PDA

View Full Version : Junior vs Narron?

Matt700wlw
09-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Enquirer

Ken Griffey Jr. was shocked when Adam Dunn told him he wasn't in the lineup.

"Is he kidding?" Griffey said.

No, Dunn spoke the truth. Reds manager Jerry Narron had Ryan Freel in center field and Chris Denorfia in right field.

"Does (Narron) know my numbers off (Padres starter David) Wells?" Griffey said.

Griffey was hitting .293 off Wells in 75 at-bats. The big numbers: eight home runs and 15 RBI.

Griffey has more home runs off Wells than any other pitcher.

Narron was aware of the numbers.

"I've seen them," he said. "It's a day game after a night game. We've got an early game (today). He was going to sit one of them."

reds1869
09-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Enquirer

Ken Griffey Jr. was shocked when Adam Dunn told him he wasn't in the lineup.

"Is he kidding?" Griffey said.

No, Dunn spoke the truth. Reds manager Jerry Narron had Ryan Freel in center field and Chris Denorfia in right field.

"Does (Narron) know my numbers off (Padres starter David) Wells?" Griffey said.

Griffey was hitting .293 off Wells in 75 at-bats. The big numbers: eight home runs and 15 RBI.

Griffey has more home runs off Wells than any other pitcher.

Narron was aware of the numbers.

"I've seen them," he said. "It's a day game after a night game. We've got an early game (today). He was going to sit one of them."

So you sit him against a pitcher he absolutely owns? More brilliance from Narron.

Highlifeman21
09-04-2006, 06:54 PM
So you sit him against a pitcher he absolutely owns? More brilliance from Narron.

As much as I'm against Narron, he had to sit Griffey in one of these games. It didn't make the most sense to sit him during a Wells start, since Griffey has practically owned Wells, but I can't fault the logic of his quote of having a night game, then day game, then early game today. If anything, he should have sat him the night before Wells, but all of us are batting 1.000 on 2nd guessing Jerry Narron, me included.

Maybe if Griffey's play warranted not being sat for a day of rest, then we might have an argument for #3. Instead, he sat. He should sit more often.

paulrichjr
09-04-2006, 07:05 PM
I would like Narron a heck of a lot more if he had said that the reason he sat Jr was because he has forgotten that we are in a pennent race and is not running out ground balls.

Tom Servo
09-04-2006, 07:17 PM
fight! fight! fight! fight! fight!

dabvu2498
09-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Here's my beef: Why were Dunn and Griffey having this conversation in front of a reporter? Why not go to Narron and ask the man himself???

George Foster
09-04-2006, 09:09 PM
I guess after the injury tonight to Griffey, Narron compounded the bad decision.

Always Red
09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
I guess after the injury tonight to Griffey, Narron compounded the bad decision.

how is that?

George Foster
09-04-2006, 09:24 PM
how is that?

He should of played Griffey against Wells (great numbers), and sat him today.
Read 1st post.

reds1869
09-04-2006, 09:26 PM
how is that?

He couldn't have read the future, but you must admit the injury tonight would not have happened if Jr. sat today. Granted, it may have happened yesterday. It's just the unfortunate result of another bad choice by Narron.

Always Red
09-04-2006, 09:28 PM
He should of played Griffey against Wells (great numbers), and sat him today.
Read 1st post.

I did read the first post;) . I don't understand how one thing has to do with the other, that's all.

I agree he should have played against Wells. I don't see how that has anything to do with him being injured trying to climb the wall this afternoon. Because it doesn't. That's like saying it's Narron's fault that Griffey got hurt, because he shouldn't have even been in there today. That makes no sense to me.:confused:

George Foster
09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
He couldn't have read the future, but you must admit the injury tonight would not have happened if Jr. sat today. Granted, it may have happened yesterday. It's just the unfortunate result of another bad choice by Narron.

If he got hurt playing the game against Wells...bad luck. You play the percentages. Griffey owns Wells. Narron said he was going to set Jr. one of the 2 games. If he played the right percentages he would of played against Wells, and sat tonight...and not of gotten hurt.

Always Red
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
...bad luck.

I agree it was bad luck. Narron has certainly made some poor decisions, but I can't blame him for Griffey being injured today. And I also agree with you that Junior should have played against Wells.

JTMONEY
09-04-2006, 09:38 PM
NARRON NEEDS TO BE FIRED NOW!!!....before he gives up the chance of having any chance at all for the playoffs

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
09-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Here's my beef: Why were Dunn and Griffey having this conversation in front of a reporter? Why not go to Narron and ask the man himself???

I agree completely, how does someone obtain the info from a conversation like this. Someone would have to have leaked it for it to get out there. In my eyes this means someone is upset about it, and maybe JN is losing not only the playoffs but also the clubhouse as well.

reds1869
09-04-2006, 10:07 PM
NARRON NEEDS TO BE FIRED NOW!!!....before he gives up the chance of having any chance at all for the playoffs

I think that's a tad bit on the ridiculous side. He at least deserves the dignity of finishing out the entire season; it's not like he has the '27 Yankees in the cellar.

lo ryder
09-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Top rate players should not sit in the midst of a pennant stretch. I know age is an issue, but let them start and rest them when possible as each game plays out. I guess the point can and will be made about "top notch" player ratings.

Redus
09-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Hopefully this the last season we have to watch this idiot Narron manage our club

Jpup
09-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Top rate players should not sit in the midst of a pennant stretch. I know age is an issue, but let them start and rest them when possible as each game plays out. I guess the point can and will be made about "top notch" player ratings.

Jr. is not the Jr. we once knew. I think the Reds are a better team without him in the OF.

TeamBoone
09-05-2006, 02:50 PM

I agree completely, how does someone obtain the info from a conversation like this. Someone would have to have leaked it for it to get out there. In my eyes this means someone is upset about it, and maybe JN is losing not only the playoffs but also the clubhouse as well.

The reporters are in the clubhouse CONSTANTLY! I've complained about this more than once. They enjoy free rein up to three hours before AND after each game.

The players can't be expected to keep their mouths shut all the time... it is THEIR clubhouse after all. They don't even have to be talking to a reporter... everything the media overhears is fair game.... and it stinks. I would think an hour before and after each game is ample time.

flyer85
09-05-2006, 03:00 PM
So you sit him against a pitcher he absolutely owns? More brilliance from Narron.that's straight from the Miley 101 handbook.