PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Dmitri

Daniels_Parker
09-06-2006, 08:31 PM
The Tigers released Dmitri Young today. I think the Reds should look at bringing him back a fan favorite to maybe bring the spark back to the team. He can play the corner outfield posistions as well as first and third. Also it helps he is a switch hitter.

Patrick Bateman
09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
He was actually DFA'd. It will require a trade to get him since many teams will have some interest in him.

RedFanAlways1966
09-06-2006, 08:36 PM
He was liked by a lot of the fans. I liked Dmitri while he played for the REDS. But I have to say no thanks. If he can be had for less than $1 mill, then I may change my mind. I highly doubt the price will be that low though.

Daniels_Parker
09-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Tigers website just says they unconditionally released him. Which I thought was different than DFA.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060906&content_id=1649710&vkey=pr_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Phhhl
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Maybe it doesn't matter, but he had some harsh things to say about the organization in general, and Jr. specifically, after he left here. And, he seems to have some anger management problems. I don't think he's as loveable as some seem to think. He can hit, but weight and fielding a position is just going to become bigger obstacles for him in the future. There are probably more reasons not to bring him back than supporting it.

Patrick Bateman
09-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Tigers website just says they unconditionally released him. Which I thought was different than DFA.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060906&content_id=1649710&vkey=pr_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

I got my post from rotoworld, maybe you're right.

Joseph
09-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Didn't he and junior have some issues?

goreds2
09-06-2006, 08:54 PM
I say bring him back. He would give you 4 "professional at bats" each game.

paintmered
09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Trouble in "Paradise", eh Dmitri?

If the Reds need to take on his current contract, then stay far, far away.

flyer85
09-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Da Meat Hook

Unassisted
09-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Sean Casey took 1B away from him in Detroit. The majority of posters here were squawking about Casey's offensive output the last couple of seasons he wore the red, white and black. Why should the Reds add a natural 1B to the roster who is worse than Casey?

If the answer is to play the OF, Dunn is locked into one corner OF spot and Griffey should be locked into the other next year. No way can I be convinced that Da Meat should be in CF.

I don't see a fit here.

mth123
09-06-2006, 09:01 PM
No thanks. Like Dmitri, but we need more athleticism and better defense. He takes us the wrong direction.

Cedric
09-06-2006, 09:04 PM
I'd most certainly take a look. Great bench player with some versatility.

Only one year below .800 ops and that was while playing in Comerica also.

flyer85
09-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Trouble in "Paradise", eh Dmitri?

If the Reds need to take on his current contract, then stay far, far away.IIRC, he was in the last year of his deal. At least he could be a power bat off the bench.

CTA513
09-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Hes been hitting better since the all-star break and would give the Reds some pop off the bench.
He could take someone like Wise or Watsons roster spot.

TeamSelig
09-06-2006, 09:17 PM
No thanks. Poor attitude. Well... only if he accepted a pinch hitter / bench player role. Nothing more.

Dunnomite
09-06-2006, 10:09 PM
He hasnt even played much this year. He's been in REHAB for a good portion of the year. we don't need anyone like that on the team. If anything, pick up Harry Dangler and platoon him at first.

George Foster
09-06-2006, 10:13 PM
He took a leave of absence during the season to go to a substance abuse clinic. He's going through a dirty divorce I read and was cought with a couple of young girls, not under-age but young. 18-20. I say he fell off the wagon, either drugs or booze. The Tigers had enough....

Dunnomite
09-06-2006, 10:16 PM
thats what i meant....

we dont need that kind of stuff here

:young:

remdog
09-06-2006, 10:23 PM
I say bring him back. He would give you 4 "professional at bats" each game.

:laugh: "Professional at bats".... A few years ago I attended a Reds/Pads game in San Diego. Struck up a conversation with the Pads fan next to me. Conversation turned to D'Meat. I bet the Pads fan a beer that Dmitri would swing at the first pitch at least 3 of the first 4 AB's he had during the game. I was sipping suds as of D-Man's 3rd AB. :thumbup:

Rem

jmcclain19
09-06-2006, 10:27 PM
He's a DH who's previous only value was occasional pop and a solid BA.

And he really offered little of either this year.

He's strictly only a 1B/DH option, and a poor one at that. And the Reds have Scott Hatteberg and Joey Votto already manning that front.

I look forward to the repeat of this thread in a few months when it's titled "Bring Back the Mayor"

And for humor sake

Young - .700OPS
Casey - .727OPS

Young - .796OPS
Casey - .794OPS

Young - .817OPS
Casey - .915OPS

Both trending in the wrong direction.
So no, don't bring back Dmitri. Avoid like the plague.

westofyou
09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Go after ineffective over 30 corner players Wayne, target the ones who weigh 250 and have personality issues with others from time to time...

Redhook
09-06-2006, 11:09 PM
I like Dmitri, but he doesn't need to be back here.

Speaking of him, remember when Kenny Mayne of ESPN did one of his "stories" on Dmitri Young a few years back? It was around a 5-minute bit about how good Dmitri was, how he rode his bike to the ballpark, etc. He called him Dmitri Ballhitter. Classic. I wish I could see it again because it was hilarious.

MartyFan
09-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Next....

44Magnum
09-07-2006, 09:06 AM
No thanks.

Heath
09-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm guessing he ends up in Washington.

Just a hunch.

crazybob60
09-07-2006, 09:16 AM
No thanks. Poor attitude. Well... only if he accepted a pinch hitter / bench player role. Nothing more.

I echo those sentiments 100% (well except for the poor attitude, I don't know about that so I can't comment on that one). Remember Dmitri is coming off of a stint in alcohol rehab. Doesn't it take a while once you come out of those to probably get all your skills back to what they were prior to him getting in the shape he was in? At least that is what common sense would tell me, so maybe he is still dealing with how to get his body and mind in the playing condition when he isn't battling his own personal issues. But I wouldn't mind having him around to try and boost the team's morale when they are down and stuff, seems like he would be a jokester when the team hit a slump to try and get em out, but that is just speculation there on my part. The only other waty I can see the Reds trying to get him is if someone like the Padres and/or the Cardinals try and make a run for him, then the Reds need to block it as Dmitri could be that one missing piece for them that would seal the deal for that respective teams playoff hopes and could seal the deal for crushing the Reds if they just let him squeak through. OK, this post has been much longer than I anticipated....

crazybob60
09-07-2006, 09:21 AM
I like Dmitri, but he doesn't need to be back here.

Speaking of him, remember when Kenny Mayne of ESPN did one of his "stories" on Dmitri Young a few years back? It was around a 5-minute bit about how good Dmitri was, how he rode his bike to the ballpark, etc. He called him Dmitri Ballhitter. Classic. I wish I could see it again because it was hilarious.

Bike, as in a five-speed, or bike as in a motorcycle???? And does he really do this?

Chip R
09-07-2006, 09:43 AM
The Tigers released Dmitri Young today. I think the Reds should look at bringing him back a fan favorite to maybe bring the spark back to the team. He can play the corner outfield posistions as well as first and third. Also it helps he is a switch hitter.

I'm sure the presence of Dimitri would get fans crowding the ticket windows at GABP clamoring for tickets. Why, the rest of the home games may be sold out just to see a fan favorite like Dimitri.

RedsBaron
09-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Stay away from Dmitri. Stay far, far away.

JEA
09-07-2006, 10:04 AM
(I especially like the last comment.)

February 23, 2002

Former Reds say Griffey, Larkin got them traded
By John Fay / The Cincinnati Enquirer

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Dmitri Young was on his cell phone, and things were breaking up.

But he wanted to make sure people in Cincinnati knew where he stood on the Ken Griffey Jr.-Pokey Reese debate. When Reese made his comments about Griffey Wednesday, he said he and Young were in agreement. Young, who was traded to the Detroit Tigers in the offseason, said Friday that's true.

"Pokey's my brother," Young said. "I've got his back. I told the Detroit writers where I stand. It's going to cause a stir."

Yes, it will. Here's what Young told Booth Newspapers:

"Pokey was absolutely right," Young said. "I've said some things that you could read between the lines, but Pokey was dead on."

Young went on to say:

* The acquisition of Griffey divided the Reds: "Once Junior got there, the team broke off into cliques. Then you had guys that basically gave up."

* Griffey's humor could be cruel: "(Griffey's) got his accomplishments. But he throws them back in your face. He'd sit there and say, "How many home runs do you have? How much money do you make?' "

* Griffey and Barry Larkin wanted Young and Reese out: "They engineered the trades. Why do you think we're not there anymore?"

* He hasn't heard from Larkin or Griffey: "Everyone called me after the trade but them." Young and Reese both were traded after they turned down four-year deals with the Reds. Young's would have paid him $26 million, Reese's $21 million.

Young said he wouldn't shake Larkin's or Griffey's hand when the Reds play the Tigers this spring (the teams meet March 13 in Sarasota and March 15 in Lakeland).

Larkin and Griffey had left the Reds' training facility before Young's comments surfaced. Neither of their agents could be reached for comment.

Young said he's happy to be a Tiger.

"I won," he said. "I got traded. I've got six years of heaven."

Always Red
09-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Dimitri? no thanks, he had his time here. If we need a heavy, free swinging 1B/DH corner-outfielder type, I'd rather have Kevin Mitchell.;)

Chip R
09-07-2006, 10:40 AM
"I won," he said. "I got traded. I've got six years of heaven."

Just a year shy.

bucksfan
09-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I used to like Dmitri. But absolutely no way do I bring him back. Not a good use of $ at all IMO. His production potential at this point coupled with our needs and his personal issues he had/has are just not worth it when there are bound to be other options. If you tell me it is Dmitri or DeWayne Wise, then yes, I'll take Dmitri (though not for his current contract). But there are other options, even in our own system.