31-2006, 06:14 PM
You're comparing apples and bricks.

Is that anything like comparing an Ernest Borgnine to a George Kennedy?

BaseballBum
08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
The "key" to April is not that complicated. Out of the 26 games they played that month, only three games were played against a team that has a winning record. (Cards).

Red Rover
09-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Walks seem to be another key difference.

April
122 BB in 25 games = 4.9 per game
pitching allowed 75 = 3.0 per game
almost 2 walks a game more

August
98 BB in 29 games = 3.4 per game
pitching allowed 108 = 3.7 per game
about half a walk less

Teams know how to pitch to the Reds now, just throw strikes and get ahead in the count. The Reds pitchers have done the opposite.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Hmmmm... for those people who have real jobs, there are no bench "players" to spell everyday "players". For most people, they are expected to do their job and do it right regardless of how tired they are. How many people in the real world have 4+ months off their job every year?

I don't buy into the whole idea that bench players cannot play everyday because they get too tired. If 1 day of rest will solve their hitting problems, then perhaps we shouldn't consider these guys athletes. :rolleyes:

come on, do you have any idea what it takes to get in shape for a major league season, these guys don't get four months off, they go through workouts that would make the average man cry. Go out and play softball everyday for two weeks and see how you feel, and thats softball. How many times have you had to work two hours after you were supposed to go home then hopped on a plane to go and stay in a hotel in a different time zone, sleep for a couple hours and then head to work to take batting practice.

Heath
09-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Is that anything like comparing an Ernest Borgnine to a George Kennedy?

Or Ricardo Montelban to Garth Alger of Wayne's World?

Always Red
09-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Walks seem to be another key difference.

April
122 BB in 25 games = 4.9 per game
pitching allowed 75 = 3.0 per game
almost 2 walks a game more

August
98 BB in 29 games = 3.4 per game
pitching allowed 108 = 3.7 per game
about half a walk less

Teams know how to pitch to the Reds now, just throw strikes and get ahead in the count. The Reds pitchers have done the opposite.

A lot of us here have referred to the Reds lack of timely hitting, myself included.

I wonder how RISP average has differed from April to August?

I've looked, but can't seem to figure out where to find that stat.