PDA

View Full Version : Who's your Reds MVP in '06

TexasRed
08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
OK, I know the season still has a month to go but with all the loosing lately I thought I would try to ask a positive. So, if the season ended today who do you think should be annointed the most valuable player in the Reds clubhouse?

WMR
08-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Adam Dunn. Easily.

Always Red
08-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Lots of baseball left to be played.

I'll vote at the end of September!

guttle11
08-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Adam Dunn. Easily.

Yep. Adam Dunn had a bad August, and so did the Reds.

Any questions?

kbrake
08-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Adam Dunn.

Cedric
08-31-2006, 11:24 PM
Brandon Phillips.

Some stupid mental errors, but the best mix of speed/stick/defense we have.

goreds2
08-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Rich Aurilla and Ryan Freel CO-MVP's.

They did no wrong this year and played every position well.

I think the Reds were a few games over .500 with Ryan starting.

Patrick Bateman
08-31-2006, 11:51 PM
I say Aaron Harang.

He's one of the most dependable guys in the league and he eats innings. I don't know where we'd be without him on top of the rotation.

Adam Dunn is certainly at the top of the the list as well.

Wheelhouse
08-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Adam Dunn. Easily.

Bah! Harang.

Razor Shines
09-01-2006, 03:24 AM
I've also got to throw my vote in for Harang. On offense I have to say Dunn, although a full season from EE may have made it close.

The title made me think this was to predict next year's MVP.

jhiller21
09-01-2006, 03:35 AM
It has to be Brandon Phillips, who thought when we signed him we would get this kind of offensive production?

Edit: honorable mention goes to David Ross

As far as pitching goes: Arroyo and Harang are the reason we stuck around as long as we did.

mth123
09-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Adam Dunn. Aaron Harang. No other choices really.

REDREAD
09-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Harang tops Dunn, IMO. Not by a whole lot, but if I had to choose only one of them, I'd pick Harang. Dunn is a hitting/OBP machine but his defense is enough of a liability to exclude him from being MVP (note Dunn is still an excellent player, even with that flaw). Also Harang had an outstanding year.

RadfordVA
09-01-2006, 05:37 AM
06 mvp: Harang, but hopefully it is to be determined by someone getting hot asap and carrying us the rest of the way. 07 mvp: Barry Zito. Wishful thinking:) I just saw a sick stat, that in his career Zito is 84-5 when he gets 4 or more runs of support in a start. With our offense I like those odds.

Ltlabner
09-01-2006, 08:00 AM
My vote goes to Harang. He's pitched well and even when he's having an off night he still finds a way to keep us in the game. He's progressed beyond where he was last year (at least that is my perception) and grown in confidence and poise on the mound. Beating Carpenter in that 1-0 game was a demonstration of how much he's developed. He's had a number of purely spectacular performances on the mound this year.

Phillips is worthy of consideration. He's brought good D and a nice bat to the line up when everybody expected him to be crap. He's had some base running blunders and very untimley errors that set him back a bit, IMO.

Honerable mentions: Hatteburg, EE and Ross. Definatley had some memorable contributions. EE I expect to see keep it up. Ross is a question mark since this year is so out of the norm for him. Hatt has been simply amazing at finding a way to get onbase. He's been pretty solid at 1B dealing with the early year throwing circus that was Lopez & EE. His big time slump latley has hurt his consideration for MVP.

Dunn: This is not a knock against Dunn in any way, but I didn't consider him for MVP only because Dunn does what Dunn does (and he does it very well). I guess he's a victem of his own success in my eyes. Since he's looks to be doing what he's done for the past 2 seasons, he's got to do something special to be MVP, IMO. Of course, for what he provides the team in offense he's going to have to do something pretty amazing to top it so maybe I'm not being reasonable. The defensive issues hurt his cause also.

HalMorrisfan77
09-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Im gonna go by what player has pee'd me off the least this year. And that is Hatteberg. He has just been solid.

Few untimely errors (3), no baserunning mistakes, rarely strikes out (only 37), best OBP%

Freel and Phillips = indigestion (due to baserunning)

Dunn and Griff = indigestion (due to K's with runners in position, at 3rd base usually)

Harang is 2nd in my book, he has had plenty of good starts, and has been a workhorse.

redsmetz
09-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Just curious, but why is this thread titled Who's your Reds MVP in '07 . I kept ignoring it thinking, "How the heck am I supposed to know, it might be somebody we don't even have!", ala Billy Hatcher in 1990 (and I don't know if he was or not), but Scott Hatteberg could be an example too, as someone noted above.

Spring~Fields
09-01-2006, 09:05 AM
EE, Phillips, Ross co-mvp, they gave the fans hope, thrills and often provided great entertainment value on a team that played most of their season at or below .500 while lacking quality pitching.

cincrazy
09-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Ryan Freel. I'm ignoring stats here, obviously. But what that guy brings to the ballpark and this team can not be replaced.

guttle11
09-01-2006, 11:36 AM
It has to be Brandon Phillips, who thought when we signed him we would get this kind of offensive production?

Edit: honorable mention goes to David Ross

As far as pitching goes: Arroyo and Harang are the reason we stuck around as long as we did.

Stuck, Did? Why the past tense?

We're 1 1/2 games out with 6 games left against the team in the lead.

Have stuck, and have are the proper words to use.

Falls City Beer
09-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Dunn or Freel.

Harang and Arroyo have both fallen off too badly to be considered.

Red Rover
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Dunn or Freel.

Harang and Arroyo have both fallen off too badly to be considered.

I agree 100%, unless either Harang or Arroyo get hot in September and the Playoffs. :beerme:

George Anderson
09-01-2006, 01:03 PM
I vote Harang, Dunn is a worthy candidate but I have a hard time naming a guy MVP when every time the ball is hit to him I hold my breath.

vaticanplum
09-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Dunn.

I love Freel, but he makes some criminally stupid mistakes sometimes. I wouldn't change that about him -- he makes those mistakes for the same reasons he catches balls hit within five zip codes -- and he's crucial to this ballclub in so many ways. But his accomplishments (and his mistakes) are glaringly obvious at all times.

Adam dunn is, for all of his power and prodigious talent, an extremely quiet contributer to the Reds in a lot of ways, so much so that people mistake the way he goes about his job as lack of effort sometimes (which is absurd in my opinion). Despite his bad stretches, he's an extremely consistent contributer, and this team would be in the doghouse without him. To me there's not a more reliable Red on the current team, except maybe Hatteberg, and Hatteberg just doesn't have the ability to push the results the way Dunn does. So for me it's Dunn, all the way, no question.

RedRoser
09-03-2006, 01:32 PM
#2 Choice for MVP---Royce Clayton and Jerry Narron (tie)
#1 Choice for MVP---all other Reds players and coaches (tie)

:evil:

---'Roser

fearofpopvol1
09-03-2006, 01:54 PM
I'd go with Hatteberg. He may not have the best overall numbers in most categories, but that guy does so many little things that are important that I'm for sure we would have 10 less wins without him. He's still batting over 300 as well and it's September!

redsfanmia
09-03-2006, 04:40 PM
I vote for Aurillia or Phillips, they both have been money all year and Aurillia has been doing it playing 4 different positions.

max venable
09-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah...the '07 thing threw me as well.

Reds MVP in '07? Geez. I'd be kinda cool if it was Homer Bailey. ;)

redsupport
09-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Andy Abad, he got out when the getting was good

Always Red
09-03-2006, 08:14 PM
OK, I'm going with...Bob Castellini.

He's the only difference, really, between last year and this.

Harang's had a nice year, Arroyo an excellent first half, Phillips a break out year, and Ross unexpected success. Adam Dunn has been Adam Dunn, a very good year, again.

Castellini has given me hope for the future. And hope is better than 68-69.

Castellini, and the hope that comes with him, and his energy and desire, is the reason I plunked down $1500 for playoff tickets. Right before the Reds went 2-8 on this road trip.:cry:

Falls City Beer
09-04-2006, 12:02 AM
$1500 for playoff tickets. :

Sacre merde.

redsupport
09-04-2006, 12:07 AM
paul blair was the mvp

NastyBoy
09-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Dunn. His August performance pushed him over the top in my book.