PDA

View Full Version : If Griffey Is Willing......

Krusty
09-09-2006, 05:15 PM
If Griffey is willing to accept a trade to an AL team, should the Reds move him this offseason?

HumnHilghtFreel
09-09-2006, 05:26 PM
It's a really tough conflict of interests.

Part of me would like to see him retire a Red. The same part of me feels like he may still have enough in the tank to produce another All-Star caliber year.

The other part of me is the part of me that felt like we should have traded him last year to the White Sox when they were apparently calling.

Would we go for prospects that could help down the line or would we get MLB-ready talent that would help us as soon as next year? I feel like if we aren't going to get a substantial return then we should let him finish out his career a Redleg.

Krusty
09-09-2006, 05:34 PM
When Griffey goes in the Hall of Fame, does he wear a Mariners cap or a Reds cap? I think his best years were with the Mariners.

With that said, if you could move Junior to Detroit, NY Yankees or even Boston, you have to do it. He isn't the defensive outfielder he was 10 years ago and his bat could be slowing down.

With the Tigers, he could be a DH while playing some centerfielder to give the regular a break.

Griffey for RHP Zach Minier would work for both sides with the Reds adding some cash in the deal.

VI_RedsFan
09-09-2006, 06:23 PM
I have to say yes.

Griffey is my favorite player and he always has been. To me, he is one of the greatest all-around players to ever play the game. If he hadn't gotten injured so much over the past 6 years, then I think he would have the homerun and maybe even the RBI record in his hands by the time he retires. Whenever I see that Junior smile, I can't help but smile myself.

But, I feel it is better for the club and for him if he goes to an AL club like the aforementioned (DET, NYY, or Boston). I believe that this team is on the rise, but I think Griffey only has a year or two left in him, and we are not going to win a championship during that time. He deserves to get his World Series win, and those three AL teams are the best chances he's got to get it.

Will M
09-09-2006, 08:01 PM
No one thinks KGJ should be in CF next year. Most suggest moving him to RF.

However...with Dunn in LF & KGJ in RF we better have Speedy Gonzalez in CF.

I am starting to think that if the right deal came along we should trade either Dunn or KGJ ( with the other playing LF ). Obviously we would then need a CF/RF { depending on where Freel plays }

- Will

Krusty
09-09-2006, 09:46 PM
No one thinks KGJ should be in CF next year. Most suggest moving him to RF.

I am starting to think that if the right deal came along we should trade either Dunn or KGJ ( with the other playing LF ). Obviously we would then need a CF/RF { depending on where Freel plays }

- Will

I got to think one of them will be dealt. Outfield defense has been a sore spot all season.

JTMONEY
09-09-2006, 09:58 PM
i would like to keep him so he could be there to help the young guys like deno, hopper, and wise, but then again he costs a lot of money:griffey: ???

MaineRed
09-09-2006, 09:59 PM

What is his OPS?

Krusty
09-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Griffey reminds me of Dave Parker in his last year as a Red. You could see the decline defensively but there was some life still in his bat. Thus, the trade of Parker to the A's for Jose Rijo.

Now if the Reds could trade Griffey for the next Jose Rijo.....

lo ryder
09-09-2006, 10:06 PM
One must take it offer by offer. Dont give him away, but if it will help in the near future all offers must be considered.

Team Clark
09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Griffey reminds me of Dave Parker in his last year as a Red. You could see the decline defensively but there was some life still in his bat. Thus, the trade of Parker to the A's for Jose Rijo.

Now if the Reds could trade Griffey for the next Jose Rijo.....

Good minds think alike!

Krusty
09-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Good minds think alike!

If I'm Krivsky, I offer Griffey to the Tigers for RHP Zach Minier and agree to pay the remaining two years portion of Griffey's contract that is defered.

Then with the money saved, I look to upgrade outfield, starting pitching and find a closer.

HumnHilghtFreel
09-09-2006, 11:16 PM
If we dealt with the Tigers, I'd really like to look at someone like Joel Zumaya. That kid has the stuff to be a dominant closer for years to come. I don't know if that is necessarily the need we would trade for, and Miner is good too, I just thought I'd go out of my way to say I like Zumaya I guess... lol.

Krusty
09-10-2006, 08:56 AM
If we dealt with the Tigers, I'd really like to look at someone like Joel Zumaya. That kid has the stuff to be a dominant closer for years to come. I don't know if that is necessarily the need we would trade for, and Miner is good too, I just thought I'd go out of my way to say I like Zumaya I guess... lol.

I just don't see the Tigers trading Zumaya when they project him to be their future closer.

But Griffey to the Tigers makes some sense. He can DH over there and play alittle centerfield. Detroit trains in Lakeland, which is close to his Orlando residence. Even getting on a plane from Detroit to Orlando wouldn't be a long trip.

steig
09-10-2006, 09:40 AM
I think you should at least test the market for Griffey, and that may have been happenning. We don't know what the current market is for Griffey. Griffey is my favorite player but to me he is a great player who came to the Reds. Not a great Reds player who I can't see leaving. He will certainly wear a Seattle cap into the Hall of Fame. So see what you can get for him. But if we trade Griffey, what happens to our lineup. If we get a good young pitcher for Griffey then our offense would be even less. The team has been struggling to score runs since we got rid of kearns and Lopez. All of a sudden we want to trade Griffey and there are plenty of threads calling for Dunn to get traded in the off season. Maybe we should trade one of these guys for a big time shortstop.... Hey, how about trying to work a deal for A-Rod?

Always Red
09-10-2006, 10:10 AM
This team needs, now more than ever since he has been here, Junior's offense. His defense in CF is a liability at this point, only because he cannot run as he used to because of age and (mostly) injury to his legs. The Reds need to talk to him about moving to one of the corner positions, either LF or RF. Dunn, realistically, can only play LF, so it's probably RF by default. 1B is not an option, IMO.

I think it's fine to test the open market and see what Junior is worth. In fact, Kriv should be doing that for all of the Reds, including Adam Dunn. Nothing wrong with seeing what's out there, what's available, and what your own players are worth. I'm sure he has been doing this all along. The Tigers have a lot of pitching; I'm not sure that you can get top line pitching for Junior anymore, but what do I know??

Well, I know one thing for sure- if we trade away Griffey for pitching, as in this thread, and Dunn for pitching, as in another current thread, we'll be left with no hitting at all. Where's the power going to come from, other than Edwin? Aurilia? no way, anything you can get from Rich right now should be seen as a bonus; not something to be counted on, he's not an everyday player, not a part of the future.

I'm firmly believe if you're going to win ballgames in GAPB, that you have to be able to hit, and not just singles.

No question about it, Junior is a sure fire, first ballot HoF'er, and certainly a Seattle Mariner at that.

Krusty
09-10-2006, 10:41 AM
I think either Junior or Dunn will be dealt in the offseason and the one remaining will play LF.

With that said, I do expect the Reds to go out and get a cheaper replacement to either play RF or CF (Freel & Denorfia playing the other position).

Priorities this offseason should be closer, another starting pitcher, closer and possibly a shortstop (if Phillips remains at second base).

Spring~Fields
09-10-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm firmly believe if you're going to win ballgames in GAPB, that you have to be able to hit, and not just singles.

Steel shows us every year, and updates us very skillfully regarding RS vs. RA. and the differential. The win loss record validates and confirms Steels work to be very accurate each year. The Reds have had hitting for years and could not win because they did not have the pitching to do so because they allow too many runs to be scored against them. Krivsky if he can needs to upgrade the pitching anyway possible, and then he can find more bats to hit, pitching first especially at the Great American Ball Park.

Always Red
09-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Steel shows us every year, and updates us very skillfully regarding RS vs. RA. and the differential. The win loss record validates and confirms Steels work to be very accurate each year. The Reds have had hitting for years and could not win because they did not have the pitching to do so because they allow too many runs to be scored against them. Krivsky if he can needs to upgrade the pitching anyway possible, and then he can find more bats to hit, pitching first especially at the Great American Ball Park.
I agree with all you say as regards pitching, and have also followed Steels work here.

If you trade Dunn and Griffey for pitching, then you need to replace their bats. Freel and Deno can't do it; so you'll need to bring someone else in. If that's the plan, then that's fine.

I agree that we need more pitching, you can never have enough.

Just saying that you're probably not going to win too many 3-2 games at GAPB. Those same stats also show that the place is a HR mecca.

Spring~Fields
09-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I agree with all you say as regards pitching, and have also followed Steels work here.

If you trade Dunn and Griffey for pitching, then you need to replace their bats. Freel and Deno can't do it; so you'll need to bring someone else in. If that's the plan, then that's fine.

I agree that we need more pitching, you can never have enough.

Just saying that you're probably not going to win too many 3-2 games at GAPB. Those same stats also show that the place is a HR mecca.

I believe that you are correct that he would have to replace them with capable offensive players that can also play some defense. I also believe that Krivsky will face the catch 22, in that quality pitching is so limited that a GM from another team is not likely to trade them away to the Reds for Dunn or Griffey. After seeing some of his pitching aquisitions I am more concerned that he might trade them away and end up with more Joe Mays types vs a Harang plus type.

EKURed
09-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I think a major priority for the offseason should be another bat. That is if Griffey and Dunn BOTH return. The Reds need a proven right handed hitter. Their bullpen is no better, but their offense is definitely worse. There has to be a power bat on the market the Reds can make a run at.

REDREAD
09-12-2006, 12:20 PM

Yes, that's the problem. Next year, the bats I feel most comfortable with are Jr, Dunn, and EdE.

I expect Ross and Hat to regress. Phillips will be ok, but we can't expect him to have another 2 month hot streak like he did when he first arrived here. Aurillia may move on to greener pastures (or if he returns, regress).

This past month, the offense has been downright painful to watch. Jr is no longer an AllStar, but if you replace his bat with Deno or Hopper, this offense is really going to sputter.

I'd like the Reds to keep Jr because they aren't going to get much for him if they dump him anyhow. I don't even think "payflex" is a valid argument anymore, when the Paul Byrds of the world get 7-8 million/year. In other words, Jr's fair market value of his salary is 9.5 million/year. That doesn't buy you premium talent on the FA market anymore.

So, I'd rather keep Jr next year and add a bat. Sure, we need pitching too, I'm not suggesting we neglect that.

westofyou
09-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Griffey's post AS Game Line

.246/.330/.415/.745

Looks like he's ours.