PDA

View Full Version : marvin lewis and press conferences?

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-06-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm glad he's our coach but what exactly is Marvin Lewis's problem with press conferences. He gave one today that was 9 minutes and was an absolute jerk with the press. If you hear them throughout the season on 1530 he wont answer most of the questions,seems to smart off every chance he gets. His behavior is just bizarre.

traderumor
09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Has no patience for inane questions?

Falls City Beer
09-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Great people seldom play up to niceties. At least that's my experience in life.

Cedric
09-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Would you have patience for Brad Johansen and Chick Ludwig? Those two are incredibly annoying to listen to and read. I can only imagine having to answer their dumb questions over and over.

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-06-2006, 10:48 PM
well..all kidding aside, i have heard some of these and it can be a tough question or the most simplistic and he will either smart off,refuse to answer--on todays i dont remember what the question was but he threatened to stop with the weekly press conferences-even lance was talking about how rude he was today

Reds4Life
09-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Bob Huggins didn't like press conferences either. As long as Marvin is winning games nobody will care what he does during pressers.

Hoosier Red
09-06-2006, 11:18 PM
The only reason for press conferences is for the people to get information. Coaches and Marvin in particular are loathe to dispense any information lest they give away something important.
This turns the press conference into a cat and mouse game of the press actually trying to get something meaningful and the coach trying to say nothing.

Parcells is pretty obnoxious too, so is Belechik.

RollyInRaleigh
09-07-2006, 06:39 AM
The master, Bobby Knight. He sometimes looks like he would like to kill sportswriters, who can ask some pretty stupid questions. What they need to realize is that the sportswriters fuel the folks who support their sport and certainly help pay their enormous salaries.

RedFanAlways1966
09-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Bob Huggins didn't like press conferences either. As long as Marvin is winning games nobody will care what he does during pressers.

Yep. As baseball's Leo Durocher once said, "Nice guys finish last." Seemed as though Dave Shula, Bruce Coslet and Dick LeBeau were nice guys. With that being said, I'll take the mean ol' Marvin Lewis every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I don't care about information, I care about winning.

And the press does ask some pretty stupid questions. I have never thought of football coaches as being the most pleasant and patient types. From Bo to Woody to Parcells to Noll to Forrest Gregg to...

BuckWoody
09-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Marvin has always been surly in his press conferences. Seems as though he's of the opinion that his time could be better spent preparing his football team than talking to a bunch of reporters. I have no problem with that. Keep the Bengals in the hunt year in and year out and Marvin can be as surly as he wants to be.

redsfan30
09-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Would you have patience for Brad Johansen and Chick Ludwig? Those two are incredibly annoying to listen to and read. I can only imagine having to answer their dumb questions over and over.
I have come to the conclusion over the last five years or so that I've been here, that nobody likes any announcer and/or writer under the sun.

Nobody.

BoydsOfSummer
09-07-2006, 11:13 PM
He bullies the smalltown media that Cincy has,and it's their own fault. They are totally afraid of him. He saw it and took advantage of it early on. Now he does what he wants and answers what he wants how he wants. He wouldn't get away with it in other places.

I say good for him. If these weenies don't push back,they deserve the kind of answers they get.

Go Browns! And go Dolphins (tonight)!

Hoosier Red
09-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Copying over from Brad Johansenn's Bengals Blog

Marvin seemed particularly short and irritated with the media in his Wednesday session. He insisted it wasn't him. He's always in a good mood. I think some of the questions from our station reporters contributed to the mood. Just ask the beat writers.

News producers are already trying to force the hype of Super Bowl expectations ... irritation usually follows from multiple outlets. It seems this week the Kansas City media is playing up the angle of Dick Vermeil running up the score in his final game last year. Herm Edwards was happy to add to the mix by saying he believes the Bengals have reason for payback.

"I believe in sportsmanship, and I don't believe in rubbing people's noses in it," Edwards told reporters. "It sets you up. What goes around comes around."

Marvin never bit saying, "this is a different year with a new coach and what happened last year has little relevance." Players I talked to seemed to care very little about the KC hangover. But they remember what it felt like to lose 37-3.