PDA

View Full Version : Youth baseball experience

Ltlabner
09-06-2006, 06:29 PM
What was your youth baseball experience?

How long did you play?
Position?
Were you any good?

Any significant accomplishments or achievements?

Any embrassing stories to tell?

Anything else about your youth baseball experience you'd like to share with the rest of the class?

Ltlabner
09-06-2006, 06:33 PM
I played for 5 years. I think I was 8 or so when I started and I started the year after T-ball. Whatever that is called.

Caught one year. Played 2B the rest of the time.

I fielded pretty well and could throw slightly above average (for a 10 year old - so take that FWIW) meaning I was accurate and could throw quickly/hard. I couldn't hit a ball to save my life, however. I flinched just about every time the ball came towards me and closed my eyes at the last second.

I think I got one double, several singles and a boatload of K's. Had Redzone existed for youth baseball I would have been the subject of many "Ltlabner strikes out way too often" threads.

I always enjoyed it. I'd love to start playing again but at 34 I'm not sure how to go about it (prob a church league or something).

HumnHilghtFreel
09-06-2006, 06:37 PM
How long did you play? From the time I was 5 up until my sophomore year in highschool when I hurt my knee. I probably could have played again my senior year(last year), but I was still kind of gun-shy about it.

Position? Lifelong second basemen, with a few spot starts in the OF for All-Star games and such.

Were you any good? I don't think I was a superstar by any means, but I probably could have played in college had I stuck it out.

Any significant accomplishments or achievements? Umm, I was voted MVP of my youth league and travel-team, lol.

Any embrassing stories to tell? I do, but even on a board where I don't know anyone it's one I wouldn't even tell! lol

WMR
09-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I played from t-ball until my freshman year of high school. I was a damn good second baseman (w/ the high socks, of course! ;) )

I could have played in high school, but my heart was with soccer, and my high school's baseball team required their players to play fall ball, which was simply not going to happen w/ me.

HOWEVER: Thinking back, my baseball experiences were just as--if not more--fun and rewarding as my soccer accomplishments (which were MUCH greater. 2nd team all-state GK my Senior year).

Nice idea, Lt.

Benny-Distefano
09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
The first time I played for a team, it was "D Ball" which is right after "tee-ball."
Little kids...point being.

Anyway, I sucked. Anytime I played, it was RF, and any time I went to bat, I struck out.

Well, one day the stars must have aligned or whatever, because with 2 strikes and I guy on first, I swung and knocked the snot out of the ball, and perfectly down the RF line too. Their OF was of course playing way in, so the ball went sailing past the kid in RF by a mile.

I was so stunned, I just stood there watching it for I dont know how long, maybe a few seconds. Then the audio came back into my ears and the whole team was screaming "run! run! run!"

So I did. Made it to 1B on what should have been an easy triple (the guy on 1B scored easily).

That was my big "D Ball" moment sandwiched in between many walks and strikeouts.

Blimpie
09-06-2006, 07:32 PM
While my talent might have peaked in T-Ball--my love for the game has forever endured....

RedFanAlways1966
09-06-2006, 07:44 PM
How long did you play? 8-years-old through Senior year of High School. No such thing as tee-ball or coach pitch when I started!

Position? SS & 3rd-base

Were you any good? Pretty decent. More glove than bat. Fast runner that could steal a base. If only I could hit w/ my glove...

Any significant accomplishments or achievements? Played for a good HS program that won the league my Soph & Junior years.

Any embrassing stories to tell? Ejected from a game when I was 9-years-old for throwing my helmet. Hit a single and tried to stretch it into a double. I was dead to rights (out by 25 feet). Had time to get into a pickle and eventually got tagged out. In anger I threw the helmet as hard as I could. The ump did the right thing and tossed me immediately. I started crying and the manager had to come get me and walk me off the field. Pretty embarrassing... even for a 9-year-old! Lesson learned and got a good talking-to from my father.

pedro
09-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I played from 3rd grade through 9th grade.

I was really awful when I was in grade school but by the time I got to junior high I could at least field and throw well enough to start. I played mostly 2nd base and center field. I really never could hit very well at all but I could take a walk.

mth123
09-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I played everywhere and sucked at 'em all from the time I was 8 until about 14.

pahster
09-06-2006, 09:20 PM
I played from coach pitch to the 5th grade and then again through high school. I don't really remember, but I assume that I sucked pretty bad when I was younger. I wasn't much better in high school, but I did letter three times and was an everyday varsity starter in right and center my senior year. I was a good outfielder and baserunner with a very good eye. Unfortunately I struggled to actually hit the ball. I only had one career varsity hit (but my 3 year JV line was something like .400/.550/.410. Yep, no power.).

My moment of glory actually came about a month ago in a rec league game. For some reason (probably because I was given some pretty good advice) I've been able to hit a lot better now than I ever could in high school. I still have no power, but I can work the count and put the ball in play. Anyway, I got a hit against this guy (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/-Eli-Sledge.shtml); a solid single into right. Not very impressive numbers overall, but he was good enough to pitch for an NAIA division 1 school and a professional team, so I'll take it. I'd never faced anyone as good as him in my life before, although I think I did face him once when we were both freshmen in high school. He wasn't quite as good then. :p:

TeamSelig
09-06-2006, 09:27 PM
What was your youth baseball experience? Pee-Wee league through High school/american legion tema

How long did you play? ^^^ not sure how many years that was... probably about 8-10

Position? 1B/P in younger leagues... moved to CF and the rest of the OF when older, and still pitched some

Were you any good? I made the all-star teams every year and played on my towns legion team (19 and under) from age 15 til 19

Any significant accomplishments or achievements? none other than all star teams I guess...

Any embrassing stories to tell? umm.... once dove for a ball at the fence but didn't realize I was that close and my face nailed the fence (caught the ball though).... another time I was pitching and the ball sipped out and it went way high (Rick Ankiel style)

Anything else about your youth baseball experience you'd like to share with the rest of the class? I never got to win a summer league championship (other than all star teams which I won probably 12) and it bothered me... I felt like an old veteran that could never win the big one (Reggie Miller, etc.)... came close one year with a bad team where I was basically the only above average player but we fell short... it was a great championship game though probably the best i've ever played... if I remember right I went like 4-5 with my only out being a long fly to deep center (I was a short, small lead off hitter w/o power so it was surprising), and about 4 double plays at 1B... one was unassisted.. I just remember the other players talking during the game about if we won then I was the MVP which made the loss a little easier to take

:( I miss baseball now, thanks.

Highlifeman21
09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
How long did you play?

T-ball through Sophomore year of HS, so probably 8 years?

Position?

Started as a 2B, then C for the bulk of it until Frosh year of HS when the Orthro told me no mas, then I was exiled to the OF and P

Were you any good?

In middle school and Frosh year of HS I was. Soph year came around and I couldn't hit any breaking ball whatsoever. Fastball, offspeed, I owned. If it broke, it owned me. Frosh year batted .438 between Freshman ball, JV and some V experience. Soph year, batted .178.

In 6th grade I pitched a no-hitter vs. Fairfax. Wasn't a shutout, b/c I walked the bases loaded in the last inning, and walked two runs in. We still won, thankfully.

Sophomore year, we were playing Mariemont (our rival when I was at Indian Hill), guy on first, two outs, lefty at the plate, I'm in RF, guarding the line cuz this guy was a pull hitter. He hits a rope between the 1B and the line, but it's coming directly at me b/c of how I was positioned. Guy on 1B is making the turn, going to 3B. I field the ball, and let it fly towards 3B. Throw airmails the cutoff man, airmails 3B and doesn't land for probably another 50 feet until it breaks the driver side window of a car in the parking lot. I still get a good laugh at the play. I wish someone had it on tape.

Anything else about your youth baseball experience you'd like to share with the rest of the class?

My love for the game transcended to loving to ump. I umped starting in middle school, and still do here and there from time to time. One of my best baseball memories was umping with my dad, who used to be head of umpires for Kenwood knothole. Odd father/son bonding at its best.

jimbo
09-06-2006, 10:03 PM
I started playing as soon as I was old enough to throw the ball all the way up to a senior in high school.

I ended up being in outfielder all through high school.

I have one lifetime home run. I still remember every detail of it. I started all through high school, but I considered myself an average player.

Not any individual accomplishments, but I was on some pretty good teams.

I was playing RF in a game my senior year. There was nobody on base and the hitter smacked one over my head. Got a great jump on it, had it played perfectly.......until I forgot to check where I was. Just as I was about to glove it, made contact at full speed with the chainlink fence that was used as the outfield wall. Got knocked to the ground and my foot stuck on the bottom of the fence. Centerfielder is yelling at me to throw the ball in the field but I couldn't reach it and I couldn't get out of the fence. The guy ended up with an inside the park home run. My coach couldn't decide to yell at me or laugh. If I remember right, he yelled at me and saved the laughing until after we won.

Playing baseball as a youth is playing the game at it's purist form. I have so many treasured memories.

HumnHilghtFreel
09-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Highlifeman, you must have had a cannon for an arm haha

Jefferson24
09-06-2006, 10:27 PM
I played CF on my HS team. I made varsity when I was a freshman.

Injured my rotator cuff when I was 14, never played since.

I was a good hitter, still am. I can still get around on an 80+ mph fastball. Which isn't too bad for an 34 year old that's been away from the game for 20 years. Never was great with the glove and the arm was even worse, but I was fast and got a great break on it.

westofyou
09-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I played from age 5-15, all the kids lapped me in size at 15.

I played all of the positions except 1st. In 4th-7th grade I was pretty damn good, started at catcher all 5th grade, pitched 4th-6th and played 3rd and RF for most of the my years. No power here, lost os singles and I could steal, my last game at 15 I went 1-2 with 2 walks and stole 3 bases, I remebr it vividly because I ripped up a scab on my knee that didn't go away all that season. I ripped up that knee in soccer a bunch later on in life and it was just a mess of scar tissue, I fell off my bike a week ago and ripped it up, today I did it again and ripped the scap up.

Under the Dating myself category.

My 4th grade teams coach was Bill Munson who was the quaterback for the Detroit Lions.

My only Home Run was hit off Al Kalines son Mike, who was a friend of mine (on the playground), opposite field jack to leadoff the game.

My first T Ball team was named the "Senators"

For several years we wore flannels, the kind the guys wore back in the day, I caught a year in Michigan in flannels... it sucked.

Highlifeman21
09-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Highlifeman, you must have had a cannon for an arm haha

Used to!

I remember it leaving my hand and looked perfect as I thought it was peaking trajectory, but then kept rising. I remember the look on the 2B's face as it sailed over his arms stretched vertically like uprights. I remember the 3B give a 1/2 jump as he thought the ball was coming down, just a little high, but stayed at its current cruising altitude as it sailed over his head as well. I remember hearing the window break on the driver's door. Then I just remember dropping my head and shaking it, in disbelief.

Always had a strong arm, just never knew where it was going.

BuckWoody
09-06-2006, 11:30 PM

How long did you play?
Position?
Were you any good? I played from the third grade up until I was a freshman in high school. I played 1st and 3rd mostly with a little SS and later on I caught quite a bit. At first, I was terrible. I played my 2 innings in the field (hidden in RF) and got my one at bat (youth league rules) where I usually struck out. Things didn't click for me until my third year playing.

Any significant accomplishments or achievements?After the light went on in year 3, I was fairly decent. I made the all-star team for the league most every year but was never a steady starter on those teams in the tournaments we played. I hit two homers in the very last organized baseball game I ever played...sounds good but it's a long, not-so-impressive story.

Any embrassing stories to tell?I don't know if this counts or not but I never made my high school team. I tried out my freshman and sophomore year but was in the last cuts both times. Still one of the biggest disappointments in my life.

Anything else about your youth baseball experience you'd like to share with the rest of the class?I will never forget the first home run I ever hit. I always swung really hard but until my third year playing I rarely made contact. It was early in the season and I was starting to hit the ball with some consistency. I put one of my big swings on one and it went flying, a real 5th grade no-doubter. My Dad was coaching first base and I can still see the look on his face as though it just happened yesterday. I held out my finger and said, "That's one!". I got the proverbial glad hand from Dad at first on my way around the bases. One of my favorite memories period.

Yachtzee
09-06-2006, 11:46 PM
How long did you play?

From the age of 8 to 16 or 17.

Position?

Outfielder in T-ball, then C to 3B to SS/2B. I pitched in 2 games.

Were you any good?

They say I was "good for my age," which apparently means that I struggled a bit whenever I first went up to a new level and had to face older kids, but was really good once the older kids were promoted up to the next level. I was good in the field and a smart baserunner. At bat, I would probably look good in today's OBP/SLG/OPS stats because I had a good eye, took lots of walks and, when I got a hold of it, often hit for extra bases. Unfortunately this was before sabremetrics took hold, so coaches often got on my case for K'ing too much.

Made the all-star team.
Went one whole season at 2B/SS without an error and was 1/2 of the leading double play combo in the league.
Lead the league with 10 triples one season
Often up there in stolen bases and stole 2nd, 3rd, and Home in one trip around the bases.

I took a one-hopper to the nuts once and had to spend the rest of the game laying on a picnic table with a bag of ice on my netherregions.

We had a catcher who used to sing to batters while they were at the plate.

My favorite teams to play for: the Camaros (all the teams in the league had car names) and the Reds (figures I would have my best years with the team name I loved the most).

I only tried out for the HS team once. I did great in fielding try-outs, which were conducted on the asphalt parking lot outside school. But for hitting try-outs we had to go against a Juggs machine set to 80 mph in the school gym. All I saw was a blur right before I got drilled in the thigh with the first pitch. I figured if guys were throwing that fast, I had no chance. I didn't realize until years later that I needed glasses. Stuck with HS Soccer after that.

BCubb2003
09-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Through freshman at Athens High School in The Plains, Ohio

Second base

Good? Not really

Tornon
09-07-2006, 03:40 AM
I started playing teeball when I was 6, played up through little league (15) but once I got to high school I had to choose between tennis & baseball and I now regret that I chose tennis.

At first I was the little scrawny kid that couldn't do anything right, so I was just stuck in RF at the bottom of the order. However, I developed skills as I grew older and took over second base although I had coaches try to move me to short because of my arm. I did pitch a little bit but was never very effective.

I was very easily intimidated by kids older than me, so I was only good in the years where I was one of the older ones in the league (had a good year when I was 12 in the 11-12 league and when i was 15 in the 13-15 league). I had zero power, zero speed, but rarely struck out so I was basically Sean Casey.

My most vivid memories are from my final year of playing, involving either a running catch in the OF on a popup or 2 outs in the last inning and it all being up to me to keep the game going. However, I do remember one time when I was playing CF and I had a flyball hit to me with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, I caught it and gunned it home. The runner was out by a mile except the catcher dropped the ball.. oh well.

No out of the ordinary embarassing stories come to mind, I do remember one year pitching and giving up a very long home run to one kid..

IowaRed
09-07-2006, 08:58 AM
No coach pitch or T-ball back in my day. It was Pony, Minor, and Major leagues, which started in about 3rd grade. I played P and 2B. Moved to the OF as a Freshman and then SS through the rest of HS. Also did some pitching. I was decent, good enough to make the American Legion team and all-conference and all-metro teams but not good enough to play college ball. I made A LOT of errors, hit a few home runs, stole a few bases and struck out too much. I wish I could have enjoyed it a little more and not put so much pressure on myself to do well.

Most embarrasing moment was striking out in a sophomore tournament in a minor league stadium in Burlington Iowa, turning back towards the dugout and throwing my bat all the way to the fence next to the dugout and getting thrown out of the game.

Best moment was as a high school senior, leading off in our first round of the district tournament at the Univ. of Iowa stadium and hitting the 2nd pitch of the game over the left-centerfield fence. It was on the news that night and I was interviewed but it was taped over many many years ago. Would like to have that now.

RedsBaron
09-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I played sandlot ball constantly as a kid, but I was never all that good.
I only had one year of playing Little League regularly, hitting .273 (6 for 22) at age 12 in a league where kids hit over .500.
I played one year of Babe Ruth, at age 15, and there I was more successful, hitting .565 (13 for 23) to rank second in the league. My OBP was probably .750 as I also walked a lot, having read Ted Williams's books on waiting for a good pitch.
My senior year of high school I hit .500, which sounds impressive until you realize that I was 1 for 2, with 2 RBI. I played in several games, but usually just went in for defense (I was an oufielder and firstbaseman).
After that, except for one year of sandlot baseball, it has been nothing but softball, and not much of that in recent years. I have got a lot of pleasure out of watching my 13 year old son do much better than his dad ever did at baseball (and he scored two touchdowns last week as well).

puca
09-07-2006, 10:01 AM
How long did you play?

age 7 through age 16. Little League then American Legion/JV HS

Position?

started as backup RF, ended up as CF/3B/P

Were you any good?

Worst player on my team as a 7-year old, by 10 I was usually the best on my team. By JV/American Legion I was a backup. Retired from baseball and switched to track after my softmore year.

Not really. Good enough to make JV HS team in softmore year. Not good enough to start.

I have 2 actually.

I once bunted the ball off my finger and grounded out the the second baseman. I was pitching at the time and had to leave the game when I could no longer grip the ball.

In a JV game I lost a fairly high fly ball in the sky/sun and it hit me pretty squarely in the jaw.

You may have heard of guy that was pitching when I bunted the ball off my finger....Paul O'Neill.

dabvu2498
09-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I played from t-ball through high school. I had a college uniform for two seasons but never played in a game. Not one.

I was an OF/1B into HS and began to pitch when I was 14. I was a decent hitter until about that same age. I was DH'ed for, even when playing the OF as a soph., hit a little as a Jr. then made a commitment and got quite a bit better as a Sr. My "potential" was strictly as a pitcher, but I'm fairly sure the only reason I ever had a college uni was so I could throw BP.

Most embarassing moment was running into a fence during pregame (I knew how to play the game the right way) before the sectional tourney my soph year and cutting my forehead open, having to go get stitches and missing the game.

Best moment: Being in the dugout for a walk-off HR win vs. LSU.

Always Red
09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
I played until I was 18, t-ball through high school/American Legion. I had a few offers/slight interest for very partial scholarships at small college programs, Marietta, XU, UC, but I knew what I wanted to do in my life, and baseball as a career wasn't it, although it's still a passion.

I played mostly SS and 3B as a kid, and had a very good arm. Alas, I could not hit a good curveball, nor a Bill Long fastball (I wasn't alone there!) By the time I got to the varsity level, I was pitching. I was clocked once in the state American Legion tourney at 86mph, so I could get it there. Only problem was that the ball had absolutely no movement at all, I knew nothing about changing speeds, and sometimes the ball went out a lot harder than it came in!

My 2 most embarassing moments were: 1. I was playing 3B on the JV team and the runner was stealing third, I covered and tried to slap the ball down quick as it was a close play, and wound up taking the throw off my neck- ouch!:bash: 2. I was pitching in relief in a sectional tournament (1978) against Moeller, who had knocked out our starting pitcher. I did not realize that I had to hit, as the DH was being used on our catcher rather than our starting pitcher . My coach told me I was up, against Bill Long, who was one of the greatest high school pitchers of the day. Long later pitched for the White Sox. Three pitches later my humbling "experience" was over, and the umpire actually chuckled at me after the last pitch; I couldn't get too upset with him, because he made it back up to me the next inning on a couple of close pitches.:D

RollyInRaleigh
09-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I played sandlot ball constantly as a kid, but I was never all that good.
I only had one year of playing Little League regularly, hitting .273 (6 for 22) at age 12 in a league where kids hit over .500.
I played one year of Babe Ruth, at age 15, and there I was more successful, hitting .565 (13 for 23) to rank second in the league. My OBP was probably .750 as I also walked a lot, having read Ted Williams's books on waiting for a good pitch.
My senior year of high school I hit .500, which sounds impressive until you realize that I was 1 for 2, with 2 RBI. I played in several games, but usually just went in for defense (I was an oufielder and firstbaseman).
After that, except for one year of sandlot baseball, it has been nothing but softball, and not much of that in recent years. I have got a lot of pleasure out of watching my 13 year old son do much better than his dad ever did at baseball (and he scored two touchdowns last week as well).

I'm impressed, RedsBaron. Congratulations!:beerme:

Strikes Out Looking
09-07-2006, 11:57 AM
I played little league (Hamilton West Side) from age 10-12. I played of, 1b and 3b (even though I wanted to play 2b).

I was ok, but had lousy coaching. The manager played the coaches kids ahead of others, and I stopped playing at 12 rather than go on to Babe Ruth, even though I would have made a team.

I was a contact hitter with no power. When I was 12 I usually batted 3rd or 4th in the lineup and the other kids would whine to the coach about it. He said that I was in that position because I didn't strike out much and made things happen. That is what I remember most about my experience.

If I could go back in time, I would have played until they threw me off of a team be it jr. high, or high school.

Z-Fly
09-07-2006, 12:36 PM
This may or may not sound made up but I swear it's true. I played from the time I was four untill I was 17.

Always more known for my bat than my glove. Around the time I was 10 I remember my coach doing something off to the side wile we were takeing bp. It was my first year with this particular team. I took a good swing at the ball and he turned around and said " who just hit that. Man that guy hits like a shot."

Through most of my career I played right/left field and batted third. The last year that I played they tried to convert me from a corner outfielder to a second basemen, so a scout might be impressed enough as a good hitting second basemen. My last year of playing my final BA was .666, which was down from .750 (Because of a hert wrist).

You are probably saying this is impossible because this would have been posted all over local news. Well the League I was playing in was little league A(Major). Which is a league that plays double headers on Sundays for guys 14-18. No offical stats were kept, except the the ones my coach kept. The fields we played on rarely had offical fences. I once did put it over a police station fence that was very far back. I never played for my high school because I played Tennis and ended up playing for a local college. Looking back now I wish I would have played high school ball instead. Who knows what could have happened. Heck I am only 22 maybe I should go to open tryouts. Just kidding.