PDA

View Full Version : If Junior wants to help the team, just retire

GOREDSGO32
09-06-2006, 01:13 AM
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
107 26 69 61 .315 .251

His season numbers, and he's getting paid 10 mil a year, a major chuck of the salary. If he gives a cra pabout the team he would just hang them up and stop handicapping our salary by being one of the most overpaid players in baseball. Face it, his numbers aren't going to get any better in the future, he seemingly has to be nursed along several games a year just to be able to play, and at the end of the year usually has to hang them up due to some type of injury. How many games in September has Griffey played here in his career? Just give it up, and be on your way to the HOF.

WMR
09-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Disagree. Put Junior in a corner-outfield position and he's golden for the remainder of his contract, easily.

I maintain that Junior could play near gold-glove defense in left-field.

WMR
09-06-2006, 01:31 AM
http://donmoores.com/moorecards/images/griffey.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060511/060511_reds_nationals_vlg9p.widec.jpg

http://reds.enquirer.com/img/photos/2000/06/060400griffey.jpg

That last one says it all for me.

Doc. Scott
09-06-2006, 02:11 AM
Man, if Griffey hadn't injured himself in the lone game he played in RF a couple of seasons ago...

WMR
09-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Man, if Griffey hadn't injured himself in the lone game he played in RF a couple of seasons ago...

You know what, Doc. Scott?

When Ken Griffey Junior is ten years retired, I'll still probably watch his SportsCentury on ESPN and cry like a baby.

Junior was forced onto a path that should have been given to others.

He'll always be an ultimate hero to me.

dougdirt
09-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Wow. simply all I can say.....

Doc. Scott
09-06-2006, 02:21 AM
You know what, Doc. Scott?

When Ken Griffey Junior is ten years retired, I'll still probably watch his SportsCentury on ESPN and cry like a baby.

Junior was forced onto a path that should have been given to others.

He'll always be an ultimate hero to me.

So you'll stay up until 3AM in the year 2018 to catch baseball programming and avoid all the XTREME SPORTZ coverage? That's impressive enough (snif). Seriously, though, everyone forgets that one game- August 4th, 2004 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08040SFN2004.htm) (not 8/11/04 as Wikipedia claims (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Griffey,_Jr.))- the day that could have brought change.

WMR
09-06-2006, 02:25 AM
So you'll stay up until 2AM to catch baseball programming and avoid all the XTREME SPORTZ coverage? That's impressive enough.

I'm sure that the career-spanning biopic of KGJ, produced by ESPN, would NOT premiere at 2 AM NOR be pre-empted by 'XTREME SPORTZ' coverage.

please. ESPN Classic was born for a player like KGJ. Expect KGJ marathons aplenty in the years to come. So many gems for Seattle AND Cincinnati.

dougdirt
09-06-2006, 02:27 AM
ESPN Classic was born for a player like KGJ. Expect KGJ marathons aplenty in the years to come. So many gems for Seattle AND Cincinnati.

That is a day I pray for. I wont leave the house or room that day.

crazybob60
09-06-2006, 03:14 AM
http://donmoores.com/moorecards/images/griffey.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060511/060511_reds_nationals_vlg9p.widec.jpg

http://reds.enquirer.com/img/photos/2000/06/060400griffey.jpg

That last one says it all for me.

What is that last one??? All I got was the Red 'X' of death instead of a photo. And WOW you have an autographed Griffey card that isn't Upper Deck, how did you manage that one?

mth123
09-06-2006, 06:07 AM
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
107 26 69 61 .315 .251

His season numbers, and he's getting paid 10 mil a year, a major chuck of the salary. If he gives a cra pabout the team he would just hang them up and stop handicapping our salary by being one of the most overpaid players in baseball. Face it, his numbers aren't going to get any better in the future, he seemingly has to be nursed along several games a year just to be able to play, and at the end of the year usually has to hang them up due to some type of injury. How many games in September has Griffey played here in his career? Just give it up, and be on your way to the HOF.

This is absurd!:thumbdown

mth123
09-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Disagree. Put Junior in a corner-outfield position and he's golden for the remainder of his contract, easily.

This is correct:thumbup:

Doc. Scott
09-06-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm sure that the career-spanning biopic of KGJ, produced by ESPN, would NOT premiere at 2 AM NOR be pre-empted by 'XTREME SPORTZ' coverage.

please. ESPN Classic was born for a player like KGJ. Expect KGJ marathons aplenty in the years to come. So many gems for Seattle AND Cincinnati.

Aww, man. That was just supposed to be a joke about ESPN. You know, because it sucks and all.

I actually think it'll take a few years, but when Junior goes into the Hall of Fame, there will be a big run on man-love for the guy.

Always Red
09-06-2006, 08:14 AM
I actually think it'll take a few years, but when Junior goes into the Hall of Fame, there will be a big run on man-love for the guy.

Sure there will, when his entire career is considered, including his many injuries, and the fact that he did it without chemical enhancement in an era of steroids run amuck.

Plus, the guy has not had any personal problems of any type; no arrests, no spousal abuse, no drunk driving, etc. If you even look really closely and nit pick, the only thing you could say is that Junior can be a little too sensitive sometimes! I look around here and see thin skin every day!;)

From 1990-1999, Junior was truly phenomenal. He was to the 90's what Albert Pujols has been to the 2000's.

MaineRed
09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I've seen Junior use that thin skin to his advantage too many times to criticize him for it.

I was at a game a few years ago and this one guy was really giving it to Junior and Junior could hear it and was making it clear he could hear it. He kept acknowledging the guy by looking his direction. Finally in about the 7th inning with this jerk thinking he is in complete control, Junior hits one about 500 feet and then stares at the guy all the way from home into the dugout.

His thin skin helps motivate him. Saw the same thing earlier this year. I think it might have been vs St Louis. One guy was hammering Junior and you could see that it was bothering Griffey. But not enough to prevent him from depositing one over the outfield fence. Once again, he made sure to thank the loud mouth who had been giving him the business.

Frankly, I don't get threads like this. Why not call on Milton to retire? Give the man some freaking respect.

Just give up? Yeah, give up so we can play Dewayne Wise every day.

dman
09-06-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm on board Wily Mo Rock's train. Not since Dale Murphy retired have I seen a position player who epitomizes the wholesomeness of the game of baseball the way that Jr. does. And as it has been said before, all without the use of chemical enhancements. Junior was dealt a blow with all of his injuries that should have been given to Bonds, Palmeiro, or McGwire.

macro
09-06-2006, 09:53 AM
And WOW you have an autographed Griffey card that isn't Upper Deck, how did you manage that one?

Actually, I don't think that's WilyMo's card, unless he's Don Moore.

44Magnum
09-06-2006, 10:09 AM
I agree with the original poster. Jr is done! If he comes back, it's simply because he can't live without the attention and limelight. Watch Monday's game when he had to come in for a semi-blooper. He runs like an offensive lineman (a slow one at that). He is definitely not what is wholesome about the sport. Let's not sugar-coat it. He is what he is.

KoryMac5
09-06-2006, 10:19 AM
I agree with the original poster. Jr is done! If he comes back, it's simply because he can't live without the attention and limelight. Watch Monday's game when he had to come in for a semi-blooper. He runs like an offensive lineman (a slow one at that). He is definitely not what is wholesome about the sport. Let's not sugar-coat it. He is what he is.

He's not wholesome give me a break. Griffey has one of the biggest hearts in all of baseball, if you don't believe me ask Stenson's son or the little boy who lost his Grandfather at the game last year. If that's not enough info for you ask the titanium screws that hold his hamstring together. Griffey I will take in a Reds uniform and hold the sugar.

Always Red
09-06-2006, 10:23 AM
He is definitely not what is wholesome about the sport. Let's not sugar-coat it. He is what he is.

Not to sugarcoat it, but I definitely, totally, disagree with you.

Junior, right now, is the poster boy for wholesomeness among baseball players, especially when compared to his peers.

Should he be in CF next year? no way. I agree with you there. As soon as Junior was hurt the other night, Freel made 2 very nice catches that Junior does not get to this year.

Junior would be great in RF next year. this team still needs his bat.

not wholesome?? :confused:

duh_vinci
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
The OP and Magnum both need to go watch football now. Maybe you will know what you speak of with that sport...but I doubt it.

The Kid will always be remembered, and he can STILL hit.

TeamBoone
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
This is absurd!:thumbdown

Totally agree... and is reminiscent of last week's thread started by same.

TeamBoone
09-06-2006, 10:31 AM

Perhaps it's because he loves what he does and it's very hard to give it up. To say he can't live without the attention and the limelight is the total opposite of Jr's personna. I'm sure he could have lived without that a long long time ago.

I see people who work at their careers long after they should have retired, ineptly. At least Jr is still able to play the game he loves with a modicum of effectiveness. In my mind, that mindset deserves respect.

Roy Tucker
09-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I love Junior as a player and as a person and I hope he stays with the Reds for seasons to come. But he is that semi-twilight era of a superstar where he's gone from being all-galaxy to merely a good player. Like someone said, if he plays a corner OF, he's still productive.

But, I think his time as a CF has come and gone. It's been evident at least the last 2 seasons, but this year it has become painfully evident. I hate it when I curse under my breath at Junior for not getting to a ball that a competent CF should.

Given Junior's apparent stance that he can still play CF, it would be difficult for Narron to force this to happen during what's left of this season. It appears best that it's handled in the off-season. But the Reds would be very foolish to allow Junior to go into 2007 spring training thinking he is the full-time CF.

I think some combination of Castellini/Krivsky/Narron should have a quiet, non-publicized, off-season talk with Junior. Maybe recruit Senior to help out. But to let him know that his time to move to a corner OF has come. Best that he work with the club on it than resist it.

redsfan30
09-06-2006, 11:03 AM
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
107 26 69 61 .315 .251

:laugh:

I sure wish one of the greatest hitters ever to play the game would just do us all a favor and retire and get out of Dewayne Wise and Chris Denorfia's way.

Yep...that's the ticket.

:rolleyes:

Matt700wlw
09-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Griffey as a DH would be ideal. He's obviously not the Centerfielder he once was.

However, the Reds play real baseball....

Griffey's bat in the lineup is better than Griffey's bat not in the lineup. Sure, he slumps....but when he's on...he's still one of the best hitters in baseball.

The problem isn't Griffey....the problem there aren't enough CONTACT hitters in the lineup...it's stacked mostly with sluggers who strike out a lot...Rich, Hatte, and I'll throw EE in there as the "contact" hitters.

More of them surrounding the likes of Dunn and Griffey makes this team better.

registerthis
09-06-2006, 11:19 AM
He is definitely not what is wholesome about the sport.

I have no idea what this even means.

osuceltic
09-06-2006, 11:19 AM

I sure wish one of the greatest hitters ever to play the game would just do us all a favor and retire and get out of Dewayne Wise and Chris Denorfia's way.

Yep...that's the ticket.

Stan Musial is one of the greatest hitters ever to play the game also, but I don't want him playing for the Reds.

Personally, I think most Reds fans are quite a bit behind the curve in honestly assessing Junior. He's a terrible defensive outfielder and now nothing more than a mediocre offensive player.

His salary is a real issue, as is the problem of his ego/stature and how it impacts the team's plans. He's more a part of the problem than he is of the solution.

registerthis
09-06-2006, 11:22 AM
His salary is a real issue, as is the problem of his ego/stature and how it impacts the team's plans. He's more a part of the problem than he is of the solution.

The ones truly behind the curve are those who gripe about Junior's contract as if the Reds should just go and do something about it. I'm not interested in seeing the Reds jettison Junior for some minor league fluff, AND have to pay a sizeable chunk of his salary, just so he can go DH for some AL team. If the Reds are going to be on the hook for $6-$8 mil of his salary, I'd just as soon see him hit his 30 HRs for us.

MaineRed
09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Stan Musial is one of the greatest hitters ever to play the game also, but I don't want him playing for the Reds..

Is Musial still active? Has Musial won any games this season for the Reds with extra inning walkoffs?

Let me guess, some scrub has a walk-off homer and you don't want him playing for the Reds either.

These are great examples of why Griffey should quit.

BCubb2003
09-06-2006, 11:27 AM

Yep...that's the ticket.

I think Griffey feels the same. He'd quickly move over for a first-rate centerfielder, but not for a stop-gap, maybe not even for Freel.

Whether it's his call to make at this point is another issue.

WMR
09-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Aww, man. That was just supposed to be a joke about ESPN. You know, because it sucks and all.

I gotcha Doc. Scott! We're on the same page. :) :beerme:

Jim
09-06-2006, 11:53 AM
The ones truly behind the curve are those who gripe about Junior's contract as if the Reds should just go and do something about it. I'm not interested in seeing the Reds jettison Junior for some minor league fluff, AND have to pay a sizeable chunk of his salary, just so he can go DH for some AL team. If the Reds are going to be on the hook for $6-$8 mil of his salary, I'd just as soon see him hit his 30 HRs for us.

Excellent point! Getting JR in a Reds uniform was a great moment in Reds history. His contract is high for what we're getting today, but was very respectable when we signed him. It was quite obvious when he was signed that there would come a day that he was being overpayed for his current abilities, but he was signed for that 90's superstar that he was. One can only wonder how good he might have been in the early 2000's if it wasn't for all the injuries. Regardless, let him finish out his career in Cincy with his 30 HR's a year and do everything you can to encourage a corner OF move.

jimbo
09-06-2006, 11:54 AM

Ahhhhh......I was wondering when the phantom "ego" accusation would arise. :rolleyes:

Jim
09-06-2006, 11:55 AM
I think Griffey feels the same. He'd quickly move over for a first-rate centerfielder, but not for a stop-gap, maybe not even for Freel.

Whether it's his call to make at this point is another issue.

Bruce? Would Junior move over for "the Kid"... AKA the future of the Reds in CF?

Matt700wlw
09-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Bruce? Would Junior move over for "the Kid"... AKA the future of the Reds in CF?

Maybe if somebody would ask him...

ol'Sparky
09-06-2006, 12:07 PM
:thumbdown jackass thread .... you've got to be kidding !!

dabvu2498
09-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Maybe if somebody would ask him...

Tom Gamble and Richard Skinner volunteer for that duty.

steig
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Junior is still the guy that holds the lineup together. The Reds are paying Dunn $9 mill a year and they can't even come up with a permanent batting order spot for him, and people are complaining about Griffey and his salary. Who are you going to replace him with? These Griffey bashers have all the love for Freel and don't want to give any credit to Griffey. I don't see them referring to Freel's caught steeling numbers or the range that Dunn has in left field.

Sometimes I do wish Griffey would retire or be traded just so these people could see how much it would hurt the Reds over the course of the year. Then I snap back to reality and remind myself I'd rather put up with people bashing Griffey than a Reds team without him at this point.

Z-Fly
09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I think the slowing of his play is somewhat due to the WBC. No one, that I saw, said anything about that.

Griffey came to Cincinnati because he wanted to play for people of Cincinnati. I respect that, because if I was in his shoes I would want to do the same thing. He did it for less money also. I don't konw if some of you remember what is counterpart in Seatle ended up makeing in the open market(AROD).

Not looking at all of that. Griffey does more good than he does bad. For the Dunn and Griffey haters out there, where is this offense with out those guys? I think it would be safe to say... No where near where it is now. To replace them one the open market would cost a pretty penny.

Just one reds fan's oppinion.

cincrazy
09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
And if Junior would retire, you and others that constantly bash him would just label him a "quitter," and constantly talk about how he gave up on the team. So, it really is a lose-lose situation for the man, and it's unfortunate. The vultures have been swirling around him all year just WAITING for an injury like this to happen, and now that it has it's like an early Christmas for some around here, who can beat their chest and proclaim their brilliance to the free world. Should Griffey be out of center field? Quite probably. Should he not play nearly as many days as he's forced to play? Most certainly. Is he at the end of the road? Not quite. Obviously the glory days are dead, but it's not Griffey's fault this team has relied on him so often in recent years to carry them down the stretch when he's just not capable of doing so. That's what a mid-market team gets for putting so much on the shoulders of one aging superstar (I'm not putting this on Krivsky's shoulders, he obviously wasn't here before this spring).

Highlifeman21
09-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Glancing thru all the posts on this thread, I didn't see it mentioned that if he does retire, we still have to pay him, IIRC. It's not like his contract comes off the books if he hangs em up before that contract is expired. I could be wrong on this, but I thought I remembered Albert Belle and Mo Vaughn making sick money for at least 2 years after they were "retired"

GOREDSGO32
09-06-2006, 04:20 PM
If they have a serious medical condition they get paid, but insurance covers the salary. And no Wise would not be starting CF. I imagine we could get a decent CF for 9 million free payroll don't you think?

RedFanAlways1966
09-06-2006, 08:08 PM
If they have a serious medical condition they get paid, but insurance covers the salary. And no Wise would not be starting CF. I imagine we could get a decent CF for 9 million free payroll don't you think?

Don't know how knowledgable you are (not showing me much in this thread), but his contract is guaranteed. This is MLB, not the NFL. UNDERSTAND... cut a player and he gets paid every dime in that contract.

What? Oh, you are the person who suggested he retire. Would you retire if you were due that money? I am sure you would. To heck with your family and future generations being financially set. You would retire. Probably the type that would win the Lotto or the Powerballl and give it all to charity. You are a rare breed and the world is a better place with you in it.

Would you retire if your whole adult life revolved around MLB? I am sure you would. You have probably been to the show and did what you thought was best for the team. I am sure your experience is the reason that you decided to start this thread and make some of these "great" comments in it. Tell us more about your career and retirement that was done for the love of your team. We could actually stand to hear some real common sense from you.

The Junior-bash-thing really brings 'em out of the woodwork. It is okay to criticize tactfully. It is okay to make realistic suggestions. The 1st post in this thread and a few others... ah, makes me realize how Goebel beer and Mad-Dog 20-20 stays in business. To each his own.

GOREDSGO32
09-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Nope, if I were Junior, I would take the money and then some. But I hate how he plays it up in the media as how he's taking deferred money and all this crap, and being all for the team - we know he's not. Everyone's out to make the almighty paycheck, no matter if your performence is crap and your team can't afford to get better because they're paying you. Same reason Milton is going to take the option next year, he's never going to make $10 mil or even close to it, he's got a 5 ERA. But I'm sure if the last two years he had a 2-3 ERA and was a Cy Young candidate he'dd be on the first jet out of here for a bigger contract.