PDA

View Full Version : Bengals to the Super Bowl?

Edskin
09-02-2006, 10:04 AM
www.edkleese.blogspot.com

No need for sentimental memorials, opinion pieces on steroids, or any of the other things that have made TFSB your number bookmark on your favorite places. The NFL season is less than a week away. Without further ado, here are some predictions you can take to the bank.......or better yet, just take them to Vegas.

AFC East

Miami Dolphins (11-5): The Dolphins have many experts across the nation drinking the kool-aid. Well, pass me a glass because I see a team strong on both sides of the ball with a motivated and hungry coaching staff. Duante Culpepper could be one of the biggest steals in NFL history.

New England Patriots (10-6): The "we can win with anyone" philosophy in New England may finally be catching up to them. Last year, the depleted roster was carried by Tom Brady. They will need another herculian effort from their quarterback if they hope to contend in the AFC. Brady is good enough to get them back to the playoffs, but they don't have enough reinforcement to advance.

Buffalo Bills (6-10): Marv Levy has a lot of work to do. A lot. If quarterback J.P. Losman improves, the Bills can hover around .500. If Losman plays like he did last year, the Bills will still be searching for Jim Kelly's replacement.

New York Jets (4-12): The J-E-T-S will be seeing a lot of L-O-S-S and hearing a lot of B-O-O-S.

AFC North

Cincinnati Bengals (11-5): So maybe I have a man-crush on Carson Palmer. Can you blame me? By the end of this season, he will be fully acknowledged as the best player in the NFL. The Bengals have added enough on defense to give Palmer and company the support they need.

Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6): Riding a hunch here that the Steelers are in for a real struggle this season. Repeating isn't easy, and many people forget that Pittsburgh barely even made the playoffs last year before their stellar January run.

Baltimore Ravens (8-8): The timing just isn't right. Put the Steve McNair of four years ago with the Ravens defense of four years ago and you have a dominant NFL team. But four years later, both look old and past their prime.

Cleveland Browns (6-10): Cleveland will be more competitive than most think. It just won't show up in the win column. Expect a breakout year from quarterback Charlie Frye.

AFC South

Indianapolis Colts (12-4): The Colts winning this pitiful division is the easiest prediction in sports.

Jacksonville Jaguars (8-8): Expect a regression in Jacksonville as the Jags front office failed to address their pressing offensive needs in the off-season.

Tennessee Titans (5-11): Something about Jeff Fisher tells me the Titans won't be doormats for long. But for this year, they better get ready for some muddy shoes.

Houston Texans (4-12): Contrary to popular opinion, the Texans made the right move in passing up Reggie Bush with the first pick in the draft. However, they still made a mistake in selecting Mario Williams instead of D'Brickshaw Fergusen. The Texans sieve-like offensive line will continue to be their achilles heal.

AFC West

Denver Broncos (10-6): Still the class of the west, but the Bronocs will never go far with Jake Plummer at quarterback. Jay Cutler better be ready.

San Diego Chargers (9-7): Don't sleep on San Diego. Phillip Rivers may be unproven, but he has some deadly weapons surrounding him in LT and Antonio Gates.

Kansas City Chiefs (8-8): Larry Johsnon will rack up numbers, but the vaunted Chiefs offensive line lost two of it's main cogs in the off-season. The defense still needs work as well.

Oakland Raiders (4-12): Things have become comical in Oakland, with a revolving door of horrible coaches and unhappy players.

Division Winners (in order): Colts, Bengals, Dolphins, Broncos

Wild Cards: Patriots, Steelers

Wild Card Playoffs:

Dolphins over Steelers
Broncos over Patriots

Divisional Playoffs:

Colts over Broncos
Bengals over Dolphins

AFC Championship:

Bengals over Colts

NFC East:

Washington Redskins (11-5): A miserable pre-season has raised some serious questions in Washington, but Joe Gibbs has assembled an all-star staff that may be playing possum right now. The slimmest margain separates first from last in this brutal division-- my money goes on the best staff.

Dallas Cowboys (10-6): A combustible team on many levels. Capable of winning the Super Bowl or going 8-8. History tells us Bill Parcells will not implode, however, it also tells us that in each of his stops he has advance one step shorter than before.

New York Giants (9-7): Another tough call. If you love Eli Manning, you are probably picking the Giants to win the division, or possibly even the whole things. If you have doubts about Manning, you probably have them in this slot.

Philadelphia Eagles (8-8): Donovan McNabb will return to form this year, but the Eagles have taken too many roster hits to stay at the top of the East.

NFC North:

Chicago Bears (10-6): The Bears could forfeit all of their September games and still win this division going away.

Minnesota Vikings (7-9): The Vikings late run last year was a fluke--they collapsed when it mattered most. They have already been crushed by injuries and the defection of Koren Robinson. The Vikes better find a party boat, because there won't be much celebrating going on at the Metrodome.

Green Bay Packers (7-9): The Packers are sacrificng a year of development for quarterback Aaron Rodgers so Brett Favre can toss a few more interceptions on his way to the Hall of Fame.

Detroit Lions (6-10): A semi-interesting team in that Mike Martz has certainly proven he knows how to run an explosive offense. But does he have the horses in Detroit? And can the defense get them on the field?

NFC South:

Carolina Panthers (11-5): Once again, the Panthers are a popular pick to represent the NFC in Super Bowl XLI. But how soon people forget they thrashing they took in Seattle last January. It wasn't a fluke. There is a missing element with this team.

Atlanta Falcons (10-6): It's now or never for Michael Vick. Look for him to have a strong season and for WR Michael Jenkins to have a breakout year.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-8): Feel me once, shame on you. Feel me twice, shame on me. We'll see which one it is, Chris Simms.

New Orleans Saints (4-12): The Saints will stink, but they sure will look good with Reggie Bush, won't they?

NFC West:

Arizona Cardinals (10-6): Every pre-season prediction needs at least one shocker..... Everyone knows the Cardinals have a potent offensive attack, strenghted by Edgerrin James. What most people don't know is that the Cardinals have a tough front seven on defense that can hold opponent's in check. Balance these things with a new stadium and two lightweights in the division, and you've got a recipe for success.....finally.

Seattle Seahawks (10-6): The past five Super Bowl losers have missed the playoffs the following year. Will the Seahwks reverse the trend? Yes, but it won't be easy.

St. Louis Rams (6-10): Possibly the worst front seven in the NFL. That's a bad thing. A very bad thing.

San Francisco 49ers (3-13): Yikes. Just yikes. It's weird to see the 49ers in this state.

Division Winners (in order): Panthers, Redskins, Bears, Cardinals

Wild Cards: Cowboys, Seahawks

Wild Card Playoffs:

Seahawks over Bears
Cardinals over Cowboys

Divisional Playoffs:

Panthers over Seahawks
Redskins over Cardinals

NFC Championship:

Redskins over Panthers

Super Bowl XLI:

Bengals over Redskins

Dom Heffner
09-02-2006, 10:26 AM
I just don't see how they do it with that schedule.

They are already going to be 0-1 out of the gate....

Contrary to popular opinion, the Texans made the right move in passing up Reggie Bush with the first pick in the draft.

If Domanick Davis goes on IR, I would respectfully disagree with you here.

Bush was the right pick no matter what, really. They had him in their hands and passed....could be like the Bengals and Marshall Faulk.

Falls City Beer
09-02-2006, 10:33 AM

I say they beat KC by a touchdown.

Dom Heffner
09-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I say they beat KC by a touchdown.

KC's passing game has been slow opening the season the past few years, so hopefully you are right.

With Larry Johnson going, though- to borrow from The Sixth Sense-

I see touchdowns.

Falls City Beer
09-02-2006, 10:41 AM
KC's passing game has been slow out of the gate the past few years, so hopefully you are right.

With Larry Johnson going, though- to borrow from The Sixth Sense-

I see touchdowns.

Oh, KC will put up points, but I see no way they ultimately keep up with Palmer and Johnson. KC's offense is truly second rate by comparison to the Bengals--and that's much more of a compliment to Cincy than a slam of KC.

The games on the Bengals' schedule that are truly brutal (at Denver; Carolina at home; at Pittsburgh) are all three *winnable* (though you might as well chalk up a loss at Denver that late in the season).

Dom Heffner
09-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Wanna wage some rep points?

:)

Matt700wlw
09-02-2006, 12:29 PM
The Bengals can beat the Chiefs.

The Bengals WILL beat the Chiefs.

Reds4Life
09-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the Bengals against KC. Yes they have a good offense, but the Bengals ain't looking to shabby either. Palmer hasn't lost a thing with his injury, if he's this good coming off a long abscene just think what he'll be like in mid-season form. :eek:

Dom Heffner
09-02-2006, 12:56 PM
My problem with the Bengals is that they can't stop the run.

That is an awful first opponent for a team like that.

I'll be cheering them on, but I'm not expecting much.

smith288
09-02-2006, 01:04 PM

If Domanick Davis goes on IR, I would respectfully disagree with you here.

Bush was the right pick no matter what, really. They had him in their hands and passed....could be like the Bengals and Marshall Faulk.
Have you seen KC in the preseason? Not saying preseason is indiicative of the team they are but it should give you some idea. Bengals 1st halves have been pretty much utter domination.

I will go out on a limb (not even a limb in my opinion) and say the Bengals make KC look pretty sad.

redsrule2500
09-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Kansas City isn't all that great. I could see it going either way.

smith288
09-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Kansas City isn't all that great. I could see it going either way.
So you are saying the Bengals arent all that great too? I find the Bengals to be a premier team in the league pending their run defense has stiffened up enough to eliminate the long runs

Johnny Footstool
09-02-2006, 01:24 PM
It will take KC some time to adjust to the loss of Willie Roaf and to having a new coach and new offensive coordinator. They'll have a hard time moving the ball. However, their defense will be a lot better than people think. They closed out last season looking very impressive against the run, and they picked up a legitimate cornerback in Ty Law. However, their nickel package is still weak, so I could see Carson and Chris Henry connecting on some huge plays.

RedFanAlways1966
09-02-2006, 01:35 PM
NFC Championship:

Redskins over Panthers

Ed... IIRC you are a big Redskins supporter, right? And if you are not, then I seriously question the above (SERIOUSLY!). Don't get me wrong, I hope you are right about all of your picks (esp. the Bengals taking it all, WHO DEY).

The Skins winning the NFC? Good lord! I will be shocked if the Skins have a winning record this year. I am not sure about them playing possum... I am more sure that they are not a good team. My brother-in-law is a huge Skins fan (life-long) and even he is not too confident this year. But I am not an expert. I hope your heart gets it's wish. And any team other than the 49ers (even this year's version) in the Super Bowl against the Bengals will be okay by me!

Edskin
09-02-2006, 02:32 PM
The Skins winning the NFC? Good lord! I will be shocked if the Skins have a winning record this year.

Yes, I'm a die-hard skins fan, so it sort of colors my picks with bias. However, I do this every year (and post it here) and I haven't picked the Redskins to go to the Super Bowl this millenium.

They went 10-6 last year. They won a playoff game on the road. Then, they gave Seattle a much better game than Carolina did the next week in the NFC Title game.

Down the stretch they destoryed Dallas, beat the Giants by 15 and ended the season on a five game winning streak.

In the off-season they added Brandon Lloyd, Randel El, TJ Duckett, Andre Carter, Adam Archuleta, and most importantly, offensive coordinator Al Saunders.

The Redskins defense has been dominant the past two years and should only get better.

Gibbs has an AWFUL career pre-season record, including an 0'fer once in a Super Bowl winning season. The pre-season results were certainly a tad concerning, but watching the games it is a simple fact that the starters just didn't play. In pre-season, they ran a total of FOUR plays that included pre-snap motion. I mean, c'mon. It was basically hand-off left, hand-off right, and three step drop.

Safety Sean Taylor was TOLD in pre-season to "fade" from the line of scrimmage-- basically play a prevent at all times--purposely leave some of the young CB's on an island.

It was an odd strategy and it has many skins fans worried, but I think people will be surprised week 1.

Football is all about coaching. ALL about coaching.

Gibbs is a winner. He has a brilliant staff. I think the NFC is wide open, and I could see any number of teams winning it, but yes, the Redskins are in that mix, and I defy anyone to argue otherwise based on last year's results, and off-season additions.

RedFanAlways1966
09-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Fair enough, Ed! I'll be rooting for them by default... cannot stand: the Cowboys (T.O, enuff said), the NY Giants (I never like NY teams mainly b/c of their fans!) or Philly (see NY teams reason).

Dom Heffner
09-02-2006, 02:57 PM
I defy anyone to argue otherwise based on last year's results, and off-season additions.

Well, you sort of have that QB situation...

Johnny Footstool
09-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Al Saunders is the Truth. He turned the KC offense from a joke into a juggernaut with far less talent than the Redskins currently have.

If Portis recovers quickly from his shoulder injury, they'll be pretty unstoppable. If not, they'll just be very good.

CrackerJack
09-02-2006, 06:32 PM
So you are saying the Bengals arent all that great too? I find the Bengals to be a premier team in the league pending their run defense has stiffened up enough to eliminate the long runs

I agree. While KC is a super tough place to play, I actually like getting them in their opener in this case, with all the changes there. LJ may get his 100 yards, but if the defense shows up, there's no reason the Bengals' shouldn't beat that team anywhere. An aging team with a degraded line and a new, lame coaching staff.

The schedule is tough, but, it's tough for all of the AFC Central teams. Regardless, the Bengals' are a notch above the rest of the NFL sans a few teams - they just need to win the games they should and win their division.

This could be the year we've been waiting for since I was in college, and I'm 36 now.

And Palmer's better than Manning or Brady. :)

traderumor
09-02-2006, 06:49 PM
The Bengals success will rise and fall on if and how much the D has improved. If they continue to get takeaways and can actually stop someone other than with a turnover, they will be scary good. I also agree that KC in the opener might be great timing, at Arrowhead or not.

Yachtzee
09-02-2006, 06:56 PM
As good as the Bengals look so far, I'm cautiously optimistic about the KC game. KC isn't too shabby and Arrowhead, along with Denver, is one of the toughest places to play on the road.

justincredible
09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Those of you thinking that the Chiefs will beat the Bengals need to realize this. Herm Edwards is the new HC in Kansas City. That means there will numerous times throughout the game where Herm will do something stupid to help Cincinnati out. I am a Jets fan so I know first hand of some of the in-game coaching blunders Herm makes. He was a great Monday-Saturday coach but he was one of the worst on Sundays.

For what it's worth, I think the Bengals are gonna be extremely tough this year even if they do have a brutal schedule. If they don't win the SB I think they at least make it there.

wheels
09-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Edskin, I'd be absolutely giddy if that Super Bowl matchup came to be.

Seeing as how I've kept the Redskins close to my heart as my favorite NFC team.

WMR
09-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Bengals 34 Chiefs 13

Mark it down!

max venable
09-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Jason Whitlock's take on our hometown boys this season:

Don't be fooled by Cincinnati's spectacular preseason. There are still significant problems in Bengals land.

Maybe Marvin should set up a court at the Bengals' practice facility, like the Eagles had at the Vet?I hope I'm wrong. I hope the problems in Cincy's cell block -- oops, I mean locker room -- don't undermine the good work Marvin Lewis has done. But I think they will, along with some major holes on Cincy's defense.

In an effort to take the focus off the police blotter, Lewis' Bengals outscored their exhibition opponents by a whopping 77 points and completed the unofficial season 4-0. Big deal.

The Bengals don't have a real playmaker in their front four. Teams will run on Cincinnati. The Bengals' linebacking corps is suspect. I've never been all that impressed with Cincy's corners. But Dexter Jackson and Madieu Williams are a major upgrade at safety. Laurel and Hardy played safety for Cincy last season.

I'm hardheaded. The Bengals have a shot at 6-10. LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060907)

WMR
09-07-2006, 11:37 PM
I hope every team in the NFL keeps their press buffets well-stocked b/c I'm still holding out hope that Jason Whitlock will eventually explode.

WMR
09-07-2006, 11:37 PM
And YES, I WILL watch that video!! lmao

WMR
09-07-2006, 11:41 PM
http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/whitlockladies.jpg

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/images/be/violet/balloon2.jpg

Separated at birth?

traderumor
09-08-2006, 12:05 AM

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060907)

Lot of substance there. To think someone pays him to write that garbage.

BuckWoody
09-08-2006, 12:06 AM

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060907)
Whitlock is a card carrying member of the Bengal Hater Club. I've never seen him write much of anything positive about them. I'm not a big fan of his.

Playadlc
09-08-2006, 01:54 AM
As good as the Bengals look so far, I'm cautiously optimistic about the KC game. KC isn't too shabby and Arrowhead, along with Denver, is one of the toughest places to play on the road.

Me too. These blowout scores in the Bengals favor are highly unlikely, IMO.

KC has added Law and Surtain at CB which gives them one of the best CB duos in the league.

My heart says the Bengals will win 27-20. My head says KC pulls it out 24-21.

With that said, I still think the Bengals are one of the best teams in the NFL.

GridironGrace
09-08-2006, 02:11 AM
whatifsports.com said the bengals would go 12-4 and LOSE in the SB to the GIants in thier simulation.. u can see more on foxsports.com ill post links tomorrow just stopped by to see the talks.

As for a super bowl.. all the potential is there.. tough schedule.. and 17 weeks b4 we worry about a SB we gotta get in the playoffs

WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAC
09-08-2006, 05:45 AM
With that said, I still think the Bengals are one of the best teams in the NFL.

I thoroughly agree, and with the schedule they have this year (which is tough) they have a golden opportunity to prove that.

Even if they lose the first game to KC - and the doubt I have is still in their ability to stop the run - all is not lost, nor is it a telling sign IMHO.