PDA

View Full Version : Hot Seat With Kent Mercker

KittyDuran
09-05-2006, 11:41 PM
This is something sort of new at the ballpark. Kent asks questions to the rest of the team in the dugout before a game. Yesterday's game was which actor would you like to play yourself in a movie? The answers I remember was Junior "Will Smith" and Dunn "Will Ferrell".

Tonight's question was "Who spends the most time in front of the mirror?". All the players asked said "Scott Hatteberg". When Kent asked Scott, Scott got "defensive" and mentioned that he heard that players said it was him - then he took off his helmet and showed his hair - "look at this!". Kent said straight-faced that only a few players said it was him. That was the end - then the camera showed Scott down at first base smiling. Pretty cute! :)

BuckWoody
09-05-2006, 11:45 PM
:laugh:

Mercker is one genuinely funny guy, I'll miss him next year. I wonder if TC can get him on the "radio" show. I bet that would be a great episode!

Cyclone792
09-05-2006, 11:48 PM
This is the best between-inning piece they've got, IMO. Heck, it's probably the best they've ever had in a long, long time.

Obviously Mercker isn't likely to be with the team next season, but if they can find a Reds player each season willing to host something like this similar to what Mercker's doing now then I think it's worthwhile to consider.

Caseyfan21
09-06-2006, 12:24 AM
It's a shame he's said in the past that he can't wait to retire so he doesn't have to travel. I think he would make a heck of an announcer, whether radio or TV.

Here's a quick story from the winter caravan about Mercker:

My friend had asked me to get Mercker to sign a ball on the sweet spot when I was at the caravan because he is a big Mercker fan and has never had the chance to get his autograph. So I step up in the line, hand Merck the ball and ask him if he could sign the ball on the sweet spot. He kind of looks at me like I'm stupid so I relay the story how my friend is a big fan and is really excited to get the autographed ball.

Merck just looked at me, smiled, and deadpanned "Man, you REALLY need to get some new friends."

vaticanplum
09-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Tonight's question was "Who spends the most time in front of the mirror?". All the players asked said "Scott Hatteberg". When Kent asked Scott, Scott got "defensive" and mentioned that he heard that players said it was him - then he took off his helmet and showed his hair - "look at this!". Kent said straight-faced that only a few players said it was him. That was the end - then the camera showed Scott down at first base smiling. Pretty cute! :)

Thanks Kitty. This explains why he looks so lovely all the time.

A little bit of vanity can pay off occasionally.

KittyDuran
09-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Here ya go VP [from the Bad Boy Blog]

http://badboy.mlblogs.com/./photos/uncategorized/060516hatteberg_1.jpg

vaticanplum
09-06-2006, 10:43 AM
See, if I saw that man walking down the street, I would buy him a $10 guitar at a garage sale, hand him some sheet music of Mellencamp songs, point him in the direction of the nearest chain sports bar and send him on his merry way. But knowing what I do about his plate discipline, it makes him a very different man.

Team Clark
09-06-2006, 11:00 AM

Mercker is one genuinely funny guy, I'll miss him next year. I wonder if TC can get him on the "radio" show. I bet that would be a great episode!

I will try my best!

KittyDuran
09-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Tonight's (9/8/06) question...

"Which teammate would be the most likely to win on Jeopardy? [and they all said Mercker :D ]. Kent and Junior were saying something funny at the end but I didn't hear it. :(

KittyDuran
09-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Tonight's (9/9/06) question...

"Which teammate would you want as a tag team wrestling partner?" [Dunn and Freel were the answers].

Ltlabner
09-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Is it me or does David Ross have that "deer in the headlights" look in those segments? It's almost as if he is thinking "did I get the question right?" as he answers Merker.

Those are funny segments and am glad they are showing them on the jumbotron. I'd like to see the Reds use Merker as an "emisary" of sorts for PR work and whatnot.

JEA
09-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Mercker still lives in the area, right?

I'd really love to see him get involved with the club in a PR role if he's not playing next year. It'd be awesome to see him host a reds.com "Web show" or even to start an official Reds podcast. He's obviously won the trust and respect of the players, so I'm sure he'd have no problem getting the big interviews. Plus, he's just a naturally funny guy who probably has thousands of stories from his own playing days.

I wonder if FSN would have any interest in adding him to the pregame show. Or WLW with the pregame radio show. I'd love to see him have his own segment.

Anyone who's seen his interviews/segments for the jumbotron can see how much more relaxed the players are when they talk to him as opposed to a regular reporter.

(Maybe I should have added this to the "Marketing Ideas for the Reds" thread.)

I remember hearing about a "Reds speakers bureau" the team had years ago that Gordy Coleman used to coordinate (maybe westofyou or another history buff could confirm). I think they went to Moose lodges, schools, hospitals, etc. With Mercker, Nuxhall, Browning, Lee May and so many other notables still around, they should really bring back something like that. It really plays into the "power of tradition" thing too.

KittyDuran
09-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Today's (9/10/06) question...

"Which person, living or dead, would you like to have dinner with?"

Harang (IIRC) couldn't make up his mind, he was the first player asked. The other answers were Sandy Koufax, couple players said their wife, Christopher Columbus, Jimi Hendrix, John Wayne (Majewski), Jackie Robinson (Junior), couple players said Elvis (including Weathers), and Coffey said Patrick Stewart (of STNG I would assume).

Doc. Scott
09-11-2006, 03:44 PM

Harang (IIRC) couldn't make up his mind, he was the first player asked. The other answers were Sandy Koufax, couple players said their wife, Christopher Columbus, Jimi Hendrix, John Wayne (Majewski), Jackie Robinson (Junior), couple players said Elvis (including Weathers), and Coffey said Patrick Stewart (of STNG I would assume).

Man, I bet John Wayne would love Majewski's mullet.

"That's a queer haircut you got there, young man."

REDREAD
09-12-2006, 11:02 AM

, couple players said their wife, .

Man, that's a cowardly answer. :laugh: Come on guys, this isn't that risky of a question to answer. Sure, you probably don't want to name a female, but come on now, let's have a little imagination here. :laugh:

FlightRick
09-12-2006, 10:54 PM
"Which teammate would you want as a tag team wrestling partner?" [Dunn and Freel were the answers].

After tonight's walk-off celebration, the correct answer is CLEARLY Freel. Not only do you get the bonus Wacky Midget in your corner (midgets can win you matches, plus they make everything funnier -- just ask Finlay! so gimme Farney!), but it appears that Freel has mastered the old school Bionic Elbow.

I merely pray that the base of LaRue's neck is OK as we wind down this evening.

Oh, and just because it has to be said: if Hatteberg thinks it's OK to go out in public looking like that, he really does need a stiff punch in the face to straighten him out. OBP or no OBP, be a man, dude.....

TeamBoone
09-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Oh, and just because it has to be said: if Hatteberg thinks it's OK to go out in public looking like that, he really does need a stiff punch in the face to straighten him out. OBP or no OBP, be a man, dude.....

What the heck are you talking about?

TeamBoone
09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Just wanted to tell everyone that GG said Kent will be in the booth with them for part of the game tomorrow night (Wed).

KittyDuran
09-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Tonight's (9/12/06) question...

"Which teammate would you trade ipods with? This one went fast...:eek:

Freel was first and said that he would like Kent's. It was either Belisle or Bray who wanted to keep his and not trade. IIRC Phillips wanted Junior's and Weathers wanted LaRue's. A few guys didn't want Coffey's because of the love songs.

ghettochild
09-12-2006, 11:35 PM
maybe they're trying to get kent to become a brodcaster?

FlightRick
09-13-2006, 12:02 AM
What the heck are you talking about?

Which part? The part where I professed an undying love of Midgets as part of any faux pro wrestling context, and wanted the tandem of Freel and Farney as my tag team partners? Or the part where I saw Hatteberg wearing a striped pastel-blue/pastel-purple shirt, collar flayed like a Bravo Network Star, with a facial hair choice that requires more attention/shaving/etc. than most of the responsibly-tended-to Girl Parts I've met?

Cuz, I mean: midgets always *do* make me laugh, and all, but not nearly as much as that picture of Hatteberg....

Though I forgot to mention it earlier, I hope it was understood that I fifth kissing up to Mercker to keep him around on FSN next year. I got no Grande hatred like so many around here, but I thind our pre- and post-game stuff is really, really Bush League, and somebody like Merck (with real "zazz," instead of a degree where he graduated middle of his class in telecommunications from some state school) could help out a bit....

BuckWoody
09-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Tonight's (9/12/06) question...

"Which teammate would you trade ipods with? This one went fast...:eek:

Freel was first and said that he would like Kent's. It was either Belisle or Bray who wanted to keep his and not trade. IIRC Phillips wanted Junior's and Weathers wanted LaRue's. A few guys didn't want Coffey's because of the love songs.
I think it was Lohse he was talking to that said that Coffey even listens to love songs while working out and then Mercker said something like, "He's gotta get some love somehow." :laugh:

BoydsOfSummer
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
I have little doubt that Merk is being considered for a broadcast spot after last nights time in the t.v. booth. It had the feel of an audition more than a mere visiting player who is on the D.L.; plus, he was up there for a long time,much longer and involved than your typical visitor.

RollyInRaleigh
09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing last night when he was lingering in the broadcast booth.

kheidg-
09-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Kent Mercker > Jeff Brantley

Heath
09-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Kent Mercker > Jeff Brantley

Kent Mercker > Chris Welsh

George Vogel > George Grande

145 FSN games next year - might as well find something new.

KittyDuran
09-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Today's (9/14/06) question was the same as the first...[which actor would you like to play yourself in a movie?] I forgot that Weathers said "Tackleberry"!!!

KittyDuran
09-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Tonight's (9/23/06) question...

"What was your favorite Halloween costume growing up?"

Mummy - RA
Zorro - ? [Might have been LaRue - I was writing and didn't look up]
Darth Vader - Junior (a video was shown of Junior with a light saber)
Hulk - David Ross (while David was talking his face turned green and his eyes lit up)
Frankenstein - Harang (PhotoShop used to put Aaron face on the monster) [with Kent exclaiming "That's a shocker"].

Ltlabner
09-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Tonight's (9/23/06) question...

"What was your favorite Halloween costume as a kid?"

Mummy - RA
Zorro - ? [Might have been LaRue - I was writing and didn't look up]
Darth Vader - Junior (a video was shown of Junior with a light saber)
Hulk - David Ross (while David was talking his face turned green and his eyes lit up)
Frankenstein - Harang (PhotoShop used to put Aaron face on the monster) [with Kent exclaiming "That's a shocker"].

Adam Dunn was Zorro. And then they showed a little cartoon of AD as Zoro.

KittyDuran
09-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Adam Dunn was Zorro. And then they showed a little cartoon of AD as Zoro.Wow! How could I have missed that?! I might need to turn in my Adam Dunn Fan Club Membership! :evil:

[Thanks for filling that one in :thumbup:]

Chip R
09-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Yeah, I'd have liked to have seen Aurilia go through Brooklyn dressed up as a mummy. :eek:

KittyDuran
09-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Today's (9/24/06) question is Part #2 of...
"What was your favorite Halloween costume growing up?"

Peter Pan - Weathers ["pixie dust"]
Freddie Kruger - Phillips
Mummy - Hatteberg

Now the kicker....

Princess/Cinderella - Freel - [IIRC he said that his mom wanted a girl and it was pretty cool at the time... all the while he's saying this Mercker is trying to keep a straight face with crickets chirping in the background! :laugh:]

KittyDuran
09-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Today's (9/25/06) I pretty much missed...[couldn't find my notepad]

"What superpower would you like to have?" Most players either said to fly or seeing thru walls. BP said to stop time (like the movie - Click?).